Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 101

Thread: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

  1. #1
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    The scene was crazy - the entire top level on the eastern end was bought out by a single Lithuanian basketball club. They arrived wearing matching shirts: Those in the top third wore yellow shirts, those in the middle third wore green and those on the bottom third wore red shirts making a huge human lithuanian flag. I would say that there were 2000-3000 people there with this single club all sitting together.

    I have to be honest with you - these folks were there to have a good time. And it was a little contagious. There was a charm and a spirit behind this solid pack of fans that reminded me of european football matches. Or at least of a wild NCAA crowd. It was great to see fans actually into things.

    To say these folks were enthusiastic is a gross understatement. They were doing the wave. Dozens of times. They were singing a national song. Clapping in unison. And they would go absolutely ape-**** at the most random times (usually when the Lithuanian guy from the Bulls ended up on the big screen - and he didn't even dress for the game).

    Then I started to get annoyed.

    After a while, their enthusiastic cheering and chanting had almost nothing to do with the game itself. They would chant while the hometown Bulls were shooting free throws (remember Chandler missing 2 in a row). They would begin a song after a foul. The would do the wave during timeouts.

    The bulls couldn't concentrate during most of the game - the strange timing of the crowd noise seemed to have them a little spooked.

    They also couldn't seem to get on the same page on who to root for. When Sarunas came into the game the noise was deafening. (And this was the sequnce of plays for him: 1) Gets picked HARD resulting in a Bulls basket - 2) Turns the ball over 3) loses his man again. 4) Misses a wide-open 16 footer. None of that reduced the Lithuanian contingency's excitement.

    When he hit his back-to-back 3's, the lady behind me asked her husband "why are they rooting for the other team now?" Her husband said "I don't think they really care that much about the Bulls." I turned around and told them that the guy that hit the baskets was Lithuanian.

    They half laughed: "HaHa. Oh ... Uh ... Okay."

    Around the start of the 4th quarter, things started to get a little out of control. The bulls pep squad or whatever you want to call them were using cannons to shoot wadded up t-shirts up into the upper decks. Some in the "flag zone" seemed to thing that throwing things was a GREAT idea. First came wadded bits of paper - then came souvenirs.

    My wife said "Holy ****. That paper airplane nearly hit the court!"

    And then it started. The paper airplanes were raining down, and the Lithuanian crowd was loving it. As an airplane got close to the court, the cheers would increase. Eventually, two airplanes mad it onto the court and I was mad as hell.

    Anyone here accidentally step on a piece of paper on a slick court? Anyone not get hurt when it happened?

    Now, does anyone remember a sort of nonsensical time out called by Carlisle just before our collapse? You might not know this. At the time, the Pacers were coming up the court and there were 2 paper airplanes on our side of the court. The refs didn't seem to notice.

    What was already a crazy situation suddenly found focus in the cheapest of ways. The big screen put up a "noise-o-meter" which is a fake way to get the crowd to cheer during an inbounds. The louder the crowd cheers, supposedly the higher the meter goes. Anyone who's been to a game knows that only little kids fall for this kind of thing. Well, little kids and Lithuanians. They completely erupted at the sight of this thing. You couldn't think during this noise.

    Someone took notice. I could hear the sound guy now: "What the hell? The noise-ometer WORKED?!?!? Let's try it again!"

    The bulls AV guy used the thing at least a dozen times in the last 8 minutes of the game. The most jarring thing was that suddenly the crowd noise was focused and timed with the events on the court. The Bulls got in rythm. No, not just in rythm. They got PUMPED! The Pacers on the other hand looked confused an bewildered.

    There is NO WAY our guys could have heard each other on the court. There is no way they could have heard anything from the bench. They were blowing plays, running into each other. It was chaos.

    As the game got closer and closer, the crowd got more into it as the rest of the stadium joined in with the flag brigade. I buried my head in my hands. I felt like someone punched me in the stomach. I really did feel like I was going to throw up.

    Now before any of our Lith members come on here and feel like what I had to say was an insult to the country of Lithuania: let me tell you this: They were Chicago people first and fore-most. And the "participation" of this crowd directly resulted in a Bulls win. The Pacers loss was a side effect. And I expected this crowd to root for the home team. I was just floored by the WAY they rooted.

    And to the admins: I would prefer that this post stay in the Pacers forum and stay open as long as possible. But if trash ensues, I don't mind those offending posts be moved elsewhere.

    Thanks.

    Go Pacers.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    You should have seen fans in Greece and Turkey, they are throwing coins into the floor. and when they play eachother, they might throw their friends into the floor.

    I'm from Israel, and our fans are not known for begin polite too. I was once sitting with this girl from Sweden in a match, and she was horrified by the fact we boo the other team when their players are introduced, and during the game. She said that's not sportsmanship. It never occured to me before, but it was kinda true (not that I stopped booing for a moment).

    Anyway, sorry you had this bad experience.

  3. #3
    Member Mushmouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    39
    Posts
    545

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    So funny - I was just off the block of seats occupied by the Lithuanian club. Your post mirrors what I was going to post almost identically. Except I would have added that the Lithunian women were gorgeous. Also, I'd say it was more like 4 thousand. Almost 1/3 of the upper deck!

    The noise-o-meter cheering was rock concert levels. It definitely affected play...

    Nobody was paying attention over there, and the noise was totally distracting. At the same time I was enjoying the enthusiasm and sideshow until we blew the lead.

    What a brutal game to attend.

  4. #4
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    So I take it the NBA Fan Code of Conduct doesn't apply in Chicago? Do they even have those retarded signs up any more?

    A couple weeks ago I had a fleeting thought of going to the game. Now I'm glad I didn't (even if my Bulls did win).

  5. #5
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,826

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now I'm glad I didn't (even if my Bulls did win).
    This thing clearly isn't working...........

    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  6. #6
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    They showed the Liths quite a few times on TV. However they did not seem to be too loud. Only when they were chanting for Saras.

    I'm pretty sure the whole situation must have blown the Bulls fans' minds.

    But throwing stuff onto the court?
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  7. #7
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    I love the enthusiasm of European fans.

  8. #8
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,866

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    They showed them on TV a few times and you could certainly tell that they were a distraction.

  9. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,771

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    So in other words the Pacers lost because of Saras and his fans

  10. #10
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So in other words the Pacers lost because of Saras and his fans
    HAHAHA - no not really. The Pacers still lost the game.

    And to be clear, the crowd seemed to like the Lith guy from the bulls more tha Saras.

  11. #11
    Kuziukas
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    We were rooting for both teams, what do you think, that's one in a long while event, organized by lithuanian basketball club Zalgiris in Chicago. And those airplanes, well there're all kinds of people. And was it fun there, hell yeah it was.

  12. #12
    Kestas
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They showed them on TV a few times and you could certainly tell that they were a distraction.
    you are funny!
    btw, that should explain rather poor results of USA NT in recent competitions as all ot he arena was of a simmilar mood

    the following image is from Lithuanian news board.

    Thanks go to Audrius (c)

    note how calm these people are! I suppose they were cheering for the Bulls and for Saras. Bulls are a team, Saras is a player. games are won by a team. so they wanted Saras to play and Bulls to win (or maybe they did not care much ). besides, they probably know by heart how many minutes Saras has got lately and this gives them no reason whatsoever to like the Pacers more than Bulls. besides, Bulls have Songaila..

    and why did you mention the wave during the timeouts? we never make waves during the games, unless the home team is winning convincingly. timeouts are created for the waves..
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    3ballinhoop
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    It is known that this celebrating, expressive fanship does not exist in american basketball and as always, what is different from the known and familiar is mostly not accepted; it's like that everywhere. However, my perception is that fans should be just as loud and colorful as possible. It's sports, not opera, and I consider following the fan spectacle half the entertainment of any sports game I attend live.
    I understand your reaction because this was new to you, but just like the shocked establishment grew to accept Elvis and his swinging hips, NBA watchers might actually have something to learn here.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3ballinhoop
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is known that this celebrating, expressive fanship does not exist in american basketball and as always, what is different from the known and familiar is mostly not accepted; it's like that everywhere. However, my perception is that fans should be just as loud and colorful as possible. It's sports, not opera, and I consider following the fan spectacle half the entertainment of any sports game I attend live.
    I understand your reaction because this was new to you, but just like the shocked establishment grew to accept Elvis and his swinging hips, NBA watchers might actually have something to learn here.

  15. #15
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuziukas
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We were rooting for both teams, what do you think, that's one in a long while event, organized by lithuanian basketball club Zalgiris in Chicago. And those airplanes, well there're all kinds of people. And was it fun there, hell yeah it was.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. It was really entertaining until the line was crossed.

    But you're wrong about the paper airplanes coming from "all kinds of people". The paper airplanes came from the Lithuanian section only. I'm certain of that. But also to be fair, I saw at least 5 of them being thrown,and it was mostly children throwing them.

    I honestly wonder if I would have felt differently about the situation if the Pacers had won.

    If I were part of that club, I would have had probably the best time ever at an NBA game. Part of me feels that the crowd should be that enthusiastic everywhere. It just needed help in following the actual game. It also needed help in following the common sense of not throwing things at the court. You'd think that after the brawl that wouldn't have to be said. The fact that it was another Pacers road game made it unforgivable.

  16. #16
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love the enthusiasm of European fans.
    I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but I love it. I don't approve of throwing things, but the cheering, singing, etc. is great.

  17. #17
    3ballinhoop
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    The "well, there are all kind of people" phrase does not refer to the crowd in general, but to the lithuanian crowd. He simply means he is not responsible for what some individuals are doing.

  18. #18
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3ballinhoop
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is known that this celebrating, expressive fanship does not exist in american basketball and as always, what is different from the known and familiar is mostly not accepted; it's like that everywhere. However, my perception is that fans should be just as loud and colorful as possible. It's sports, not opera, and I consider following the fan spectacle half the entertainment of any sports game I attend live.
    I understand your reaction because this was new to you, but just like the shocked establishment grew to accept Elvis and his swinging hips, NBA watchers might actually have something to learn here.
    I have always given a polite golf clap at NBA games, especially in the playoffs when teams need to focus, and thats the way it will stay.

    The European fans and their barbaric cheering has no place within an American professional sports arena.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  19. #19
    Member Mushmouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    39
    Posts
    545

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kestas
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you are funny!
    btw, that should explain rather poor results of USA NT in recent competitions as all ot he arena was of a simmilar mood

    the following image is from Lithuanian news board. thanks go to Vilmis, though I don't know if he made the shot.
    note how calm these people are! I suppose they were cheering for the Bulls and for Saras. Bulls are a team, Saras is a player. games are won by a team. so they wanted Saras to play and Bulls to win (or maybe they did not care much ). besides, they probably know by heart how many minutes Saras has got lately and this gives them no reason whatsoever to like the Pacers more than Bulls. besides, Bulls have Songaila..

    and why did you mention the wave during the timeouts? we never make waves during the games, unless the home team is winning convincingly. timeouts are created for the waves..
    Nobody in the Lithuanian section was paying ANY attention to the game- and the Wave was going continuously during play and during timeouts. The chanting and singing had no correlation to the game. I'm not blaming anybody, or even taking exception to the behavior, I thought it was just a group having a great time, but to insinuate these were good basketball fans is just not true. Unless good basketball fan in Europe = yelling, screaming, chanting and not paying one lick of attention to the action on the floor.

  20. #20
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have always given a polite golf clap at NBA games, especially in the playoffs when teams need to focus, and thats the way it will stay.

    The European fans and their barbaric cheering has no place within an American professional sports arena.
    Not true.

    I don't think you've ever been to a ND or Texas football game.

  21. #21
    3ballinhoop
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have always given a polite golf clap at NBA games, especially in the playoffs when teams need to focus, and thats the way it will stay.

    The European fans and their barbaric cheering has no place within an American professional sports arena.
    Well, that's just great for you, sport.
    I don't really care about how you as an individual enjoy and live your games, but having visited all kinds of arenas, I know that the fans themselves provide almost the same show and entertainment as the athletes themselves in a real fan atmosphere. The fans in such an environment are the biggest reason for me to rather watch a game in the arena compared to watching it on tv.
    Also, enthusiastic fans are the so called 6th man on the court that really give home teams an edge. Apparently the advantage of playing at home in the NBA is limited to not having to fly or spend the night before the match in a hotel.

  22. #22
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but I love it. I don't approve of throwing things, but the cheering, singing, etc. is great.
    No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

    I really do enjoy it.

    I was talking about this in the game thread last night, but during my stay in Indiana I didn't have the greatest experience with cheering. I wish I could be a part of a group like the Europeans, where you're constantly standing, cheering, yelling, encouraging, etc. But during the 2 games I saw at Conseco, I liked to stand up and yell words of encouragement after what I thought to be big-time plays (momentum changing 3 pointer, dunk, etc.).

    Let's just say, bad decision from where I was sitting. I got many stares, in particular from the people in front of me who seemed royally pissed off. Those people in front of me didn't even watch the game for the most part, so I must have been a nuissance to their conversation. They didn't even clap their hands or anything. And they had courtside seats...I mean come on.

    Maybe it was because I had such good seats? I don't know. Either way, I "apologized" for cheering my team on, because it was very noticiable that they were upset with me. They didn't say much, until I told them that I had travelled all the way from Toronto. At that point they realized all the money that had gone into the vacation and reluctantly replied "Well, I guess you should be able to cheer then - you've paid enough!"........................

  23. #23
    3ballinhoop
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    You can't forget this group was some sort of club of lithuanians in Chicago. Most probably aren't basketball fans which would explain that they don't follow the game that much.

  24. #24
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    rcarey - that's a terrible, terrible story. I'm sorry you went through that. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

    Remember that many tickets are sold to companies that give them away to clients and other non-fans.

  25. #25
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not true.

    I don't think you've ever been to a ND or Texas football game.
    Okay, I expected some not to catch the sarcasm, but not you.

    And I was a regular contributor to the Mad House on Market Street. So I know what enthusiastic fandom is all about.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •