Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA Draft 2006 Draft question

Sports Logo

Default NBA Draft 2006 Draft question

Currently, we have the 17th pick in the Draft.

Various NBA draft sites have us picking the following players:

HoopsHype - 19th pick - Randy Foye (SG)
    NbaDraft.net - 19th pick - Glen Davis (PF)
    DraftExpress.com - 17th pick - Randy Foye (SG)

Anyone know anything about this Randy Foye kid?

With the way the draft stock of various players that did well in the NCAA Tournament....like Tyrus Thomas or Joakim Noah....there maybe some decent ( but not outstanding ) yet solid players that drop all the way to the Pacers. The draft may not have any future superstars....but if Walsh/Bird do their homework....we maybe able to get a decent yet solid player for the future.

Any thoughts?

BTW....it would be nice to dream of a player that will likely be picked in the top 10......but players like Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy aren't likely to drop to the 17th spot. Steals like Granger don't pop up that often.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Default Re: NBA Draft 2006 Draft question

I like Big Baby's footwork, touch, postup ability, and other skills but he is out of gas after running up and down the court twice.

If anyone could get him in shape he could be good.

Or he could be Tractor Traylor or Hot Plate Williams or a shorter Oliver Miller.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Just want to get this out there before someone calls me out on it - yes Rajon Rondo announced today he is going to hire an agent and intends to make himself eligible for the draft.

Not that I think he'd be good for the Pacers. Can't comment further on that issue.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I think Redick will slide on draft day, and I think he will be a solid but not spectacular pro. He would be a good find for someone picking in the teens, probably before 17.

Rondo is a really good athlete, but I have difficulty finding it desirable at all to pick guards that can't shoot very well.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I would like.....

Rudy Fernandez (SG) - 6'6 172
    Rajon Rondo (PG) - 6'2 171 (only if we have traded some of our other PGs)
    Richard Roby (SG) - 6'6 190
    Maurice Ager (SG) - 6'4 202
    Al Horford (PF) - 6'9 235

2nd Round
    Paul Davis (C) - 6'10 260 (not sure he'd fall to us but possible)
    James White (SG) - 6'7 190

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Randy Foye would be a solid pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=11153
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

NBA draft has him going at #9. Not sure how happy I can be with a tweener though. Too small for SG and not a PG. Fred Jones is good enough to be our tweener.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just want to get this out there before someone calls me out on it - yes Rajon Rondo announced today he is going to hire an agent and intends to make himself eligible for the draft.

Not that I think he'd be good for the Pacers. Can't comment further on that issue.
    You were right in that Rondo should not be going pro until he develops a better jump shot...

I want the best SG available.

And my #1 criteria when selecting a shooting guard is the ability to shoot. #2 would be enough quickness, height, and length to defend other SGs. We probably won't get both of those from where we pick.

The ability to beat his man off of the dribble is not required. I can get slashing from my SF.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman
    NBA draft has him going at #9. Not sure how happy I can be with a tweener though. Too small for SG and not a PG. Fred Jones is good enough to be our tweener.
    I don't think Freddie will be resigned, so that alone might make Randy Foye a candidate that Pacers scouts are seriously looking at.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

If we are going big I want Eric Hicks. If we are going for a point guard.......then I have no friggin idea of who to pick. I can't think of any NBA caliber points out there. Dee Brown is the only one I can think of and he isn't a half-court kind of guy, I don't see him as some great assist man.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Btw might it not be better for the Pacers to trade away this years pick together with a player who we would sign and trade (Freddie?) for a higher pick next year?

From what I have heard this years crop is not going to be much good anyway, certainly not compared to what I have heard becomes eligible for the draft in 2007.

Regards,

Mourning

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    I like Big Baby's footwork, touch, postup ability, and other skills but he is out of gas after running up and down the court twice.

If anyone could get him in shape he could be good.

Or he could be Tractor Traylor or Hot Plate Williams or a shorter Oliver Miller.
    The first thing that I thought of when I saw the profile for Big Baby is that the guy is way overweight. Short PF ( 6'8" ) that weigh 310 pounds is a future Oliver Miller waiting to happen.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Anyone know who the top perimeter defenders at the PG/SG/SF are for the draft?

IMHO...we need roleplayers ( Rebounders / shotblockers / defenders ) more then we need shooters or scorers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    The first thing that I thought of when I saw the profile for Big Baby is that the guy is way overweight. Short PF ( 6'8" ) that weigh 310 pounds is a future Oliver Miller waiting to happen.
    Although I don't think he'll make a good pro, he's on the far end of the spectrum from Oliver Miller. Their weight is the only comparison.

Davis is an extremely athletic man for being that big. He moves with fluidity, and has very quick feet. He gets up and down the court without struggling, and has an array of dribbling moves.

If he was 2-3 inches taller, at that weight, he would be a big time prospect. His weight isn't his downside, it's his height.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Sports Logo

I guess that this leads to the obvious question....do we draft the best player available ( the likely choice )?

or

Do we draft for position / need?

The standard answer would be to draft the best player available and sort out the mess afterwards. But unless a lottery pick drops all the way to the 17th+ spot....I would guess that its a safe bet to assume that we wouldn't draft a SF and ( to a lesser degree ) a Center in the 1st round.

That said....based off of what you think will happen in the offseason...whether we resign Freddie, Peja, both or neither......what position/players would you consider in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection
    You were right in that Rondo should not be going pro until he develops a better jump shot...
    I can't make comment on Rajon, given my professional situation. I think that he needs more game maturing in college though, I can say that.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman
    Yep. Don't want him. We already have Fred, and he's probably going to leave because we don't want him that badly.

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    If we are going big I want Eric Hicks.
    I don't know who this guy is, but I'd buy his jersey.

Sports Logo

Odd, in the span of 3 hours........NBADraft.net moved the Pacers up to the 15th spot picking up Al Horford ( PF ) from Florida.

James Augustine...
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

So, I guess no one likes the idea of trading this years pick and say Freddie in a sign & trade for a (much) higher and very likely a much better pick next year when the draft is said to be much deeper?

Regards,

Mourning

Sports Logo

IMHO...I think that we need to draft a 3rd string PG or SG.

1st round - LEON POWE - A PF that can score in the paint and back up JO, no more Austin Croshere backing up the 4.
    2nd round - SEAN DOCKERY - Can defend better then any guard on our team. We need him, its AJ but he is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    So, I guess no one likes the idea of trading this years pick and say Freddie in a sign & trade for a (much) higher and very likely a much better pick next year when the draft is said to be much deeper?

Regards,

Mourning
    It's not feasible. Teams aren't going to trade potential lottery picks, especially next years.