Default Toronto might trade lottery pick

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...&c=Article&cid

GM: Raptors have enough youngsters

Toronto needs veterans more, Colangelo says
    James says he's not changing his run-and-gun style

Apr. 4, 2006. 01:00 AM
    JIM BYERS
    SPORTS REPORTER

The Raptors are all but certain to have a high pick in the NBA draft in June. But newly minted general manager Bryan Colangelo says they might not be using it.

In a telephone interview with the Star yesterday, Colangelo said there could be players in the draft to help put Toronto on the road to contention. "But we could use our pick to leverage a deal to get veteran help right away," he said.

"There's no shortage of good, young talent" on the Raptors' roster, he said. "Another young guy with no experience may not be the best thing for this team."

While a trade for a veteran — perhaps a point guard or a big guy who can provide some toughness, interior defence and rebounding help for Bosh and Villanueva — would be one approach, Colangelo said a deal might not present itself. If there is no trade, it appears the draft will be deep enough to provide the Raptors with some help.

The Raptors still don't know if point guard Mike James will be back with the team next year. James will be a free agent and has said he wants a major pay hike, and it's unclear if the Raptors will meet his demands.

"We'll have to look at ways to cover that hole (in the roster) if it becomes a hole," Colangelo said.

"You can certainly look at the point guard spot and say, `that's a need' for Toronto.

Colangelo wasn't prepared to enter a debate as to whether the team wants James back next year, or at what price. Asked if he'd like to see James shift from being a combination shooting guard/point guard to a classic point man, Colangelo paused. "At this stage," he said, "I'm not sure you can suddenly become something you're not."

Coach Sam Mitchell said players can adjust, but he didn't want to debate whether James should change his style.

James, who'll turn 31 in June, is scoring almost 20 points a game and has bailed the Raptors out of trouble several times this year.

He has scored 99 points in his last five games, with 47 assists. But he's shooting just 34.6 per cent in those games, well below his season average of 46.9 per cent.

James, who came to the Raptors in a deal that sent troubled guard Rafer Alston to Houston, said he's not a typical point guard. And he said he's not changing his game.

"If they did their research on me ... I've been jackin' my whole career. If you didn't like my style of play, you shouldn't have ever traded for me in the first place."

"Everyone is so quick to talk about my shooting, but no one is quick to talk about how over the last five games ... I've been averaging over 10 assists a game.

James said he wants to play for a team that believes in him.

"I'm tired of rebuilding. I believe in my heart I can help a team win an NBA championship.

"I've proved myself enough in this game where I want my own keys," he said.

"I want to be able to roam the yard without no leash on, trusting that I'm not going to hop the fence and I ain't gonna do nothing stupid.

"I'm a veteran. I know how to make plays. I know how to be a point guard. I know how to put myself in great situations. But my thing is, I'm a player, and if being a player ain't enough in this game, I'm sorry."

************************************************** *******************************

If James walks then maybe they would like one of our point guards for that pick.

Default Re: Toronto might trade lottry pick

One of our point guards for a top 5 pick? LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of our point guards for a top 5 pick? LMAO
    Sad thing is, it would probably take 2 of our point guards to make that deal.
    There's something about trading for a top 5 pick with Toronto that I don't like. I just can't put my finger on why though...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Eddie Gill for their draft pick. I think if we throw in JO and a re-signed Peja, it'll get done....
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

SJax, Tinsley, and our #1 for theirs?

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo

The only player that Toronto would want is Peja.....for marketing purposes and for additional 3pt shooting.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I don't think a trade will happen with the Pacers. I think Toronto will get much better offers than the Pacers'. But if it did, I'd imagine it would look something like this:

Tinsley, Foster and the Pacers' #1 for Mike James (sign and trade) and Toronto's #1

The trade gives Toronto a PG to replace James, the veteran rebounding presence they're looking for (Foster), and a middle-of-the-pack draft pick, which could still yield a decent player. Pacers get a veteran PG who can shoot, defend, and stay healthy (sounds like a Carlisle type of PG) and the lottery pick.

I don't know if I'd do that deal. You get the lottery pick and a good PG, but I hate giving up Foster. It leaves a lot of minutes for Harrison, but is he ready for that? It would also mean we'd have to find another big man, which means either we get Toronto to throw in Araujo (yuck), we draft one, or sign a stiff for the minimum.

Another option I see is:

Peja (sign and trade), Tinsley, and the Pacers' #1 for Mike James (sign and trade), one other Toronto player, and Toronto's #1.

I like this one a bit better. Pacers get a good PG, another player, the lottery pick, and it would allow Granger to start. Toronto gets a good player (Peja) that will help them convince Bosh to stay, a PG to replace James, and a decent draft pick.

Once again, I don't think a deal would happen between the Pacers and the Raptors. Those are just a couple deals I think we'd see if it were to happen. I think Toronto will get better offers or they'll just hold onto the pick.

Sports Logo

In a healthy universe.....there would be no problem trading Tinsley......in our universe.......Tinsley doesn't have the same trading value as other starting PGs cuz of his penchant for getting injured.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

You can't S&T Peja, because he's not available for an S&T until July, and by then Toronto will have already traded the pick.

Also, they're not going to trade a pick for a player they can sign outright.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy
    Sad thing is, it would probably take 2 of our point guards to make that deal.
    There's something about trading for a top 5 pick with Toronto that I don't like. I just can't put my finger on why though...

Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    The only player that Toronto would want is Peja.....for marketing purposes and for additional 3pt shooting.
    Tins and a swap of #1's would be my offer. I'd probably throw in Fred if it would seal the deal. Then I would take the best point guard available.

I suspect they'll try to trade the pick to the Bucks for Jamaal Magloire. Other picks/players might need to be involved, but it makes sense for both teams.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    I suspect they'll try to trade the pick to the Bucks for Jamaal Magloire. Other picks/players might need to be involved, but it makes sense for both teams.
    Yep, makes sense!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Too bad that AD was just cut and Bender just retired.

Bender to Toronto for AD and their lottery pick sounds good to me.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tinsley, Johnson, Foster, and our #1 for Mike James, possible filler, and their #1.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bosh has told management he wants Mike James to be on the team. They won't even entertain a sign-and-trade trade offer for him unless it's cant-miss.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo

I don't like any deal with Foster included.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Bosh has told management he wants Mike James to be on the team. They won't even entertain a sign-and-trade trade offer for him unless it's cant-miss.
    JO said he'd only play for Isiah, too.

Default Re: Toronto might trade lottery pick

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options in terms of trading with Toronto for a lottery pick. However, due to the fact that this draft is perceived as weak, and Toronto is looking for a veteran PG, which we have 3 of, makes it look a little more likely. I could definitely see us trading Peja, Tinsley, our 1st, and AJ for Mo Pete, Mike James, and their 1st. Of course, if you want to get crazy about it, there's always the whispered rumors of JO for Bosh, with us throwing in Peja and Tinsley and our 1st for the 1st and Mike James.

But, like Kstat says, Magloire heading back to Canuckville is more likely.

Are they going to keep Bosh AND Villanueva? I wouldn't think so...

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy
    Are they going to keep Bosh AND Villanueva? I wouldn't think so...
    Yeah, they're going to try

Remember that Colangelo is at the front office now. This is a guy who isn't afraid of playing small ball, and knows how to create an up-tempo, run-and-gun team. Having two versatile power forwards up front doesn't scare him I'm sure.