Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PD forum party recap thread

Default PD forum party recap thread

Well, this was my first forum party, so it will definitely be my first recap...

I showed at about 6:30 and there were at least a dozen there already. I was greeted warmly and Peck immediately asked me the first topic of conversation; when did I become a Pacer fan, what made me a diehard fan, and what my favorite moment as Pacer fan was. I answered and the spotlight moved to everyone else in turn. I have to say, that was a great way to start (if you guys had just started when I got there) a forum party. It was fantastic to hear everyone's stories and get a feel for how long each person has been a Pacers fan...

We had good pizza and good conversation as quite a few others trickled in after me and we ended up a crowd of 24 or 25, with standing room only...It was great to get to put faces to alot of the familiar names here at PD and definitely worth the drive down for a rare opportunity to get to meet PD's gracious host, able. I wouldn't have thought someone from so far away could have the same passion (or more) than the rest of us right here in Indy's backyard. Able definitely takes the cake as farthest traveled for this one!

We spent a great amount of time getting around the room asking for opinions on the Stephen Jackson/Al Harrington trade...I thought Peck said 45 minutes, but it probably ended being over an hour...There were definitely compelling arguments made in all forms and from all sides of this trade, and I have to say that I could see everyone's point of view with a good amount of respect, and that I felt at the time that it was odd to agree with so many opposing sides at the same time. The talk was very friendly and very lively at the same time, and the evening was well moderated by Peck, as I've read he has a habit of doing. You certainly added to the experience Peck, so hats off to you!

We talked about Carlisle, and whether we wanted him gone, or wanted players gone...Once again, everyone made good points to back up their opinions. I thought that we covered most every angle possible in what is a complicated question to answer.

It was getting toward the 9:30pm closing time for Pizza King, so we kind or wrapped it up with a more informal questioning of whether JO was the problem or the solution, and we kind of broke down into the transition period of getting organized for the group photo, props to the waitress for finally getting everyone's attention by the way; and the saying-goodbye and figuring out who was going to Perkins time period...

I had ordered a large pizza to go around 9:10, so I gathered my pizza up and cruised for home as everyone who was still hanging on was talking and getting organized for the trip to Perkins outside...I don't have a Pizza King in Huntington, the closest ones are Wabash (20 miles) and Ft. Wayne as I learned last night from Ragnar (20 miles or so also)....That is the only reason I took one to go after snacking on Pizza King all evening too!

All in all, a very nice party and a warm welcome from a great group of people. The stragglers that showed up later than I were afforded the same welcome, and joined right in the group and conversation. Anyone who hasn't made it around for one, it will be worth your multi-hour drive (no excuses for you people in Indy who haven't made it to one!) even if you deprive yourself of the experience of Perkins' pie along with a little more engaging conversation. In retrospect I would've loved to have stayed for more, but I needed to get my tired butt home after a long week that merely culminated with a trip and late night to Indy on Thursday and on Friday...My apologies, and I will definitely be in it for longer the next time a party is held!!

I didn't take my camera, but there were several people who had them, so I hope to see some pictures, including the group shots, soon. Able had a nice camera also, and took many pictures...Alas, he has to make it back home to England, and his camera was 35mm, not digital...We need to make the push now to convince him to scan and post what he did take. I'm sure they will be good!

Great party, and thanks go to everyone who attended, including Jose for doing a great job of getting us the reservation and taking care of the menu, the collection of funds, and the bill. You made the evening painless for the rest of us!

The attendance list as I saw it is below, and I may be wrong on a couple; I got several real world names, and alot of PD nicks...

Doug in OH
    Gamble
    Displaced Knick
    Mr. & Mrs. RWB? (great story about Cheryl Miller, btw!!)
    Roaming Gnome
    Hicks
    brichard
    Kegboy
    Grace
    Mr. & Mrs. hoopsforlife
    Shade
    Able
    Ragnar
    Peck
    UncleBuck
    Doug
    Jose Slaughter
    Tim
    Since86
    Believe in Blue
    wickedstick
    MagicRat

I know there was at least one more person, maybe two...

We need to have another one of these before the season ends or right after!!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

woman without a team

Default Re: PD forum party recap thread

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mr. & Mrs. RWB? (great story about Cheryl Miller, btw!!)
    Close, it was Mr. & Mrs. BillS. The Mrs. certainly knows basketball. If she's not posting she should.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Close, it was Mr. & Mrs. BillS. The Mrs. certainly knows basketball. If she's not posting she should.
    Aw shoot, I knew that!! I just plain forgot...Thanks Grace!

My apologies to BillS and Mrs. BillS....it's not that you weren't memorable, it's that I don't have a great memory! I remember now that Grace posted it, you introduced yourselves that way....

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Let's have a grace recap! Yeeeeaaaahhh!!!!

btw very nice recap heywoode
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Let's have a grace recap! Yeeeeaaaahhh!!!!

btw very nice recap heywoode
    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Ignore
    That's your grace recap.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Unfortunately I just couldn't make it. I was just way too tired. I was at work for 8 hours, went to get abel for 4, went to the game for a couple, helped find a hotel for ... what? 4 more hours. Went straight to work for 12 hours, and when I got home .....

DEAD!

I couldn't get my *** up to do anything. I slept for 14 hours. Only reason I woke up then, was because people were doing woodwork on my house. The sound of a table saw, and hammering broke through my happy sleep time.

I'll get to the next one.

Oh, and huge thank you to whoever left the tickets for Abel and a guest.

I volunteered long before I knew an extra ticket existed, but it was one hell of a plus. Thank you very much. Whoever you are.

Double post baby, oooh yeah.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Finally back in Basketball Hell (example: coming home from the airport I tried to catch the results of the Florida/George Mason game. City has three "sports" radio stations, it's NCAA Semis night and what do they have? Hockey, Arena Football, and a talk show about baseball. ARRRGGGGH!)

Brenda and I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Peck was a fantastic moderator who kept everyone involved. Uncle Buck is as skilled in person as on the forum. Ragnar only foamed at the mouth slightly when the conversation turned to Tinsley. In spite of all our fears, Tim didn't burst a blood vessel over Harrington. Doug is not a Borg, and neither is Hicks (I think he left the Ban Hammer in the car, though Grace's Ignore sign did prove somewhat useful ). Upon meeting the real thing, I might have to vote differently in the next "Who is the best Kegboy" poll. Shade definitely needed to eat more pizza, and it was great to see some young guys like believeinblue, since86, and DiamondDave keeping us old farts honest - well, except for DisplacedKnick, who wouldn't hold that "Thank You, Reggie" sign no matter what we tried. And, I know MagicRat was there, but every time I tried to find him he looked like someone different...

Unfortunately, we had to leave Perkins before the Donnie Walsh brawl broke out, so I'm afraid I let my fellow Walsh Apologists Warriors down in the clutch - and I'm very disappointed I didn't get to hear DouginOH say "ol' buggeyes" even once.

Thanks, Jose, for putting it together, and thanks to Pacersfan46 for driving to Cincy to pick up able!
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I went to the original forum party and life just hasn't made it convenient for me to attend another one until now. And hey, what a great opportunity to meet friends from across the US (Bill and his wife) and across the globe with our friend able. Able crashed at my place and we just enjoyed watching yet another butt kicking of the Pacers.

Peck did do a great job of moderating and that is no small task for 20+ people. I definitely think Tim wins for being the most passionate of the night. It is good to see people stick to what they believe in.

I think on the topics:

1. Most believed Rick should go with a small contingent willing to wait and see what player moves could do. However, every man and woman agreed that Rick had lost this team. So, you get a new coach or you get a new (modified) team.

2. Al for Jax was debated, but I was comforted that most people left their hindsight at the door. If we could turn back time we all would swap Artest instead of Harrington, but some of us did not know how bad the trade would be as Jax was an unknown quantity.

3. JO the problem or solution was a pretty interesting question. As I remember it very few people were ready to lay this all at JO's feet. Lots of folks question his leadership/supporting cast, but there are a heck of a lot worse folks to lead your team than JO.

4. Kegboy started a point guard thread that had many different viewpoints represented. I don't think any of us are particularly happy with our production there, but many feel JT is as solid as any other player we could get. Could a better coach mold him in to the best player he can be? Emotions were mixed on the subject.

5. New coaches/potential coaches were mentioned. Former Pacer Mark Jackson seemed to be the clear favorite with other coaches mixed in. Peck was holding out for Derrick McKey.

6. Peck seemed fascinated with some Dale fellow.

7. I think Doug/Ohio wins for favorite moments when some team trash talked the Pacers only to hear his son say "We're up on you 3-0" Nice.

8. Bill S. is mean to kids who sit in front of him at Pacer games.

9. Doug brought up the hostile nature of the crowd and Doug/Ohio agreed. Dougie see, Dougie do.

10. Everybody missed Dancing Harry.

I think that is all I got. I had to leave at about 12:30 as I had to work today. Thanks to Ragnar who is picking able up tomorrow from my humble abode. As I've said before, attending forum parties is a blast. My best description is that it was like a live thread (without the smilies of course.)
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

PS... where are the pictures?
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by brichard
    7. I think Doug/Ohio wins for favorite moments when some team trash talked the Pacers only to hear his son say "We're up on you 3-0" Nice.
    Game 4 in Boston in 04 round one

some kid thought he could trash talk my son!
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

I just got a chance to get on here after a very busy day.

I'd like to thank everyone that made it to FP XI. If you guys don't show this thing doesn't work

I'd like to welcome Able, Doug in OH, Grace, Heywoode, Mr. & Mrs. Bill S, Mrs. Hoops for Life, Since 86 & Wickedstick onto the forum parties veterans list. This, I think, was our largest freshman class every.

Peck, as everyone has mention has done an outstanding job keeping the conversation lively. These gatherings would work without him but they would not be nearly as well attended & only a fraction as interesting as they are with him leading us.

I've said it before & I'll say it now & again....

Thanks for taking this little idea & making it something special.

I'm sure Peck will do a recap once he has the time but I do want to add a couple thoughts.

1. The general mood of the group lastnight toward out team was very negitive, as it is on the board. What we need to remember is, we are the hard core Pacer fans & we are beginning to turn away from this team. The causal fan & the local companies that get season tickets to use as perks for their employees & out of town guest, most likely have already done so.

My wife is a casual fan & she lost interest after the finals loss.

Artest has taken a toll.

Reggie being gone has taken a toll.

The full extend of what has happened over the past couple seasons has yet to be felt. What is happening now, on the court, will only make things worse.

A lot of people noticed a large portion of the crowd gone after Reggies ceremony the other night.

This team has not bottomed out yet. They might get a new coach & half the players might be gone by next season but they have killed their fan base & that will take years to get back. There are darker days ahead for this franchise.

2. On a related note the last topic that I was at Perkins to discuss was "Do you trust Bird or Walsh to fix this"?

I think the group at the time was Grace, Shade, Kegboy, Roaming Gnome, Diamond Dave, Hicks, Gamble, Peck, Doug in OH, Uncle Buck, myself & I'm thinking maybe one other guy but I'm not sure.

With the state that most feel this team is in, & this is just the opinion of the 11 or so at Perkins at the time. Everyone but myself thought that Walsh & or Bird could not fix this team.

Take a look at that list of names again & tell me that that consensus doesn't scare you. I have a great respect for each & everyone of those posters & the basketball knowledge they bring to this board. Each & everyone one of them believe that neither Donny Walsh nor Larry Bird can correct what is wrong with this team.

Like I said, things are going to get worse.

I hope Bball is driving a very big wagon casue there are gonna be a lot of people jumping on it over the next several months.

I need to tell them both again & I might as well do it here.

Hicks & Able

I don't know what we'd be doing with out you two.

Thanks

The next party will be following the NBA draft in late June or early July.

Tim

I would like to again apologize for my little outburst after what Peck said. I just find it shocking that Donnie resigned the-player-we-do-not-discuss after that incident.

For those who don't know what I am talking about, it really isn't that big of a deal, Peck said something unexpected and I reacted to it much the same way a fan reacts to a bad call by a ref.

There were several picture takers - could we get a few with some captions?
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in OH
    Yeah, could we?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Heh, the Pizza King in Wabash is nothing special. I think that it is rather distasteful compared to others. Then again, it may just be that I'm from Wabash and have grown to dislike the boring town.

Well it was the most unique forum party I've been to, the most argumentative, the natives are getting very restless. I'll let Peck do his normal re-cap as he does it much better than I do.

It was great to meet Able, I hope he enjoyed his journey, and Brichard deserves a special thank you for allowing Able to stay with him, and to Ragnar for taking him back to Cincy.

I arrived at 5:50 and Shade and Able were the only two there, but soon we had a full house, but I did not leave Perkins until 3:50 AM, 10 hours that just amazes me, I usually get bored with things after about 45 minutes.

Peck as always deserves special mention for moderating and this was by far the most difficult party to moderate, a lot of very strong opinions.

Great to meet Brichard, BillS, Grace and Doug in OH, they all added so much. But I must say Doug wasn't nearly as hostile as I expected.

For those who have never been to one of these, you need to come to at least one, I always say it is like two months worth of the forum condenced into a few hours.

That's enough for now

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in OH
    Mine aren't very good, since I was using my phone, but I'll try to get them posted later today.

Another fantastic party. It was great to meet all of the first timers, especially old-timers like BillS and DougInOH, and to see BRichard again.

Interestingly enough, I think there were 7 people at the 1st forum party. 4 of those (me, Jose, brichard, and rimfire (DisplacedKnick)) were at this edition.

Sorry I couldn't stay for the Perkin's edition. Although after I got home my wife said she wasn't expecting me until midnight, so it turns out I could have went for a while. Bummer.

As was mentioned, the mood was fairly negative toward the championship potential of this team, and toward the generally "likeability" of it. The consensus was that his team needs changes. Of course, there was no consensus on exactly what must be done. Whether changing the coach is enough, or changing some of the players, or a complete rebuilding. There was no love for the training staff, either.

I would also like to say it was great to meet Abel and to thank him in person for all he's done for us.

Edit:

Oh, and an extra "thank you" to Peck for the gift of the autographed Haywoode Workman card. I might have to get it framed.

And I'm surprised there weren't a few "unannouced" guests, with all of the people in town for the retirement game. So, if you're ever on the fence about going to one of these - get off the fence and come. Everybody's opinion is heard, and respected, even if nobody agrees with it. It's not a bunch of self-proclaimed 'experts' trying to show how smart they are, just a bunch of Pacer fans talking basketball.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

The masses want some pictures
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I only took a few pictures. I already posted the best group shot in the other thread.

I did catch Hicks in the middle of a daydream in one......

Here's a picture of able's flowing locks as he directed some traffic for the group photo......

Here's the only group photo I have with able in it. Unfortunately he decided to fidget with his glasses........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

18to88

Who is everybody in the picture?

The 3 people seated are Mrs. Bill S, Hicks in the center & Able on the right.

Ragnar is on the far left holding the Reggie sign.

Bill S is to his left.

Roaming Gnome is holding another Reggie sign.

Grace is next

BRichard is in the red shirt

Hoops for Life in yellow with his wife standing in front of him.

Heywoode on the far right in blue

Back on the other end.......

Gamble, Doug & the profile of a happy Tim.

Right behind Bill S. is Displaced Knick in blue & Since 86 in red.

Right behind Roaming Gnome are Believe in Blue & in the back, Peck

Just behind Grace are Kegboy & Doug in OH in the rear.

To the left of Doug in OH is Shade.

Uncle Buck is in black right behind BRichard

I'm on the end.

I'm not seeing Wickedstick? Did he slip out before hand?

18to88

I've seen some pictures from a previous party and for some reason I get Peck and Shade mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by 18to88
    I've seen some pictures from a previous party and for some reason I get Peck and Shade mixed up.

LOL. Sorry, I had to laugh at that

I decided to skip the Perkins thing myself - there was a whole bunch of pentup Pacers angst floating around. Don't think I had the energy for that. Of course if we'd been griping about the Knicks I'd still be talking.

I still don't understand why I was boo'd.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire