Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carlisle, team gearing up for the weekend.

Default Carlisle, team gearing up for the weekend.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacer...fs_040411.html

CELTICS CLINCH EIGHTH SEED
    Pacers Get Boston Rematch

By John Clayton
    Indianapolis, April 11, 2004
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jermaine O’Neal considered his team’s immediate future with the Boston Celtics and quickly determined it best to put the recent past to rest.

O'Neal

“That’s in the past. I’m not talking about it,” said O’Neal of his team’s 4-2 opening-round series loss to the Celtics a year ago. “We’re not focusing on who we’re playing, we’re focusing on what we’ve got to do – play good offense, good defense and not worry about the matchups with anybody.”

O’Neal and his Pacers teammates knew early Sunday afternoon they would be facing Boston in the opening round of the Eastern Conference Playoffs, which begin this weekend, for the second straight year. Dates and times are still to be determined. Boston secured the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference thanks to Philadelphia’s loss at New Jersey early Sunday. The Pacers will face the 76ers in Philadelphia Monday night.

Last year, the sixth-seeded Celtics eliminated the third-seeded Pacers with a 110-90 victory in Game 6 at Boston’s Fleet Center. This season, the Pacers have gotten the better of what has become an Eastern Conference rival in the Celtics, taking the season series 3-1. Two of those games, including a 78-76 loss at Conseco Fieldhouse on Nov. 11, were decided by a total of three points. The Pacers defeated Boston 99-98 at the Fieldhouse on Jan. 31 and won handily 103-90 and 99-81 at Fleet Center.

Coach Rick Carlisle said there is reason to be wary of the Celtics, despite the fact that they underwent two major trades that reshaped their roster, and changed coaches in midstream when John Carroll replaced Jim O’Brien.

Carlisle

“They’ll be a very tough opponent,” said Carlisle. “Any team that has Paul Pierce will be tough to play. Not only that, Chucky Atkins is a proven playoff player. They’ve got a lot of guys who can score the ball, so it’ll be a tough series. But we knew whoever we played, it was going to be tough. We’re going to have to do some work this week to get ready for that.”

The Pacers have two games remaining in the regular season – at Philadelphia and at home against Chicago in the season finale Wednesday. Carlisle said the Pacers will use those two games and a couple of days of preparation to try and sharpen their game. The fact that the team ran several suicide wind sprints at the end of practice on Easter Sunday could be one indication of how serious Carlisle sees the task at hand.

“We’ve got to keep an edge,” he said. “We’ve won three in a row now and I think it’s important that we continue to be a team that’s looking for more – a team that’s looking to get better and win more games and stay hungry. If we do that, we’ve got to do things hard at practice. We’ve got to run a few sprints. We’ve got to make sure that we’ve got a level of awareness and concentration at a fever pitch.”

Default Re: Carlisle, team gearing up for the weekend.

I like how he is making em do suicide sprints at the end of practice.

That is Rick's way of saying "we have not done anything yet...not until we bring the championship to indy"

NewYawk

People used to criticize Thomas for making his players do that.

One of many things.
    Can we get a new color commentator please?

I don't remember that at all

Can't you respond to a post without mentioning Isiah Thomas?

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought Thomas used to skip out of practices early quite often. Maybe he made his assistants make the team run suicide sprints.

I like the attitude this team has. They really seemed to have matured and understand that the real season is just beginning.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

NewYawk

Then you have a selective memory. Thomas ran hard practices, even after brutal West Coast trips. Other times, he'd lay off and focus his practices on weaknesses (pick and roll defense, passing, etc.) and getting guys healthy. Also, remember that Thomas would practice to develop his guys. He'd have Reggie and Al do one-on-one drills. He's guard Tinsley while holding up a broom pole (I forget what that drill's called).

Sidenote: I'm just making a point that much of what Carlisle has done this season Thomas did in previous seasons. Now, the players might be a little more responsive, or the practices may be run a little better, and therefore Carlisle is a better coach (no question) and the Pacers have a better record. But, the effort was the same. The Pacers are more mature now, more experiecned. The assertion that Thomas skipped practices is assinine and dumb. Makes about as much sense as Thomas "holding a grudge" against Bird for firing him.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Me either. But I'm sure we must be deluded by our blind hatred of IT, one of my favorite non-Pacer players ever.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

PacerStud

much of what Carlisle has done this season Thomas did in previous seasons.
    Except his rotations, his defense, his offense, his use of timeouts.

Yeah - the same, only different.

guard Tinsley while holding up a broom pole .
    So did my 4th grade gym teacher. Not exactly innovative coaching. ed:

Once again, your love for Isiah (or is it your hate for Bird ??) doesn't allow you to see the difference in the team this year or the way they are approaching games and executing during them. Take off the blinders and watch a pretty good team play better under a new coach and new system.

NY, the part I don't remember is fans complaining about Isiah having his team run wind sprints.

oh man...this thread is going to turn into an argument between NY and the rest of the forum...over IT....

AGAIN....

ed:

Anyway, I think it is good that we have this mental thought process. We will be prepared when we get into the playoffs, and we shoudl do some real damage.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

NewYawk

much of what Carlisle has done this season Thomas did in previous seasons.
    Except his rotations, his defense, his offense, his use of timeouts.

Yeah - the same, only different.
    His rotations and his emphasis on defense are similar to Isiah's. If you didn't have such blind hatred for Isiah, you'd realize this. However, since your head is up your @ss, I'll just assume you can't see anything and spell the obvious out for you:

There are very few differences between Carlisle's rotations and Isiah's. You'll notice he starts Foster (as Isiah did before B. Miller), Croshere sees limited minutes, Bender is in and out of the lineup, the PG rotation, all similar to Thomas's rotations, which were screamed over uselessly for years.

Carlisle uses TOs to stop runs, something Thomas (and some guy named Phil Jackson) believes is overplayed. Players stop runs, not TOs. VanGundy does it all the time, and it's annoying.

Offensively, the Pacers are more effecient, but that has a lot to do with overall maturity. Thomas made it known that, in his first 2 years, turnovers took a back seat. He wanted the team to pass more, press more, attack the basket, etc. Again, his teams were younger. Carlisle's is more veteran.

You wil get no argument from me that Carlisle is better, but he is using the same tectics and stategies Isiah used, the same tactics that people bemoaned senselessly. You can make the argument that Carlisle is better at making these tactics work, but the ideas behind them are similar.

So did my 4th grade gym teacher. Not exactly innovative coaching. ed:
    I won't call the job Carlisle is doing "inventive" either. Efficent. Acceptible. Disciplined. Those terms apply better. Who said anything about inventive? Simple, nobody.

Reading, it's fundamental.

[b]
    Once again, your love for Isiah (or is it your hate for Bird ??) doesn't allow you to see the difference in the team this year or the way they are approaching games and executing during them. Take off the blinders and watch a pretty good team play better under a new coach and new system.
    Again, reading... it's fundamental. Carlisle is a better coach than Isiah. I have stated that numerous times. However, the differecnes are more subtle, and the results are undeniable.

NewYawk

NY, the part I don't remember is fans complaining about Isiah having his team run wind sprints.
    He had the team do intense conditioning drills and defensive drills after a long, unproductive road trip a couple of years ago. People complained that he should have done something like this in training camp (which he did). The myth was Isiah was lax with his players, which was just that-- a myth. He worked them hard. Look at JO in 2001, and compare him to JO in 2003. Look at Al or Bender in 2001, and compare them to 2003. Isiah worked his team hard.

Bird's conditioning issue when coming up with reasons to fire IT was BS.

I find nothing subtle about the differences in coaching. I see major disparities.

I get the strong feeling that I'm not alone in this way of thinking.

As for the point about wind sprints, one of the adantages of the vast coaching upgrade is the superior conditioning of this years' team.

You may to a limited extent chalk up increased emotional composure (Artest & others), better decision-making (Tinsley & others), better "killer instinct" (JO and others) to simply maturing a little (though I think 90% of it is better coaching)

but it's hard not to notice the better conditioning that results in less 4th quarter flame-outs.

NewYawk

I find nothing subtle about the differences in coaching. I see major disparities.

I get the strong feeling that I'm not alone in this way of thinking.
    Why don't you put up another poll? You're last one was so successful in proving I am alone in thinking Thomas was a good coach.

NewYawk

oh man...this thread is going to turn into an argument between NY and the rest of the forum...over IT....

AGAIN....

ed:

Anyway, I think it is good that we have this mental thought process. We will be prepared when we get into the playoffs, and we shoudl do some real damage.
    It doesn't have to Suave. What's wrong with my intial statement? What?

I can't speak for everyone, but I always though IT was a very dedicated coach and a tireless worker. He did everything great except in-game coaching decisions. If the pacers could have any assistant coach to run things out of the game I would choose IT. Of course ego clashes with bird rick and it would make that impossible... But you get my point.

PacerStud

New Yawk, as usual, you're full of it.

There's no comparison between Carlisle and Thomas as head coaches. None. Period. Fact. End of story. Things that Thomas thought were 'overrated' are now winning us close ball games whereas in the past, we lost those quite often. And while Cro's minutes may well be limited, they are consistent. Something Thomas was never able to grasp.

As soon as you realize this, you might not get ragged on so much here for your blatant ignorance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't speak for everyone, but I always though IT was a very dedicated coach and a tireless worker. He did everything great except in-game coaching decisions. If the pacers could have any assistant coach to run things out of the game I would choose IT. Of course ego clashes with bird rick and it would make that impossible... But you get my point.
    I think that sums up Isiah's coaching career perfectly. Zeke was a great practice coach but during the game he often failed to make necessary adjustments. I chalk that up to his inexperience as a head coach.

I also blame his inexperienced coaching staff (other than Brendan Malone) for this. If Isiah had Mike Brown and Ron Rothstein last season, I think he would've had different results.

It's all water under the bridge now and a non-issue. Yet, somehow we let one person drag us back into the discussion over and over again. <Slaps self for even responding>

:
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

It doesn't have to Suave. What's wrong with my intial statement? What?
    Everything.

Nobody bashed Isiah for over-working his players in practice. NOBODY. In-game decisions, lack of demand for discipline (especially w. Artest), and wacky player rotations were the issues.

Only the improvement in physical conditioning this year has made it obvious that (in retrospect) that we should have criticised Isiah more for NOT demanding the level of conditioning that Carlisle now does.

Nobody seems to crack jokes about Jamaal & chicken wings anymore.

Quote:

So did my 4th grade gym teacher. Not exactly innovative coaching.

I won't call the job Carlisle is doing "inventive" either. Efficent. Acceptible. Disciplined. Those terms apply better. Who said anything about inventive? Simple, nobody.

Reading, it's fundamental.
    Not to make fun of anyone's reading level, but he did say innovative not inventive His comment makes more sense when you read it as "innovative"

I haven't been on here very long but after reading some of your posts you sure do take things a little personal when people disagree with you.
    "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post."

--Jack Nicholson as Colonel Nathan Jessup in A Few Good Men

Yawk, we've been down the IT road more than enough. We all know that you and the others agree maybe 5% of things regarding Isiah, and both thinks the other side is wrong. So please just let it die already. You hijacked a perfectly good thread to go on a tangent you've already beaten to death.