Thread: [OT] - Cable Modem buying question.

Default [OT] - Cable Modem buying question.

I'm on a cable modem right now, but it's one we're renting from our ISP. I want to buy a modem and not have to pay the rental on this one anymore.

My question is, should I have any concern over the new modem somehow not working?

I'm fairly confident that if I buy a diff. cable modem (I was looking at a linksys one; I'm renting a USRobotics right now), that it will just hook up and work like the old one did, but Murphy's Law is in full effect when it comes to me and electronics, so I'm here to ask if I should have any problems?

Also, am I correct in thinking there really won't be a diff. in performance? I mean, this modem's worked well, but the Linksys one should too, right?

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: [OT] - Cable Modem buying question.

You shouldn't have any problems with most any of the Newer ones working with your service , I have a US Robotics Sharkfin which I bought off Ebay and it works just dandy. I have heard the Motorola SURFboard Cable Modem SB5100 is a good one , they have it at Bestbuy for 79.95 I think and it has a 20.00 mail in rebate , make sure you get one that atlest supports DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 and you should be fine..

Oh also when you get your new modem you will have to call your service provider and give them the new serial number to you new modem or your service won't work , I had to do this when i bought my new modem.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I use cable modem via Comcast cable.

I switched from the four year-old box that I was renting from them (an earlier US Robotics I beleive) to LinkSys and have had no problems.

As mentioned, you do have to make the call to inform your supplier of your new cable modem make and serial number. A process that will only take a couple of minutes on the phone.

On a related note, I'm probably be going to be moving into my first home soon (yay!), and I'm not sure that my Yahoo! DSL will be within range of a switching station for me to use it where I'm moving. Also, cable is a superior product, I just couldn't turn down 25 bucks a month for the DSL. Those of you who have comcast cable modems, is it as crappy as I've heard, or is it actually ok?

On a related note, I'm probably be going to be moving into my first home soon (yay!), and I'm not sure that my Yahoo! DSL will be within range of a switching station for me to use it where I'm moving. Also, cable is a superior product, I just couldn't turn down 25 bucks a month for the DSL. Those of you who have comcast cable modems, is it as crappy as I've heard, or is it actually ok?
    I've had Comcast for several years with no problems. I don't know why they keep changing them but I'm on my third modem.

Hicks, you should know Comcast charges a higher fee if you own your own modem.

Mood

I've had Comcast for several years with no problems. I don't know why they keep changing them but I'm on my third modem.

Hicks, you should know Comcast charges a higher fee if you own your own modem.
    I don't think he has comcast , but maybe I am wrong I dunno

I'm with Insight. Don't know if they're under the comcast umbrella or not.

Mood

Nope they are not , Insight is there own cable company and internet provider...I have Insight also

Graywolf_59

Nope they are not , Insight is there own cable company and internet provider...I have Insight also
    I''ve been on Insight since they started here where I live...I bought a Shark fin from them when I singed up.....it's a 3 com cable modem....only trouble I've had is the 1st one burnt out?..but have had No problem's until then!No problem's with the new one----Which Insight replaced for free (5 Yr. warranty)!

Here's a possible alternative:

I have cable internet access, and the phone company recently made DSL available in my neighborhood -- at a better price/speed combo than my cable service -- so I called my cable provider's customer retention department and in order to keep me from leaving them for DSL they matched price and speed with DSL, WAIVED MY MODEM RENTAL FEE, and on top of that they allow no-penalty cancelation at any time (unlike the DSL provider's requirement of a year-long contract).

Sometimes it pays to shop around.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Mood

Found this on the Insight Page

http://www.insight-com.com/help/Help...ANSWmodems.asp

SUPPORTED CABLE MODEMS

Insight Broadband is DOCSIS certified, which means that any DOCSIS Cable Labs approved cable broadband modem should work with our high-speed Internet service. Cable modems are provided by third party vendors, and while all DOCSIS certified modems should work with our service, we cannot guarantee that all features will be supported and/or that future updates will not be required. The following modems have been tested and certified to work with the Insight Broadband service:

3COM: 2940, 3CR29220, 3CR29223
    Arris: CM300A
    COM21: CP3001, Doxport 1110, Doxport 1110 XB
    Motorola: SB2100, SB3100, SB4100, SB4200, SB5100
    RCA: DCM 105, DCM 205, DCM 225, DCM 235, DCM 305, DCM315, DCM315R
    Toshiba: PCX1100

On a side note I notice they do sell cable modems now for $49.95 or atleast they do here in Kokomo , might wanna check the insight page or call your local office and ask

PistonsDynasty

Does anyone know why they don't make internal cable modems anymore?? I hate have anything external with my PC.