Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

  1. #1
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    I'm not real popular 'round here tonight. I got home from work, took out my disposable contacts, threw them away and opened up my glasses case.

    Empty!!

    I've been turning over everything in the house trying to find them. I guess that makes me "crabby".

    So if you've seen them, let me know.

    (Perhaps my hero Chuck Person ate them - seems he's eaten about everything lately.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  2. #2
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    I hate when that happens! Toss the contacts and I'm suddenly blind till I find my glasses..... and realize I broke em!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  3. #3
    Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,606

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Every once in a while, I have to tighten the screws on my glasses our they just fall right out. I hate when that happens. Without my glasses, I pretty much cant see a damn thing!

    And no, I wont even bother with contact lenses!!
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #4
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,024

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball Kid
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every once in a while, I have to tighten the screws on my glasses our they just fall right out. I hate when that happens. Without my glasses, I pretty much cant see a damn thing!

    And no, I wont even bother with contact lenses!!
    I used to play Bball with glasses on, thank god, not anymore now.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  5. #5

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Ok so those people with contacts, help me out here. I haven't been to go home, so I can't see an optomotrist. I started wearing contacts in early January, and after a week, my eyes started turning red. So I don't know what the problem is. It didn't actually hurt at all though. Is it the contacts or the solution?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  6. #6
    Team Raskolnikov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ghent, Belgium
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,596

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Well, Suave, I don't know about your particular case, but telling my history with contacts might help plus it's a very interesting story on itself. I've been meaning to tell you guys about it for a long time.

    Here goes.

    I started wearing contacts when I was about 14 years old. The first 3 or 4 years I had no significant problems but when I hit college the misery began. I remember it very well, like it was only 2 or 3 years ago: it was in a chemistry class and my eyes were hurting so much (stupid power point presentations) I had to leave class and hurry home to get them *****es out of my eyes.

    For about a half year I couldn't wear any contacts anymore. I had to use my glasses and I truly hate wearing glasses. Now, since about a year ago, I'm back to wearing contacts, but only on occasional times: when I do sports, or just during the day, never longer than 10 hours though and mostly I have to take a day off every once in a while. My eyes just can't cope that well anymore with the lenses.

    Moral of this (true) story? Even though it is the case that, eventually, as you get older, you won't be able to wear contacts anymore, there are many ways of postponing that hell of glasses. I strongly recommand you don't wear them any longer than 10 hours a day or that you, whenever you feel your eyes get irritated with the contacts, take them out. Less TV/computer won't hurt either (and if you do watch TV/computer, lots of blinking has to be done). Generally I can also feel my eyes cope with the contacts much better if I'm outside in the fresh air.

    Of course your personal set of eyes will largely determine how you'll deal with contacts. Some people have the 'talent' to cope with them very well, others don't. For instance, I have very dry eyes, which is very, very bad if you want to use contacts (eye drops help in my case). However I do think the general advice above will prolongue your happy marriage with contact lenses.

    Hope this helped.

  7. #7
    Team Raskolnikov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ghent, Belgium
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,596

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to play Bball with glasses on, thank god, not anymore now.
    And how must he feel now when he reads things like this?

    Looks aren't everything, Mourning.

  8. #8
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    I had lasik a year and half ago.

    I love it. No more glasses or contacts. The surgery was completely painless and over in minutes.

    I have better than 20/20 vision now.

    I can remember looking many a days for my glasses. I feel for you Jay.

  9. #9
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if you've seen them, let me know.
    They're on top of your head.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  10. #10
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    I wish.

    They're not at the office either.



    BTW, Suave,

    I wear disposables because my eyes had problems with the cleaning chemicals. We tried heat-cleaning my daily wear contacts in pure saline (no chemicals) and that didn't work, either.

    So I went to the disposables - the ones I have I put in, wear for a month (sleep in them) and then pitch them. No handling, no chemicals, no problem.

    I usually just wear my glasses for a week before I put the next pair in.

    I can't tell if Lasik is in my future.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #11
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok so those people with contacts, help me out here. I haven't been to go home, so I can't see an optomotrist. I started wearing contacts in early January, and after a week, my eyes started turning red. So I don't know what the problem is. It didn't actually hurt at all though. Is it the contacts or the solution?
    Most likely neither. It's probably not washing your hands before you put them in.

    That's always what happens if I'm in a hurry and dont, and it burns like a *****.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  12. #12
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Centralia, Pennsylvania
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,402
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    So I went to the disposables - the ones I have I put in, wear for a month (sleep in them) and then pitch them. No handling, no chemicals, no problem.

    I usually just wear my glasses for a week before I put the next pair in.
    That's what I pretty much do, as a matter of fact I'm on my glasses week right now.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish.

    They're not at the office either.



    BTW, Suave,

    I wear disposables because my eyes had problems with the cleaning chemicals. We tried heat-cleaning my daily wear contacts in pure saline (no chemicals) and that didn't work, either.

    So I went to the disposables - the ones I have I put in, wear for a month (sleep in them) and then pitch them. No handling, no chemicals, no problem.

    I usually just wear my glasses for a week before I put the next pair in.

    I can't tell if Lasik is in my future.
    Lasik is definitely in my future.

    I used to use the normal soft contacts. Take 'em out every night, clean 'em once a month.

    But a couple years ago, my eyes started having a strange reaction. Finally figured out it was the contacts. Apparently, I've been wearing contacts for so long that my eyes finally started developing a "resistance" to the proteins that build up naturally on lenses.

    I tried going to monthlys and even weeklys, but after one day, my eyes can't take the same pair. So now I have to sparingly use the uber-expensive "Wear one day and throw away" kind.

    It's just not worth the expense over a couple years, when I could have paid about the same for Lasik.

  14. #14
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    You won't regret the Lasik.

    Its awesome.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You won't regret the Lasik.

    Its awesome.
    But they cut my eye. I can't get over that.

  16. #16
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    They give you valium ahead of time, you won't even care after they give you that.

    I was worried about the same thing.

    You also get two more to take that day so you can sleep. They want you to sleep for about 8 hours after the surgery.

    The whole operation was only about a minute and thrity seconds per eye.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They give you valium ahead of time, you won't even care after they give you that.

    I was worried about the same thing.

    You also get two more to take that day so you can sleep. They want you to sleep for about 8 hours after the surgery.

    The whole operation was only about a minute and thrity seconds per eye.
    Hmm.

    When I can afford it, I might do some research into it then.

    I've gotten pretty tired of contacts and glasses.

  18. #18
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    My sister was nearly "legally blind" most of her life. She couldn't see the LCD numbers on her nightstand alarm clock from her bed. She couldn't see leaves on trees, just one big green mass. She had coke-bottle glasses.

    She got the lazer thing done and walked home without the aid of glasses.

    The procedure cost a couple thousand dollars, and she estimates that she spent $1,000 a year on her eyes before that over the course of 20 years or so.

    The wierdest thing is that she still gets emotional from time to time when she sees something that she wouldn't have seen before, even with her glasses. She was over at our house a few weeks ago and saw her first hummingbird. When a second showed up, and it was clearly a brown female with a green male, she got so excited that she was in tears. In a small way, it's like a second childhood for her.

  19. #19
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    One suggestion when you do go to have the surgery.

    You can save decent amount of money by using the flex plan offered at most companies.

    They take the money out of your paycheck, pre-tax, which I think would save most people about 30%.

    I paid $1600 total, but with my flex I think I saved about $600 that I would have paid in taxes on my paycheck.(so the surgery probably only really cost me about $1000 estimated after tax.)

    And the additional benefit to that is you can start saving when you plan starts, lets say January, and have your surgery in February even though your money isn't all in the account yet. They just keep taking out the money throughout the year until it takes out the total that you had planned. Just make sure you plan to take out enough to pay for the surgery.

    The only other expenses I had was $20(copay) for the valuim, Probably $50 on preservative free eye drops(over the first 3 or 4 months), and a new pair of nonprescription sunglasses. I did pay like $125 for those, but I wanted to make sure I had good UV protection for my new investments.

    I only wore glasses but I figured the payback for me was about 4-5 years versus what I would have spent on glasses and prescription sunglasses.

    I can't imagine what I would have saved if I would have been using contacts.

  20. #20
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    My only drawback is that I recently had an eyedoctor put some drops in my eyes and I had a bad reaction (almost passed out). So i'm a bit scared about that.

    I have the same reaction to needles - my body just doesn't deal well with shocks like that. There's a medical name for it, but Jay's_Wife@Section204 just tells me that its a codeword for "wimp."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  21. #21
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    I used to hate putting eye drops in my eyes, but after having the surgery and having to put drops in my eyes every four hours while awake for a few weeks, you just get used to it. It actually feels good after a while. The cold drops feel good on the eye.

    As a matter of fact, I'm gonna go put some in my eyes right now, my eyes feel a little dry because of allergies today.

  22. #22
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Regular drops I'm okay with. This was a medicated drop to force my pupils to dilate as part of the examination.

    Needless to say, that was my only experience with that eye doctor.

    The "puff test" works just fine, IMO. I've never passed out from that.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  23. #23

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish.

    They're not at the office either.



    BTW, Suave,

    I wear disposables because my eyes had problems with the cleaning chemicals. We tried heat-cleaning my daily wear contacts in pure saline (no chemicals) and that didn't work, either.

    So I went to the disposables - the ones I have I put in, wear for a month (sleep in them) and then pitch them. No handling, no chemicals, no problem.

    I usually just wear my glasses for a week before I put the next pair in.

    I can't tell if Lasik is in my future.
    The ones I have are 2-4 weeks, where I take them off each day. So I'm not sure, I guess it just depends...which is why I probably won't know until I talk to an optomotrist
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most likely neither. It's probably not washing your hands before you put them in.

    That's always what happens if I'm in a hurry and dont, and it burns like a *****.
    I'm pretty sure I was careful about washing my hands everytime.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Where the #$%& are my glasses??

    Here's to all of us glasses slaves

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •