Thread: I have a question.

Default I have a question.

Do you think this team is better off with Bird handling personnel then with Walsh doing so alone?

Default Re: I have a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you think this team is better off with Bird handling personel then with Walsh doign so alone?

I think that the jury is still out. Has Bird really been given an honest opportunity to do anything yet? It seems like ever since he's been here it's been one travesty after another that really had nothing to do with his performance.

There has been a few changes, I don't know if these changes have been Bird's doings alone or DW's or both. I think it's safe to say Saras is Bird's decision but I don't know for sure if the others were.

I think that we'll need to wait til after this coming post season to see where he's at to give a fair assessment.

If you mean how it will be when Bird's on his own, it's impossible to know until we get there.

If you mean have we been better off since Bird got here, it's still very hard to tell. Some moves have said Walsh is in charge still, some suggest Bird now has control, but truthfully they're probably just working together, hence the mix of moves.

I like who we've drafted since Larry's been here. I hate the Brad Miller trade. I used to really like the Al Harrington trade, now I'm ready for the Stephen Jackson trade. I like having Sarunas Jasikevicius, though that's a mess right now. Peja for Artest was a very good trade. Rick Carlisle was a great hire.

So overall I've been more happy than not, but not 100% happy. My best positive thought of Bird being 100% in charge in the near future is that I'm hoping he's less patient than Walsh (In a good way) when it comes to building a true championship contender, and just just a contender that has a small chance of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    So overall I've been more happy than not, but not 100% happy. My best positive thought of Bird being 100% in charge in the near future is that I'm hoping he's less patient than Walsh (In a good way) when it comes to building a true championship contender, and just just a contender that has a small chance of winning.
    I've never been a big fan of Bird, but one thing Hicks has touched on is true. The man will give his best effort in trying to bring Indiana a championship. Not to say that hasn't been Donnie's goal, but he's already stated his number one priority and the key word heard was "Competitive" rather than "Champion".
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Yeah, I guess I was pretty unclear (and not just because of my poor spelling). I should have taken more time starting the thread.

I suppose it's a couple of different, though related, questions. All these depend heavily on how much influence you think Bird/Walsh has had at any point. That's understood, but that's always going to be the case of our perspective as fans. We all know that none of us really know. I'm looking for opinion not fact.

1) Do you think Walsh would have done a better job from 03-present without Bird?

2)Do you think Bird would have done a better job during the same period if he would have not had Walsh?

3)Do you think Bird taking over personnel responsibilities will be better for the team? If you think it will be better for the team how do the majority of you that believe Walsh to be one of the better GMs over the years reconcile those two oppinions. (i.e. Do you think Bird is just better than an already very good GM in Walsh?)

woman without a team

Do you think this team is better off with Bird handling personnel then with Walsh doing so alone?
    NO!

1) Do you think Walsh would have done a better job from 03-present without Bird?
    Better, probably. Worse, no.

2)Do you think Bird would have done a better job during the same period if he would have not had Walsh?
    Since Larry's never here I don't see how that's possible. On the other hand if Donnie wasn't around maybe Larry would be.

3)Do you think Bird taking over personnel responsibilities will be better for the team? If you think it will be better for the team how do the majority of you that believe Walsh to be one of the better GMs over the years reconcile those two opinions. (i.e. Do you think Bird is just better than an already very good GM in Walsh?)
    I think it would be better if only one of them was in charge. I think that person should be Donnie. So far Larry has shown me nothing that makes me think he'll be the next Jerry West or a decent shadow of him. To me he's more along the lines of Michael Jordan, and that's not good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's been mentioned in the press in the last few days that it was Bird that really pushed to take our time with the Artest trade. The implication was that decent offers were not being made and that Walsh was ready to pull the trigger for the best we could get. Bird wanted to be more patient, believing that a better opportunity would come along.

Now we have Peja.

Like Hicks said, we won't know whether Bird alone will be better than Walsh alone.

But I definitely believe that the two men, consulting each other every step of the way, are better than Walsh alone.

They're certainly not done yet. I think we will see better speed and better defense at PG going into next season. I think we will have better offensive consistency at SG. And we may have better depth in the front court.

I trust Bird AND Walsh to get that accomplished.

It's time to raise the bar. Hopefully, Bird alone will be able to do that. I'm not sure I like the two-headed monster approach we have right now.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Why don't you just ask if you would rather drown or burn to death.

How about this, we trade you both for Joe.

I think the Simon's were the ones who really wanted to keep Artest. They really liked him.

It is really too early to tell what Bird's vision is. I do think Saras has not worked out well, the word was Bird really wanted Croshere and Bird wanted Wally the year they took Bedner. If those three things are any indication, I don't like his approach, at all. Yes I realize I'm picking and choosing.

We'll see. I had a lot of confidence in DW

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Why don't you just ask if you would rather drown or burn to death.

How about this, we trade you both for Joe.
    As far as I'm concerned, feel free to use Joe as a consultant on draft day.

As far as I'm concerned, feel free to use Joe as a consultant on draft day.
    So we can draft someone like Darko?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Or Mateen Cleeves or Rodney White or ...

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Bird wanted Wally the year they took Bender
    Was that just idle "Bird probably wanted Wally cause he was the next Larry Bird of the month" talk or was there something to that?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

In Larry's book that came out after the '99 season he said we wanted Odom.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    In Larry's book that came out after the '99 season he said we wanted Odom.
    I think everybody did. Nobody expected the Clips to take him.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!