Thread: Minnesota-Pacer Trade

Default Minnesota-Pacer Trade

Would you trade Harrison,Granger, AJ, two expiring contracts in Croshere and
    Bender and two first round picks for Garnett?

Would Minnesota?

If Minnesota wants to rebuild and save money it is good. Is that not
    enough?

If not would you trade JO and Granger for Garnett?

A lot depends on what Minnesota wants. I believe the Pacers have the
    parts to make an excellent offer either way.

No comments about putting down the pipe please :-)
    I am serious :-)

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo

Default Re: Minnesota-Pacer Trade

You cant actually think Minny would do that deal? I know Kevin is a bad GM but man.

I don't particularly like the idea of trading Granger. However, if Bird is indeed as hot on resigning Peja as the SAC BEE column claims, I would entertain it b/c, unless the hypothesized DG at 2 could work, retaining Stojakovic could be a major obstacle to developing him to the extend I'd like.

My question about Owl's first proposal is how would you see the result of that playing out personnel-wise and postion-wise? Would JO be shopped, too, or would he combine with KG? JO would then play C I take it?

I haven't any specific proposals, but as long a we're talking about the Wolves, anybody else on that roster worth a look? What about McCants or Marcus Banks? I think Banks is in last year of his deal though.

I don't trade Granger for two reasons.

1. We have a 20-10 guy in Jermaine + his ability to block shots

2. Granger is a starting spot away from being a 15-10 to possibly a 20-10 guy... if not more + he can play some serious D, make some clutch shots, and block some shots.

I wouldn't dare trade someone like Granger when he hasn't even shown what he can do as a full-time starter yet.

If you think the Brad Miller trade haunts some of us, what do you think this one would do? I'd kick myself every day if I had to watch Granger make the All-Star team year after year as a Timberwolf.

Granger can play the 3, Peja can play the 2. It can work. Look at ability, not height. Granger can simply just guard the 2 on defense if necessary. Peja already plays like a 2 offensively anyway. Plus, he'd always have the height advantage over the opposing 2, he'd give us more rebounding at the 2, and he's not that bad defensively too. I'd let Jackson back up Granger and Peja (as the 6th man, getting 30+ minutes). Then I'd either let Jones walk, or package him in a deal with Sarunas to a team that needs a pg in exchange for a C and maybe an emergency swingman (if we can't get one in the draft) to help if SJax were to go down.

So we have one person who thinks the trade is lopsided for us and one
    who would never do it because the Pacers give up too much.
    So the trade is not far-fetched, either one I believe.
    I love DG but if it brought Garnett I would look real hard at it. I am not
    sure in the end I could pull the trigger. I would however pull a Harrison and
    the Pacers number one for a shot at Shelden Williams today.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

D-Bone said..."My question about Owl's first proposal is how would you see the result of that playing out personnel-wise and postion-wise? Would JO be shopped, too, or would he combine with KG? JO would then play C I take it?

Yes I would put JO at center and he would be backed up by Foster.
    This years pick would back up Garnett.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I guess I must have overlooked the first part of your question. If Granger was used as a way to pair Garnett with JO, I think we'd be idiots not to do that deal. Though, I think in the long run a pairing of JO and KG wouldn't work... then again Robinson/Duncan worked didn't it?....

Even with the prospect of KG and JO both, personally I still couldn't pull the trigger on Granger. Just think he is going to be really special. But I think it will be necessary to make changes so I wouldn't rule out DG going all together but, again, only as an absolute last resort and also dependent on the situation.

For example, let's say we don't resign Peja. Then I'd keep DG, move JO and somebody else for KG. Maybe try to sneak somebody else out from Minny (Hassell, McCants, Banks if any those could be fanagled) if even possible. Then it's DG, KG, and C is held down by Harrison (if he doesn't self destruct before this year ends) and Foster. Foster and DG can also both play time at the 4 if needed.

The obvious lack we'd have would be a solid long-distance shooter, unless of course there's a Saras sighting next year. There's also the draft and maybe we have some cash to work with for other acquisitions if Peja and Fred are allowed to walk.

Steve Novak---the stats I have seen are ridiculous and is showed in the
    game I saw him play.

Terrel Everett would be the large guard the Pacers need.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Steve Novak---the stats I have seen are ridiculous and is showed in the
    game I saw him play.

Terrel Everett would be the large guard the Pacers need.

owl
    Haven't seen much of Novak but know of his sharpshooter rep. He's also like 6-9ish, right? A poor man's Peja? Wishful thinking. Maybe a poor man's Cro then? I do like what I've seen of the OK PG. I think PG will be a relatively deep postion in this draft, although I don't know how many will go prior to our pick. Everett would probably be around.

Novak has shot lights out for 4 years and has shot almost 95% ft's for his
    4 years. He shoots the 3 as well as the 2. About 45%. His problem is getting a shot off when well defended. As an additional outside threat with Peja,
    Oneal and Granger he would get his share of shots. The Pacers desparately
    need another outside threat and Jax just is not that player. Jax does have his
    positives. What are they you say. He is a good defender and a post up player
    on the blocks.

Terrell Everett was the only reason Oklahoma was even in the game with
    Alabama. He is big and has a tremendous ability to break down a defense and
    dish. Plus he is left handed. His shooting could be improved but I believe
    those 2 are just what we need. One other thing I would look at is if DH
    could be leveraged into getting Shelden Williams. I like DH but I see some
    things that preclude him from being someone to take the Pacers to a
    championship. Hard to say on DH.

Novak is a far superior shooter to anything Croshere ever did. Croshere is
    more aggressive but Novak is a shooter. That is a lost art and if you can
    get one of those if far no other reason than to play a utility role I feel
    you should get him. I believe that there is a 3 point shooting contest at the final 4 and Novak has been invited along with a dunk contest.

owl

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

JO and Garnett on this team would be disruptive. Neither have the frame to play Center for an entire season, and the contract situation would be such that we'd have to surround them with total garbage. Every time someone's contract was up, they'd be out the door.

I'm all for getting Garnett, but any trade would have to include JO, both for us and for them. After that, you have to sweeten the deal, and I'm guessing one of our PGs would get it done.

That still leaves the problem of the Peja/Granger logjam.

After watching the slam dunk contest another player that would really help the Pacers from the second round in James White from Cinncinnati.
    He is athletic and can handle the ball and can dunk like no otha.
    The Pacers could take 3 second rounders and do just as well as a first.
    White is a shooting guard.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-