Thread: Playoff Scenario: Could we miss it?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Playoff Scenario: Could we miss it?

Question for you stats and math guys:

What kind of record to we generally need to get in the playoffs?

For everybody else: any chance we might not succeed?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Playoff Scenario: Could we miss it?

There's always a chance we won't get in, but it's hard to imagine. .500 should get the job done, and we're still 2 games above.

I think this homestand will say alot about our chances. If we take care of business over the next 2 weeks, we will be fine. If we take a dive, missing the playoffs could become a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question for you stats and math guys:

What kind of record to we generally need to get in the playoffs?

For everybody else: any chance we might not succeed?
    .500 will almost always get you in.
    For the last several years, .500 might not get you into the West playoffs, i.e. the 9th team might be .500. Right now NOK is 9th @ .500.
    But the first team under .500 would probably get you into the East, i.e. the 7th team would be .500. Right now the 8th spot is MKE @ .484.

Yeah, we might not make it, but that would mean a team like the Bulls would have to get past us. Right now the Bulls are 4.5 games back of us with about 20 to play. That's a pretty decent lead. We'd have to go about 8-14 the rest of the way and the Bulls about 11-8. If that happens, it's probable that Philly, MKE, and Wash will pass us too.

Sports Logo

Considering that we are only 2 games ahead of the 8th seeded team.......and 4 1/2 games out of the 9th seed...I think its possible that we drop all the way down to the last place....but unlikely that we drop out of the playoff race.

The only way both happens is if we completely collapse for the next month and a 1/2.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Gamble

Tough to say but there are always injuries waiting to happen
    on other teams as they make a mad dash to the end of the season.
    It's just a good thing we can hang around 500 whether we have
    our starting line up or not.

Sports Logo

Rick will wake up sooner or later and stop running that stupid play at the end of close games. Tinsley we be the starter again and more importantly he will be in at the end of the games. We will make the playoffs

At least these are the things I tell myself.

If we are playing .500 ball heading into the playoffs I think I'd just as soon not bother. That would mean we're going in with no momentum and will just be someone else's doormat. We'll only be creating another mental hurdle for ourselves if we back in and lose.

I suppose there is the argument about getting Harrison some playoff experience, as well as Granger... and then there is the argument about making sure there is some more gate and merch revenue for billionaire's Herb and Mel Simon...

But I'm just not sure I want to be a playoff doormat for anyone.

And of course there is the argument that we wouldn't be at .500 with JO and so his (assumed) return will make us a different team heading into the playoffs.

I think just making the playoffs will give too much satisfaction to the front office and also pacify the masses just enough, if not too much. Missing out on the playoffs will have the Pacer Nation demanding better and will have TPTB (at least some of them) out of their comfort zone. There is a better chance of making next season something better if this season ends up an 'ultimate' disappointment (in the eyes of TPTB and even the Sunshine Brigade). If we can go in with momentum for the playoffs and next season then that is different. But backing in, playing down to the competition, mediocrity, etc doesn't need to be 'rewarded' with a playoff berth and shouldn't give the TPTB any satisfaction.... but it would.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . There is a better chance of making next season something better if this season ends up an 'ultimate' disappointment (in the eyes of TPTB and even the Sunshine Brigade).
    As a PROUD member of the Sunshine Brigade I have to say this season for me personally is already VERY CLOSE to beying an "ultimate" disappointment, but I get your point about some people beying "happy" about just making the play-offs. The experience for our youngsters and Sarunas is the only thing really valuable for the team in my opinion. Offcourse, I also don't mind at all the Simons beying the very good owners that they have always been to this franchise, making atleast a little more money or losing less, I don't know that side of our franchise really.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws