Page 87 of 185 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 4618

Thread: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Starting season 2 of Damages after seeing that it's going to be picked up for at least two more seasons...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Starting season 2 of Damages after seeing that it's going to be picked up for at least two more seasons...
    Stick it out through the entire season. I'll let you know right now though that this is the weakest of the three seasons, still better than most things on tv but not as good as season 1 or 3.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Season Premiere of Sons of Anarchy...

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by Natston; 09-09-2010 at 01:29 AM.

That mirrors my thoughts on that, Natston.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Ok, I've finished all three seasons of Veronica Mars.

I'll just say this, actually I've said it before but it is worth repeating (at least to me anyway) this is the absolute best female protagonist I have ever seen in a TV series. It probably is as far as movies and literature as well but I will just stick to TV for a moment.

Also the writing for this show may have been the best written show I have ever seen as well, minus deep space nine which will never be touched in my opinion but this comes as close as any show ever has.

The dialogue between the characters is witty, snappy but most importantly real. I mean if you take the entire premise of the show itself it lends itself to being a complete & utter creampuff of a show but this is anything but that.

I went to the barber about two weeks ago & we were talking about TV and I was telling him about watching this and he asked me what it was & in trying to describe it I found myself kind of laughing at the premise of the show. When I said "oh itís about this teenage girl who is high school student by day and helps her dad as a private eye at night" he just looked at me like I was an idiot for watching and I'm sure all he thought was Nancy Drew.

That just tells you how damn good the writers of this show were. That they could take the concept as lame as it sounds and turn this into one of the smartest TV shows I've ever seen.

Hell they were so good that I began to care about the characters and found myself rooting for Logan and was disgusted by the entire Piz thing towards the end.

Yes there was some cheesy dialogue between Veronica and her Dad but somehow they even made that work.

I was warned before watching the show that the first two were excellent and the third was bad.

I couldn't disagree more. The first two were outstanding and the first 2/3 of season 3 were just as good IMO, now down to the last 5 episodes it kind of started to scramble because as networks always do they tend to try and fix serial shows by giving shorter one show storylines.

Even the last 5 while not as strong as the rest was still very good TV.

I know they are in talks to do the movie but I honestly just don't see how they can do any justice to the character or the show with a 1 hour 45 min. movie.

Overall I am thrilled to death I watched this and kick myself for not watching it at the time.

If you've never seen the show, don't try and jump in anywhere but at the beginning because there is a rhythm to the show and you need the story line to make it work.

On a side note which I find funny I was reading a comment by Kristen Bell the other day about a new movie she is promoting she said that the character is as witty as Veronica but not as snarky however the amazing thing is she looks identical to Veronica Mars. I don't know why but I thought that was funny.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

What new fall shows are you looking forward to?

The Event looks interesting and the type of show I like.

A couple of others I will probably check out

Not much.

I was probably looking most forward to Nikita, but I found the pilot underwhelming (though the twist at the end was promising.)

Lone Star has been getting the best press, but I don't know if it's my kind of show.

Undercovers and No Ordinary Family seem like shows I would like, but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed.

Here's Alan Sepinwall's brief look at all the new shows.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...d-and-the-shat
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I've heard Undercovers is disappointing for a JJ Abrams pilot. But if he sticks around and improves the show it should be good

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I've heard Undercovers is disappointing for a JJ Abrams pilot. But if he sticks around and improves the show it should be good
    Well judging againt other Abrams pilots isn't very fair. Even Felicity had an exceptional pilot. If it's Alias without the mythology, I'm sure I'll like it fine. If it's Hart to Hart with guns, I probably won't. I fear the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Well judging againt other Abrams pilots isn't very fair. Even Felicity had an exceptional pilot. If it's Alias without the mythology, I'm sure I'll like it fine. If it's Hart to Hart with guns, I probably won't. I fear the latter.
    So your saying the next show I should try and watch would be Alias?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    So your saying the next show I should try and watch would be Alias?
    Yeah, but if you say season 4 and 5 are great television too I might disown you.

Seriously, the Alias pilot is the best hour of television I've ever seen. People talk about how great the Lost pilot was, but I don't think it's close (I'd actually rate the Fringe pilot over it as well.) The first year and a half are great, right up until the Super Bowl episode, which was a massive game changer.

After that the show was still pretty good, just different, but halfway through season 3 they had a horrible Jump the Shark moment. The rest of the season was like watching a train wreck in slow motion, as the show falls apart before your eyes. Season 4 was dreadful. Season 5 they changed up the cast significantly, and some of it was okay, but the magic was gone.

I don't know how well the show has aged, considering that it's been ripped off so much in the past decade. Kind of like The Matrix where you couldn't convey to someone today how amazing it was when it came out. Hell, David Anders has made a career of playing Mr. Sark on every genre show since then (most recently as Elena's real dad on Vampire Diaries.) Hard to believe now he was ever scary and cool. Also hard to believe that a character like Marshall was once original, too. Or that the identity of "The Man" was such an amazing revelation. Pisses me off when I think about how much of the show has been not only ripped off, but ripped off so poorly over the years.

Anyway, yes, must watch. Season 4 is painful, but you have Rachel Nichols in tight outfits to look forward to in season 5.

[edit] Oh, and if Lost pissed you off, pay zero attention to the mythology. They have no clue where to go with it, at no point after the first season does it make any sense, and regularly contradicts itself. Believe me, as cool as it might seem, "Rimbaldi" is a bad word nowadays.
    Last edited by Kegboy; 09-16-2010 at 06:17 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

I am so with you, KB. Alias was the very definition of must see TV for me, till they realized, like Lost, Heroes and X-Files, they had to come up with the goods at some point. These shows wrap you up in mythology, then suddenly realize they can't come up with a suitable end game, so you feel cheated.

Thanks to Alias, X-Files and Lost, I actively avoid any kind of suspense series like that. (Sorry, the Event, I'm not even giving you so much as a glance)As much as I enjoy the ride, the result train wreck endings crush me so badly, it's just not worth it for me. As of right now, I've gone against my vow and pinned my hopes on Fringe not disappointing me.

I don't know what to tell you, Peck, when Alias is good, it is exceptionally good, but...

As to the new shows, UB, I am a freak. Every season I watch at least two episodes of EVERY new show. You would not believe how much TV I watch. (I was a viewer for the Nielsen ratings for about 6 months years ago. I was ecstatic!)

As to the new shows I'm looking forward to seeing Detroit 187. I avoid cop shows, but I love Hill Street Blues/Homicide/NYPD Blue type charachter stuff. (NCIS, CSI and Law and Order can suck it!)

Hawaii 5-0 looks like it might be fun and I LOVE Grace Park.

I am DYING to watch Boardwalk on HBO. It'll be nice to se Steve Buscemi back to being a bad guy/weirdo and not a comic relief creep, as his career seems to be heading.

Nikita shows promise, so I'll stick with it.

I'm curious about Undercovers, but I worry about how it will fare. Demographics and history say that two black leads=lower ratings. I hope not.

I'm looking to Hellcats as my guilty pleasure for the season.
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 09-17-2010 at 08:31 AM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    I ...

As to the new shows, UB, I am a freak. Every season I watch at least two episodes of EVERY new show. You would not believe how much TV I watch. (I was a viewer for the Nielsen ratings for about 6 months years ago. I was ecstatic!)

As to the new shows I'm looking forward to seeing Detroit 187. I avoid cop shows, but I love Hill Street Blues/Homicide/NYPD Blue type charachter stuff. (NCIS, CSI and Law and Order can suck it!)

Hawaii 5-0 looks like it might be fun and I LOVE Grace Park.

I am DYING to watch Boardwalk on HBO. It'll be nice to se Steve Buscemi back to being a bad guy/weirdo and not a comic relief creep, as his career seems to be heading.

I'm curious about Undercovers, but I worry about how it will fare. Demographics and history say that two black leads=lower ratings. I hope not.

I'm looking to Hellcats as my guilty pleasure for the season.
    I loved Hill Street Blues. IMO that show changed television more than any show in my lifetime. yes you can make an intelligent show and people will actually watch. (did you ever watch Bay City Blues about a minor league baseball team, only aired a few episodes, I really liked it. Steven Bochco ran the show, David Milch was opne of the writers, he of HSB and several other really good shows. Dennis Franz stared http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_City_Blues

Yeah Detroit 187 I will check that one out for sure.

I tend to watch a lot of new shows, but after about 4 or 5 episodes (usually about the time the NBA season starts) I stop watching most of the new shows. I'm very picky.

Yeah NCIS is a show I cannot stand - I hate it so much. Law and order was OK when it first started 22 years ago, but enough already. never have enjoyed CSI. Only procedural I ever really watched was Without Trace sort of liked that for about 1 season. But shows like that there is no reason to watch every episode, so after awhile I decide not to watch any episode.

Boardwalk yeah for sure, but I don't have HBO - so will catch that on DVD next summer
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 09-17-2010 at 08:58 AM.

So there WAS someone else who watched Bay City Blues! I liked it. And believe it or not, I actually liked Cop Rock. equal parts really good and really bad. Unreal, huh?
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I only watched one episode of Cop Rock and I didn't like it - although it was different and for that I didn't want it to get canned so quickly.

Skaut did you ever watch the NBC show Boomtown . I really liked that show, very well done, have it on DVD and still watch it from time to time. hated that NBC only agreed to renew it for a short second season if they agreed to change the format. The 6 episodes in season #2 were unwatchable and nothing like the first season. Almost seemed like the makers of the show decided to stick to NBC by showing just how bad they could make the show. But the first season was A+

Mood

Hey Skaut, did you ever get into SouthLAnd?

When WGN ran the entire Hill Street Blues series as reruns a few years back they had a great promo that had the theme music playing in the background with differant shots of the characters and not a word was ever said but at the end they had typed on the screen "you'll never be over the hill".

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    Hey Skaut, did you ever get into SouthLAnd?
    You didn't ask me, but I'll give you my opinion. It was OK, just too overwrought for me. There were some scenes and parts of certain episodes that were really good and memorable, but as a whole the show didn't work for me.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I freaking loved Southland. I'll take gritty and dark over melodramatic any day. I found the characters interesting and felt like I know some cops like them, and the plot always kept moving, BUT, I never felt like I was watching something new, just a new way of showing it. I really enjoyed the first season, but the second season lost me. They changed stuff and it didn't feel even as remotely good to me.

Peck, I STILL worship Blues. Sounds like a great ad. Hadn't seen that one. Little tidbit for you. I was acquaintances with Mike Warren (He's from South Bend) and we hung out a couple of times. He wore a hairpiece throughout Hill Street. He started balding early and it was his most fiercely guarded secret. Not that it slowed him down with the ladies. I have rarely seen women throw themselves at someone like they did him. One nite, he had a flock of women around him, leaned over to me, told me he couldn't possibly deal with all of them and asked me which one I wanted. I declined and said I'd get my own women, then all of a sudden I started getting swarmed. I couldn't figure it out till he told me that he was telling women that I was his brother. Are women unreal or what? I was invisible till they thought I was someone. I can still watch Blues and be riveted to this day. It's funny for me all the old school stuff they used to do from typing up reports on typewriters to the street justice way things were handled from time to time. Makes me a bit nostalgic for when I first came on the department. Homicide: life on the streets and Hill Street were the most realistic and enjoyable cop shows I have ever watched.

I loved NYPD, but I REALLY liked the first season or two, when it was shot really dark and had a grittier feel to it. I couldn't wait to watch it every week, but the first season was my fav.

Boomtown was another great one. I'm actually convinced the average viewer is too stupid to appreciate truly good tv. I know that sounds elitist, but it seems true. When Boomtown threw all those twists at you by showing the different veiwpoints, it was great, but I think the show was too clever for it's own good. You couldn't keep up that kinda pace and cleverness for an extended period. It was too smart for it's own good. I loved Mykelti Williamson's Fearless character. Man, you guys are really making me miss what could have been if the networks would have just showed some patience with those shows.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

WHAT? They're redoing La Femme Nikita? Holy crap. I loved that show in the late 90s-early 2000s on USA channel. I own all 5 seasons of it on DVD. How did I NOT KNOW THIS??? No one can replace Peta Wilson as Nikita though.

UPDATE: After reading about the new series, it seems as if the CW took a stellar series and made it really bad. I really can't see those actors pulling off those roles of Nikita, Micheal, etc. I'll have to view it for myself though.
    Last edited by Stryder; 09-17-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Mood

I freaking loved Southland. I'll take gritty and dark over melodramatic any day. I found the characters interesting and felt like I know some cops like them, and the plot always kept moving, BUT, I never felt like I was watching something new, just a new way of showing it. I really enjoyed the first season, but the second season lost me.They changed stuff and it didn't feel even as remotely good to me.
    Yeah same here.

Boomtown was another great one. I'm actually convinced the average viewer is too stupid to appreciate truly good tv. I know that sounds elitist, but it seems true. When Boomtown threw all those twists at you by showing the different veiwpoints, it was great, but I think the show was too clever for it's own good. You couldn't keep up that kinda pace and cleverness for an extended period. It was too smart for it's own good. I loved Mykelti Williamson's Fearless character. Man, you guys are really making me miss what could have been if the networks would have just showed some patience with those shows.
    I understand why you would say that, and I don't entirely disagree with you. But I think most people watch TV after a long day at work after an evening dealing with their kids and either they watch TV while they are doing household chores and after they are exhausted. So they only partially pay attention and with shows like The Wire , Boomtown and Lost you cannot partially pay attention and enjoy those shows. That is why they watch reality TV or procedurals. You can do laundry, wash the dishes and still enjoy those shows as you surf the internet

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just watched the season premieres of both It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and The League yesterday. Never seen either show before but I really liked the premieres
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I understand why you would say that, and I don't entirely disagree with you. But I think most people watch TV after a long day at work after an evening dealing with their kids and either they watch TV while they are doing household chores and after they are exhausted. So they only partially pay attention and with shows like The Wire , Boomtown and Lost you cannot partially pay attention and enjoy those shows. That is why they watch reality TV or procedurals. You can do laundry, wash the dishes and still enjoy those shows as you surf the internet
    Yeah, I hear ya and agree. It just kinda depresses me that people can't make time to spend an hour or two to challenge themselves a bit once a week, especially how easy it's become to record shows.

Mood

Terriers

I was automatically interested when I saw Shawn Ryan's name attached to it, if you have seen The Shield, you know why, and if you haven't seen The Shield, you need to see it immediately). Anyway I wasn't quite sure what to expect because it was described a dramedy about private investigators.

If the story arc set forth in the pilot continues with the procedural and humor aspects, then I might have yet another FX show that I won't go without watching...

Damages

Kinda bummed that season 3 still isn't on dvd yet, so I might have to put off on finishing season 2.

Sons of Anarchy

Unfortunately it seems like it's headed towards the bad path that shows take when they become immensely popular and have to churn out a story or new stories that lasts several seasons instead of finishing what was started.