Page 79 of 190 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 4727

Thread: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Default Re: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

I watched Survivor and The Office last night.

I know what everyone thinks of survivor but since I started watching it 10 years ago I havent missed an episode and it is just one of those shows that I cant avoid. Also it is usually used as an excuse to get friends over and hang out.

The Office was alright, I have been finding it less and less funny though which is starting to disappoint me. Still enjoyable but just lacking something at this point. I guess after 6 years it is hard to be as good.

Still working my way through all of the season, series finale stuff going on right now.

But so far a few shows have gone above and beyond and a couple have not been so swell. Here is an abridged review, I hopefully will revisit this soon to do a longer version and hit on all of the shows.

I'm going to start off with my favorite night of the week on TV (Thursday).

1. Vampire Diaries: Yes, laugh at me all you want but this show is damn good and their season finale was outstanding. Probably the second best season finale so far of the season. This leads perfectly up to next season and leaves us anticipating what is going to happen. Yes, they need to drop the entire high school thing as that really does nothing to help progress the story and I think they will drop it soon enough. But for a straight up vampire story it is actually pretty decent.

2. Supernatural: This one is going to be hard to give you a short answer on. I guess if I have to give it a final quick grade it would be a C+ B- kind of thing. Not a failure by any means but not really satisfying either. I wish they would have dealt more with Lucifer this season, I found him to be interesting and I really liked the way that they played off the whole "he's a fallen Angel" type thing. Sympathy for the Devil if you will. I also didn't like the fact that they just kind of skimmed over Micheal, but again this who story line is huge, ambitious and unfortunately probably predestined to be dissapointing. Having said that I loved how they had Lucifer being so much more than Casteal in power, that was both cool and believable. However I don't know how I feel about the whole the Prophete was actually God thing and I'm not real sure how I feel about God hitting the reset button on everybody's lives. We'll see...

3. The Pacific: This show was a contrast in opposites. When it was bad it was down right boring and somewhat dreadful, however when it was good it was great. I think they should have focused on one Marine Division and stuck with it. I think changing between the 1st & 2nd was confusing and I never really got to where I cared about any one character. In fact I think I got to the point where I didn't care about the 1st Marine Division at all and the person who I think we were all supposed to care the most about (Robert Leckie) I ended up not caring at all about. However I did find Sledge Hammer and Snafu to be interesting and wish they would have spent the time following them. However the very ending was masterfully done and the fact that we see the old men talking were the actual Men involved and then the contrast of the photo's of the actors vs. the real men was nothing less than superb.

4. Smallville: I've saved the best for last. This season finale get's an A+ from me. This neatly and smoothly wrapped up an entire season and set the stage for next year.

Upcoming will be reviews for Fringe (looks to be outstanding so far), Legand of the Seeker (this one may top Smallville if the second part is nearly as good as the first part was), 24 & Lost.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Fringe has me so geeked up I can't stand it. I'm so glad I stuck with it. I gotta say I was really nervous when they showed the former test subjects were banded together and I immediately had thoughts of Heroes and hoped they wouldn't screw the pooch and go over the top. Not at all. I'm just a sucker for grand story arcs and not the "monster of the week" fill-ins. I thought the West Wing reference was pretty funny, given the apparently fascistic bent of the other world, yet a show labeled "liberal" in our world is popular there. Then again, maybe it's got a very different bent there. I almost want to go back and watch the episode again for easter eggs and such. And you just KNOW the alien comment is a subtle set-up for next season. Man I love this show!!
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed "The Pacific" although I do have some of the same questions Peck had with some plot decisions.

For the most part I thought the episodes could've been 90 mins instead of 60 mins. Some things could've used some more explanation or simply had more time spent on the story.

I didn't think the Lecke character was all that interesting or compelling either. I can't really put my finger on why although more than anything I think the script failed him a little. OTOH, just as Peck said Sledge and Snafu were both compelling characters.

When taken as a whole all the episodes interlocked but this isn't a mini-series where I think you could just start watching in the middle of a random episode and get hooked.

There were some excellent stories told but to fully appreciate them you needed the backstory that was provided along the way.

That said, if there was one episode that missed the mark I'd say it was the episode with them all in Australia (or was it New Zealand?). That just seemed to linger past the point of making its point.

Another nit to pick was the handling of the bombings that brought the war to an end. I wished they would've opened up the story focus to include some of that and the decisions being made back at home about it. You could've had these marines wondering what was next for them and how bad the invasion of the Japanese mainland could be... against a backdrop of TPTB debating/planning the bombings and their hope it would bring the war to an end.

But in any case, I liked how the final episode tied things up and filled you in on the lives of these men (and women) after the war.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

latest episode of V
    man does that show have crappy CGI?!
    I don't know why but I still watch it, even with all the plot holes and the stale acting...i guess its the concept that has my attention...

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    latest episode of V
    man does that show have crappy CGI?!
    I don't know why but I still watch it, even with all the plot holes and the stale acting...i guess its the concept that has my attention...
    I agree 100%. The show isn't very good, the writing, the acting the special effects, overall it just isn't very good or well done. If you concentrate on the dialogue it is so bad. but I keep watching for some reason. I think the overall concept is just a great concept, I just wish the execution was better. I thought the last 20 minutes of the pilot was great TV. A few other episodes have been good, but many have sucked. I guess I like the large themes

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I agree 100%. The show isn't very good, the writing, the acting the special effects, overall it just isn't very good or well done. If you concentrate on the dialogue it is so bad. but I keep watching for some reason. I think the overall concept is just a great concept, I just wish the execution was better. I thought the last 20 minutes of the pilot was great TV. A few other episodes have been good, but many have sucked. I guess I like the large themes
    yep I'm a sucker for good character/story development...I hate shows which have themes for single episodes...they bring me no joy...

Fringe

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The Season finales of Park and Recreation, The Office and 30 Rock.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watched the season finale of Modern Family last night. I was very surprised how good of a show it ended up. I thought the season should have ended with the previous episode. Though parts of it with the wife trying to fix the stairs reminded me of me and my fiance.

Also, watched How I meet your Mother and Big Bang Theory. Both were pretty meh.

Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    The Season finales of Park and Recreation, The Office and 30 Rock.
    What about Community? It may have passed The Office as my favorite Thursday night show. The paintball episode was absolutely hilarious, one of the best episodes of any show i have ever seen.

The Office was good, had some real strong funny moments i thought. 30 Rock was great, i need to watch it more regularly.

Not a huge fan of Parks and Rec, some episodes I like, others i don't.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    What about Community? It may have passed The Office as my favorite Thursday night show. The paintball episode was absolutely hilarious, one of the best episodes of any show i have ever seen.
    Unfortunately last nights season finale fell short of all the previous episodes. Really disappointing.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Just caught up with Fringe, and am anxiously awaiting next season. I thought it was an effective cliffhanger. Anna Torv obsession levels rising.

Going forward....Olivia's predicament may be what she needs to push her into exercising her Bell / Bishop induced talents. This would not be suspected, I think, by the Walternate, since the same drug trials / experiments maybe (?) weren't conducted in that world.

-----------------------------------

Justified on FX is maintaing a high quality, IMO.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Going forward....Olivia's predicament may be what she needs to push her into exercising her Bell / Bishop induced talents. This would not be suspected, I think, by the Walternate, since the same drug trials / experiments maybe (?) weren't conducted in that world.
    Good point. There are certainly parallels between her curled up in that room and "Olive" curled up in the corner with the ash all around her.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Just caught up with Fringe, and am anxiously awaiting next season. I thought it was an effective cliffhanger. Anna Torv obsession levels rising.

-----------------------------------

Justified on FX is maintaing a high quality, IMO.
    Getting better week by week.

Love how they have an actor from Deadwood on almost every episode.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Justified is a great show. Easily one of my favorites. I think Timothy Olyphant is perfect in this role. Kinda funny he is once again so good with a gun, like in Hitman.

FX has some very good shows. Justified, Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Archer, Rescue Me and some others as well.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed "The Pacific" although I do have some of the same questions Peck had with some plot decisions.

For the most part I thought the episodes could've been 90 mins instead of 60 mins. Some things could've used some more explanation or simply had more time spent on the story.

I didn't think the Lecke character was all that interesting or compelling either. I can't really put my finger on why although more than anything I think the script failed him a little. OTOH, just as Peck said Sledge and Snafu were both compelling characters.

When taken as a whole all the episodes interlocked but this isn't a mini-series where I think you could just start watching in the middle of a random episode and get hooked.

There were some excellent stories told but to fully appreciate them you needed the backstory that was provided along the way.

That said, if there was one episode that missed the mark I'd say it was the episode with them all in Australia (or was it New Zealand?). That just seemed to linger past the point of making its point.

Another nit to pick was the handling of the bombings that brought the war to an end. I wished they would've opened up the story focus to include some of that and the decisions being made back at home about it. You could've had these marines wondering what was next for them and how bad the invasion of the Japanese mainland could be... against a backdrop of TPTB debating/planning the bombings and their hope it would bring the war to an end.

But in any case, I liked how the final episode tied things up and filled you in on the lives of these men (and women) after the war.
    I agree with most of this. There were parts of the Pacific that were incredibly great, other parts that were very boring. Like Peck, I think they should have just stuck with the 2nd Marines, but they probably wanted to make Basilone and Guadalcanal part of the story.

I was much more intrigued with Sledge and Snafu. In fact, they could have scrapped the portrayal of Leckie altogether and replaced that part of it with Snafu. The actor (who is a U. of Evansville alum) did a superb job.

Have all episodes of Justified on my DVR and have watched the first two. I enjoy it, but don'ty feel any real need to watch each episode, except maybe it is just an enjoyable show to watch. I tend to like show buiild from 1 episode to the next more like Dexter or the Wire.

But I'll keep watching for now

I was out of the country when Community started so I havent seen any episodes other than the pilot which I downloaded. It was alright. The Season finale was on but I wasnt paying attention to it.

Chuck season finale- holy crap. This was such a terrific 2 hr finale. I say this for many things, but if you haven't watched this show, you're really missing out. What a great show, and an action packed ending. This season technically had 2 endings, but this 2nd one was just as good as the first. And a great way to end in the last 2 minutes.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Have all episodes of Justified on my DVR and have watched the first two. I enjoy it, but don'ty feel any real need to watch each episode, except maybe it is just an enjoyable show to watch. I tend to like show buiild from 1 episode to the next more like Dexter or the Wire.

But I'll keep watching for now
    That was my thought for the first 3-4 eps.

Like you I want an actual arcing story line and can't stand the shows that are wrapped up in a single episode. Hence why I can't stand procedural shows.

That was my fear with this show after about 2 eps. in but then we start to get to the arcing story line with Boyd Crowder (played brilliantly by Walton Goggins *Shane Vandrell from the shield*).

I think if you keep watching you will see there is a purpose to the show and it's not just a villain of the week type of show. This may have more humor that you would like but it's still pretty good.

It's not good on the level of Deadwood or the Shield but since neither of those are on then this is a fairly decent replacement.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

watching Canada's Worst Handyman and I just found out they filmed this last season in London which is pretty cool.

Just finished season #1 of Damages Yes I now understand peck why you said i need to watch this show in its proper order.

Really enjoyed season 1, I just love the tone and pace of this show. And it proves why procedurals miss the mark, as there is no way a procedural could have a plot as complicated.

They are re-showing season 2 on FX so I'm good to go

started with first season of 30 Rock...Alec Baldwin is doing his thing in this show...liking it so far....

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    started with first season of 30 Rock...Alec Baldwin is doing his thing in this show...liking it so far....
    The latter part of season #1 is great as is season #2 and then it gets a little too over-the-top for me

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post: