Page 78 of 185 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 4618

Thread: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Default Re: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

The bottomline with me on Dexter and the Shield. I didn't really like the Shield, it was OK and I watched it from time to time, but never got into it. Dexter was a little slow going at first but around episode 4 or 5 it grabbed me and didn't let go.

Dexter is just a damn good show

All of the very high praises of Dexter from you guys and basically anywhere I see the show come up has me curious enough to re-consider watching it, but I still don't know how I'm going to stomach "rooting for" Dexter.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All of the very high praises of Dexter from you guys and basically anywhere I see the show come up has me curious enough to re-consider watching it, but I still don't know how I'm going to stomach "rooting for" Dexter.
    I haven't watched Dexter yet, but did you "root" for Vic Mackey?

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    I haven't watched Dexter yet, but did you "root" for Vic Mackey?
    Most of the time, yeah.

I'm guessing you think that's wrong or hypocritical? I can understand that to a point.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Dexter is a fine show and entertaining and all, but it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread. They really pound in a lot of themes almost to the point of unintentional comedy. Many of the characters are monstrously annoying, etc. etc.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to pass on it after the pilot. Hicks, I think part of this might be that it's "built up too much" the more people hype something to me, the more I resist wanting to watch it. BSG was exactly that way for me. Too many people going Ape**** for me to want to be a "joiner".

If you decide to watch it some time in the future, know that Dexter becomes much more complex of a character the more you learn about his past, his life and his interactions with the people around him. And he IS the guy you root for.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

I remember clearly the first time I saw the first episode of Dexter and I was seriously questioning what in the world was wrong with my friend to suggest me such a show where the leading character is the way he is portrayed. But he told me to check it out and it gets better...this all happened during the first season of Dexter, he was on episode 7 before i had heard anything about it...so i took the time out to check it out and the characters just grew on me.

To simplify things - Dexter is not really a bad guy, but an ill person who is looking for a cure...and I guess things become a lot easier to stomach once you see the real evil that he is taking off from the streets...

but yea...i gotta back up LA behind what he said - when something becomes too hyped up...it also has a tendency to fall flat on its *** for me as well...so i really hope you don't feel that way towards Dexter though...cause once it starts rolling, you'll be watching the shows back to back to back....

Dexter IS the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

I never gave Dexter much thought for the 1st 3 seasons. I'd heard about it but I figured it was just another over-hyped show that would bore me like most over-hyped shows do (Did someone mention "Lost"?).... But then the 101 on Directv replayed Dexter's first season and it just so happened I was looking for something to watch.... and there that was in the guide... So I watched it late one night.

Hmmm... Interesting... different... So I caught the next one... and the next one... And suddenly my DVR was set to record all episodes. And then my DVR was set to record the episodes on Showtime.

I thought seasons 3 and 4 were the best yet. The writing and character development are superb for the central characters.

As the show goes along you learn alot about Dexter's back-story. Early on you learn that his father, a cop, saw serial killer tendencies in Dexter... and we're left to believe that his father believed that the only answer was to find a way to channel the urges...

But I've been wondering if subsequent episodes have been positioning us to start questioning whether his father actually saw these tendencies and channeled them... or created Dexter's 'dark passenger' by relying on too much his police instincts and thinking he possibly knew more than a doctor might and misread or atleast misjudged whether there was another solution...

That's not really a spoiler, that's just some random speculation on where things might be heading. I could've totally misread a couple of things. And after last season's ending I'm not sure where they will take this whole thing next....

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Most of the time, yeah.

I'm guessing you think that's wrong or hypocritical? I can understand that to a point.
    No and No.

The only show I can say I like better than Dexter is the Wire

Mood

Modern Family

I thought it was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Modern Family

I love that show. Always entertaining - they do a great job of incorporating each of the families (all the kids are great) and it is always funny too. Very well made show. Modern Family has passed the Office, Big Bang Theory, 30 Rock, New Christine on my list of favorite comedies. I also like the Middle a lot

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dexter is the best show on television. Giving up after the first episode is a travesty.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

There are many many other shows that I would consider to be much better than Dexter. I'm not saying I don't like Dexter. For the record, I think it's a great show. It gets a solid 'A' from me easy.

Deadwood, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Arrested Development, Always Sunny, Mad Men, Entourage, Sex and the City and Californication all peg as better TV shows than Dexter. This is just my opinion. I have not yet seen The Wire. (please see post about overhyping resulting in no-wanny-watchy syndrome).
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    There are many many other shows that I would consider to be much better than Dexter. I'm not saying I don't like Dexter. For the record, I think it's a great show. It gets a solid 'A' from me easy.

Deadwood, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Arrested Development, Always Sunny, Mad Men, Entourage, Sex and the City and Californication all peg as better TV shows than Dexter. This is just my opinion. I have not yet seen The Wire. (please see post about overhyping resulting in no-wanny-watchy syndrome).

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I never gave Dexter much thought for the 1st 3 seasons. I'd heard about it but I figured it was just another over-hyped show that would bore me like most over-hyped shows do (Did someone mention "Lost"?).... But then the 101 on Directv replayed Dexter's first season and it just so happened I was looking for something to watch.... and there that was in the guide... So I watched it late one night.

Hmmm... Interesting... different... So I caught the next one... and the next one... And suddenly my DVR was set to record all episodes. And then my DVR was set to record the episodes on Showtime.

I thought seasons 3 and 4 were the best yet. The writing and character development are superb for the central characters.

As the show goes along you learn alot about Dexter's back-story. Early on you learn that his father, a cop, saw serial killer tendencies in Dexter... and we're left to believe that his father believed that the only answer was to find a way to channel the urges...

But I've been wondering if subsequent episodes have been positioning us to start questioning whether his father actually saw these tendencies and channeled them... or created Dexter's 'dark passenger' by relying on too much his police instincts and thinking he possibly knew more than a doctor might and misread or atleast misjudged whether there was another solution...

That's not really a spoiler, that's just some random speculation on where things might be heading. I could've totally misread a couple of things. And after last season's ending I'm not sure where they will take this whole thing next....

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm along the same lines as you here. With both the father creating the "dark passenger" and with your spoiler. I actually talked to my brother about your "spoiler" idea after the season 4 finale which was the most genius thing I have ever watched.

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    I hope he put that one in there to see if we read his list.

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    Sex and the City was an absolute cultural phenomenon that had tongues wagging for a decade. It was one of the most liberated, empowering and flat-out outrageous comedies in history.

Yes, I believe it is much better than Dexter on the whole.

Mood

I've watched a few episodes and just didnt find it funny.

I bet you like Entourage, though. It's basically the same show only made much later after Sex and the City broke all those boundaries and paved the road for Entourage. The major difference between the two is that Entourage is geared towards young men instead of young women.

Mood

Actually haven't seen Entourage. It's on my to watch list.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    Actually haven't seen Entourage. It's on my to watch list.
    Ah, sorry for presuming. Entourage is awesome. Get it in your netflix or on DVD. It's a guaranteed good time at the TV set.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Fringe

Crazy awesome. Only bad part was alt-Liv wearing such a boring bra.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Sex and the City was an absolute cultural phenomenon that had tongues wagging for a decade. It was one of the most liberated, empowering and flat-out outrageous comedies in history.

Yes, I believe it is much better than Dexter on the whole.
    yes it was a cultural phenomenon, but i don't think that constitutes it being a great show. Unfortunately there is a lot of shows that are on TV which can be said as "culturally influential and a craze towards them" - however I, on a personal level just find it annoying to see all the girls try to be like THEM on TV. I don't get the same impression of the guys trying to be like what they see on Entourage...

Yes, Entourage is the guys version of Sex and the City, and yes it is pretty good...but for me shows like these are fluff entertainment and does not have the complexity of shows like Mad Men and Dexter which to me makes it rather unrealistic to compare them...

Just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I love that show. Always entertaining - they do a great job of incorporating each of the families (all the kids are great) and it is always funny too. Very well made show. Modern Family has passed the Office, Big Bang Theory, 30 Rock, New Christine on my list of favorite comedies. I also like the Middle a lot

LOVE Modern family. It's funny in unexpected ways and walways ends on a sweet note. I gotta say, for as varied as my viewing habits are, for me, the best comedies are ones with a tinge of sweetness or better yet, bittersweetness. Modern Family, Cougartown and 30 Rock are all vying for the number one comedy spot with me with MF ahead by a nose.

On another note, anyone see the season final of Supernatural? I thought they did a good job of leaving things open and hanging and setting themselves up for the final season, which had me apprehgensive. (Peck?)
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Modern Family

I watched the season finale last night and it was pretty funny. It is not gut busting funny, but it always gets some nice laughs out of me each episode and that is what I want from my comedies.

My top ones are Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, and How I Meet Your Mother.

Though How I Meet Your Mother has really slowed down for me. I just think they are running out of things to do and it seems Big Bang Theory is heading that way too.

Watched The Daily Show and Colbert last night. I love those two shows.