Page 19 of 185 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Thread: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default Re: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glad you liked it. it is a little bit of an acquired taste and if you aren't committed to watching it, I could see how many people never get hooked.

In each season the second to the last episode is the best.

is "The Wire" an ongoing series like lost/prison break/heroes where its basically following one story line while finishing the episode with cliffhangers or is it one of those shows like "Without a Trace" , "Monk" , etc where they tackle one story per episode and it doesn't really have much of a flowing feel to it?

Off Centre - its a bit old but still funny

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    Off Centre - its a bit old but still funny
    Man I loved that show.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

USS Jonas Ingram DD 938 cactusjack's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Uh, I looked at it and I didn't see anything that approached Erin Gray in spandex.
    Like I said, it's only the first episode, give them time. They have the potential with the actress playing Ming's daughter.
    Last edited by cactusjack; 08-11-2007 at 10:54 PM.
    Life's a piece of ******
    When you look at it
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
    You'll see it's all a show
    Keep 'em laughing as you go
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
    ------- Eric Idle

is "The Wire" an ongoing series like lost/prison break/heroes where its basically following one story line while finishing the episode with cliffhangers or is it one of those shows like "Without a Trace" , "Monk" , etc where they tackle one story per episode and it doesn't really have much of a flowing feel to it?
    I compare The Wire to watching a 12+ hour movie, essentially everything leads up to the final two episodes of the seasons but the show has many storylines some of which go from season to season or end in a few episodes etc. There is the political, police, drug dealers, omar is his own group, so there is a lot of time spent building each little storyline but in the end mostly all of them connect.

I watched a bit of Prison Break and could not stand it, first off I rarely watch anything outside of HBO so when I watch an hour show you get 1 hour of tv not 35-40 minutes with 20 minutes of commercials. Also couldn't stand the fact it seems like they are writing from one episode to the next and although it seems like a lot might be happening nothing really happens.

Does anyone on here watch any other shows on HBO? I'm really interested in watching Deadwood, I have the first two seasons downloaded but haven't had time to start watching, anyone highly recommend this show?

Also if you are getting tired of watching serious shows take a look at Entourage, really funny show, lots of great cameos.

LouisvilleLip had a good explanation of "The Wire". I compare it to a really good book. In fact that is how the makers of the show describe it and all the writers have written novels before. They don't do cliffhangers - there are no gimmicks, nothing sensationized - although the language is R rated and sometimes X rated, the violence seems very real.

Another thing that is different from any other show on TV, or HBO there is never any background music to help set the tone - it is told in a very straight forward fashion and yet it has many layers to it. You have to watch the show for Omar alone - he's worth the price of the DVD.

Man I loved that show.
    "I'm not gay, I'm British! Everyone confuses the two."

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleLip View Post
    Does anyone on here watch any other shows on HBO? I'm really interested in watching Deadwood, I have the first two seasons downloaded but haven't had time to start watching, anyone highly recommend this show?
    Friends of mine had been raving about Deadwood and I just started watching. Took me all of a week to bang out Season One.

It's really good. Not quite on The Wire's level, but a) what is?, and b) I'd definitely take it over any other HBO drama except for maybe Rome (which was pretty amazing, especially Season Two).

The main character is Al Swearengen, and he's honestly right up there with Omar.

Another thing that is different from any other show on TV, or HBO there is never any background music to help set the tone - it is told in a very straight forward fashion and yet it has many layers to it.
    This is one of my favorite elements of the show. There is no silly, ominous music when things are getting dangerous or dramatic background notes to try to make a certain way about a scene. They just lay out greatly constructed dialogue and action and assume the viewer is intelligent enough to determine their own emotions. It's sort of like watching a comedy without a laugh-track....You've got nobody telling you when you should laugh.

Another great thing about it is that, unlike Louiseville Lip's categorization of Prison Break's episode-to-episode level writing, The Wire has been pretty methodically planned since essentially it's conception. The creators, David Simon (who used to work the murder beat as a reporter for the Baltimore Sun) and Ed Burns (not the Ed Burns you know....this one is a former Baltimore homicide detective), give each season a general theme and story arc and they stick to it steadfastly and build the season from Episode 1 to Episode 12.

These guys also come from outside the "biz" and the fact that they haven't been conditioned to tell their stories in a standard, business-model way is very, very, very, very evident. Some of the actors aren't really actors either, and are just folk from Baltimore. By all accounts, the authenticity of the whole production is stunning. Essentially every detective or drug dealer that sees the show is amazed.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 08-12-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Big Brother 8 - Yet another Great episode

Big Brother
    Family Guy
    King of the Hill

Simpsons
    Paula's Party-Cooking show on the Food channel
    Dirty jobs-I love this show. The guy who is hosting it makes the show. He's hilarious.

Mythbusters-catching a couple episodes I hadn't seen yet.
    Family Guy
    Futurama on Adult Swim

Scrubs Season 5 on my computer

The Wire Season 2

Pretty good, with some excellent touches here and there (the poisoned prison dope, Omar in court, Jimmy crashing his car twice, Prez punching his father-in-law, the dock workers' tomfoolery, etc.) But I still felt it was a considerable drop-off from Season 1.

Season 1 was like watching a documentary, Season 2 reminded me early and often that it was a TV show. One coincidence after another to get the detail back together. Dominic West "affecting" a British accent to go undercover. And Ziggy had to be the most annoying character I've ever seen. Seriously, he could have been Barney the purple dinosaur and he would have been less annoying.

Anyway, I plan to watch Season 3 this week. I did a little research, and with Season 5 set to start in February, the Season 4 dvd's are expected before Christmas:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7875
    Last edited by Kegboy; 08-20-2007 at 05:30 PM.

The Wire Season 2

Pretty good, with some excellent touches here and there (the poisoned prison dope, Omar in court, Jimmy crashing his car twice, Prez punching his father-in-law, the dock workers' tomfoolery, etc.) But I still felt it was a considerable drop-off from Season 1.

Season 1 was like watching a documentary, Season 2 reminded me early and often that it was a TV show. One coincidence after another to get the detail back together. Dominic West "affecting" a British accent to go undercover. And Ziggy had to be the most annoying character I've ever seen. Seriously, he could have been Barney the purple dinosaur and he would have been less annoying.

Anyway, I plan to watch Season 3 this week. I did a little research, and with Season 5 set to start in February, the Season 4 dvd's are expected before Christmas:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7875

Wow, you watched that awfully quick. Ziggy was annoying. But Omar in court is a classic.

I'll be interested to see if you like season 3 as well as season 1.

I honestly cannot decide which season of the first 3 I like the best. Season 2 was only OK through the first 4 or 5 episodes, but I thought the last 2 or 3 episodes were as good as anything in season 1.

Wow, you watched that awfully quick. Ziggy was annoying. But Omar in court is a classic.

I'll be interested to see if you like season 3 as well as season 1.

I honestly cannot decide which season of the first 3 I like the best. Season 2 was only OK through the first 4 or 5 episodes, but I thought the last 2 or 3 episodes were as good as anything in season 1.
    Yeah, it's like a good book you can't put down. I've got the time until I start my new job next week.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

House hunters. Not sure why, but watching oher people trying to find a house is relatively interesting. Also watch Big Brother because my wife likes it. This has been one of the best seasons thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    House hunters. Not sure why, but watching oher people trying to find a house is relatively interesting. Also watch Big Brother because my wife likes it. This has been one of the best seasons thus far.
    I watch both those shows too, and Big Brother this season is very good. So much unexpected activities have been going on. I have yet to miss an episode in the 8 year run of the show. Sad I know but it is a great show.

And what is this Wire show everyone is talking about?? What channel are new episodes on??

And the last shows I watched were:
    Two and a half Men
    South Park
    The Hills
    The Hills Aftershow
    King of Queens
    Colbert Report

Angel... Continuing through all of the seasons. TNT plays two episodes per day. They started at the beginning and are now into season 3 I think. I dvr them.

Sesame Street-Nora Jones was on this time. I love that girl, she can flat out sing with some soul.

Partially watched Colts versus the Bears.

Mood

First time watching Angel, or is this a revisit? I'm slightly excited, actually; I haven't watched Deep Space Nine, Buffy, or Angel in a year or so now at least (probably longer for DS9), and I'm starting to feel the "itch" to watch them again. I know when that time comes I'm going to have a blast all over again. (I have the DVD sets for each series so I can start, stop, resume as I need).

If this is your first time through, obviously you like it enough to keep watching, but how overall do you feel about it?

I watched it when it was live, although we didn't really watch Angel until the second season.

Now we're getting into the episodes we've seen, but man I loved that show.

I wish they would find someway to bring back something from that line of buffyverse. Something like Spike or Willow?

Willow might be kinda kick *** to have her on show.

Quote Originally Posted by newman8r View Post
    And what is this Wire show everyone is talking about?? What channel are new episodes on??

It's the best of the HBO shows.

It's about the drug trade in lower-class Baltimore and the police/goverment/schools/communities that are trying to fight it and/or deal with the repurcussions. On the surface, it mostly follows the Avon Barksdale crew of dope dealers and a group of 5-10 main detectives who are doing their best to lock these guys up.

But it's about A LOT more than that. Really, you just need to watch it.

There are no new episodes right now, but Season 5 (the final season ) started filiming in May and is now in production. I don't believe there's any official word from HBO yet, but it will likely premiere in February 08.

They'll probably start airing older episodes on HBO again as they lead up to the final season (and/or put them OnDemand if you have that), but your best best is to just start NetFlixing Season 1 now.

You won't be dissapointed.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 08-21-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    I watched it when it was live, although we didn't really watch Angel until the second season.

Now we're getting into the episodes we've seen, but man I loved that show.

I wish they would find someway to bring back something from that line of buffyverse. Something like Spike or Willow?

Willow might be kinda kick *** to have her on show.
    As I recall, around the time Buffy was ending they were seriously considering a Faith show, but I think it flopped because at the time Eliza was working on a show with FOX (I want to say it was called "Tru Calling"). Too bad, really.

Tru calling had promise but it flopped too.

The are about 3 episodes past when Buffy died right now in Angel. I'm thinking that was a season finale, but I can't remember. They walk in to the hotel and Willow is sitting in the lobby crying.