Page 147 of 184 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,675 of 4583

Thread: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Default Re: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hear ya Peck. There was a series called Invasion on ABC in 2005 that was every bit as good as Lost IMO and they pulled the plug. It only lasted one season but I have that season on DVD. If shows don't show ratings right now on network TV they are history. So sad.
    Is Invasion that show about aliens coming down during a Hurricane?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I loved The Newsroom. I can't wait for season two...
    My problem with The Newsroom is that it was preachy, as most Aaron Sorkin movies/shows are. I loved 'Sports Night' and was very excited for The Newsroom. I thought the first episode was great. But then Sorkin did what Sorkin does and preached over and over how we SHOULD have reacted to certain news stories, even though hindsight always makes those things easier. I thought Jeff Daniels was great and I do think there is a shell of a good show there, but much like 'Sports Night's' second season, it just became too much for me to stomach. Had to tap out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    So your saying I should try and watch this? I am always nervous with Network shows because they are very quick to pull the trigger on a show that may take some time to get a following so when this came on mid season I just didn't pick it up.

Also I have to ask, is this a full story or is it just a villain of the week/procedural show? I will say NBC did take a risk and stuck with Grimm, which I think is a terrific show but just not what you'd expect from them.
    I agree with the fear networks will pull shows quickly. My wife and i joke every time we start watching a new show that it will be dropped after we get into it. We love Grimm and are happy it is still on. That move to Tuesdays was crazy, but it goes back to Fridays this season.

I hear ya Peck. There was a series called Invasion on ABC in 2005 that was every bit as good as Lost IMO and they pulled the plug. It only lasted one season but I have that season on DVD. If shows don't show ratings right now on network TV they are history. So sad.
    We liked Invasion as well. We were not happy it did not return.

The last show i watched, and am currently watching is Brain Games.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post
    My problem with The Newsroom is that it was preachy, as most Aaron Sorkin movies/shows are. I loved 'Sports Night' and was very excited for The Newsroom. I thought the first episode was great. But then Sorkin did what Sorkin does and preached over and over how we SHOULD have reacted to certain news stories, even though hindsight always makes those things easier. I thought Jeff Daniels was great and I do think there is a shell of a good show there, but much like 'Sports Night's' second season, it just became too much for me to stomach. Had to tap out.
    I totally get that criticism, and hear it a lot. It is, and I don't begrudge people for being turned off by it. I just like the characters, and find the writing consistently excellent.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Also I have to ask, is this a full story or is it just a villain of the week/procedural show?
    It's a combination of the two to start out, then it eases into the major season story. There are a few cases to begin with where it seems like the creative team just asked, "What are some of the most poetic and gruesome ways you can kill someone?". Even the procedural parts seem completely different from what's on most network shows. The murders manage to be shocking, but not exploitative. No scanning for semen samples here.

And the major arc for the season is for the main character, played very well by Hugh Dancy, who is pushed by into the field because of a particular serial killer. Over the course of the season, you see how trying to solve these murders for someone who can experience complete empathy can change who he is and how that affects his work and the people around him. The highlights of the show are the gorgeous cinematography, the gripping soundtrack, the exquisite cuisine, and Mads as Dr. Lecter. It's closer to a show on the Sundance channel, or maybe FX. I'll probably rewatch it soon, though NBC seems to only have the last five episodes online.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I totally get that criticism, and hear it a lot. It is, and I don't begrudge people for being turned off by it. I just like the characters, and find the writing consistently excellent.
    It's Aaron Sorkin so I expect to be inundated with preachy liberal monologues. I can handle some of the silly back and forths in the script that seem to go on for a page or two too long. I'm even willing to look past some of the revisionist history and obvious hindsight they use in their news stories. But the characters are what turned me off more than anything.

Jeff Daniels is great as Will McAvoy. I don't love his character but the acting overcomes it a bit. Outside of him, everybody else is just awful. Mac is a whiny brat and Emily Mortimer's voice just accenuates her obnoxiousness. Dev Patel does a fine job as the sterotypical Indian dork but that's about as much substance as I've seen from that character. Don seems like a prick for no reason other than the need for a prick. Sam Waterston just seems to be playing his Law & Order character with alcoholism. Olivia Munn is hot. Call me sexist if you like but that's all I remember about her character. She was entirely unremarkable outside of her appearance. Maybe they just ought to have her get naked in every episode to make her serve a purpose.

Which brings me to my biggest hate of the show. Jim and Maggie. I hate them individually. I hate them even more together. They're terrible characters in every sense of the word.

It's almost like Sorkin wrote the first couple of episodes and realized that Jim was boring and annoying and Maggie was boring and annoying and thought that by pairing them up they'd stop being boring and annoying. Instead his languid writing and need to put a love story into every storyline just made two dull characters more boring.

And back to the love story thing. Seriously. Jim and Maggie, Will and Mac, Olivia Munn and the Indian dude. There doesn't have to be forced sexual tension in every scene to make a television show interesting. It doesn't help when the characters have so little chemistry together. It just makes things awkward and slow. And I can't think of anything that described that show better than awkward and slow.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really enjoyed the Newsroom, but I totally understand the criticisms. It doesn't and never will have the broad appeal of a show like Game of Thrones, it just isn't as well done and doesn't have the action either. I enjoy Mcavoy a lot as a character and for me at least he makes up for a lot of the flaws in the show. I don't even really agree with Sorkin's political views, but Mcavoy I can relate to a bit.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Welp... the final season of Dexter started tonight. Not sure what to make of the first episode or what to expect for the season. It's 6 months or so into the future to start things out. I'm not sure how the cliffhanger from last season was resolved detail-wise
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    They've introduced a strange... weird... complicated... something character with Dr. Vogel...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Dexter has gone so far downhill. I'm only watching the final season because I watched the others, but it needs a Nip/Tuck-esque mercy kill. Has just turned into such a bad show all-around, especially after it looked like it might rebound in S4 (Trinity).

Barring some major turnaround this season IMHO Dexter missed out by not letting S4 be the final season. In retrospect that would've been an awesome series ender... IMO

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Anyone watch Under the Dome.

I missed it, but am intrigued a little by it.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Anyone watch Under the Dome.

I missed it, but am intrigued a little by it.
    Saw the pilot. Even for Stephen King network TV miniseries standards, the acting & writing was godawful.

Luther is back on BBC for series 3 now, just as a heads-up to folks not familiar with UK TV schedules.

Nerd.
    Mood

Got ahold of Game of Thrones, season 1. Going to go on a viewing binge this weekend. Should be great. I have not read the books. My wife has done both tv and books.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

For Dexter I'm putting early money on Dr Vogel 'helping' Dexter lead a normal life because she'll come to believe that 'the code' was short-sighted. No idea what will become of Deb. ...And as Dexter reaches the last episode with his new look on life, no longer in fear for and about his future, 'cured' of his desire to kill.... little Harrison will kill an animal for the fun of it... fade to black...

------

-John Wooden

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...unity-season-5

Well, this new piece of news about "Community" season 5 is not cool cool cool: as first reported by Vulture's Joe Adalian, Donald Glover will only be appearing in 5 of next season's 13 episodes of the NBC comedy.

Glover, it seems, wants to devote more time to his rapping alter ego Childish Gambino, and worked out a deal with Sony to limit his appearances in the fifth season. (This is also a budgetary win for Sony, which will only have to pay Glover for those five episodes, and not pay Chevy Chase at all.)

streets ahead

This is the darkest timeline.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post

Anybody watch Netflix's House Of Cards with Kevin Spacey? It has a really high rating on IMDB.

Anybody watch Netflix's House Of Cards with Kevin Spacey? It has a really high rating on IMDB.
    Yes, it was outstanding.

Superbly acted.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Yes, it was outstanding.

Superbly acted.
    Thanks...I'll check it out. Did you watch the other series Hemlock Grove?

streets ahead

Didn't bother with "Hemlock Grove", though I plan to check out "Orange is the New Black" at some point.

As for "House of Cards" ... excellent performances by Corey Stoll and Michael Kelly. I wouldn't go as far as to say the show is outstanding. It's okay, occasionally irritating (though it feels like a series that could have a much better second season than first).

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Thanks...I'll check it out. Did you watch the other series Hemlock Grove?
    Yea, I'm on episode 10 I think. That show won't be for everyone, it's even a little strange at times for me, but I still enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Didn't bother with "Hemlock Grove", though I plan to check out "Orange is the New Black" at some point.

As for "House of Cards" ... excellent performances by Corey Stoll and Michael Kelly. I wouldn't go as far as to say the show is outstanding. It's okay, occasionally irritating (though it feels like a series that could have a much better second season than first).
    THANK YOU. Everyone says Spacey was amazing...Stoll stole (no pun intended, really) that series.

Hemlock Grove's pilot was way too awful for me to advance any further. Which is too bad, because I really enjoy Eli Roth's filmography.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post: