Page 146 of 190 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 4736

Thread: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Default Re: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Game of Thrones has butchered Stannis. The writers are able to do great things with so many other characters, but they make Stannis look like a jerk and a zealot. He is neither. He just uses Melisandre because her magic works, not because of religious beliefs. The way he acted with Gendry was totally out of character.

The ending was disappointing because they had other options that they could have used to continue the "what the hell just happened?" season ender they had in the first two seasons. The Arya scene was actually a recreation from the second book, except it was a guard at Harrenhal. I was happy to see Aemon back too.
    I was a bit disappointed they didn't end with a certain cliffhanger. Chronologically, it would make sense, though I kinda get why they avoided it as close to the RW as they did. Basically, they're saving a lot for S4, so I hope the impact is substantial.

I totally agree about Stannis. Without reading forums, discussing with people -- just speed-reading through the books, ahead of the show, myself -- I really found myself drawn to Stannis. Cold & practical, but easy to side with as a reader, and generally a pretty smart guy who has his head in the right place...rare ground in Westeros. The TV series just makes him out to be a pouting, maniacal dick who condemns Davos to death more times than I can count, only to decide against it. They've made him way too much a produce of R'hllor, as opposed to just being the committed, rightful king he comes across as in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I was a bit disappointed they didn't end with a certain cliffhanger. Chronologically, it would make sense, though I kinda get why they avoided it as close to the RW as they did. Basically, they're saving a lot for S4, so I hope the impact is substantial.

I totally agree about Stannis. Without reading forums, discussing with people -- just speed-reading through the books, ahead of the show, myself -- I really found myself drawn to Stannis. Cold & practical, but easy to side with as a reader, and generally a pretty smart guy who has his head in the right place...rare ground in Westeros. The TV series just makes him out to be a pouting, maniacal dick who condemns Davos to death more times than I can count, only to decide against it. They've made him way too much a produce of R'hllor, as opposed to just being the committed, rightful king he comes across as in the books.
    The other cliffhanger that would have worked for me was involving Bran and friends. Weird changes with Sam's story.

The other cliffhanger that would have worked for me was involving Bran and friends. Weird changes with Sam's story.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Eh, Stannis comes off that way in the books because we are seeing him through Davos' perspective. The show has had him say and do pretty much everything he's said and done in the books. Thing is, other than being the actual rightful heir, he hasn't done anything but flee the capital, lose his big battle, and sit at Dragonstone. They fleshed him out this season by showing Lady Selyse and Shireen.

Plus, I think they're very conscious of making sure no one feels like the obvious choice for who should lead. And despite his loss, he still had many badass moments in the Battle and has kept Ned S-I mean, Ser Davos, as Hand of the King despite multiple mistakes (betrayals). So I'm withholding judgment on Stannis to see how he does next season.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Mood

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Game of Thrones has butchered Stannis. The writers are able to do great things with so many other characters, but they make Stannis look like a jerk and a zealot. He is neither. He just uses Melisandre because her magic works, not because of religious beliefs. The way he acted with Gendry was totally out of character.

The ending was disappointing because they had other options that they could have used to continue the "what the hell just happened?" season ender they had in the first two seasons. The Arya scene was actually a recreation from the second book, except it was a guard at Harrenhal. I was happy to see Aemon back too.
    I think they have to do that with Stannis especially in season 3 because he didn't have many scenes. They needed to make his threat to Gendry real IMO. I still don't see him as a jerk and a zealot personally, just extremely conflicted. He is like bizarro Ned Stark brutally married to honor and duty. I am the rightful king, but I am also a guy who doesn't inspire much loyalty, he is just cold and distant and I would say that it is true in books and TV if you can get past Davos's love for him in the books.

And I think the Arya scene was supposed to combine the Harrenhal scene and the book 3 tavern scene, but I suppose the tavern scene could still occur.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 06-18-2013 at 10:06 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Ugh, Nip/Tuck & True Blood come to mind. Not enough fire in the world to have given those shows the mercy kills they needed after first few seasons.
    I watched the first two seasons of TB, and then pretty much gave up on it in season 3, whenever I see a preview for it now, I am thinking to myself, How the hell did I watch 20+ eps of that?

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Eh, Stannis comes off that way in the books because we are seeing him through Davos' perspective. The show has had him say and do pretty much everything he's said and done in the books. Thing is, other than being the actual rightful heir, he hasn't done anything but flee the capital, lose his big battle, and sit at Dragonstone. They fleshed him out this season by showing Lady Selyse and Shireen.

Plus, I think they're very conscious of making sure no one feels like the obvious choice for who should lead. And despite his loss, he still had many badass moments in the Battle and has kept Ned S-I mean, Ser Davos, as Hand of the King despite multiple mistakes (betrayals). So I'm withholding judgment on Stannis to see how he does next season.
    Agreed, it is important to remember that Davos loves Stannis more than life itself in the books, Stannis is his god, so when read through his perscpective Stannis comes off a little different, but in the end I think he's basically the same dude.

As far as cliffhangers, I mean personally, I think Dany now having thousands of new slaves to feed and care for is pretty big cliffhanger in and of itself. At least with the unsullied when she freed them, they were all warriors. Now she just basically freed a whole city, women, children, elderly, ill, etc. That is pretty freaking important unless they just suddenly act like it never happened next year, possible I guess, but improbable IMO That changes her game and her timeline IMO.

I'm sure the Internet won't abuse or otherwise overuse this one . . .

So I was just watching an awesome series of videos by 'comicbookgirl19' on YouTube covering a lot of the history of Game of Thrones world/families/characters that DOESN'T talk about story lines to come that have already played out in the books. Well, mostly. Read on for an explanation, though I'll warn of vague spoilers.

I knew a good chunk of this already because of some well done bonus materials on the blu-ray releases of Season 1 and Season 2.

However, there were still things I did not know and others that I now have better clarification on.

I generally highly recommend watching these videos, but a few serious caveats:

1) They are NOT safe for work. Subject matter and naughty language make these a no-go in a work or school environment.

2) At least one of the backstories has not been revealed yet on the show (not this part, anyway), so on the one hand it's stuff that happened in the past and in that sense is not a spoiler, on the other hand it involves a prophecy the character was told about them, and if I heard it correctly, it's proven true thus far into the story, therefore what it GOES ON to say about this person's future is PROBABLY a relatively big spoiler, though it's obviously a vague prophecy so while you get the 'what', you're not going to get the context of 'how' and 'why' or 'when'.

3) Based on all of the history, it leads her to talk about a THEORY amongst the fans of the books that HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED OR REVEALED in the books that are already published. So if the theory is true, it's a pretty big spoiler (not as big as Ned or as big as The Red Wedding, but would be a pretty cool/big revelation/discovery), but if not, then, well, it's not. I will say this. I love this theory, I hope it's true, and you know what, I doubt we're going to know (at least not on TV) for a long, long time yet to come, either way, so I'm not really sweating it. I suppose if nothing else it suggests that a certain someone ISN'T going to die any time soon, though. Anyway, I do love this theory.

4) Obviously I've been pretty anal about being spoiler-free, and I've tried very hard to not know anything, and I did not dare look down at the YouTube comments while watching these out of that same fear. I didn't know I was going to learn any of these things while watching the videos, so I wasn't seeking this stuff out, either. The backstory prophecy caught me by surprise, but I could have turned it off when they talked about the theory, but I figured "hell, it's not fact, so why not hear it out". And I'm mostly glad I heard it because I like it so much.

So how do I feel about learning what I've learned? Well . . . it's probably more than I wanted to know, yet it's not NEARLY everything that is to come, because the world is just so big and there are so many characters, and again it's some big 'whats' but doesn't go into 'when' 'why' or too much 'how' (with one exception, though even that's not precise as it sounds at first), so at the same time I only kinda feel spoiled. Basically, it boils down to some big deals involving some of the characters, but even though they're big deals, that cannot be the entire story, or probably even most of the entire story, so I don't feel like I'm truly that spoiled, either. I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about that right now. I am quite confident there's a ton that I don't know, though, so I'm feeling okay overall.

I will say this, I don't want to learn anything else. This was plenty.

I think I watched them out of order, but I ran through them like this:

Lannister history part 1 & 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9q4Ht-W164
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLXmhA0jVOI

Stark history part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hVrlvRXGxg

Targaryen history (single video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfYj-cHM5c

Start history part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7yeYWax7EE

I'd say that's as much spoilage as I am willing to take while still feeling majority-spoiler-free for what is to come. So if you don't think you want to even go that far, stay away, but otherwise, I highly recommend them as they're fascinating and well done.

I believe she will be producing one about the history of the Baratheons next. Looking forward to it!

I've heard many good things about Deadwood over the years.

But I've never seen a minute of that show because I did not have HBO the years it was around.

Well, it looks like Amazon has it on sale on blu-ray for a cheap price (for the whole series in one package set), so I'm taking the plunge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Retail is $179.99, and while I'm sure it never goes that high in Amazon, I also doubt it's usually 64% off and being sold new for $64.99, either. *edit* Apparently last week Amazon sold it for $113.61. Sweet!

I'm excited to see what this is about; it reminds me a little bit of how I got into Game of Thrones; I still didn't have HBO when Season 1 came out, but heard people buzzing about it, and one day Amazon had S1 on BD for $19.99 so I took the plunge, and boy am I glad I did!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Hey Hicks at work so can't watch but is number 3...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I've heard many good things about Deadwood over the years.

But I've never seen a minute of that show because I did not have HBO the years it was around.

Well, it looks like Amazon has it on sale on blu-ray for a cheap price (for the whole series in one package set), so I'm taking the plunge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Retail is $179.99, and while I'm sure it never goes that high in Amazon, I also doubt it's usually 64% off and being sold new for $64.99, either. *edit* Apparently last week Amazon sold it for $113.61. Sweet!

I'm excited to see what this is about; it reminds me a little bit of how I got into Game of Thrones; I still didn't have HBO when Season 1 came out, but heard people buzzing about it, and one day Amazon had S1 on BD for $19.99 so I took the plunge, and boy am I glad I did!
    Honestly this is an either or show. In other words your either going to love it or hate it I've never really heard a single person be down the middle of the road about it.

Personally I love it, I mean to the tune of it being one of my favorite TV shows of all time in particular that first year. But I know people who just hate it as well.

I'll say this though you've never seen another show like it or even close.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Hey Hicks at work so can't watch but is number 3...

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Yes. I love this idea. Not just in and of itself, but
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I took a gamble even clicking on that. What if you had some completely different plot or character you were thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yes.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm assuming you've read the books TJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I'm assuming you've read the books TJ?
    I finished book 3 last Friday.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Honestly this is an either or show. In other words your either going to love it or hate it I've never really heard a single person be down the middle of the road about it.

Personally I love it, I mean to the tune of it being one of my favorite TV shows of all time in particular that first year. But I know people who just hate it as well.

I'll say this though you've never seen another show like it or even close.
    Very much this. And I think it stems from the characters. You either fall in love/hate with these characters, form bonds, find yourself invested in what they say & do...or you don't. Deadwood has a way of making Mad Men look action-packed. It's the quintessential character drama.

One word of note, too: don't be too put off by the dialogue. It seems unnecessarily vulgar, and unnecessarily Shakespearian throughout -- but you get used to it, and at least in my case, you learn to appreciate the beauty of David Milch's writing. There really is a certain poetry to Deadwood, unlike anything else I've ever seen written for TV. It can be a lot to digest on a first sit-through, and when it starts getting into the politics of Yankton etc. I found myself kinda lost, but it's absolutely worth a watch the first time for the characters alone, and in subsequent viewings for more appreciation of them in relation to the dialogue/plot.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Agreed, it is important to remember that Davos loves Stannis more than life itself in the books, Stannis is his god, so when read through his perscpective Stannis comes off a little different, but in the end I think he's basically the same dude.
    Yup, and I haven't had a chance to look at this specifically because my books are loaned out, but in many of Davos' chapters, he's watching Stannis completely surrounded by Lord of Light fanatics. His wife and bannermen (I'm thinking the Florents) are shrilly screaming about how Stannis is the savior chosen by the One True God. Stannis comes off as honorable and steadfast contrasted with these lunatics, but that's also Davos differentiating everyone else from Stannis. If Selyse and Axel Florent were in the show screaming about how awesome R'hllor is in every scene, Stannis would seem much less devout; though viewers would probably hate his wife more than Joffrey.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ugh, Nip/Tuck & True Blood come to mind. Not enough fire in the world to have given those shows the mercy kills they needed after first few seasons.
    Yes! True Blood is another good example. I watched that 2-3 seasons longer than normal just because there isn't much else on during the summer months. The Newsroom is another. I've cancelled HBO, so I won't be watching either this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post
    Yes! True Blood is another good example. I watched that 2-3 seasons longer than normal just because there isn't much else on during the summer months. The Newsroom is another. I've cancelled HBO, so I won't be watching either this year.
    I loved The Newsroom. I can't wait for season two...

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Mood

If you told me two years ago that the best show on NBC, nay, network television, would be an adaptation of characters from the Hannibal Lecter books, I would have said that you were dumb. But, holy ****, Fuller, Slade, and company have created a beautiful, rich, dark 13-episode poem on mental illness, psychopathy, loneliness, and loss. Hannibal is one of the best shows on TV. If it's not in the top tier with Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Thrones, Louie, then it's damn close. I've become fully invested with this show; appointment viewing for season 2.

If you told me two years ago that the best show on NBC, nay, network television, would be an adaptation of characters from the Hannibal Lecter books, I would have said that you were dumb. But, holy ****, Fuller, Slade, and company have created a beautiful, rich, dark 13-episode poem on mental illness, psychopathy, loneliness, and loss. Hannibal is one of the best shows on TV. If it's not in the top tier with Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Thrones, Louie, then it's damn close. I've become fully invested with this show; appointment viewing for season 2.
    So your saying I should try and watch this? I am always nervous with Network shows because they are very quick to pull the trigger on a show that may take some time to get a following so when this came on mid season I just didn't pick it up.

Also I have to ask, is this a full story or is it just a villain of the week/procedural show? I will say NBC did take a risk and stuck with Grimm, which I think is a terrific show but just not what you'd expect from them.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I hear ya Peck. There was a series called Invasion on ABC in 2005 that was every bit as good as Lost IMO and they pulled the plug. It only lasted one season but I have that season on DVD. If shows don't show ratings right now on network TV they are history. So sad.
    Last edited by presto123; 06-23-2013 at 03:56 AM.