Page 142 of 185 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 4605

Thread: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Default Re: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Season 4 felt like the cast and crew were paid to produce fan-written scripts. It was rough IMO. Sometimes amusing, but mostly it was just Zombie Community to me. Kind of saddened that it's coming back yet again. Just let it die.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean that season four suffered greatly from the showrunners/writers trying to be so accurate/true to the source material (the first three seasons). That it was trying so hard to be the show that Harmon ran that it rarely felt like they had even considered trying to make it its own thing. Unless you enjoyed season four, then the comment about Abram's detachment being helpful (contrasted with the Community writers' adherence being a hinderance) would easily come off as incorrect I know you're a fan of the show, but I do not know how you felt about these last thirteen eps.
    Ah. I thought that you were saying season four was an example of a 'good result' when someone new/detached comes in (and that it pained you to type Community sans Harmon qualified).

As for this season... I mean... I'm not even sure what to say. On the one hand I agree with the idea that Port and Guarascio need to make the show their own and not just try to mimic Harmon. And yet the two best episodes were theme-episode pandering ("Felt Surrogacy" and "Basic Human Anatomy").

So I don't really know where that leaves us other than hoping Jim Rash can crank out 10 scripts for season 5.
    This is the darkest timeline.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Season 4 felt like the cast and crew were paid to produce fan-written scripts. It was rough IMO. Sometimes amusing, but mostly it was just Zombie Community to me. Kind of saddened that it's coming back yet again. Just let it die.
    I still like the characters and despite the terrible episodes it's not the worst show on TV, so I'm glad it'll be around a little longer. Who knows, maybe Port and Guarascio can have a West Wing-like turnaround in their second season.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Anyone watch scandal?

I just got season one. People keep telling me I need to watch, hopefully it is good
    I could probably take the time to answer this on my own, but I read this Pajiba piece the other day and the author was reading my mind grapes.

How Insane Cast Chemistry Transforms One of TV's Worst Dramas Into One of Its Best

By Dustin Rowles | May 6, 2013

On paper, ABC’s “Scandal” may be one of the most overblown, ridiculous shows on television. Take a moment and consider what has happened on the series so far (spoilers ahead):
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Honestly, this is just a taste of what’s gone on in “Scandal,” and it’s only in its second season.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

“Scandal” shouldn’t work, and honestly, I’m not entirely sure why it does. It’s not because of Shonda Rhimes, the showrunner behind “Scandal” and “Grey’s Anatomy,” who is responsible for the storylines, because the storylines are absurd, and the show has chewed through more plot in 27 episodes than Breaking Bad would in 27 seasons. The writing is not particularly great, either. Here’s a sample line, delivered by Olivia Pope to her assassin and close friend, Huck, who she saved from homelessness a while back:

I have to admit, I’m not a person who gives change to homeless guys in
    the Metro. I don’t do that. I don’t stop, which is. I don’t stop. But I
    stopped for you. You made me stop. It was your eyes. You have the
    saddest eyes. They were sadder than mine.

That’s meant to be a poignant scene, and it is, despite the silliness of the dialogue, and the ridiculousness of the situation. Context won’t help, either. Context makes it sound even more absurd.

Yet, “Scandal” is one of the most enjoyably addictive shows on television. Some weeks, it is so absorbing, enthralling, and riveting that it’s hard to even classify it as a guilty pleasure. I want to attribute the success of the series to the acting, but even that’s a stretch. Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope does things with her mouth and eyebrows that, if you were watching “Scandal” on mute, would make you think she’s having a simultaneous orgasm and migraine. Guillermo Díaz, who plays Huck — the most lovable hit man on television — delivers his lines with clipped stoicism, while Tony Goldwyn — who plays President Fitzgerald — is probably the only guy who can look like he’s having a bowel movement while reluctantly accepting a blowjob from the First Lady in the shower. But it works. It works because Columbus Short is fast-talking charm; it works because Joshua Malina is Joshua Malina; it works because the First Lady (Bellamy Young) is deliciously evil, it works because I don’t know whether to love or hate the Chief of Staff (Jeff Perry), and it works, of late, because Scott Foley is playing a charming operative who is either Olivia Pope’s savior or her worst enemy, and I can’t tell which from week to week.

“Scandal” is an aberration. It’s a show where nothing works, and yet everything does. Do ten wrongs make a right, because that’s exactly what seems to be at play on “Scandal.” I can’t stop watching, and yet if I were to pull any one element out of the series and analyze it critically, I’d be completely baffled. It’s the perfect storm of over-the-top writing, melodramatic acting, and absurd storytelling that’s all tenuously held together by duct tape and some of the best chemistry on television. It’s only a matter of time, of course, before it all falls in on itself and implodes under the weight of its own silliness, but until then, it’s one of the few remaining hour-long pleasures of network television, and I’m going to ride it out as long as I can stand it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

As a big fan of the first 3 seasons, I like the characters too, but they didn't always feel like their true selves to me. Again I felt like I was watching a fan script, where the characters acted sort of like you would expect, but it just felt like they were doing/saying things fans would expect them to say, rather than something more . . . organic? I don't know if that's the right word, but Harmon had a distinctive voice not only for the plot, but for each character and their dialog as well.

Is Once Upon A Time still as good as it was about 10 shows in? I only saw about the first 10 episodes. Anybody watch Pretty Little Liars? I don't but I've heard good things about the show.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    Any one watch The Office last few episodes? I know season 9 wasn't great, but the series definitely ended on a high note. Well done last couple episodes.
    I did. I slogged through the last few seasons but I'm glad I stuck it out. When they weren't able to do anything in season 8 after Michael left, I thought they should end it. In hindsight, I'm glad we got one more season with that group, regardless of how uneven it was.

"The Office" literally spanned the entire relationship I have with my wife. It debuted a few months before we met in '05, became the first show that was 'ours,' and we watched every episode together. So it's always going to hold a special place for me, as much as a TV show can.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post
    I did. I slogged through the last few seasons but I'm glad I stuck it out. When they weren't able to do anything in season 8 after Michael left, I thought they should end it. In hindsight, I'm glad we got one more season with that group, regardless of how uneven it was.

"The Office" literally spanned the entire relationship I have with my wife. It debuted a few months before we met in '05, became the first show that was 'ours,' and we watched every episode together. So it's always going to hold a special place for me, as much as a TV show can.
    Ya, it was a special show for a lot of people I think. I think the last couple episodes kind of made me forget about the last season. It felt more like the old episodes, and while I am curious what it would've been like if they did all of season 8 and 9 like that, I am very glad it ended on a good note.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Just watched last week's Mad Men finally. I don't know what the hell that was. Feel like the show's trudging towards the finish line.

No GoT this week.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Is Once Upon A Time still as good as it was about 10 shows in? I only saw about the first 10 episodes. Anybody watch Pretty Little Liars? I don't but I've heard good things about the show.
    I didn't care for the first couple of episodes of Once Upon A Time, so I couldn't comment on that... but my wife loves the show.

And Pretty Little Liars is great for the eye candy, particularly Ashley Benson (giggity), but otherwise it's a pretty poorly-written and -acted show. Obviously made for 15-year-old drama queen girls.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

I want to start a new series. Which of these series would you recommend the most?

The Wire
    Deadwood
    Arrested Development
    Six Feet Under

Any other series as good as these?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want to start a new series. Which of these series would you recommend the most?

The Wire
    Deadwood
    Arrested Development
    Six Feet Under

The Wire. One of the best shows I've ever watched.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

The Wire
    Deadwood
    Arrested Development
    Six Feet Under

Deadwood is by far the better writing, IMO, of the 3 I've seen. Never watched Arrested Development. The Wire was really well done, and got so depressing to me that I quit watching in the middle of the last season.

The usual suspects: HBO's Rome was really good. Dexter ditto. If you haven't been watching Justified, you should. Sons of Anarchy's worth watching.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

The Wire is the best show I have ever seen

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been watching Arrested Development Season 4 all day on Netflix. So far, still so very classic AD.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    I've been watching Arrested Development Season 4 all day on Netflix. So far, still so very classic AD.
    About four eps in. It seems like they put out an open casting call and every single person in Hollywood raised their hands. Between that, keeping up with the intersecting storylines, the callbacks, the new in-jokes, and the other twenty things flying over my head every episode, it's a lot of work. Still incredible TV comedy writing. Considering the creative control that Netflix has given these new shows, the broadcast people have to be terrified.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Just watched last week's Mad Men finally. I don't know what the hell that was. Feel like the show's trudging towards the finish line.
    Hmm, maybe I just have Weiner blinders, but I think the show continues to be amazing. I'd seen theories that Weiner's new movie took some time from writing the first few episodes, but supposedly even those hypothetical concerns seem to be lifted. What's missing for you?

The Wire
    Deadwood
    Arrested Development
    Six Feet Under

I would add the Shield to your list and would recommend it.

But it really depends on what you like to watch. Each of the shows you have listed are excellent but are nothing alike.

If I were listing them in the order I would watch it would be.

1. The shield
    2. Deadwood
    3. The Wire
    4. Arrested Development
    5. Six feet under

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Method One Clinic
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Mood

The Wire
    Deadwood
    Arrested Development
    Six Feet Under

If you want to stay in a "The Killing" mood then yes to "The Wire" or as Peck suggested "The Shield".
    If you want a comedy then yes to "Arrested Development". I haven't seen the other two so I can't personally recommend them...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Deadwood is the best show on that list but if I had to recommend any one show I'd go with Justified.

The Wire
    Deadwood
    Arrested Development
    Six Feet Under

The Wire is the greatest show I've ever seen.

Arrested Development is the greatest comedy I've ever watched.

Six Feet Under is one of my favorite shows of all time.

Can't vouch for Deadwood as I haven't seen it, but I want to watch it.

In my opinion, every one of those shows should be watched at least once.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

So, Harmon is saying he is back on Community.

Has this happened before? Also, can we be sure that NBC will still exist before the next season is set to be delayed?

Game of Thrones was outstanding tonight!!!
    David "And One" West

Game of Thrones "Rains of Castamere" - HOLY STARK....... So many questions after that **** went down. One of the most shocking scenes ever on TV in my opinion.

What will become of Jon Snow and Ingrid? WHere is Ghost?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Game of Thrones "Rains of Castamere" - HOLY STARK....... So many questions after that **** went down. One of the most shocking scenes ever on TV in my opinion.

What will become of Jon Snow and Ingrid? WHere is Ghost?
    It was disturbing indeed!!! I loved it!! Don't wanna spoil anything, but a certain character sooooo got what he deserved
    David "And One" West