Page 12 of 187 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Default Re: What TV Show Did You Last Watch

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We missed it because my wife forgot it was on. Erika was an idiot for not putting one of the guys up. If either of them get Head of household then she is gone. She is probably gone anyway, because one of the other 3 should win anyway.
    Tonight they did a whole week of bb in one night. hoh, pov, and eviction all in one night. Janelle won hoh and she nominated erika and george. Erika won pov, takes herself off, janelle puts boogie up, george gets evicted in a 2-0 vote. Damn Chilltown is genious.

Big Brother All Stars

Such a good episode although I wanted to see Erica out way more than chicken george. But man Will is soo smooth. If he makes it to the finals and doesnt win that will be stupid. He deserves the money just for the fact that he has made it this far being a previous winner.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Off topic but have you ever heard if they were ever going to release the Spiderman cartoon that used to run on fox several year ago? I know you can get episodes here & there but has anybody ever heard if they are going to release the series?
    I think that series ran '94 - '98. Mark Hamill voiced the Hobgoblin. So many characters made appearances on that cartoon. Captain America, Nick Fury, Frank Castle, Fantastic Four, Dr. Doom, many of the Xmen, Daredevil, and Blade.

They have released four or five dvd's of the series, but no true season boxed sets.

Maybe, we'll get the season boxed set releases when Spiderman 3 hits theaters.

Yes, Dear!

Speaking of The Wire, Sports Guy raves about it below. Never seen it, and I know I probably should give it a try, but honestly, I haven't liked an HBO series since 1st and Ten.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060901

17. "The Wire"
    Readers kept telling me to watch this show. They implored me. They kept e-mailing me. They badgered me. I didn't listen. As I've described multiple times in this space, I hate being told that I should watch a show; I like discovering them at my own speed. And if it made me three or four years late for the party with classics like "The Sopranos" and "24," so be it. It's just that I can't willingly jump onto a show; it needs to happen organically.

For instance, here's what happened with "The Wire:" On a Tuesday night in mid-August, the Sports Gal and I were home with nothing to watch and ending up stumbling onto "The Wire Re-Up" button on HBO On Demand. I'd been avoiding this show for four years because the Baltimore drug scene didn't appeal to me unless Raffie Palmeiro and Miggy Tejada were involved. But the Sports Gal was the one who said, "Let's watch the first show of 'The Wire' and see if we like it."

Within 10 minutes, we were hooked. We ended up banging out three episodes the first night and another three the second night. Then our cable system switched to a new provider ... and all the Season 1 episodes disappeared into thin air. Now we were scrambling. None of the video stores around us had Season 1 in stock. I ended up ordering Season 1 online (two-day delivery courtesy of Amazon Prime), but we were so hooked on the show that when someone returned Season 1 to our video store, we rented the last three discs that same night. We banged out the last seven episodes in two nights before the DVD was even delivered. That's how hooked we were.

I'll go this far: I'd put Season 1 of "The Wire" against anything. The first three seasons of "The Sopranos." Seasons 1 or 2 of "24." The first seasons of "NYPD Blue," "ER" or "Miami Vice." You name it. I have never seen a show like it. Season 2 wasn't as good (if Season 1 was an A-plus-plus-plus, then Season 2 was a B-plus), and we're just about to dive into Season 3, so I don't have an opinion on that yet. Everyone seems to agree that they outdid themselves with Season 4 and that it's a legitimate masterpiece. Just know that you can absolutely start watching Season 4 without having seen the other three seasons. It's not an ideal way to break into the show, but you can do it.

Without giving too much away, four more things you need to know:

A. Before I started watching "The Wire," my four favorite TV/movie detectives of all-time were Sonny Crockett ("Miami Vice"); Jack Cates ("48 Hrs."); Johnny Kelly ("NYPD Blue"); and Nick Curran (Michael Douglas' character in "Basic Instinct"), who couldn't break away from Sharon Stone even though he knew that every time she climbed on top during sex, there was a 50 percent chance she might ram an ice pick into his chest. But Jimmy McNulty in "The Wire" (played by Dominic West) ... he might end up beating them all before everything's said and done. He might have even moved to No. 1 during the scene in Season 2 when they raid a brothel and he ends up in a threesome before the rest of the cops arrive. Not even Sonny Crockett would have done that.

B. I love any show with a slew of mostly no-name actors that bang their roles out of the park, although it was weird to see one of the leads from "Remember the Titans" playing drug lord Avon Barksdale. With that said, Alonzo Mourning gives an inspired performance as Stringer Bell (Avon's manipulative consigliere). Maybe the best athlete/Hollywood crossover since Kareem in "Airplane."

(Wait, that's not Alonzo Mourning? Are we positive?)

C. In an attempt to be gritty, they didn't cast any of those Angie Harmon/Jill Hennessey types who always seem unrealistically cute for a drug/crime show set in a place like Baltimore. And since the actresses on the show are average-looking down the line, guess what happens? It's like the Lambeau parking lot, any press box or any NESCAC keg party ... the females who do appear on this show end up seeming disproportionately hot by about the fifth episode. Absolutely bizarre. I love when this happens.

D. Omar might be my favorite HBO villain since Adebici. And that's saying something.

Anyway, I can't believe I didn't watch this show sooner. It enrages me. I'm not doing the "YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS SHOW OR YOUR WHOLE LIFE WILL BE INCOMPLETE!" routine, because that might scare you away. Just know that it's one of the five greatest shows I've ever seen. And I hope you stumble across it some day.

Organically, of course.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Speaking of The Wire, Sports Guy raves about it below. Never seen it, and I know I probably should give it a try, but honestly, I haven't liked an HBO series since 1st and Ten.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060901

No duh, it is a great show. The best way to describe it is to say it is like a great novel. No, not a book that is made into a movie or TV show, but a great novel that is a TV show to begin with. In fact all the writers on the show write novels.

Kegboy, if you are interested in watching the show, I'd highly recommend you start with season one (I believe you have to watch at least two episodes to get into it, surprised it took the sports guy 10 minutes). I have the DVD for season one if you are interested I'd loan them to you.

Holmes on Homes

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    No duh, it is a great show. The best way to describe it is to say it is like a great novel. No, not a book that is made into a movie or TV show, but a great novel that is a TV show to begin with. In fact all the writers on the show write novels.

Kegboy, if you are interested in watching the show, I'd highly recommend you start with season one (I believe you have to watch at least two episodes to get into it, surprised it took the sports guy 10 minutes). I have the DVD for season one if you are interested I'd loan them to you.
    Thanks for the offer. I'm pretty busy with my new house right now, maybe after things die down a bit.

Does watching the first webisode of Battlestar Galactica count? Season 2.5.........5?

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dead Like Me

Another science fiction/fantasy show killed before its time.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

"The Wire" starts Sunday night at 10:00. There was a review in Friday's Indystar saying it is the best season yet, wow that is really saying a lot.

I cannot recommend this series enough, but if you decide to give it a try, you must give it two full episodes (it is like reading the first two chapters of a new book) and be prepared to be lost, bored, confused and almost ready to turn the channel, but slowly the show will pull you in and once it does you will never leave.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...sion-headlines

'The Wire' weaves its own world

BY VERNE GAY
    Newsday Staff Writer

September 7, 2006

A critic for this paper once declared "The Wire" "the greatest dramatic series ever produced for television" and as the fourth season gets under way Sunday night, there's no reason to quibble with that assessment. Maybe a word here or there could stand a trim - "ever" does seem awfully generous while there are nights, and seasons, when "The Sopranos" is superior - but "The Wire" was and indisputably remains one of TV's very finest creations.

What "The Wire" doesn't have, and never has, is "approachability," proving yet again that all the magnificent acting, writing, editing and directing in the world might put critics into a swoon but not necessarily viewers. Their fault? Hardly: "The Wire" seems to revel in its impermeability, its plot loop-de-loops, its street talk that's so sharp it cuts. What are poor viewers to do? Embrace this porcupine?

In fact, they should, and the fourth season is as good a place as any to start. Here's why: Several new doors open Sunday, revealing fresh dimensions in the Baltimore created by David Simon and Ed Burns - the former cop, now "Wire" writer, upon whose experiences this series is broadly based. Burns became an inner-city high school teacher after his tour in blue ended. Former Det. Roland "Prez" Pryzbylewski inaugurates his first day at a West Side school by scraping gum off the bottom of seats. "Prez" (Jim True-Frost) was a wiz at wiretapping - for which the series is named - but had (shall we say) personal control issues. As a teacher, he's calm, gentle, and generous though utterly ineffectual in the chaos of the classroom. Prezbo, as the kids take to calling him, desperately wants to sow his idealism, but this season reasonably asks, will he be able to?

Then there are the kids, four newcomers to "The Wire" who are absolutely terrific. In the allegory of "The Wire," Simon and Burns are clearly fascinated by this foursome because they are perfectly poised between two worlds - of "the corner" and of a legit life outside of crime. Which way will they go? Namond Brice (Julito McCullum) already appears consigned to the corner, the innermost circle of hell in "The Wire," but not Duquan Weems (Jermaine Crawford), Randy Wagstaff (Maestro Harrell) or Michael Lee (Tristan Wilds). School as much as character will determine their fate but in the tightly interlocked world of Baltimore, the school itself is as impotent as anyone or anything else.

Meanwhile, councilman Tommy Carcetti - brilliantly played by Aiden Gillen - is making a run for mayor. Carcetti is a glorious condensation of the whole world of "The Wire" in one human frame: Smart, grim, realistic, funny, romantic, and utterly soaked in a cynicism that nearly incapacitates him. He knows he can beat Mayor Clarence Royce's (Glynn Turman) butt in a televised debate but will still wake up the next morning a white man in a city that's almost all black. Royce? You wonder if this corrupt political hack ever had a scintilla of the idealism of Carcetti, or if he is perhaps a mirror image of Carcetti's own future?

Quickly, catching up with some of the other characters from seasons past: Det. "Herc" Hauk (Domenick Lombardozzi) gets cushy duty as the mayor's chauffeur and later witnesses his boss in a compromising position, which (naturally) leads to a big promotion. Det. Lester Freamon (Clarke Peters) of Major Crimes fast-tracks some investigations of Royce cronies, which (naturally) leads to a big demotion. Det. Shakima Greggs (Sonja Sohn) gets busted down to Homicide where she must endure the endless razing of "Bunk" Moreland (Wendell Pierce), another one of "Wire's" classic characters.

On the street, Marlo Stanfield (Jamie Hector) is a growing kingpin, and may be TV's most menacing hood, unless you prefer Omar (Michael K. Williams), "The Wire's" gay street cowboy, or Marlo triggerman Chris Partlow (Gbenga Akinnagbe).

Finally, let's talk about difficulty. It's the common rap on "The Wire" - that the street talk can be indecipherable, or the cop talk just as knotted, or the plot lines too twisted. For you newbies, here's some advice: Just stick with it. "Wire" demands that you enter its world, unlike other TV series, which try to insinuate themselves into yours. There's not much exposition here but everything is revealed drop by drop, like a leaky faucet. Clarity finally emerges, and the view is splendid.

THE WIRE. Returns for a fourth season as good as ever. Sunday at 10 p.m. on HBO.
    Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

Stargate SG1, and Stargate Atlantis

Seinfeld - The one where George parks in the handicap parking space and his fathers car gets destroyed.

Anyone watch "The Wire" Sunday night. I didn't as I'm still working my way through season 3. But many of the reviews I've read about season 4 indicate that season 4 is the best season yet.

Nerd.
    Mood

Finished rewatching season 4 of Smallville last night, I've got Season 5 in hand right now (came out today on DVD) and season 6 is out near the end of Sept.

Cosby Show. Same old same old

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Anyone watch "The Wire" Sunday night. I didn't as I'm still working my way through season 3. But many of the reviews I've read about season 4 indicate that season 4 is the best season yet.
    It looks good. In fact it looks better than season 3 so far.

However there are some major changes in the character makeup of the show. No new B.P.D. officers but some of them have new weird job assignments. (see Hurk).

Overall though episode 1 gets two thumbs up from me.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    It looks good. In fact it looks better than season 3 so far.

However there are some major changes in the character makeup of the show. No new B.P.D. officers but some of them have new weird job assignments. (see Hurk).

Overall though episode 1 gets two thumbs up from me.

I would say at least through the first 5 episodes, season three is weaker than 1 or 2. Of course it is all relative, even at its worst the Wire is highly additive and highly watchable.

The decision to focus season four on 4 school kids and the school system is a brilliant decision. Ed Burns who is one of the executive producers, and really second in command behind David Simon, is a former Baltimore school teacher, so he knows of what he speaks, and writes.

Big Brother 7: All-Stars Finale.

Glad to see that Mike won over Erika. Will deserved to win but stupid Janelle kicked him out last week like a fool that she is. Diane was right in saying that Janelle and Will deserved to be the final two. At least one of the Chill Town members won.

House

Some kid had some brain problems and house was trying to fix it. I had to tape it and i missed the first 10 minutes cause I forgot about it but I was glad to see the rest of it.

sweabs

The Sopranos

Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Watched The Wire season 3 episode 6 and 7 . Wow just when I thought season 3 was a little lackluster, Avon gets out of prison and things pick up. Looks like the last 5 eps are going to be excellent

The Wire will end after season 5. I wish it would go on forever. The fact that only 1.5 million people watched the season 4 premiere is troubling to me, what do people want to watch on TV.

The media will be the focus of season 5, that should be interesting

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-th...p-tv-headlines

HBO Stays Up on 'The Wire'
    Acclaimed series gets a fifth and final season
    Zap2It.com

September 13 2006

Following mountains of critical praise that have called it perhaps the best work ever produced for television, HBO has renewed "The Wire" for a fifth season.

The novelistic drama about cops, drug dealers and the people caught in between in Baltimore began its fourth season on Sunday. Only about 1.5 million people watched the episode, down some from the 1.8 million who saw the third-season premiere in 2004. Still, HBO, which is less beholden to ratings than ad-driven networks, opted for quality over quantity.

The audience numbers for the show also don't include people who watched the premiere on demand. HBO is making each episode this season available on demand six days before its scheduled Sunday airing on the network.

"We are delighted -- though not surprised -- at the initial critical response to the new season of 'The Wire,'" says Carolyn Strauss, president of HBO Entertainment. "[Series creator] David Simon and his remarkable team have created a riveting and thought-provoking series that's unlike anything else on TV."

The current season of "The Wire" examines the education system, focusing on four West Baltimore boys (new cast members Julito McCullum, Maestro Harrell, Tristan Wilds and Jermaine Crawford) who may have a chance to escape the drug culture that surrounds them, though the odds are not in their favor.

Season five -- which will be the show's last -- will deal with the role of the media within the city.

"The last question we want to ask is this: For four seasons, we have depicted that part of urban America that has been left behind by the economy and by the greater society, and chronicled entrenched problems that have gone without solution for generations now," Simon says. "Why? What is it that we see and sense about these problems? To what are we giving attention, and what is it that we consistently ignore? How do we actually see ourselves?"

King Of The Hill
    Cosby Show

The season finale of Blade, The Series

All in all, highly enjoyable, though I fear they spent half their budget on this last episode. I heartily recommend the show to anyone who even remotely enjoyed the movies.