Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

  1. #1
    always the bridesmaid Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15,338

    Sports Logo

    Default Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    http://www.nba.com/pacers/statement-...-indiana-fever

    NEW YORK, March 28, 2015 – The following joint statement was issued today by the NBA, WNBA, Indiana Pacers and Indiana Fever in regard to the Religious Freedom Restoration Act recently signed into law in Indiana:

    “The game of basketball is grounded in long established principles of inclusion and mutual respect. We will continue to ensure that all fans, players and employees feel welcome at all NBA and WNBA events in Indiana and elsewhere.”

    Additionally, Pacers and Fever owner Herb Simon stated:

    “The Indiana Pacers, Indiana Fever and Bankers Life Fieldhouse have the strongest possible commitment to inclusion and non-discrimination on any basis. Everyone is always welcome at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. That has always been the policy from the very beginning of the Simon family’s involvement and it always will be. ”
    Good.

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,366

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Agreed that it's good.

    But also very sad that they had to make such a statement.
    UncleBuck:

    "See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

  4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Posts
    2,715

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Here we go....

  6. #4

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed that it's good.

    But also very sad that they had to make such a statement.
    Probably because if the Pacers have any plans large or small for 2015 free agency, we have to let people know that our team and organization aren't on board with the insane ideas of these troglodytes. Otherwise, it'll make free agents not wanna come to Indy even more than usual.

  7. #5
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    485

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    I disagree with any organization that uses this law to pick up easy PR points like this.


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,366

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably because if the Pacers have any plans large or small for 2015 free agency, we have to let people know that our team and organization aren't on board with the insane ideas of these troglodytes. Otherwise, it'll make free agents not wanna come to Indy even more than usual.
    That's not even close to why it's sad. Not even close.
    UncleBuck:

    "See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,143
    Mood

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not even close to why it's sad. Not even close.
    Typical troglodyte.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  12. #8

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not even close to why it's sad. Not even close.
    Socially of course you have a good point but free agency for sports teams hinges on if players want to be associated with the city they play in. Laws like this do have an effect.

  13. #9

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Sometimes - basketball just doesn't matter.

  14. #10
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,910

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with any organization that uses this law to pick up easy PR points like this.
    How can you even blame any organization for just reaffirming that they operate from policy of embracing diversity, in the face of this new law and the national blowback the state is receiving from it.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,598

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with any organization that uses this law to pick up easy PR points like this.
    This isn't picking up PR points. It's protecting your entertainment-based business, which relies on the disposable income of the public.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-31-2015 at 12:48 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,549
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    If you operate a buisness in the public space, and that business takes advantage of federal, state, and local tax policies that are voted on and funded by ALL the people, then your business should be required to serve ALL the people. That's as simple as this issue can be made, and that doesn't even bring anyone's religion into the equation.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  20. #13
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    485

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Ive given this some more thought, and these statements I am ok with. i am howevere still vehemently opposed to many of these boycott Indiana statements. punishing 8 million people for the actions of very few when there are ways you can more directly target the politicians is reprehensible to me.


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:


  22. #14
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,598

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ive given this some more thought, and these statements I am ok with. i am howevere still vehemently opposed to many of these boycott Indiana statements. punishing 8 million people for the actions of very few when there are ways you can more directly target the politicians is reprehensible to me.
    Reprehensible? They're elected officials..... Who do you think gave them their jobs? Who do you think has the power to remove them from their jobs?
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-31-2015 at 02:14 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  24. #15
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,910

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    No doubt that this law is going to get amended in clarified, but I hope it serves as a wake up call to the residents of Indiana. When you give one party the super majority in the state house, bad things generally follow.

    I'm not sure why this governor feels that he and his party have a mandate to legislate how they see fit, he didn't get a majority of the votes during the election. It was a much closer race than people expected it to be.

    Step away from these social issues and be a pro-business republican.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  26. #16
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55 - Now, Then, Forever
    Posts
    6,721

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reprehensible? They're elected officials..... Who do you think gave them their jobs? Who do you think has the power to remove them from their jobs?
    I didn't vote for any of these ********. I instead chose to vote for Kodos.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  27. #17
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,598

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't vote for any of these ********. I instead chose to vote for Kodos.
    I get that. A lot of people didn't. But it wasn't enough people for it to matter.

    All the public and financial pressure will be temporary so long as there is pressure from the constituency of the governor and the local legislature to make changes. That's generally how grass roots politics works.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  28. #18
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    485

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers and Fever statement on RFRA

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reprehensible? They're elected officials..... Who do you think gave them their jobs? Who do you think has the power to remove them from their jobs?
    But my point is why hurt the population of Indiana to get to these people? You could target him directly with targeted marketing/lobbying campaigns...


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •