Thread: The Final Episode of The David Letterman Show

Default The Final Episode of The David Letterman Show

In case anyone wanted to talk about it this is the post

Default Re: The Final Episode of The David Letterman Show

I know a lot of celebrities were photoed arriving, such as Peyton, but do we know that these celebrities are actually part of the show as opposed to simply being in the audience for the final episode?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

It could be both like each of them is part of the Top 10 list or some other skit.

I doubt you can fit all these people in one hour just the more notable ones.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peyton probably is just in the audience, but who knows

Also, the show went 17 mins over the normal runtime, FYI
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dave looks genuinely happy to see Peyton there.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

...And tonight just drove home what I've always thought...
    What a shame Dave didn't get The Tonight Show just as he and Johnny wanted.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

It was a nice finale, I enjoyed it.

Especially enjoyed the photo montage during the Foo Fighters song. Seeing all the zany guests and bits from the old days. Made me feel nostalgic.

Oh, and during Conan O'Brien's show, Conan announced when it was time for everyone to change the channel to switch to Dave. I thought that was pretty classy. Conan gave Dave credit for saving him when he was struggling in the ratings early on when he first took over Latenight.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

That montage was incredible.

------

-John Wooden

First CBS "Late Show with David Letterman"
    https://youtu.be/GkzAL1h01Y4

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great sendoff.

Glad I had the opportunity to see an episode of Letterman taped back in July 2009. Paul McCartney was a guest and performed a free concert on the famous Late Show marquee after the episode was taped. You could see everyone in the neighboring office and apartment buildings perched up against the windows watching. That was definitely a memorable experience that I'll never forget.

I was a huge Dave fan back when he was on NBC after the Tonight Show and then for the first 7 years or so he was on CBS, but then I stopped watching and really haven't watched at all for along long time. Do have the final show on my DVR, hope it got the last 15 minutes that went over

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was a huge Dave fan back when he was on NBC after the Tonight Show and then for the first 7 years or so he was on CBS, but then I stopped watching and really haven't watched at all for along long time. Do have the final show on my DVR, hope it got the last 15 minutes that went over
    My Directv schedule didn't get updated to show the show was 17 mins over but thanks to a post here I was able to manually set it to record an extra 30 mins. Otherswise it wouldn't have recorded the extra 17 mins. Meanwhile, that also allowed me to notice that some rerun of something tagged as a first run episode had priority over Letterman... so I almost didn't get it recorded at all.

I didn't think the opening monologue of the show brought much to the table, other than the joke about not getting the TS cementing that this fact is still on Dave's mind.... But the rest of the show was great IMHO. It was upbeat with many old clips and the video montage at the end with the Foo Fighters providing a live soundtrack was great IMHO. That montage drove home just how great and innovative Letterman had been.

------

-John Wooden

I teared up during that montage with the Foo Fighters, it was absolutely amazing to see all the crazy things that happened on the show. I haven't watched Letterman in awhile but he was always my first late show host that I watched and I'm especially proud that he's a hoosier. I have never liked Leno and never thought he was funny and always believed Letterman was better and deserved that NBC spot. But no matter, you can absolutely tell how much Letterman meant to all the late show hosts and how much they revered him. Kimmel canceled his show and Conan told everyone to go watch Letterman. Gonna miss Dave.

And I think Colbert is going be terrific
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Well, with a renewed interest in Letterman's show and the disappointment in missing many episodes of late, I was hoping to catch up on some with summer reruns that I was sure CBS would run in the interim before Colbert's show debuts in the fall. BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ They are running "The Mentalist" in Dave's slot.
    Very disappointing.
    Even though I lost some interest in the show in the later years, one constant was Dave was always there at 11:30 when I wanted to tune in.

------

-John Wooden