Thread: That was possibly... [a.k.a. 'the rant thread']

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default That was possibly... [a.k.a. 'the rant thread']

...the dumbest late game play calling EVER!

BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Default Re: That was possibly...

You give the ball to the 2 guys who were tossing bricks up left and right in the fourth for the final 2 plays of the game. Stephen Jackson and Anthony Johnson.

This is the most dissapointing loss of the entire season. Talk about CHOKING. I haven't seen more bricks thrown up in my lifetime then I saw for the final 5 minutes that AJ and Jack did.

Why the hell was Tinsley not on the floor?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't even want to talk about this pathetic performance, I seriously am getting sick talking about it.

I bet the Rocket fans are just laughing their asses off.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't seen more bricks thrown up in my lifetime then I saw for the final 5 minutes that AJ and Jack did.
    Foster's ? or do they not count?

You are are out of your mind, the Pacers gave everything they had.

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

Logic.

Logic tells us that the best shooter should get the last shot.

And again, it did not happen.

How many times has the best shooter not gotten the last shot??? Huh??!!! HOW MANY?!?!?!?!?!

Very disgraceful loss, and thats all I have to say about that.
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Why the hell was Tinsley not on the floor?
    Wondered that myself.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I don't think anyone is disputing that, UB. Most of us are pissed that the usual chokers managed to "do their thang" again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball Kid
    Logic.

Logic tells us that the best shooter should get the last shot.

And again, it did not happen.

How many times has the best shooter not gotten the last shot??? Huh??!!! HOW MANY?!?!?!?!?!

Very disgraceful loss, and thats all I have to say about that.
    Is he willing to take them? It's not just been the last shot Peja hasn't got, he has hardly been scoring in the 4th at all.

I have no problem with Jacksons shot. He got a good look it didn't go. Now the last ISO for AJ is a different matter.

The effort was there. I allowed myself not to hate Foster because he was a monster on the boards and had a few late game steals and all those missed layups were off of his own offensive boards. The Rockets had some key defensive plays there to as well. I really think we need to start looking to Peja alot more in the 4th for the time being.

Peja was very much involved the Pacers last two plays. AJ threw him the ball and Peja could not get a decent look so he passed to Jax. On the final play, AJ was driving and Peja was on the far right side and he would have gotten the ball if he would have been open, Peja was blanketed.

Peja could the ball a ton in the last 6 minutes tonight, many plays were called for him

Yeah they did and got coached to a loss by Rick Carlisle.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think anyone is disputing that, UB. Most of us are pissed that the usual chokers managed to "do their thang" again tonight.
    Yeah, Foster was a beast tonight. He deserved this win, if anyone. We played our asses off, just too bad we couldn't hit **** in the end.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Peja was very much involved the Pacers last two plays. AJ threw him the ball and Peja could not get a decent look so he passed to Jax. On the final play, AJ was driving and Peja was on the far right side and he would have gotten the ball if he would have been open, Peja was blanketed.

Peja could the ball a ton in the last 6 minutes tonight, many plays were called for him
    If Peja was blanketed, and Jack shot a contested shot, then that means someone was open, right?

Default Re: That was possibly... [a.k.a. 'the rant thread']

If you watch the last play of the game, Jax threw the ball in to Johnson and instead of hitting him as he was going toward the basket, Anthony got the ball moving away from the basket as he was coming around the double screen. This negated him driving towards the left side of the basket because the defensive man had recovered by then. All AJ could do was attempt some ill fated drive because Jax gave the play little chance for success by throwing the ball in 1. early 2. away from the basket

The play was doomed as soon as it left Jax's fingertips. Don't blame Rick, blame that low IQ forward of ours. His crap drives me nuts, over and over, he's a broken record of screw ups.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

If Peja was blanketed, and Jack shot a contested shot, then that means someone was open, right?
    Sarunas was pretty open in the left corner.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    Sarunas was pretty open in the left corner.
    It didn't matter who was open because AJ was taking the shot. We've seen this enough all season long that we have to assume that is what is coming. If AJ has the ball in the waning seconds of a quarter then he is taking the shot. The same goes for Freddie. There will be no pass.

I've decided that is what Carlisle wants otherwise at this point neither player would be in the game in those moments since Carlisle would know they will break the play. IOW, he's getting what he wants... the play isn't broken at all... even tho more times than not it is ugly. If it is not what Carlisle wants then he needs to put a stop to it and he has a bench to do that but yet we see it over and over again. So I believe it is what Carlisle wants. He'd rather have one guy holding the ball and taking a prayer rather than risk a TO from a bad pass or someone taking a shot too quick and leaving too much clock for the other team.

I'm not sure why we can't run some motion, get some screening, and try to get someone to pop open for a shot. ....or get someone going to the basket for a backdoor play. "Princeton". Instead we get AJ (or Freddie) doing a Travis Best impersonation above the 3 point line and then a defended (weak) shot.

Blowing a lead is one thing (and a road trip game on back to backs with a shallow bench does lead to a team being tired) but when it gets down to one shot to win (however that occurs) it would be nice to think we have a real play... not someone expected to beat the other team one on one.

We have a team. Let's use them the whole game. Share the ball... the whole game... That includes the final play whether we're up by 20, down by 20, or down by 1 point. Travis Best is gone... let his ghost go too.

Enough is enough.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Bball, if they aren't doubled then yes Rick wants them to take the shot, if they are doubled then he wants them to pass. Another factor to consider on these type of plays is that usually there is limited time when the play actually starts so you may not have much time for a pass.

Bball, if they aren't doubled then yes Rick wants them to take the shot, if they are doubled then he wants them to pass. Another factor to consider on these type of plays is that usually there is limited time when the play actually starts so you may not have much time for a pass.
    There were 25 seconds last night.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Furthermore, I don't care if it's one guy AJ or 5, it just takes one to have him covered, and thus force a bad shot, which he always takes anyway. Of course sometimes he'll hit it, but not most of the time, probably not even 1/3 of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Furthermore, I don't care if it's one guy AJ or 5, it just takes one to have him covered, and thus force a bad shot, which he always takes anyway. Of course sometimes he'll hit it, but not most of the time, probably not even 1/3 of the time.
    My feeble memory can only recall AJ hitting the little 'over the back' flip that was after Sjax passed him the ball (he was fouled and then MISSED a very important 'and 1' which kept some suspense in the game) and I vaguely recall he might've hit one recently (and I could be confusing that with Freddie).

Out of ALL these end of game/quarter shots he's taken I'd be shocked to learn he's anywhere near 33% on end of game/quarter shots. I bet it is more like 5-10% this season.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I don't know. I'd like to see Peja get more 4th quarter looks, but part of me is always left wondering if a major factor is not so much play calling but that Peja doesn't really aggressively approach freeing himself up for good looks. Seems like he's a lot more active in looking for his shot in the first three quarters.

If you want to pick on AJ, pick on his inablitity to finish the fast break two on one last night. Him and Jax blew the game when they couldn't finish with about 1:30 left in the game. I felt like I was watching middle school basketball. Enough complaining, lets move on.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    If you want to pick on AJ, pick on his inablitity to finish the fast break two on one last night. Him and Jax blew the game when they couldn't finish with about 1:30 left in the game. I felt like I was watching middle school basketball. Enough complaining, lets move on.
    I don't know that Sjax should get any blame on that one.
    IMHO it was just a bad pass.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden