Thread: 6 year CBA Extension Approved !!!!!

Lightbulb 6 year CBA Extension Approved !!!!!

Owners likely to vote on March 8

NFL.com wire reports

GRAPEVINE, Texas (March 7, 2006) -- What is supposed to be the absolutely, positively final meeting to solve the NFL's labor problems began with owners trying to decide whether to accept the union's latest proposal.

A decision on whether to extend the collective bargaining agreement was unlikely to come down until March 8, close to the latest deadline of 8 p.m. ET. It'll take that long for the owners to resolve their differences over internal revenue sharing, the most divisive issue facing them. If they don't get that straight, a deal in unlikely.

Most of the first three hours of the meeting was spent simply listening to commissioner Paul Tagliabue go through details of the union's proposal.

"It's going to be a while. Quite a while," said Buffalo's Ralph Wilson, one of leading proponents of revenue sharing.

But there seemed to be some hope they would reach an agreement that would extend the contract that runs out after the 2007 season. It came from Dallas owner Jerry Jones, who is 180 degrees away from Wilson on sharing, but suggested for the first time that he might have to give in a bit to let the owners solve their dispute.

"We want to play football," Jones said as he entered the meeting. "We have an obligation to everyone, particularly our fans.

"My gut is we're going to come up with something, but it's still up in the air. It's going to be long and drawn out and tough."

Finding a solution now is critical because free agency, pushed back twice, is scheduled to start Thursday with a $94.5 million salary cap that could go as much as $10 million higher if there is an extension. And although both sides have agreed there will be no more extensions there would be one more if there is an agreement -- until 12:01 a.m. on March 10 to give teams time to get everything in order.

If there is no settlement, then 2007 would have no salary cap and create the kind of uncertainty that neither side really wants.

Revenue sharing hasn't been dealt with during the negotiations, even though Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association, has contended all along that no agreement can be reached without it.

If nothing else, the tone of the owners was far different at this meeting than March 2 in New York, when they took only 57 minutes to reject the union proposal. Later that day, they extended the deadline for free agency for three days and extended it again March 5 just as it seemed talks had broken off.

That led to this meeting and the discussion over revenue sharing, which will be necessary to meet the union's proposal for slightly under 60 percent of the league's total revenues.

Low-revenue teams such as Buffalo, Cincinnati and Indianapolis say high-revenue teams -- Dallas, Washington and Philadelphia, for instance -- should contribute proportionately to the player pool because they can earn far more in non-football income such as advertising and local radio rights. Those high-revenue teams might contribute only 10 percent of their outside money compared with 50 percent or more for low-revenue teams.

If there is no agreement, it would leave a number of free agents commanding far less than they thought they could get and a glutted market filled with veterans who could be cut to provide cap room.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9290952

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: Owners likely to vote on March 8

So no news till tomorrow, eh....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I'm sure they will have another extension.

I don't know if I could stand to watch football again if there was no salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure they will have another extension.

I don't know if I could stand to watch football again if there was no salary cap.
    No, it's over after today either way.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    No, it's over after today either way.
    That was a half-joke type of comment but I didn't know it was going to be decided today for sure. Man this isn't looking good for NFL fans and players. I wish they could just agree on something for now to insure that there will be a salary cap after this next year.

Another deadline delayed in NFL marathon labor talks

By DAVE GOLDBERG, AP Football Writer
    March 8, 2006

AP - Mar 8, 5:45 pm EST
    More Photos

GRAPEVINE, Texas (AP) -- The NFL delayed another deadline on Wednesday.

A little more than two hours before the latest deadline to accept or turn down the NFL Players Association's offer to extend the labor agreement, the owners pushed it back again. This time they extended the deadline for teams to get under the salary cap by two hours, from 9 p.m. EST until 11 p.m.
    With that, the owners kept talking as they tried to resolve the sticky issue of expanded revenue sharing that has tied them up for two years. The additional money it would generate is considered the best way the owners can accede to the union's request for just less than 60 percent of the league's total revenues.

NFL spokesman Joe Browne, in announcing the deadline change, said it was made to give additional time to reach agreement on the complicated plans on which they are working. The 8 p.m. EST deadline for informing the union whether the owners accept or reject their proposal stands, although there was some question whether the league might be switching time zones -- Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the players union was in Hawaii, where 8 p.m. would be 1 a.m EST.

The owners' marathon meeting started Tuesday and ended with labor peace nowhere in sight.

Earlier Wednesday, there was still clearly no consensus.

Jerry Jones of Dallas, the leader of the group opposing revenue sharing, said he was dismayed by developments. Indianapolis' Jim Irsay, one of the spokesmen for the low-revenue teams that want help from the richer teams suggested the league needed a consensus builder like the late Wellington Mara of the New York Giants, the last of the NFL's founding generation, who died last October.

"We need the ghost of St. Wellington to appear with some of the forefathers," Irsay said.

Despite the latest delay, free agency, twice delayed, is still scheduled to begin Thursday at 12:01 a.m. EST if owners turn down the union's offer. If they approve it, free agency will start Friday.

Meanwhile, there was as much lobbying going on as discussion.

At the lunch break, Mara's son John, along with Jerry Richardson of Carolina and Pat Bowlen of Denver met with commissioner Paul Tagliabue in an attempt to find a way to build a consensus. All three are considered "league" men, owners who will do what they think is best for the league, something Tagliabue urged during Tuesday's session.

They seemed to be aligned, somewhat surprisingly, with Oakland's Al Davis, a maverick with a long history of court fights with the league. "I love my country and I love my league," Davis said repeatedly.

Updated on Wednesday, Mar 8, 2006 6:51 pm EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Why Not Us ?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vote Deadline Delayed until 11pm(EST)

Just get a deal.......

Just get a deal.......
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

They just broke in on ESPN during the Rutgers/Seton Hall game... The owners approved the union's proposal. They said that they will have more details on Sportscenter after the game. I couldn't even find a link for this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lnjcarp
    They just broke in on ESPN during the Rutgers/Seton Hall game... The owners approved the union's proposal. They said that they will have more details on Sportscenter after the game. I couldn't even find a link for this yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index?...lid=gn_NFL_NFL

Deal Approved

After pushing back various deadlines and getting the owners together for two days in Dallas, labor peace has been reached. The owners have accepted the NFLPA's offer for a CBA extension

Updated: March 8, 2006, 8:42 PM ET
    NFL owners approve six-year CBA extension

ESPN.com news services

NFL owners have approved a six-year extension of the collective bargaining agreement by a vote of 30-2 Wednesday night.

Buffalo and Cincinnati were the two teams to vote against the proposal, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The agreement concludes weeks of contentious negotiations between the league and the NFL Players' Association. The new extension was expected to add $10 million to the 2006 salary cap, pushing it over $104 million. Without a CBA extension, the 2006 cap would have been $94.5 million.

ESPNEWS reports that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones briefly left the owners' meeting shortly before the 8 p.m. deadline the owners set to decide on the extension and told the waiting throng of reporters that owners were "getting close, getting close," but that it would take about "30 minutes" before anything was known. Jones did not offer any other details.

Earlier Wednesday, the NFL moved back the waiver deadline for teams to get below the salary cap from 9 p.m. ET Wednesday to 11 p.m. ET.

The agreement concludes weeks of contentious negotiations between the league and the NFL Players' Association. The new extension was expected to add $10 million to the 2006 salary cap, pushing it over $104 million. Without a CBA extension, the 2006 cap would have been $94.5 million.

ESPNEWS reports that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones briefly left the owners' meeting shortly before the 8 p.m. deadline the owners set to decide on the extension and told the waiting throng of reporters that owners were "getting close, getting close," but that it would take about "30 minutes" before anything was known. Jones did not offer any other details.

Earlier Wednesday, the NFL moved back the waiver deadline for teams to get below the salary cap from 9 p.m. ET Wednesday to 11 p.m. ET.

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: 6 year CBA Extension Approved !!!!!

Good. Now with a cap closer to 105 mil, maybe we can sign Edge back.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Awesome, now we are sure the first year of Lucas Oil Stadium, we will have football.

Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Why does it have to be my team that voted agaisnt it?, Damn Ralph Wilson

So how much are we under the cap now?
    Or do we even know?

There should be a 105 mill. cap now. I think the Colts are going to be able to retain Edge now. Good news for all marquee free agents.

I think we were about 9 mil over before we restructured, and we saved about that much? So maybe about 10 below? I could be wrong...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I told ya all that this would get done. This isn't baseball, the NBA, or the NHL, it's the NFL.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Colts saved 12.5 million when they restructured Peyton and Marvins contracts. They were about 10 million over the cap before then so once they did it that put them around 2 million under it. Now that we have a new CBA deal we should be around 12 million under it. If that is true then we better resign Edge.

teY dennaB toN

I would love to be able to re-sign Edge, at least now that will be an option. We also need the cap room to sign our picks in the draft.

If we are able to get a deal done with Edge, I wouldn't mind seeing Polian trade way down in the draft this year and stockpile picks next year(s), especially since this is a pretty weak draft.

I saw 102

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5393754

NFL owners approve union deal
    Story Tools:
    Print Email Blog This
    Associated Press
    Posted: 39 minutes ago

GRAPEVINE, Texas (AP) - NFL owners chose the certainty of a salary cap over the prospect of life without one, and they're paying for it.

The league agreed Wednesday to the union's proposal, including a revenue-sharing component that will cost owners nearly a billion dollars over the next six years.
    The deal will carry the NFL's 32 franchises through the 2011 season. Two low-revenue teams, Buffalo and Cincinnati, cast the only votes against.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said $850 million to $900 million in players' salary will be added over the life of the deal because of the revenue-sharing component, which the union fought for throughout the on-again, off-again talks.

Now the league's free agency period, put off twice by protracted negotiations, will start either Friday or Saturday to give teams additional time to get under the newly elevated salary cap.

The spending limit for teams will be $102 million this year, $7.5 million more than it would have been without a deal. The salary cap for the 2005-2006 season was $85.5 million.

The cap will increase to $109 million in 2007, which would have been an uncapped year that would have widened the spending gap between teams even more.

"We want teams to get additional money to re-sign players, rather than cutting them," Tagliabue said.

The deal was put together by nine teams who began on different sides of the revenue debate, including such high-revenue teams as New England and Dallas.

"We were willing to make some sacrifices to get this thing done," said Dallas owner Jerry Jones, the most vocal opponent of revenue sharing. "The proposal from the union was a mean mother."

Daniel Snyder of Washington, Jones' ally among the high-revenue teams, was more upbeat.

"It's really a win-win situation," he said.

Added Oakland's ailing Al Davis, a longtime maverick who was one of Tagliabue's leading supporters during this debate: "The whole idea was that no one was totally dissatisfied. We had to have labor peace. That's why I came all the way here. I don't make many of these trips anymore."

The agreement comes after a week of on-again, off-again negotiations, culminating in a two-day owners meeting. Tagliabue predicted it would come down to the 11th hour.

It did and perhaps went beyond: Tagliabue said an agreement was reached at 6:59 and 59 seconds CST, a second before the deadline to notify the union. League spokesman Greg Aiello originally announced the deal had taken place at 7:35 p.m. after league officials said earlier the 8 p.m. deadline didn't specify what time zone.

The union didn't seem to care.

"This agreement is not about one side winning or losing," Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association said in a statement. "Ultimately, it is about what is best for the players, the owners and the fans of the National Football League. As caretakers of the game we have acted in the manner the founders intended.

"Moving forward, this new agreement gives us the opportunity to continue our unprecedented success and growth."

The deal probably saved a lot of veteran players from being released for salary cap reasons. Even Brentson Buckner, a defensive tackle cut last week by Carolina, was upbeat.

"It's also good for the guys like me because now somebody has a little extra money and they can go after a veteran who might have gotten squeezed out in this," Buckner said. "I'm sure the veteran minimum is going to go up, so guys like me can go out and get a one-year somewhere and feel good about the situation they are going into."

The real debate was between the owners themselves on the important issue of expanded revenue sharing.

Low-income teams say high-revenue teams should contribute proportionately to the player pool because they can earn far more in nonfootball income from things such as advertising and local radio rights.

Under the new deal, the bottom 17 teams in revenue will not contribute to the pool, which will be funded with the top five teams contributing the most; the second five less; and the third five less than them.

Still, two of the lowest-revenue teams voted "no."

"I didn't understand it," said Buffalo's Ralph Wilson. "It is a very complicated issue and I didn't believe we should be rushing to vote in 45 minutes. I'm not a dropout ... or maybe I am. I didn't understand it."

That 45 minutes followed a series of daylong caucuses and finally came out of a fusion of plans that Tagliabue said was forged by nine teams.

One was proposed by the New York Jets and New England, a second by Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Then John Mara of the New York Giants, Pat Bowlen of Denver and Jerry Richardson of Carolina met with Tagliabue and put the ideas together.

Jones and Arthur Blank of Atlanta contributed a little more, and then Pittsburgh's Dan Rooney, whose brother Art helped on one of the plans, joined with Atlanta general manager Rich McKay for additional touches.

Do you resign Edge for a 3-4 year contract and draft a RB in the next 2 or 3 yrs? Looks like the only other FA we have worth keeping are Thornton, maybe Triplett, and depending on who you are Vandercrack

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Suave,

its 102 this year and then up to 109 next season

Yes, yes it is.