Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we win a Championship this year.

Default Can we win a Championship this year.

All of us here had high hopes going into the season and all of us know whats transpired since.If JO,Tins and Croshere make it back healthy and with the addition of Peja and subtracting Ron where does that put our team? Peja has turned out to be much better then I thought. He's not just a shooter he can take it to the hoop. Create his own shot when he wants too. The most surprising thing about him is his defense which doesn't equal Rons but appears to be solid.

Can we win it with everyone healthy? If you answer no. What are we missing?
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Default Re: Can we win a Championship this year.

I think we have the players needed to win the championship. But do we have the time needed to create chemistry?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    -- Albert Einstein

Pacesetter

Our chances of winning it this year are better than any year since 2000.

JMO.

if this was june and the offseason id say yes. We are a better team now, healthy than at the beginning of the year. I just doubt there is enough time for everyone to mesh and get healthy. Also, the NBA is much tougher now than ever. Especially out West.

Our chances were sky high in 03-04. I can't believe I never realized it before now. Basically, if that Sheed trade doesn't go through, I think it's safe to say we are the favorites to win the championship.

No. We may have the pieces when everyone's healthy, but we need time to develop chemistry and an identity before the playoffs to match the likes of Detroit and SA, time we don't have.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One counter-point that I find encouraging.

By the time JO and Tinsley get healthy, they'll probably be able to stay healthy throughout the playoffs this year.

So the real question is whether or not that's enough time for Peja to establish chemistry with JO and Tinsley. If it is, anything's possible, although its a tall order to get past Detroit this season.

if it is not, we'll probably keep it interesting for about a series and half, just like last year.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

No. I still think we are 1 or 2 players away, plus 1-2 years of Granger/Harrison development away.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I think an administrator needs to move this thread to the Colts forum?

Lets keep the discussion focused on the Pacers here.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I think we can make a competitive team yet, how we'll fair in four 7 game series thats the tricky part, we can beat bosten, we can beat a injured pistons team and sure be able to squeeze Miami with a dominant Harrison and then well

Suns/Spurs whos the one to beat, I think we can beat both two times but can we beat em four times.. thats the clue

I have high hopes and believe we can do some damage as and when everyone is healthy, Pacer Pride will win..

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Lithfan

I believe there is a chance to steal it.

It can be a momentum snowball thing.

Pacers don't have chemistry 60% winning
    JO Tins injured 50%
    Still injured but chemistry developed 65%
    KO Tins come back and don't ruin chemistry 75%

Pacers got into the playoffs with bulding up momentum...

So the whole question is how the team will do when JO and Tins return. Die or survive situation. If they don't ruin the chemistry and considering how well Pacers play (6th at Power Rankings) without 2 starters....

Hey, one Chauncey Billups sprained ankle and we're golden.

Anything can happen.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey, one Chauncey Billups sprained ankle and we're golden.

Anything can happen.
    True, true. Miami has looked pretty soft this year, and I'm not at all sold on NJ.

We'll have plenty of time. The 1st round may be rough, but we don't have to gel till the 2nd round or so.

Hey, even w/o JO most power rankings still have us around 6 or so. We're still in the mix.

I'm going to be more optimistic then most here are. It doesn't take near as long as some of you think to develop chemistry between the players. I don't know what kind of chances we've got until I see us in the first round of the playoffs.

Mood

I believe we can if all our players get healthy.

Barring circumstance, NO.

An injury to the Detroit starting five...YES
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Just a thought,

When Sheed was brought to Detroit it immediately made them the favorites. Integrating him into the system was rather fast paced and they haven't looked back since. With Jamaal and Jermaine you have two guys who are familiar with the clubhouse and the players. I see them meshing together a little quicker than that. You can counterpoint with when Webber came back to the Kings in the playoffs but it was obvious Webber was not 100 % at the time. I think if we can get everyone healthy and have a half dozen games left in the regular season then we will be a team that nobody wants to see come playoffs.

Unfortunately I see us more as the Kings than the Pistons. It's ridiculous how perfect Sheed fit in with the Pistons. Just ridiculous. Webber is a better analogy. We're both two good teams. We lost a star to injury. We're both coping without him. I think we'll be better with J.O. just not championship better.

Sports Logo

I think that it is possible.....but there are alot of BIG IFs in order for it to happen.

- IF we get the 6th spot to play the Nets in the 1st round....IF NOT....then the 4th spot against the Cavs in the 1st round.
    - IF everyone is 95% healthy.
    - IF the likely 10 ( to 12 man ) rotation that we will be using will have enough time to gel and build some chemistry

Those are the only IFs that the Pacers can control. And as many of you have noted....those are HUGE IFs that have to happen in order for us to make a deep playoff run.

Its like the best chance we can win an NBA championship is if the entire Pacer Universe is perfect.....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'm still holding out for a Spurs-Pacers finals...
    :thepacers

If Tins and JO can get 10-15 games in the new offense and with Peja, maybe. It will be tough but who knows.

You guys have a good team when everybody is healthy but to go all the way You have to win many games on the road and I don't see it happening. Saying that - couple key injuries to the opponents and anything possible
    Vulpes pilum mutat, non mores!

I think it's highly doubtful we could get through both the Pistons and/or Spurs/Mavericks to win it all. It would take an extraordinary amount of luck.

We basically have no chance to win the championship this year. Keep in mind probably only 4 teams have a real chance of winning it all this season. That is just the way the NBA is

Sports Logo

Okay....this sort of gets back to the "when do we want to play Detroit" question.

No matter what.....if the Playoff plays out like expected.......the road to the champtionship both goes through the Pistons and the Heat.

With that being said....what round do we want to play the Heat and the Pistons?

The easier route would be to get the 6th seed...and therefore playing the Nets....who we match up better with.....then hopefully make it past them to meet the Heat....a team that we have traditionally played well against....which of course would lead down the path to a NBA Conference finals meeting against the Pistons.

But I am inclined to believe that the best chance that we have to beat the Pistons is when we are as healthy as possible.......which I think will be at the start of the playoffs....instead of later in the playoffs where there is a greater chance for potential injury.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I am of the opinion that if JO and Tins get healthy and we can have those 2 for at least 15 games (pre-playoffs) we can develop enough chemistry that JO / Peja can be an excellent 1-2 punch. They won't be able to play off Peja and double team. Ron always wanted to post up alot and while good at it we didn't need 2 guys with the same ideas at the offensive end of the floor. Jackson didn't get to shoot alot in this scenario and may have been his problem. Another important point is Ron was nutz and Pejas not and that could have alot to do with us advancing. Who knows what the locker room was like after a loss and Ron had a bad game. I like our chances... but until JO (the key) comes back and we see how he meshes with Peja Jax Foster AJ we won't know. Tinsley could make us an even better team if keeps his head in the game.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)