Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Walton

Default Bill Walton

Man I almost couldn't stand to listen to the game yesterday because of Bill. I mean this guy showed his hatred towards the pacers all game long. I know that he used to come and help our centers and stuff, but I dont think the guy had one good thing to say about the team the whole game. I mean he was all over AI the first half when he was doing nothing, I just cant stand to listen to him commentate a game. Does anybody like him?
    "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones."

-Herb Brooks

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bill Walton

I do.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Bill Walton always grates on my nerves. Whether he's doing a Pacers game or not. He makes outlandish claims like Kwame Brown is the best post player the Lakers have ever had, then Snapper asks him what about Shaq or Kareem or even Rambis. His dentures freak me out. We get it, you were a hippie. Unfortunately, He does exactly what they want. Here we are still talking about him.

In fact...

I'd blame Musberger much more for not only 'letting it' get out of control yesterday, but in fact encouraging it and starting his own tangents.

Bill does need a strong play-by-play man to keep him focused. Tom Hammond at NBC was perfect for Bill.

But I've also thought Musberger sucked since he was the voice of CBS' NBA coverage in the 1980s.

I can't stand to listen to him, it really ruins the game broadcast when he does it. Not sure why ABC doesn't realize this though, even if we are still talking about him, it is negative talk.

People love to hate him...which makes him matter. There is no such thing a bad publicity, just publicity.

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

I think hes hilarious.
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sports Logo

Ever since his comments in last year's playoffs saying that he would much rather take Sheed as a PF over JONeal ( whether in actuality he is the better player or not )...and because of a sense of homerism ( and my hate and respect for Sheed ).....I've lost all respect for the man.

He has a tendency to go with the easy team or player to root for....like his love for the Pistons, the Spurs or ( in yesterday's case ) his harping of AI being left out of the Olympics...while downplaying what other capable teams can do. To him.....either you are Suck his book...or you don't....the Basketball world is black and white to him....nothing inbetween.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Can't stand Bill's mouth during the game like many here. ABC needs to keep him in the studio instead courtside. He's getting worse it seems and trying to compete with Barkley on the crazy meter. I like CB however.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People love to hate him...which makes him matter. There is no such thing a bad publicity, just publicity.

I hate that saying.....

When movie critics give bad reports on movies, that doesn't send more people out to see that movie. It keeps them away from it. Which is exactly the opposite the movie producers want.

If you want to watch the game, you're either going to sit through his dumb comments or turn down the volume.

ABC wins because it has the rights to show the game, not because people tune into hear Bill. They could have a monkey doing the commentary, and people would still watch.

I can't say I've ever heard someone talk about how they watched a game just to listen to who's calling it, but I have heard people talk about how they've turned down the volume, sat through it grinding their teeth, or just listened to it on the radio when they don't like who the announcers are.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

One other thing....is it any surprise ABC and ESPN are part of the same company?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

sweabs

There are very few people I actually feel compelled to "mute", but Bill Walton can be one of them. I say "can", because as Jay pointed out, he is not entirely awful when he has someone alongside of him to keep things on track. However, most of the time I intermittently mute him, or just keep it on low volume for the entire game.

Who else gets the mute button? Bill Laimbeer and Jack Ramsay. I don't even give Jack a chance anymore...it's mute for him right from the start (although, I don't think I've heard him call a game this year...knock on wood).

I like him, he doesn't take himself too seriously which is something way too many announcers do. It's just a game and he realizes that. And he undoubtedly has a passion for it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    One other thing....is it any surprise ABC and ESPN are part of the same company?
    No, but it is a surprise that Disney is their parent company.

ESPN is so "hip-hop" it's just weird that Disney, of all companies, ultimately has the final say in what happens.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

on NBATV, they did a magic vs rockets game without any tv commentary...they called it something special, but i forgot it...

...but it was the greatest broadcast ive watched in awhile

Banned

I enjoy listening to Walton. He doesn't take himself, or life, too seriously.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson
    I enjoy listening to Walton. He doesn't take himself, or life, too seriously.
    Actually, I will agree with you. I can't believe that so many of you let Bill Walton get you that upset. It's just an act!

Then again...some of you believe that the announcers have a rooting interest.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I guess I rate announcers sometimes based on the "who would I enjoy sitting next to at a game" criteria.

I'd enjoy Walton. Of course, I'd also have the gumption to call "bull****" if he gets on one of his hyperbole-laden tangents.

After sitting through Tom Heinsohn again the other night, I'm pretty sure I'd just want to punch him by about the middle of the first quarter.

I hate Walton. He doesn't commentate, he just talks up whatever allstar is playing the game. If it happens to be AI then there might as well not be any other players on the court just 'How can you leave a player who can give you 40 and 10 out of Team USA' over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire
    I hate Walton. He doesn't commentate, he just talks up whatever allstar is playing the game. If it happens to be AI then there might as well not be any other players on the court just 'How can you leave a player who can give you 40 and 10 out of Team USA' over and over again.

EXACTLY!!!!!! I hate that! I don't remember if it was Pacers/Spurs or Spurs/Suns I was watching, but he kept drooling over Tony Parker, '...With Tim Duncan not stepping up this year, Parker has become a fabulous leader......blah blah overwhelimingly deserving All-Star.......blah blah best point guard in the league, scoring machine.......not impressed with Bruce Bowen at all........blah blah..' It was the most annoying thing in the world!!!!!!

THEN!!!!!!!!..............

Parker threw the ball away and he spent five minutes bashing him and moved on to Manu.

I do like it though when he says something so stupid, like the rule change, and the other guys are like, "Uh, Bill..." I like Bill Walton the player, I was impressed actually with Bill Walton the player, but Walton the announcer is TOO much.

Give me Charles,Kenny, and Ernie anyday.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

I find Bill Walton unbelievably obnoxious. He grates on my nerves also. I can't stand watching the Pacers games on TNT, ABC, or ESPN because of the announcers, but Bill Walton holds a special place in my heart for king of the obnoxious people. He has his special teams/players that he loves and he just goes on and on and on (and on) about the wonder that is that team/player. I was shocked yesterday when he actually had something good to say about Freddie and David. I tried to ignore the announcers for most of the game especially Bill.

I usually watch the games on a bit of a delay with my PVR, but if the games are going to be on the non-Pacers network I have to watch the games in real time so that I can listen to the radio with the broadcast. Unfortunately, yesterday I watched the game in the evening, so I was subjected the torture of listening to Bill Walton.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I listened to Walton for about 15 minutes of game time before I completely lost it, turned down the TV and streamed Mark and Slick over the internet. All he talked about all game was Iverson. I paid attention and he did not say ONE - not one single, little positive thing about the Pacers. It's like the team didn't exist and we were winning on the road.

I used to kind of like his delvery. But - his inability to comment on the game that is actually being played is getting worse, not better.

He sucks.

You guys crack me up.

It wasn't that long ago that - because of their UCLA connection - that Reggie Miller was one of Walton's favorite players and a guy he'd go on-and-on complimenting.

My all-time favorite Waltonism, from a long time ago. Reggie traveled during a game at MSA. Walton, without missing a beat, "Rarely do you see a player from UCLA make that kind of mental mistake."

Bill Walton was at his best doing Clippers games. He was very entertaining.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well from what i read i guess its not as bad that i didnt see the game. I cant stand Bill Walton. He doesnt seem to be thinking before he speaks or something. He is extremely biased too. I cant stand it.