Thread: How GOOD is O'Neal???

Default How GOOD is O'Neal???

Last night Ben Wallace shuts tim duncan up

Tonight Jermaine does whatever he wants with ben

Jermaine also battled with duncan twice (and won both IMO)

28 doub-doubs

he never scores 30+...just always scores right around 20 every night

always pulls in the boards

I mean...WOW... and to think he is getting better (See: his outside shot, passing, Defense)

Default Re: How GOOD is O'Neal???

He's very good to say the least.

But it's interesting to read the quotes from the opposition following the games on Pacers.com.

Basically they all say this in a nutshell, "Those guys came out, played aggressive, were very physical and basically controlled the tempo".

Granted that 's not a quote but it's basically the same for everyone we play. I have found that extremely interesting this season.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

^^^^Perhaps that is why we perform very well in back to back games

we set such a high standard of play
    that instead of having a let down..we play good enough to keep in the game

Jermaine O'Neal is extremely good. He is the best overall player in the eastern conference. Not just the best big man.

His talent level is off the charts and he wants it, he wants it bad.

The one play tonight, it was on a semi-fastbreak against Ben Wallace and J.O hit a little running 8 foot shot, he made it look so easy, but it was a damn tough shot.

J.O makes very difficult things look easy. Pacers fans take him for granted

The one play tonight, it was on a semi-fastbreak against Ben Wallace and J.O hit a little running 8 foot shot, he made it look so easy, but it was a damn tough shot.

Hell yeah it was...

I am 6' 0" and it is tough for me to hit

O'neal is 7'0" and going against the best shot blocker in the NBA

His talent level is off the charts and he wants it, he wants it bad.
    Yes he does...I member him saying "Some players play for the money...I play this game to win a championship"

He also cried when he got his big contract which means that this game, team and city mean alot to him

Southside_Pacer

Yeah, I do agree that we take JO for granted quite a bit.

JO goes for over 20/10 each night and he does it so often it's normal for us to see it. He's a force on BOTH ends of the court and is a very complete player. We're so lucky to have him.

He's also a great all around person case in point with his work in the community.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He also cried when he got his big contract which means that this game, team and city mean alot to him
    Actually, the $100+ million and Isiah Thomas is what meant a lot to him....if Thomas was let go BEFORE JO signed his deal, he'd probably be in SA right now. But, that was JO's fault for being childish enough to believe what he was being fed at the time.

Just putting things in perspective.

Big props for Oneal, he's the best player in the East, hands down.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Actually, the $100+ million and Isiah Thomas is what meant a lot to him....if Thomas was let go BEFORE JO signed his deal, he'd probably be in SA right now. But, that was JO's fault for being childish enough to believe what he was being fed at the time.
    Kstat...when the dust settled and a reporter asked him if he would have resigned if IT was fired earlier he said "Yes...this city and team mean so much to me....."

Just putting things in perspective

Kstat...when the dust settled and a reporter asked him if he would have resigned if IT was fired earlier he said "Yes...this city and team mean so much to me....."

...meanwhile when he went on to the NATIONAL media show (ESPN, TNT, I forgot), he said he would NOT be playing in Indiana if he knew Zeke wasn't going to stay there.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

ROCislandWarrior wrote:
    Quote:

...meanwhile when he went on to the NATIONAL media show (ESPN, TNT, I forgot), he said he would NOT be playing in Indiana if he knew Zeke wasn't going to stay there.
    Yes Kstat...I heard him say it several times early in the season

but the last time they asked him this he said what I told you... "After the dust settled"

besides O'neal has ALWAYS said how much he owes Indiana because they gave him a chance

Well, I think its more that he doesnt want to bee seen as a baby on a #1 team so he's playing the good son.....weather he's being truthful is irrelevant anyway, this point is at the TIME of his signing, what mattered to JO was Zeke and the money. It was a very smart buisness decision to con him into it, I have no problem with that. But its a little idealistic to think if JO could, he wouldnt be on the first plane to NY to play for the Knicks.

But its a little idealistic to think if JO couldnt, he wouldnt be on the first plane to NY to play for the Knicks.
    Never said that...but it would be pretty ignorant to say that the city of indianapolis and this team don't mean alot to him

You think JO would just get on a plane and go to NY... some people do have feelings and that might be a little hard

The comment about Jermaine getting pretty much the same thing every night is really interesting to me.

I don't believe the guy has ever had a 40-point game in his life. Which means that Harrington has scored more points in one game than Jermaine O'Neal.

Even in the playoffs last year, when Dick Harter put a D together especially for JO, he still averaged 20/20.

But it's odd, isn't it, that he's never had a really high-scoring game? It's just a consistent 20-25 points a night.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

But it's odd, isn't it, that he's never had a really high-scoring game? It's just a consistent 20-25 points a night.
    Yeah....some nights it looks like he is going to get that 40 point game...but the he just ends up with 20 some.

But I think that is a testament to his consistancy...If they would rank players by the Standard Deviation of their scores...I wonder how high JO would be

If Minnesota does NOT win their division, I think JO should get serious MVP consideration.

why Minnesota?

Because Keving Garnett is the best player in the NBA, and he should be the MVP if he also leads his team to first place.

If not, JO ought to be there with Duncan and Peja for MVP voting.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

If JO leads his team to the Finals...and Garnett and Duncan do not

JO will have a much stronger case

If JO leads his team to the Finals...and Garnett and Duncan do not

JO will have a much stronger case
    The MVP voting is done before the playoffs, though the results are announced later.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

The MVP voting is done before the playoffs, though the results are announced later.
    That is unfortunate...

Maybe next year

He's alright.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That is unfortunate...

Maybe next year
    Fellas, fellas... the most important award JO could win this year, and the one he probably has his eyes on, is the NBA Finals MVP. Sho nuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

7-Layer Burrito

O'Neal is good enough now, that I take his game for granted. Every time he takes the court, I chalk up 20 and 10 for the Pacers. I think Buck mentioned that 8 foot runner he made look effortless last night. Every time I see him make one of those plays, I have to remind myself that he is 7 feet tall, just to keep things in perspective.

I have to remind myself that he is 7 feet tall
    and he was going against Ben Wallace!!!

Jermaine's actions told us he doesn't care who's guarding him...he is going to score...I LOVE that attitude

JO is good enough that most teams would love to build a franchise around him.

JO is good enough that most teams would love to build a franchise around him.
    JO IS REALLY, REALLY GOOD!

My bro tried to tell me today that Orlando would not trade Tmac for JO