Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does this coach want? (regarding Jasikevicius)

3ballinhoop

Default What does this coach want? (regarding Jasikevicius)

Two days ago, a Pacers team hurt by injuries visited Washington and walked away with a great victory. The only pointguard on the team, Jasikevicius, was awarded with the game MVP award for his outstanding play including some awsome passes and an extremely good statline. He stepped it up and showed how good he is when getting the chance to play, to start. Of course he didn't start because this coach wanted to give him a chance; Carlisle does not give Jasikevicius any chances, but tries to keep him down and small. He started because the two other guards where both not available. However, in such a bad environment for a player, he played extremely well. The whole season Jasikevicius has been put down by the coach, Carlisle. Every mistake by Jasikevicius results in a timeout and often a substitution. Other players on the team make mistakes that are lots worse or a lot more frequent without this reaction by the coach. When Johnson played terribly, he still always got the coach's trust and was sooner or later able to show confidence and play solid again.
    Jasikevicius is not given any credit by this coach, no trust, and no chance to grow.

Today this peaked. After the great game two days ago, the reward are 12 minutes behind a Johnson who shoots 2/9, terrible. What is the coach trying to do, what is he communicating to Sarunas and to the rest of the team? Of course he can not be the teamleader that he really is when the coach denies him every possibility to take over, and does this after he used his chance in such a good way. A trade feels more and more probable. It's a trade I am hoping for. This is not what this player deserves. A player who has owned american national team with Kidd, Iverson at Olympic games, at World championships. A player that won 3 straight Euroleague titles, and was heavily hunted by several NBA teams at the age of 28 after playing his career in Europe.
    This coach does not seek Sarunas qualities as a teamleader, as a winner that he has proven. He puts him down, tries to make him a small player that shoots 2 threepointers per game. Jasikevicius is not a shooter, but a playmaker. His shot is just something he does pretty good.
    Lots of teams are going to like a Jasikevicius trade. I really doubt the Pacers management would do that, but it is clear Jasikevicius gets treaten in an extremely bad way and denied the possibility to play the game his way. It is enough now, no more disrespect, no more scandalous coaching. Free Jasikevicius.

Default Re: What does this coach want? (regarding Jasikevicius)

I didn't think either of our PGs looked particularly effective tonight. AJ did manage 7 assists, but was not a good game for him. As has been mentioned, the Celtics, and West in particular, excel in ball pressure on the G spots. While I don't think he should be thrust back into the starting line up on his return unless AJ's play levels off on a consistent basis, it find myself wondering if Tinsley wouldn't have been more successful against the type of pressure exerted tonight. I thought Saras noticeably labored getting the ball up the court and, in fact, got stuck with an 8 second violation. He did have his usual group of deft set-up passes, but not as often as the Washington game.

3ballinhoop

Jasikevicius does not necessarily, except for his great passing ability, have the extreme skills to make his team great. He has his heart and his leadership. These features don't interest Carlisle apparently, as he does everything to outplay them.
    The big heart should have been lost a long time ago, but when getting 12 minutes after such a good game, I would expect it to not take a long time before it has become considerably smaller. Indiana will never see a teamleading Jasikevicius because Carlisle tries to destroy him.

I thought Saras was horrible tonight. I don't have a problem when Saras gets beat by a quicker player. But when he does not follow the defensive game plan, when he is 20 feet from West. When he does not guard the pick and roll as the coaches want, like when he went under the screen and gave West a wide open three pointer in the 4th quarter. When those type of things happen, you have to take him out. It is that simple.

The coaches want Saras to follow the game plan and defend as he is instructed. Too many times this season, he does not follow the gameplan on the defensive end. Coaches hate that and his teammates hate that, because it makes them look bad, plus his teammates will start being a little selfish on the defensive end, "if Saras is not following the gameplan, why should I" That type of thing

Quote Originally Posted by 3ballinhoop
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    was awarded with the game MVP award.
    Huh? Cabbage played a very good game, but if there were such a thing, I'd think it would go to Hulk, unless you're one of those who thinks he's nothing more than a puppet with Cabbage's hand controlling everything.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

3ballinhoop

I watched the game on Comcast network and there was an mvp award, possibly by the channel itself, given to Jasikevicius.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

AJ = safe, good player, who won't ever lead us to greatness.

Runi = risky, still developing player who has the potential to lead us to greatness.

Rick's safe, risk-averse profile goes with AJ. Too bad, IMO.

I think there is TOO MUCH Sarunas worship going on with some posters on this board. He is a good player but NOT a great player.

Well, if he is not great player lets trade him to Utah for Palacio or Mcleod. Fair enough??? heck we can throw in Collins or some 2 round pick for it

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    I think there is TOO MUCH Sarunas worship going on with some posters on this board. He is a good player but NOT a great player.
    Really?! Nawww, you're just making that up.

Seriously, there's a reason why some of us started calling him The Second Coming in August. But then he was christened Cabbage, and all was right with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Calgary Jazz
    Well, if he is not great player lets trade him to Utah for Palacio or Mcleod. Fair enough??? heck we can throw in Collins or some 2 round pick for it
    Sloan would have him come off the bench too.He gets abused defensively sometimes and has trouble with when pressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Calgary Jazz
    Sadly, the deadline has passed. I was already to trade him for LBJ, but then it was pointed out to me that next year's salaries don't match.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Really?! Nawww, you're just making that up.

Seriously, there's a reason why some of us started calling him The Second Coming in August. But then he was christened Cabbage, and all was right with the world.
    Actually I have noticed it for sometime but it is finally starting to get annoying.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I tend to agree with the comments that Saras is held down. He's not allowed nearly the mistakes that AJ is allowed.

I don't think Saras is the second coming, but I do think he could provide the spark we need to get to the next level. I don't think AJ or Tins can.

3ballinhoop

Please talk about Jasikevicius situation in this team, which is terrible and not appropriate, instead of writing totally useless oneliners about a trade with Lebron. Your attempt to kill a serious discussion on Saras isn't funny at all.

Yeah, maybe Sarunas would play behind Deron Williams in Utah, but he would be an important player with the coach's confidence and positive input encouraging him. These Pacers do not deserve Jasikevicius, they should trade him!
    Let's face it. When Saras once got a real chance, he played really, really well. But Carlisle doesn't like Jasikevicius, most certainly not over Johnson, who is his favourite guy, a guy that he has given so many chances ( i agree that he has been playing well as a starter, WITH all Carlisles backup and confidence, after he sucked tons of games). So when Carlisle is forced to once give Saras a chance to show what he can do, and Saras succeeds, he has a problem. Soon Tinsley will come back, and then he has to somehow explain to the owners, to the Indiana fans, to Larry Bird, that he wants to use that Lithuanian guy (who isn't a newbie european rookie like many of his "haters" here would like to believe, but a big sportsstar married to a Miss World who has had huge success, and deserves some respect) as a 3rd string point guard and maybe some minutes at backup shooting guard.
    But how does that work with a guy that plays like Saras did when he once started (better than ANY game Johnson has played this season, despite all the starts he has had)? Well, you have to get him down again; simply don't let him play the next game, let him warm the bench, even if the guy who missed the last match isn't exactly playing great.

I'm really curious how this will turn out. Either Jasikevicius will be traded in the summer, the Pacers will have a different coach, or as 3rd option and most unlikely, Carlisle will start to like Jasikevicius.

In case a trade is discussed later, I can guarantee you that there are many GMs in this league who see what Jasikevicius could bring to their team and would love to trade for him.

These Pacers do not deserve Jasikevicius, they should trade him!
    These are the comments which I as a Pacer fan have to shake my head at. Perhaps we should have a Jasikevicius Digest subforum where Saras fans can talk about the basketball hell that Saras has fallen into.

As far as I have seen Saras is a good back up PG. There's no shame in that.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Please talk about Jasikevicius situation in this team, which is terrible and not appropriate, instead of writing totally useless oneliners about a trade with Lebron. Your attempt to kill a serious discussion on Saras isn't funny at all.

Yeah, maybe Sarunas would play behind Deron Williams in Utah, but he would be an important player with the coach's confidence and positive input encouraging him. These Pacers do not deserve Jasikevicius, they should trade him!
    Let's face it. When Saras once got a real chance, he played really, really well. But Carlisle doesn't like Jasikevicius, most certainly not over Johnson, who is his favourite guy, a guy that he has given so many chances ( i agree that he has been playing well as a starter, WITH all Carlisles backup and confidence, after he sucked tons of games). So when Carlisle is forced to once give Saras a chance to show what he can do, and Saras succeeds, he has a problem. Soon Tinsley will come back, and then he has to somehow explain to the owners, to the Indiana fans, to Larry Bird, that he wants to use that Lithuanian guy (who isn't a newbie european rookie like many of his "haters" here would like to believe, but a big sportsstar married to a Miss World who has had huge success, and deserves some respect) as a 3rd string point guard and maybe some minutes at backup shooting guard.
    But how does that work with a guy that plays like Saras did when he once started (better than ANY game Johnson has played this season, despite all the starts he has had)? Well, you have to get him down again; simply don't let him play the next game, let him warm the bench, even if the guy who missed the last match isn't exactly playing great.

I'm really curious how this will turn out. Either Jasikevicius will be traded in the summer, the Pacers will have a different coach, or as 3rd option and most unlikely, Carlisle will start to like Jasikevicius.

In case a trade is discussed later, I can guarantee you that there are many GMs in this league who see what Jasikevicius could bring to their team and would love to trade for him.
    I will literally mail you ten dollars if you aren't a fan of Euroleague. The only people who think Sarunas is an upper-tier PG in the NBA are his European fans. In this league, he's a solid backup PG, and also a rookie. He's prone to bad passes (worse than Tinsley, and that's saying something), he's a below average ballhandler, and he often gets beat on defense. He's probably the best shooter of our PGs, but he's also the most streaky.

In a season or two, he might be a starting-quality PG, once he becomes more adjusted to the speed of the NBA, but right now, he's an above average PG on a team full of above average or better PGs. Overall, for the long haul, is he a better PG than Anthony Johnson? Maybe. But given that AJ has had some flat out excellent games, and Sarunas is in the middle of another shooting slump, why should he get more PT?

You're as bad as most Pacers fans for taking one game and making a season out of it. And you don't even have the benefit of Sarunas having an amazing game in 12 minutes. In fact, on a per minute basis tonight, Sarunas would have scored the same number of points on the same percentage, roughly. In exchange, he would have had half as many assists and twice as many turnovers. How is he the easy choice to start again?

woman without a team

Unless you're Jerry Sloan how could you possibly know that?

More likely: We'll trade both AJ and Tinsley for a solid starter that can stay healthy, and Saras will be the backup.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    More likely: We'll trade both AJ and Tinsley for a solid starter that can stay healthy, and Saras will be the backup.
    And how do you know anyone will stay healthy? It used to be all Marcus Camby had to do was step onto the court at Conseco and get injured.

Kestas

It is enough now, no more disrespect, no more scandalous coaching. Free Jasikevicius.
    and which team is supposed to treat him better? all I can come up with is Maccabi, Barcelona or Panathinaikos
    I mean, this is NBA, he's a rookie. NBA and NCAA is known for rookie shananigans. that is sick, but widely accepted as a norm.. he would not be starting anywhere yet imho. unless he would land in some loosers team, which is not an option. on the other hand, even that would not be assured, as Macas example clearly shows. the guy plays with the loosers, yet still is having a payed holliday (with Hornets training sessions it's a joke of a life) instead of hard work for his team. so any Saras fan should be glad for what he's having right now. if he will feel the need to move on because one thing or the other, he will voice his oppinion, no doubt about that. however, I'm 99% sure Pacers would not trade him to anyone for anything (at least this summer) unless he would act like Artest or even harder, which is not very feasable imho.

18to88

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    AGREED

Lithfan

I watched the game on Comcast network and there was an mvp award, possibly by the channel itself, given to Jasikevicius.
    HEY!!!

What is Comcast network?

Is it on the internet? By the way if someone has NBA league pass.... a trusted ally will be happy to get some shares

Now to the serious issues:

Clearly I have to react here.fficeffice" />>>
    >>
    3ballinhoop - I felt exactly the same in many cases.>>
    However there is truth in UB, Eindar and Kestas words too.>>
    The thing is that highly respected Hoosiers on the most part really can't treat Saras the same as we. They didn't see his glamour. May be only in the previous game. >>
    >>
    What do the Hoosiers see (Do I need a the here?)?>>
    Some rookie that doesn't defend, cant bring the ball upcort with many annoying european fans coming after him, considering him second coming while he is only yes-a-cabbage-juice. (essence of the posts above)>>
    >>
    But believe us, we saw his magic. And not because his excellent dribbling or D. He sucked at both already in Europe, as I told you before. Hell, he didn't dribble at all in Maccabi and all team deffense scheme was built especially to cover his ***. In those surroundings he was great! >>
    >>
    You know what, now, when I'm thinking about it, may be it was his previous coach genius. May be its too hard for ffice:smarttags" />lace>Carlislelace> to design a role player scheme. But the thing is - lace>Detroitlace>, assembled from the role players is going for the next title. And that’s because each player is doing what he is best at. Saras is a kind of a role-player that was not seen in the NBA yet. [IMO, you tend to call role players only three type of players - shooters (Reggie), defensive experts (Ben Wallace) and rebounding experts (Rodman).]>>
    >>
    Sarunas brings 3 other expertise, by the descending importance:>>
    1. Passing and game vision on the highest imaginable level.>>
    2. Leadeship and passion. >>
    3. Solid shooting.>>
    And of course two major flaws:>>
    1. Poor dribling.>>
    2. Poor D.>>
    And that’s it. If Bird has done scouting he should have known this, every bball fan in lace>europelace> in particularly in lace>Israellace> is aware of upper 5 points. >>
    >>
    I believe that LB is smart and i want to believe that coach listens to him. If so, there are only two options:>>
    1. Its hard to design such a scheme for Saras in the NBA.>>
    2. Nobody wants to design anything for a rookie.>>
    And somehow I feel the second option is more viable.>>
    >>
    So to conclude this:>>
    Saras is a role player, a great one though. The greatness comes with weaknesses that should be hided by the coach. For some reason they are not and this limits his playing time and impact.>>
    >>
    I also would like to ask all the respected Hoosiers not to tell us again and again that Saras sucked at D, have trouble bring a ball upcourt etc... I would be astonished if he wouldn’t.

Banned

Just a hunch, but I'd say Rick's problem with him isn't that complicated. In fact, I think it comes down to a relatively simple basketball ideal.

He's not good enough to start.

Neither is AJ, but at least AJ doesn't HURT the team half of the time, like Sarass does.

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan
    fficeffice" />>>
    I believe that LB is smart and i want to believe that coach listens to him. If so, there are only two options:>>
    1. Its hard to design such a scheme for Saras in the NBA.>>
    2. Nobody wants to design anything for a rookie.>>
    And somehow I feel the second option is more viable.>>
    >>
    you forgot the importance of the general style of play. however you look at this, Saras wants more ball movement by the team imho. he wants the ball to come back to his hands often on offense. the team has to play team ball in order for Saras to help them as he really can. this is not something you could "design" overnight. some players do not understand (and hardly ever will) the game that Saras considers the right one. otherwise he's just a lousy shooter or god knows who (see the all-star rookie-sophs game). it's obvious that teamplay is the way to go for NBA, so hopefully in the future Pacers will be using even more ball movement. right now they are just learning to use such things (as well as some zone deffense). some teams are not using teamplay at all. however strange it sounds, NBA still has things to learn as recent international competitions clearly showed (and I'm sure next autumn NBA Europe Live! will show as well).

however, yeah, rookie status does not help Saras one bit. not only he's a rookie, but also European. obviously, upcoming seasons should be different, but we'll see.. I'm happy with his performance, but I would be more happy if Pacers would be wining more with or without his help.