Thread: OT - Looking for some help

Default OT - Looking for some help

Hicks - you can move this but I thought I would get the most response here.

Hey guys. I'm here for a week to close out my apartment and settle something here before heading back. Might be a little longer if things keep getting worse in Baghdad.

Does anyone know anything about slingbox? From what I have read it sounds like it would be great for me over there. Here is the idea:

I would like to find someone in Indy who has cable, high speed internet, semi-computer saavy (meaning they would understand how to hook this up), has paypal and would be willing to share their cable and cable costs with me. I could either get slingbox on ebay and have it sent to you or you could get it and I could reimburse you. If you needed to get slinglinks, I would have no problem with that. I do have access to satellite there so connection from my end wouldn't be a problem. The only stumbling block I could see would be getting the software to download on my laptop. It would have to be sent to me. I don't think it would have to be installed at the time you hook it up but I could be wrong. If anyone knows anything about this could you let me know.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Default Re: OT - Looking for some help

nobody?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I have no idea what it entails, but I will check it out....

Not promising anything by a long shot, but it sounds interesting...

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

It looks like the main stumbling block is that you would have to watch what I'm watching, or you could control my tv from there!

Not sure what the time difference is, but that seems a little intrusive...Seems like it is for people who have an empty house back home and are away from there....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry ABA, I have no clue what you're talking about.

It's good to hear from you, btw. Any chance of making that forum party?

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It looks like the main stumbling block is that you would have to watch what I'm watching, or you could control my tv from there!

Not sure what the time difference is, but that seems a little intrusive...Seems like it is for people who have an empty house back home and are away from there....
    No - you use a splitter. One to your tv and the other to the slingbox. That way there is no conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Sorry ABA, I have no clue what you're talking about.

It's good to hear from you, btw. Any chance of making that forum party?
    I doubt it. But who knows. There is a moratorium on our civilian travel in and out of Baghdad right now because of the escalation in the violence. But I doubt it lasts very long.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    I doubt it. But who knows. There is a moratorium on our civilian travel in and out of Baghdad right now because of the escalation in the violence. But I doubt it lasts very long.
    Well, good luck either way.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    No - you use a splitter. One to your tv and the other to the slingbox. That way there is no conflict.
    Well, I have DirecTV and have the sports pack, so I get all 82 Pacers games...I have no premium channels, only Total Choice Plus....

If you are buying the hardware and such, I can't say I would necessarily be opposed to it...Kinda my little thing to help the morale for all you fine men over there!

I have a coupla VERY tech savvy friends that would help make up for any shortcomings on my end.....PM me if you want to talk more about it!