Thread: I LOVE hearing this!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default I LOVE hearing this!

From todays Indy Star:

"We've got to find a way to get a mental edge or whatever and come in here and beat this team," said Corliss Williamson, who led the Pistons with 17 points off the bench and admitted that losing to the Pacers was much worse than watching a win-streak end.

"I'd rather beat them any day of the week than continue some streak," he said. "This is painful enough, just losing to the Pacers."

+++++++

The last paragraph...HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!!!!!!
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: I LOVE hearing this!

Last year I remember a close game between us and the pistons in which the pistons took the game over in the final minutes.

There announcer said "The Pacers are not ready for this!!!!"

and it was true. But this year the same can be said for the Pistons

[size=18:13690549a1]"The Pistons are not ready for this"[/size]

So true, last years team was simply not as tough mentally or physically as the Pistons.

So true, last years team was simply not as tough mentally or physically as the Pistons.
    So what caused the turnaround?

Don't say Carlisle cause I won't buy that. I give him full credit for implementing a system & I give him full credit for causing a more physical style of defense.

But the players eventually have to play.

Was it because last season left such a bad taste in their mouth?

Does the phrase "that which does not kill us makes us stronger" really ring true here?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Don't say Carlisle cause I won't buy that. I give him full credit for implementing a system & I give him full credit for causing a more physical style of defense.

Does the phrase "that which does not kill us makes us stronger" really ring true here?

OK, if I can't say coaching. I'll say they are mentally tougher because of last season and the disappointment and also the key players are all a year older. But I really want to say the coaching

Don't get me wrong guys. I do beleive that coaching is differant & I do beleive that it has a lot to do with it.

But I think more importantly is the fact that the team was embarassed last season in the playoffs & they definately heard the wispers over the summer questioning if they were ever really that good.

Let's say this then.

1. Differant frame of mind from the players.

2. Coaching.

3. Year of experiance.

Fair enough?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I may be off track here, but I believe a good part of the difference shown by the Pacers this year is because of Larry Birds no nonsense attitude. After taking over control of the team this year, Larry stated if someone was not happy playing here he would find a place where they would be happy. That kind of talk from the GM sent a statement to the players that was unmistakable in its intent. Grow up or else. After a little testing period the players have responded well to this way of thinking.

The players learned quickly the pecking order is the Simons, Bird(Walsh), Carlisle, (Reggie ) and then all the rest.

I really love the way the players have responded to this. They are playing like a team on a mission and I, for one, am enjoying this year greatly.

Only one team comes out of the West in the playoffs and I think the Pacers can win 4 of 7 against any of them this year. Including LA.

It will be disappointing to me if we don't win it all this year.

GO PACERS

Sports Logo

The thing thats getting lost in all this is how mature the Pistons are to know that loosing to the Pacers was far worse than letting the streak end.

They knew it was more important to beat your top rival than anything else. If they cant get through the Pacers they are just not going to the finals and the player know this.

The Pistons are not there right now but they will be. They will be better next year and the year after that and so on. We better be ready for them in years to come. Of course I think we will be too but now I know we will have company.

Here's my 2 cents.

1. Coaching-Carlisle is doing a fantastic job-he calls timely timeouts and is getting a playing rotation that all the players are getting comfortable with and he's consistent with his rules for each player. Each player knows where he stands.

2. Management-Bird coming out saying that if someone doesn't want to be here, they'll grant him his wish but only if they get equal or greater value from him. You know these guys know not to **** Bird off. Walsh is/was a great manager but when Bird speaks, people listen. Walsh doesn't have that air about him as Bird does.

3. Players-They don't want last year to happen again. Each player is saying the right things and they learned from last year. This team seems, so far, to have a killer instinct that was lacking last year. If they see blood, they go for the kill. A pleasing change.

4. Opposition-They are getting physically outplayed on a nightly basis. They get frustrated and most teams aren't strong enough mentally to be able to handle this. Guess this goes to the players.

5. Pacers Digest Forum. There was no Pacers digest forum last year. 'It's gotta be the shoes'

Just my 2 cents worth. Keep the change.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

If pushed i would say coaching but two other reasons could be--

In the Piston/Pacer series I think some of our advantage comes from the fact that the Pistons replaced two vets with two 2nd year players.

I think this season was a big season for our players to prove themselves... Ron that he was stable, Tins that he could play, Reggie that he wasn't too old, JO that he was a max player, Al that he wasn't a black whole...and that with the added pressure they had to do things right and put other issues aside or really damage thier careers.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last year the Pistons, under Carlisle, were tougher.
    This year the Pacers, under Carlisle, are tougher.

There's your answer right there.

I may be off track here, but I believe a good part of the difference shown by the Pacers this year is because of Larry Birds no nonsense attitude. After taking over control of the team this year, Larry stated if someone was not happy playing here he would find a place where they would be happy. That kind of talk from the GM sent a statement to the players that was unmistakable in its intent. Grow up or else. After a little testing period the players have responded well to this way of thinking.

The players learned quickly the pecking order is the Simons, Bird (Walsh), Carlisle, (Reggie ) and then all the rest.

You're off track. Bird has been really nothing more than a figurehead this year. Walsh still has firm hold of the management reins. Bird has been traveling a lot on scouting trips. The incident with Carlisle and Ron? Walsh handled that.

Peck, it's the coaching. That much is obvious. Sure, these guys have had a year to mature and have the benefit of hindsight, but there's no doubt in my mind that Carlisle knows how to direct these guys' vast talent and energy, whereas I thought Isiah could never quite get a handle on it. It was like he had a tiger by the tail. Rick has it by the scruff of the neck.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd like to know how many games RC has saved simply by knowing when to call a timeout. The previous administration drove me up a freaking wall allowing a run to continue without calling a TO to kill the momentum.
    For that reason alone, I give a big to RC and his crew.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I'd like to know how many games RC has saved simply by knowing when to call a timeout. The previous administration drove me up a freaking wall allowing a run to continue without calling a TO to kill the momentum. For that reason alone, I give a big to RC and his crew.

Here, here. I'm a Red Sox fan, and watching Grady Little keep Martinez in beyond the 7th inning (which is his limit) and long after he was no longer effective in the ALCS reminded me of Isiah with his time outs. Thankfully the Sox fired him, too.