Thread: OT. NCAA tournament is not as popular as you might think

Default OT. NCAA tournament is not as popular as you might think

If you listen to the media, you would think the NCAA torunament is the most popular sporting event. You would think with all the office pools, that eveyone is watching the tournament.

Well the ratings are in, and they are not pretty.

The game Monday night got an 11.0 rating. The Superbowl by comparison gets ratings between 40-45. 4-times as large.

Granted the SuperBowl is a poor comparison, that is more like a national holiday. But the NFC and AFC championship games get ratings between 25-30. The round before that gets ratings in the 20-25 range.

The average Sunday afternoon NFL game gets ratings of approx 13, 14. Monday night football gets 13 or 14.

The college football championship game last year got 19.5, this year it was approx 18.

Indianapolis is always one of the highest rated cities for the NCAA basketball. But if you look at cities like Miami, LA, San Fran. Seattle, their ratings hardly register.

lasts year the final game got a 12.5.

Some of you are probably wodnering why I have not compared the NBA to college. Well OK.

last year's NBA Finals got 8,9's, which were horrible numbers. When the pacers played the lakers in 2000, the national numbers were 14's and 15's.

Keep in mind I think the only valid comparison would be a game 7 of the NBA finals vs the NCAA championship game.

If the Lakers play the Pacers for example in the NBA finals and it goes to a game 7, the national ratings will be over a 17.

Just trying to out a little perspective on just how popular college basketball is.

Default Re: OT. NCAA tournament is not as popular as you might think

Just trying to out a little perspective on just how popular college basketball is.
    Tell me how much money exchanged hands as a result of that game and I'll tell you how popular it really is.

The NCAA championship game is never a popular viewing event. It's a popular betting event.

And why do we keep comparing to range:?
    Then how to you explain huge NFL ratings, there is a lot more money bet on the NFL.

I don't understand your point.

Don't forget to mention that this was the lowest rated NCAA final in many, many years, if not ever.

Plus, the most popular part of the tournament is the first two days. I didn't watch the championship game, but I took off work to watch the first two days.
    Can we get a new color commentator please?

Southside_Pacer

The NCAA and the men's basketball tourney are still very popular. This year's final game simply did not have any real interest on a national level like others of years past did.

Last year the story of Carmelo leading Syracuse to the national title game brought in casual fans. Jim Boeheim possibly getting his first championship also was a storyline. Then you throw in Kansas with that possibly being Roy Williams' last game, and Kansas being lead with those two seniors, and it creates a story.

In 2002 the story was Indiana, coming out of nowhere, to get to the title game. That was a storyline.

This year's everyone clearly knew who the better team was when UCONN and Georgia Tech both won their semi-finals. Then when the game turns out to be a rout for 3/4 of it, people simply aren't going to watch since it was one of the most boring championship games in awhile, with no visible story line.

This year's NFL playoffs had some of the best games in recent memory. A ton of games were coming down to the wire, and all the bad coaching decisions made people want to watch the next week even more. Then you have all the storylines such as Parcells leading the Cowboys back to the playoffs, how the Green Bay Packers got in and how off the charts Bret Favre was playing, then you have Peyton Manning actually winning playoff games and getting that monkey off his back. In the NFC, people were talking about Carolina and how bad they were just a few years ago, to now being one of the best teams in the league. Close games, with a storyline, make causual fans watch.

This year's NCAA title game had no "sexy" appeal to it, and when people did watch they saw UCONN just blowing Georgia Tech out of the water.

So to say that the NCAA tourney isn't very popular due to one of the most boring championship games in awhile is pretty crazy. Like btown said, comparing the NCAA tourney to the NFL playoffs is apples to oranges.

The Duke U-Conn game saturday night got worse ratings than the finals Monday night. It was somwhere around 10.5, which is preety good for the final four, Saturday night,

No doubt if Duke and U-Conn were in the Final monday night the rating would have been 25%-30% higher, and the fact that the game was a blowout was a factor.

The first two days are not the most popular. The afternoon sessions gets 5's. The night sessions gets low 7's. The ratings go up in each round.

Is comparing the NFL to the NCAA like comparing apples to oranges? I don't see why. Each season the NFL has approx 3x the ratings that the NCAA has. That does not vary from season to season and it is not dependent on close games or who is playing.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The championship game had a 10.4/17 share at halftime (we'll use 10pm as an average for the night, since it ended after primetime on the east coast), well ahead of the next competition, which had a 7.9/13 share. In other words, the game had 2.5 million more viewers than anything else on television, and was seen in 17% of all american homes with televisions on at the time. (Zap2it.com)

CBS also won every Saturday with their basketball coverage. Sunday ratings are not available.

2nd Round
    Regional Finals
    Final Four

This chart shows that the second game of the Final Four (the one in primetime) between Duke and UConn attracted 16.7 million viewers and 20% of the televisions on at the time.

Of course, by sheer numbers, these ratings do not look terribly impressive. The Tournament is unlike any other sporting event, however. It's spread over more than three weeks, involves 65 teams, and has game start times anywhere between noon and 11pm. Factor in the fact the games are always either on a school/work night or on a weekend night when no one is home, and you can find lower ratings a result. Most people are casual fans, after all.

I do not believe college basketball to be a second rate sport in America. I do believe its ratings suffer from viewer apathy (I really would have rather not seen GT vs. UConn) and poor air times. Furthermore, this sport is unlike any other. There are many, many more teams involved in college basketball than in the NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL combined. Everyone has a favorite, and everyone becomes less interested when their team loses. This leads to viewer fragmentation, and lower ratings result.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Tell me how much money exchanged hands as a result of that game and I'll tell you how popular it really is.

The NCAA championship game is never a popular viewing event. It's a popular betting event.

And why do we keep comparing to range:?
    Then how to you explain huge NFL ratings, there is a lot more money bet on the NFL.

I don't understand your point.
    And I don't understand yours. The NFL has good ratings. The NCAA tourny this year didn't. Whoopiety doo. Neither of those reflects on the NBA.

I find ratings interesting. Most people don't. That is all.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It doesnt surprise me that the ratings were not that great. In general, there wasnt much excitement to me. You had 2 #2 seeds, a #4, and a #1 seed. Most of these teams were supposed to be here. No star player was hurt and brought his team to victory. Ya know the usual tournament hype. It just wasnt very appealing. Oh and 1 indiana team. ed:

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I totally disagree. I think the NCAA tournament is the most anticipated and biggest event in the country now.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I find ratings interesting. Most people don't. That is all.
    You hate statistics, but you love ratings? ed:

And you all missing the big story. Yes, the men's tournament had the worst ratings ever, but the women's tournament had the best ratings ever. :P
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!