Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Pacer Prattle

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Pacer Prattle

    Pacer Prattle

    There were rumors right after the Peja/Ron trade that, quote; "the Pacers are trying very hard to obtain Mickael Pietrus from Golden State for Fred Jones." Obviously because he plays defense a lot like Ron.

    Viewed unlikely at the time it's very unlikely now that Pietrus is starting ahead of Mike Dunleavy in the Warriors lineup. Plus the Warriors want a big man, not another guard.

    One thing interesting is the Warriors have to make a deal today or lose the $5.2 million trade exception they got from New Jersey for Cliff Robinson. The exception expires at the close of business today. There are rumors that they are trying to trade Duneavy, but since he is in the first year of a new contract he is BYC, thus really hard to trade. The exception makes it easier to trade Duneavy, so if he is not traded today he probably won't be traded at all this year. The thought I got from this is if they don't trade Dunleavy today maybe they will consider trading Pietrus after all.

    Obviously since we have Peja and Granger manning the small forward position we wouldn't be interested in using Pietrus there. Rather he would be taking Fred Jones backup guard position. (Which could make Jax expendable)

    Personally, I don't see trading Fred at all, even if he is a restricted free agent at the end of the year. Fred is the only player we have that can really guard the Parker's and Wades of the NBA. Thus when Fred gets in foul trouble like he did against SAS, we really get hurt. So what we really need is to trade someone else for Pietrus, and thus have two guards capable of guarding people.

    What the Warriors have wanted is a big man, so maybe we could trade Croshere to them. Most of us like everything about Cro except his contract, however he does seem to be odd man out the way the Pacers are playing now.

    This works.

    Outgoing
    Austin Croshere
    6-10 PF from Providence
    8.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.2 apg in 25.4 minutes
    Anthony Johnson
    6-3 PG from Charleston
    7.3 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 3.9 apg in 24.1 minutes

    Incoming
    Mickael Pietrus
    6-6 SG from France (Foreign)
    11.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 0.9 apg in 23.9 minutes
    Derek Fisher
    6-1 PG from Arkansas-Little Rock
    11.7 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.1 apg in 27.9 minutes
    ----------

    Blurb from Tribune columnist Sam Smith on Peja.

    "It seems time the Bulls end the unending youth movements. Free agency? Peja Stojakovic seems likely to re-sign with Indiana, Ben Wallace with the Pistons and Jason Terry with Dallas. So who? Al Harrington? Nene? Vladimir Radmanovic? Wait until 2007? The Sonics desperately need financial relief. Trading them Gordon, who did his best playing against Western Conference teams last week, would almost replace Allen's scoring and could be a perimeter option along with Rashard Lewis."

    That's good to hear! I agree with Sam, I really don't think Bird will let Peja get away.
    ----------

    Playoff seedings have to be changed.

    Right now the way the playoffs are set up, all six divisions winners have home court advantage in the first round. Since sixteen teams make the playoffs, eight from the Western Conference, and eight from the Eastern conference, it means the fourth place finisher in each conference will also get home court advantage in the first round.

    For instance in the Western conference right now the standings look thus,

    1 San Antonio........... 40-11
    2 Phoenix................. 33-17
    3 Denver.................. 28-25
    4 Dallas................... 40-11
    5 LA Clippers............ 30-19
    6 NO/Oklahoma City... 28-23
    7 Memphis................ 28-23
    8 LA Lakers.............. 26-25


    This is the way the playoffs are seeded.

    [1] vs [8] with the winner facing the [4] vs [5] winner.

    [2] vs [7] with the winner facing the [3] vs [6] winner.


    That means if the playoffs started today the Spurs would play the Mavs in the 2ed round, provided both teams win. That's what happened to the Pacers and Pistons two years ago when the Pacers won 61 games, and the Pistons 54. No one else was even close, New Jersey being next with 47 wins.

    A better way would be to seed the home teams according to record. Nothing else would change since the team with the best record has home court advantage the rest of the playoffs.

    Thus instead of the traditional seedings the teams with the best records wouldn't meet until the conference finals.

    [1] vs [8] with the winner facing the [3] vs [6] winner.

    [2] vs [7] with the winner facing the [4] vs [5] winner.
    ----------

    Too many after game threads

    If you are like me you like to read and talk about the game afterwords. My problem is there are always several threads and basically the same things get covered. Sometimes you even have people coping and pasting something they said in another thread. So my suggestion is 'one after game thread."

    It occurs to me that a lot of us like to read Peck's 'Odd thought's on the Game,' so I would make that an exception. Some of you might thing this not fair, but some people only read Peck's after game thread. I don't believe anybody else can make that claim.

    What's everyone think?

  2. #2
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,615

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    The Pacers could trade Jack for Pietrus since GS has a large trade exception. I'm not sure if the Pacers would be much better though. I'm not even sure how much better he is than Freddie (although he definitely has a height advantage).

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacer Prattle


    Playoff seedings have to be changed.

    A better way would be to seed the home teams according to record. Nothing else would change since the team with the best record has home court advantage the rest of the playoffs.

    I don't think the division winners automatically get HCA. They'll get no less than a 3# seed but if they have a record that is worse than the #6 team they'll have to go on the road.

    Didn't this happen last year or the year before with one of the lower seeds getting HCA over a higher seed? My memory escapes me at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  3. #3
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    You are right about home court advantage going to the team with the best record. However, that's not what I meant by changing the seeding.

    I said, A better way would be to seed the home teams according to record, meaning 'after the teams with home court advantage are decided' they should be seeded according to record so that the teams with the two best records can't meet until the conference finals.

    I remember a lower seeded team getting home court advantage, but I thought that was in the second round.

  4. #4
    Member Jumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Age
    31
    Posts
    184

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Personally, although Peitrus may be a great ball player, I would like to see the Pacers settle their roster a bit. We just recieved an all-star caliber player in Peja, already have one in Oneal, and a nice supporting cast. The last thing we need to do in my opinion is continue to tweak, teams can really kill continuity when they do that. I would just like to see our team return to health, get back Tins and Cro, then Oneal, and see where this team can take us.

  5. #5
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,754

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    We REALLY need to make a move. A move that lets Peja know we are SERIOUS about a title. We can not afford Fred he has been playing way too well this season. I am inclinced to feel that once he gets his new contract, he will revert to the old Fred we all remember. He's always played good defense, but he's never been looking for his offense as much as recently.

    Anyhow, we need to package Fred/Cro/Tinsley and try to pull off a blockbuster of some sorts. If we could get Pietrus/Dun/Draft Pick from Golden State that would be KEY. Dunleavy and Croshere are basically the same player almost, sure Croshere means a lot to this team, but I am inclined to feel he has lost his place here.

    The reason I include Tinsley in the trade, is because I think that idea of Tins/Fred would be enough to get them to part with Pietrus and we could probably squeeze the draft pick out of them. Fred has shown he can play and Golden State is the type of team that has to take risks (Tinsley)

    I would be THRILLED to see us get rid of Tinsley. He's just one more chemistry issue this team DOES NOT need. Pietrus would be a FORCE off our bench behind Jackson. Can you really imagine this rotation.

    Saras/Aj/GIll
    Jack/Pietrus
    Peja/Granger/Dunleavy
    Jermaine/Foster
    Pollard/DH

    That second unit is such a defensive beast, of course AJ would probably be starting. Of course losing Croshere does cause some concern when you look at it and realize Pollard could go down anytime. That is why the draft pick is key. We use Golden States pick to draft a big guy, then our pick to get another point guard (can't seem to have enough PG's and GIll doesn't really count)

    Just an idea of course, im sure nothing like that will go down.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  6. #6
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    I like the game thread idea, on RealGM the Raptors board has one game thread and after the game they have a POST Game Thread where all the comments about the game go, and all the other stuff is locked. Would be a good idea. Whatever Hicks wants though.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,662
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Saras/Aj/GIll
    Jack/Pietrus
    Peja/Granger/Dunleavy
    Jermaine/Foster
    Pollard/DH

    You think that we would trade for a guy with Dun Dun's contract and then sit him on the end of the bench? I don't think that this is likely.

  8. #8
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,662
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the game thread idea, on RealGM the Raptors board has one game thread and after the game they have a POST Game Thread where all the comments about the game go, and all the other stuff is locked. Would be a good idea. Whatever Hicks wants though.
    I didn't know that Raptors fans want to discuss anything after some of those games. I would think that they would just want to open a cold Labatt's Blue and forget about most of them.

  9. #9
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,754

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You think that we would trade for a guy with Dun Dun's contract and then sit him on the end of the bench? I don't think that this is likely.
    Just seems like if we want Pietrus were gonna be getting Dun too. I will admit I am not that familiar with him as a player. But I do want Pietrus based on what i've heard/seen during the GS game.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  10. #10
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    I'd like to see Pietrus here but not at the expense of Jack. The original trade proposal up there seems nice but would the Warriors do it?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,643

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    I'd take Pietrus. It's just a question of putting together a trade to get him here. I'd sacrifice Tinsley, but wouldn't be willing to include Jackson. And I don't think I'd be willing to take Dunleavy. His contract would put us in the same position that we've ahd with Austin the last several years.

    As for playoff seeding, I think the fairest (and best) way to do it is to re-seed based on record after EVERY round.

  12. #12
    Gamble
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    If we trade our best pg we best get a pg and one that can guard.
    As of now Fred J is going to be gone and we are stuck with a
    a hole either in the sg or the pg. We are screwed either way so why
    not leave it as it is until next season.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Will,

    Though your point is cogent, in the interest of accuracy it should be pointed out that Indiana and Detroit played in the ECF, not the second round, two years ago.

    Still, your point is a good one. I believe the NHL re-seeds in the manner you describe, with good results.

    I'd bring up another point, too. Why do we need six divisions anyway? If you have two divisions per conference, gauranteee the division winners the top two seeds (with home court always determined by record), and then include the six other teams with the best records regardless of divisional affiliation, I think you'd accomplish essentially the same thing.

    Of course, that will never happen because it would prevent two teams from hanging one of those meaningless divisional title banners.

    MJB

  14. #14
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will,

    Though your point is cogent, in the interest of accuracy it should be pointed out that Indiana and Detroit played in the ECF, not the second round, two years ago.


    MJB
    Slapping head! I knew that. (grin)

    We thought it was going to happen last year and talked about it in pre-season. However, Ben Wallace/Ron Artest happened.

  15. #15
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,707

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Not sure I like the idea of having just one after game thread.
    I mean what if I want to start a thread after the next game about how Eddie Gill should be the Pacers starting point guard. (After all I have started started a thread about Saras and then last week about AJ)

    Seriously though, I do sometimes get frustrated with so many after game threads, but the bad ones die very quickly. So I would vote to keep as is

  16. #16
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    I'm going to be experimenting with some post-game threads in the future to see what we can do.

  17. #17
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too many after game threads

    If you are like me you like to read and talk about the game afterwords. My problem is there are always several threads and basically the same things get covered. Sometimes you even have people coping and pasting something they said in another thread. So my suggestion is 'one after game thread."

    It occurs to me that a lot of us like to read Peck's 'Odd thought's on the Game,' so I would make that an exception. Some of you might thing this not fair, but some people only read Peck's after game thread. I don't believe anybody else can make that claim.

    What's everyone think?
    I'm not a fan of just one post-game thread at all.

    I'd like to say a lot more but its not politically correct.

    Fellow posters, if you think you've got something to say, don't let these types of comments discourage you from either posting or starting threads. If you aren't getting any response, its probably either (1) your analysis was so good that there's nothing else to say; or (2) your analysis was so bad that nobody wants to waste their time replying to it.

    Most likely, however, you're going to start an interesting discussion because its the varying viewpoints that make PD great.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  18. #18

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not a fan of just one post-game thread at all.

    I'd like to say a lot more but its not politically correct.

    Fellow posters, if you think you've got something to say, don't let these types of comments discourage you from either posting or starting threads. If you aren't getting any response, its probably either (1) your analysis was so good that there's nothing else to say; or (2) your analysis was so bad that nobody wants to waste their time replying to it.

    Most likely, however, you're going to start an interesting discussion because its the varying viewpoints that make PD great.
    Whew, I'm glad I deleted my post and you picked up the slack in a much more articulate manner.

    I agree.

  19. #19
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Maybe it's best if the Mods just pay more attention to merging threads that aren't too different. That way there's not 7 to keep track of.

  20. #20
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Fellow posters, if you think you've got something to say, don't let these types of comments discourage you from either posting or starting threads. If you aren't getting any response, its probably either (1) your analysis was so good that there's nothing else to say; or (2) your analysis was so bad that nobody wants to waste their time replying to it.
    I'm not for discouraging posting. I just don't like everyone starting their own post game thread. And it's not because I don't want to read them, it's just the opposite, it's because I do. I don't like missing good points. When there's a lot of post game threads and things move fast some threads that I would really have liked to read get dropped out of view. I'll discover them days later when I'm bored and there's no one to discuss certain points in it with, everyone has moved on.

    Have you ever arrived late to a thread and everything you subsequently post you find someone else has made your point later in that thread? I have, it makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

    I post when I read something I want to comment on. If I wait until I've read the whole thread then I have trouble finding the thread I want to comment on or I no longer remember what I wanted to say.

    I guess I just have a different viewpoint.

  21. #21
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just seems like if we want Pietrus were gonna be getting Dun too. I will admit I am not that familiar with him as a player. But I do want Pietrus based on what i've heard/seen during the GS game.
    What you've seen is Pietrus's career high.

    He's not going to make 4-5 3 pointers in every single game. On top of that we are left with a weak PG rotation. Do you honestly think we can win a championship with AJ and Saras starting? They are both great but AJ is to inconsistent and Sarunas is still learning the NBA game.

  22. #22
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,336

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    I would love to get Pietrus.....but I don't think that the Warriors would consider trading him. From what I have read about the Ws on the RealGM GSW and WarriorWorld forums....they would prefer to move any of their Big contracts ( DunDunJr, Fisher, Foyle or Murphy ) to make capspace to resign Pietrus when he becomes a Free Agent in the 2007 offseason. Mullin is extremely patient ( as evident by his stand to stick by Coach Montgomery this season despite sucking it up out there ) and is looking beyond this season.

    I doubt that the Ws bite on what pretty much boils down to a Croshere/AJ for Pietrus/Fisher trade....but I think a combination of players with Foster and Pietrus as the centerpieces would tweak the Ws interest as they are desperate for a solid Big Man. I don't like it....but the reality is that Foster is far more valuable trading asset the Croshere because he is one of the most reasonably priced Solid PF/C in the league.

    MINOR NOTE TO WILL - Is it me....or is this one of the few times that I have seen you post a RealGM Trade proposal? I don't seem to recall you suggesting that many trades. I guess you as bored as I am waiting for the Pacers/Bucks game to start.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  23. #23
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,914

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    The last couple of times I considered starting a thread after a game I ended up posting in someone else's thread and as such followed their train of thought and the ongoing debate.

    I ended up not posting everything I would've said in my own post and I think in retrospect that I should've made my own post. By trying not to hijack the original thread I focused more on a negative issue than I'd planned on and that skewed things.

    Case in point being the Spurs game and the fracas that has been raised there... I did try to emphasize some positives but that got lost in the discussion of some questions about the coaching down the stretch.

    It's hard to be too angry when a team that has had the season the Pacers have had found themselves in a 4 game winning streak, with the defending champs about to become victim #5, and get too far gone over the loss. ...Even if it did feel like we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...

    I vote 'let the threads come in from all corners'...



    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  24. #24
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    MINOR NOTE TO WILL - Is it me....or is this one of the few times that I have seen you post a RealGM Trade proposal? I don't seem to recall you suggesting that many trades. I guess you as bored as I am waiting for the Pacers/Bucks game to start.
    I've posted a fair amount of trades thur the years and I do check them though RealGM to make sure they work. However, I don't really care for their repeating setup so I usually type my trade proposals myself.

  25. #25
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,914

    Default Re: Pacer Prattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I guess I just have a different viewpoint.
    Too much sunshine and warm weather will do that.

    I'm sick of winter...


    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •