Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87

Thread: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

  1. #1
    Member Harddrive7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,162

    Default OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Yes, I'm starting another thread on this to not hijack PG

    I got BIG time brownie points this year.

    My wife's birthday was last week and I had a portrait done of all 4 of the kids (unreal likeness BTW) For V-day she got one of those Vermont bears and a dozen roses. 1st year for the dozen roses, I usually get just regular flowers.

    She usually gets the (2) little ones ready for the sitters in the morning, so I got up while she was in the shower and put her card in the littlest ones hands while he slept. He actually hung onto it until she got in there.

    HD7 GOOOOOOOOOD hubby...pant, pant, pant...


    Hicks, I know you'll need to move this, I just didn't think it would get a lot of action over there to start with.

  2. #2
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Thankfully I'm with a woman who finds Valentine's Day as ludicrous as I do.

  3. #3
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,676

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thankfully I'm with a woman who finds Valentine's Day as ludicrous as I do.
    I thought maybe you got her that nice fur coat........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  4. #4

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    chocolates

    and a dozen roses in a vase delivered from proflowers.com

  5. #5

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    I let her talk back to me. Just once.

  6. #6
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I let her talk back to me. Just once.
    OMG!! Stop it!!



    My wife and I don't buy into the Valentine's hype machine, either.

    Why?

    Because every day is Valentine's at OUR house.











    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  7. #7
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,337

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    chocolates

    and a dozen roses in a vase delivered from proflowers.com
    So, did you get the Bob and Tom special?!


    Also, for those who don't celebrate it, why does it have to be about the romantic products companies conspiring to steal your money at the premise of guilt for not recognizing your love of someone? Can't it, for once, be about enjoying life and not being a non-conformist for the sake of non-conformity?

    I swear, if I took life that seriously, I would probably jump off a building.

    Halloween is dumb too, but the kids sure get a kick out of dressing up and getting to know our neighbors a little better, while enhancing our sense of community.

    Look for the positives!!

    Sorry for the rant, but sometimes that whole angle of thinking gets to me a little. Not a personal attack on anyone; in fact, I completely support everyone's ability to make their own choices.



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  8. #8

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, did you get the Bob and Tom special?!
    Dan Patrick special.

    free vase, free chocolates, dozen roses for 39.99, tax and delivery made it $54 I think.

    I would have paid 35-40 for the roses alone at a florist here so I thought it was a deal.

  9. #9
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Okay, I don't mean to offend you guys, but don't you feel like Pavlovian robots?

    Valentines Day!

    *ding*

    ..must buy roses...must buy chocolates....must buy teddy bear....

    It's gone beyond being a cliche. Talk about marketers having people trained to a tee.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  10. #10
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,337

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dan Patrick special.

    free vase, free chocolates, dozen roses for 39.99, tax and delivery made it $54 I think.

    I would have paid 35-40 for the roses alone at a florist here so I thought it was a deal.
    SWEET!

    I got the B&T special, which was two dozen, field cut yesterday (as far as I know!) roses, free vase. Delivered to me for $54.

    I had them delivered to me first because my wife works in the same building as me, and I wanted to personally deliver them when I asked her to go to lunch with me today. Also, I had a feeling that they would come all unromantically packed in a cardboard box, so I wanted to arrange them and make them look purty before I gave them to her...



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  11. #11
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,337

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, I don't mean to offend you guys, but don't you feel like Pavlovian robots?

    Valentines Day!

    *ding*

    ..must buy roses...must buy chocolates....must buy teddy bear....

    It's gone beyond being a cliche. Talk about marketers having people trained to a tee.
    Thanks for validating my point. I buy my wife flowers on this day because I like to see the look on her face when I walk into her office with them.

    Who cares who came up with the holiday? It makes my wife happy....I'm not going to stop doing it because I feel "manipulated". It's my choice to do it, and your choice to not.

    Cripes.



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  12. #12

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, I don't mean to offend you guys, but don't you feel like Pavlovian robots?

    Valentines Day!

    *ding*

    ..must buy roses...must buy chocolates....must buy teddy bear....

    It's gone beyond being a cliche. Talk about marketers having people trained to a tee.
    I ended my 5 year relationship 2 days before instead. Almost the same thing, really.

  13. #13
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Dozen roses. Stopped at Costco yesterday on the way home from work. $14, and they look like pretty good flowers.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  14. #14
    Member Harddrive7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,162

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, I don't mean to offend you guys, but don't you feel like Pavlovian robots?

    Valentines Day!

    *ding*

    ..must buy roses...must buy chocolates....must buy teddy bear....

    It's gone beyond being a cliche. Talk about marketers having people trained to a tee.
    No, it's simply that one time of year that you can take time out and make it special for the one you love. What's arong with that?

    Don't feel bad that you're not in the Valentine's business and you're missing out on making all of that money.

  15. #15

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    I don't have a "sweetie".

    I'm actually pretty damn happy about it. Women are more of a hassle than they're worth most of the time.

  16. #16
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    I'm all for the special part, but if you're like every other guy, chocolates/teddy bear/roses, how special is that?

    Special to me is, well, doing something special, not the exact same thing every other guy in the country is doing.

    Okay, I don't mean to sound all curmudgeony, but making it a special day to me means, well......doing something special. Frex, One Valentine's day, I made a video slideshow with photos of all the vacations we've taken. I put it on DVD.

    Another year, I gave her a certificate for a pedicure/mainicure and booked a flight for a trip to her favorite vacation spot with a handmade certificate annoucing the flight.

    There are so many georgous flowers out there, why roses? Cause the TV tells you to? Man, there are some inexpensive, beautiful flowers out there that would really surprise her and touch her. Roses? The ultimate cliche to me.

    I love the concept of Valentine's day. I hate the concept of the no brainer gift pack. How is that special? When I say I don't buy into the Valentine's hype machine, I mean I don't buy into having marketrs tell you what to get her. Be creative! If it's so infrequent that you buy her flowers that roses on Valetine's Day is special, maybe some of you'd better re-think things. (okay, THAT will get them going.)


    (LOL, I know I'm probably pissing off a ton of guys....)
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  17. #17

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    I just barfed a little in my mouth. Thanks, Skaut.

  18. #18
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,032
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    A cd, a dvd, a book, a boyd's bear, flowers, and a nice dinner.

  19. #19
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,371

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    scented candle.

    again, she finds valentine's day stupid also, but I couldn't in good concience not get her anything...

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  20. #20

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    I'm all alooone in the world.....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  21. #21
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,371

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am single right now, but I got a good friend of mine one of those Vermont Teddy Bears, sent it to her at college....

    $50 for a freakin teddy bear..i cant stand those things.

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  22. #22
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,371

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $50? I wish. That would have been real nice if they were that cheap.
    They went up in price this year?

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,134

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    I plan on making dinner for my wife. Nothing special, but I don't ever cook so it will be a real shock when she gets home to find I actually made dinner for her and it's not Olive Garden.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,134

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    BTW, I'm like most of you, I think this day is a crock.

  25. #25
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: OT: Whatcha get your sweetie?

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I ended my 5 year relationship 2 days before instead. Almost the same thing, really.
    You're awesome.

    (You gotta stop making me laugh out loud in the library).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •