Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conrad: Should Jackson Be Go-To Guy In Clutch?

Default Conrad: Should Jackson Be Go-To Guy In Clutch?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

QUESTION
    OF THE DAY

Conrad Brunner

Q. Despite his reputation coming in, it seems as though Stephen Jackson has had little success as a clutch performer for the Pacers. Still he receives the majority of the touches in late game situation (as he did against the Spurs). Is there a reason Rick Carlisle continues to go to Jackson, in light of his limited success as opposed to one of the Pacers better shooters (i.e. Sarunas Jasikevicius or Peja Stojakovic)? (From Evan in Chicago)

A. Let's not throw Jack under the bus because he took one admittedly bad shot late against San Antonio. He was, after all, the only Pacers player to score in the final 3 minutes. You might counter by saying he scored because so many plays were called for him and you'd be right. On five of the final seven possessions, Jackson wound up with the ball. And here's what happened:
    With the Pacers up 81-77, he spun away from his defender for a dunk that made it 83-77 with 2:34 remaining;

He committed a turnover on the next possession, losing the ball on a drive;
    After Tony Parker scored to cut the lead to two, he drained a 3-pointer that made it 86-81 with 1:35 left;
    Defensively, he could be criticized for failing to get his hand up on Emanuel Ginobili's desperation 34-foot 3-pointer that cut the lead back to one;
    Jeff Foster committed a turnover, then Scot Pollard fouled Ginobili, who made both free throws for an 87-86 San Antonio lead;
    Jackson then drove and drew a foul from Bowen, making both free throws to put the Pacers back in front with 38 seconds to go;
    After Ginobili hit two free throws, the Pacers called a post-up for Jackson, who was unable to get deep enough position but, rather than moving the ball, he tried to make a play and wound up forcing a jumper that missed;
    Fred Jones was the go-to guy on the final meaningful possession. Could different plays featuring different players been selected? That's always an easy decision to make after the fact, although it doesn't require hindsight to believe it prudent to involve Stojakovic as much as possible in the late-game mechanics. But the Pacers' biggest problem down the stretch wasn't offense, it was a defense that couldn't stop the Spurs in general and Ginobili in particular. And if not for Ginobili's unlikely bomb, we'd all be celebrating Jackson's clutch performance in a huge victory.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Default Re: Conrad: Should Jackson Be Go-To Guy In Clutch?

I'd like to try Peja.

Interesting and, IMO, fairly objective view taking into account various interpretations of the last minutes. The thing I most agree with is the idea that had Ginobili not hit a miracle shot, Jack's late game offense would have seemed much more successful and clutch. You guys on here probably think I'm a big Jack fan. Let me try to explain my stance somewhat succinctly. I take the good with the bad on all players. None are perfect. Jack is a solid player, not a star. He does have attributes I don't like, such as letting his emotions or attitude get the better of him and, in certain situations reverting to the I must score on this play, tunnel-vision mentality. In the last week, my point has been that he deserves some credit both for trying to improve on some of his bad points and his great play, without which we don't win all 4 and be in position to win a 5th.

So I am trying to respect the guy's effort and what I see as improved attitude and team camraderie. As for the black hole monniker he often gets nailed with on here, he also had 5 assists against SA and attempted 8 FTs, both positives in his game we need to be successful as a team. In addition, you have to look at the fact that Rick often goes to him in important moments. That says something about what he sees in Jack. All that said, I am not averse to the idea of him being moved if we can get something that significantly improves or helps the team. Those reactionary calls for Jack for two 2nd rounders do not constitute anything close. In fact, I'm not against moving anybody as long as we get something reasonable relative to their value to the team. To sum up, Jack is frustrating at times. However, some of the criticisms of him on this board I find too extreme. He's not as bad as many portray him.

P.S.-As far as late game heroics opportunities on offense, I am equally fine with Peja, Fred, or Sarunas as initiators, but unfortunately I don't get to call any plays.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting and, IMO, fairly objective view taking into account various interpretations of the last minutes. The thing I most agree with is the idea that had Ginobili not hit a miracle shot, Jack's late game offense would have seemed much more successful and clutch. You guys on here probably think I'm a big Jack fan. Let me try to explain my stance somewhat succinctly. I take the good with the bad on all players. None are perfect. Jack is a solid player, not a star. He does have attributes I don't like, such as letting his emotions or attitude get the better of him and, in certain situations reverting to the I must score on this play, tunnel-vision mentality. In the last week, my point has been that he deserves some credit both for trying to improve on some of his bad points and his great play, without which we don't win all 4 and be in position to win a 5th.

So I am trying to respect the guy's effort and what I see as improved attitude and team camraderie. As for the black hole monniker he often gets nailed with on here, he also had 5 assists against SA and attempted 8 FTs, both positives in his game we need to be successful as a team. In addition, you have to look at the fact that Rick often goes to him in important moments. That says something about what he sees in Jack. All that said, I am not averse to the idea of him being moved if we can get something that significantly improves or helps the team. Those reactionary calls for Jack for two 2nd rounders do not constitute anything close. In fact, I'm not against moving anybody as long as we get something reasonable relative to their value to the team. To sum up, Jack is frustrating at times. However, some of the criticisms of him on this board I find too extreme. He's not as bad as many portray him.
    Good post.

If we decide to trade Jack, I'd want at least a slashing starting SG in return.

But for the time being, I'm in favour of keeping him.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Sports Logo

In a perfect world....I would have SJax be the 6th man to come off the bench. But based off of how I have seen of him play alongside Sarunas ( as in Sarunas passes the ball to SJax, SJax dribbles for about 10 seconds then launches the ball ) compared to how well Freddie, Granger and Foster play with him....I would prefer to keep SJax with the starting lineup.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

ManicStreetPreachers

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    I'd like to try Peja.
    Kings fans might find that laughable. As a King, even the towel boy was considered more clutch than Peja.

Seriously though, I think Peja can do well in clutch. I remeber him hitting a game winner against Detroit couple of years ago in Detroit on a great screen from Divac.

Chest Rockwell

I thought Pollard's defensive lapse on the Spurs' final posession was as blameworthy as Jackson's bad shot.

Ginoblis 3 wasnt a miracle shot, why do people keep saying that?

It was a wide open 3 pt shot, maybe a tiny little bit behind the arc. It might have been a miracle shot if it had been contested at all. Sorry, I still cant forgive Jack for that defensive lapse. Thats just common sense that you trap the guy if hes deep behind the arc with the shot clock expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell
    I thought Pollard's defensive lapse on the Spurs' final posession was as blameworthy as Jackson's bad shot.
    Agreed. Turning his back like that was not a good thing.

Mood

Runi is the biggest CLUTCH player in the world PERIOD. I know those of you who haven't seen Runi play outside the NBA will raise eyebrows, but let's just put it this way, we all know Runi and Peja are farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better shooters than AJ or Stephen Jackson any damn given day. So at least put them on offense sets if you really want to put AJ in for defensive purposes. (especially if he's not hot) Put him (Runi) in the game at least if you're not going to diagram the last play for him. jeeezzzz Rick!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    Agreed. Turning his back like that was not a good thing.
    That was just good coaching/scouting by San Antonio. We always have our bigs show, but not trap, to run back to guard the paint, and they knew it and abused it.

Plus with Jax having been with San Antonio a few seasons back,they knew his style.

Didnt VA just have a thread talking about Sjax/clutch thing??.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR
    Jack for that defensive lapse. Thats just common sense that you trap the guy if hes deep behind the arc with the shot clock expiring.

I agree, that was the biggest mistake the Pacers made in the last 3 minutes. If there were more than 5 seconds on the shot clock then i habve no problem with the way Jax defended it. As I was watching that play I was screaming, "get up"

I think Brunner makes excellent points.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Jackson *should* be the Go-To guy in the clutch.

for Golden State, in exchange for Pietrus and Biedrins.

Peitrus and Beidens? Don't they play for Galdne Stote?
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR
    Ginoblis 3 wasnt a miracle shot, why do people keep saying that?

It was a wide open 3 pt shot, maybe a tiny little bit behind the arc. It might have been a miracle shot if it had been contested at all. Sorry, I still cant forgive Jack for that defensive lapse. Thats just common sense that you trap the guy if hes deep behind the arc with the shot clock expiring.

Yeah right! I was there at the game and Ginobilli launched that 3 from the "E" in Conseco along the sideline. He was at least 7 feet behind the line and it looked like a desperation shot. Give props to Ginobilli but don't blame Jack for him hitting a tough shot.

Jack's defense was the reason Ginobilli had to chase down the ball and shoot from so deep to begin with.

So when you look at the breakdown, Jack scored the Pacers final 7 points and scored on 3 out of 5 possessions. That's not bad. He got the Pacers the lead back on his two FTs.

Scott Pollard made the worst play of the game when he turned away from a driving Ginobilli and then turned around and instinctively fouled him. Dumb, dumb play. But I'm not going to lay the blame at his feet or anyone other than Ginobilli. Ginobilli and the Spurs defense down the stretch was the reason the Pacers lost that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I agree, that was the biggest mistake the Pacers made in the last 3 minutes. If there were more than 5 seconds on the shot clock then i habve no problem with the way Jax defended it. As I was watching that play I was screaming, "get up"

I think Brunner makes excellent points.

Scott's foul on Ginobilli was much, much worse, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Jay!? LOL!! Man, I would wet myself if THAT trade came off!!

waitaminute....I just wet myself anyways...
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

The fact that Runi has had ONE chance to make a clutch shot (game winner) this season pisses me off. Especially since it wasn't a drawn up play. I was at that game and YEAH he missed it. Big deal, he deserves a lot more chances than that.

I do like Jackson in the clutch though, but it's just so predictable. Everyone knows that is who we are going too and it's just ridiculous with guys like Saras and Peja.

Saras' olympic performance should be enough on it's own to grant him the opportunity of a couple plays drawn up for him in the clutch. It's hard NOT to hate Carlisle. He's just way too conservative (always goes defense)and looks too much like Jim Carrey for me.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

KINGS FAN

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    We had this discussion the other day.

I think UB was the one who brought it up, but you have to wonder how much of Peja "choking" stereotype came from that one missed shot against the Lakers
    no trust me it wasnt just against the lakers. peja is very scared of getting the ball at the end of games. there is no way in the world i would give peja the ball in the fourth quarter or in the playoffs. but hes great in the regular season

ManicStreetPreachers

Quote Originally Posted by KINGS FAN
    no trust me it wasnt just against the lakers. peja is very scared of getting the ball at the end of games. there is no way in the world i would give peja the ball in the fourth quarter or in the playoffs. but hes great in the regular season
    There are exceptions of course. Like Minnesotta game from 2 years ago when Peja went on a insane run all by him self.

http://www.nba.com/games/20040510/MINSAC/boxscore.html

Peja scored 22 of his 29 points in 4th qtr and overtime.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov
    Peitrus and Beidens? Don't they play for Galdne Stote?
    When we trade for them, then I'll learn how to spell their names. And not a moment before.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

So, Conrad, Should Jackson Be Go-To Guy In Clutch? Or not? This is very simple question. This is not about what would have been if... Should we understand, that Jax will be the go-to guy in clutch?
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

Pacesetter

Quote Originally Posted by DeS
    So, Conrad, Should Jackson Be Go-To Guy In Clutch? Or not? This is very simple question. This is not about what would have been if... Should we understand, that Jax will be the go-to guy in clutch?
    I think the point he's trying to make is that yes, Jackson can shoot in clutch situations. He knocked down a huge three, and also shot two clutch free throws, but as a team made some to's at critical times, and failed to make the stops on the defensive end. As a result of all the miscues you really don't view the clutch shots HE MADE because of the mistakes and lack of execution by the team when it mattered most!!!! The key words "the Pacers called for a post up" might also explain part of the problem, but I can't be sure ...

Last year when we played the Heat towards the end of the season, Jackson made some huge threes, and we won. Jackson can shoot the ball, but like JO has said, he's a rhythm player, and when we stop moving away from the ball, and settle for the "Isoball" this is what happens.