Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let there be no doubt...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Let there be no doubt...

that Rick Carlisle lost this game. With substitutions at approximately the 4:00 minute mark taking Sarunas and Peja out, then Freddie Jones a little later. Those three were the most instrumental in the lead that the Pacers had gotten, and they all sat down. AJ and SJax came back in, and from that moment on, the lead began to shrink, then vanished, and we lost.

Brilliant Carlisle, brilliant.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Default Re: Let there be no doubt...

At least all the false hope will be squashed early on. Better that way.

IndyToad
    My problem

definitely overcoached
    Vulpes pilum mutat, non mores!

Good coaching today, GREAT JOB MAN. Really I mean look at the great coaching moves.

Sarunas was playing great, built up a 7 point lead. He takes him out with 5 left in the 4th and he doesnt see the game AGAIN. GREAT JOB COACH.

Peja hits 2 straight jumpers to build a 2 point lead to 7. What does he do? He takes Peja out for 3 **** minutes. Peja comes back with 2 minutes left, DOES NOT TOUCH THE BALL. Not shoot it, TOUCH IT HE DOESNT TOUCH IT.

Last shot of the game, he calls a iso for Jack. Okay? I dont blame Jack it was called for him and he took the shot, it was stupid but the play was called.

Why didnt Peja get the damn shot? Jack was struggling and you should have tryed to go through someone else.

Great job once again Ricky, your great coaching never stops. You are just the man. Keep on **** this team up buddy.

JO will come back and we will go back to the same offense that lost us 6 games in a row, because thats how Rick rolls. And all of you will blame Jermaine.

Horrible coach who cant adjust to anything, he sits in his office and he writes down on a piece of paper when he will take players out of the game.

Lets see you Carlisle kids explain how great of a coach he is now. HE LOST THIS GAME. HE DID IT.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At least all the false hope will be squashed early on. Better that way.

IndyToad
    My problem

Seriously. Stop it.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

sweabs

I think there were some wacky substitution calls down the stretch, so I agree.

I certainly didn't see the dire need to put Jackson back into the game, who committed some awfully bad defensive errors in the closing minutes. Bowen hit 2 jumpers very close to the rim, and Ginobili was given a wide open look with the shot clock expiring. When the shot clock is expiring, there is just one rule - close out on your man. I don't care if he's shooting from his own end of the court; don't give him any chance. That 3 pointer (with the technical free throw before that) really swung the momentum in the Spurs favour in my opinion. That was the dagger.

I'm also wondering if it was a wise decision to take Sarunas out of the game as well? I was liking what Sarunas and Peja were doing out there...a lot moreso than AJ & Jackson.

I was just mostly left scratching my head at some of the sub calls - I really didn't see much need for some of them.

That was just inexcusably bad. If he can't see to keep those five guys on the floor to finish the game, how do we expect to win big games in the playoffs with this guy? I just hope he doesn't keep pulling that crap, but he has already done it plenty of times this season....
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Carlisle was definitely a factor in the loss. He took out Peja, Saras, and Freddie with about 4:00 to go, even though they were on fire and playing great. AJ and Jack killed what momentum we had.

Someone needs to teach Jack how to play within the offense. The reason Jack played so well the last few games was because he let the offense come to him. This game, he kept forcing up the most horrible shots he could. They resulted in turnovers, and just overall wasted possessions. There is no reason for him to be getting iso's at the end of the game with the game he was having. Nothing good would (or did) come out of it. Oh and the fact that he didn't play any defense didn't help either. Horrible game overall for Jack.

i have to agree. GDIT what a ****ing disgusting way to lose a game we deserved to win!!!!!!!!!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My exact thoughts Peja Stojakovic has to at least touch the ball down the stretch, on top of his being the teams best shooter , he is 90%+ foul shooter. We have heard Sarunas Jasikevicus is clutch - that said why was Sarunas sitting and Peja ignored down the stretch????

Sorry Rick Carlisle is a good coach but in my opinion his use of his personal late was very poor and cost the Pacers a game they should have won.

Quote Originally Posted by waterjater
    i have to agree. GDIT what a ****ing disgusting way to lose a game we deserved to win!!!!!!!!!!!
    We worked too hard to lose that one. They stole it.
    That substitution was possible the worst choice he could have made at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    That was just inexcusably bad. If he can't see to keep those five guys on the floor to finish the game, how do we expect to win big games in the playoffs with this guy? I just hope he doesn't keep pulling that crap, but he has already done it plenty of times this season....
    Soup dont say that. Man you need to grow up, if you blame the The Holy God Rick Carlisle you are not grown. To grow up in life you have to kiss Rick's *** and worship the ground he walks on, dont forget its Jermaine O'Neal's fault we lost today, not enough dancing from JO today.

I have to admit I was wrong. When we had the 7 point lead I mentioned to Pizza Guy that if Carlisle takes out Sarunas and puts in AJ and Jackson at the 4 minute mark we would lose by 10 points. We only lost by 4. I was so wrong and I admit it.

Now is Carlisle would just admit he was wrong all would be well again. sheesh

Anyway, I assume Rick did it for defensive reasons, as he is wont to do, being the conservative coach. Although I don't think SA failed to score on any of their possessions in the last three minutes, so it obviously didn't work. If we had a good team it may have worked, but with the crew we have you need to go into and out of the game firing.

IndyToad
    A press release

sweabs

Part of the reason we won that Detroit game was because down the stretch, Carlisle was playing for the win, instead of playing "not to lose".

In the last few minutes of the game, I was getting the impression that Carlisle had reverted back to his old ways; playing "not to lose"...and that didn't exactly work out.

87-81...we lose 92-88 from Game thread.

And this is why Rick lost the game AGAIN!! for us! How many times is he going to take out a cohesive lineup that is playing great defense AND SCORING AT THE SAME TIME....to put in a defensive lineup to close the game.

DUMB **** AGAIN!!!!! IF we keep scoring while playing good (not great) defense, we WIN. Score ONE FRICKING point to end the game with your "defensive unit" and YOU LOSE!!

And yet, once again, our defensive line up CONTINUES to give up points....so what the hell is the point of putting in your defensive unit!!!! If THEY CAN"T STOP ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frickin idiot coach

Sports Logo

I wonder if Carlisle's tendency to pull out the "hot offensive" player is a result of him deciding to put in more defensive minded players in hopes of holding the lead.

I'm not saying its the right thing...I'm just saying that I've seen that before.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I've thought Carlisle has played Sarunas a little 'short' in the last few games. Today it bit us. Sarunas has been in a bit of a slump lately so Carlisle got away with putting him on a short leash but today he was having a good game and deserved to stay in during the 4th qtr IMHO. To get the maximum benefit from a player like Sarunas, Carlisle is going to have to live with some things.

I thought Harrison could've gotten more minutes as well.

I don't think AJ was playing bad but today he was nothing special either. I suppose Carlisle would argue he had to pull Sarunas for defensive reasons during the last minutes of the game. That type of use of Sarunas, and when JO returns and going back to the JO ISOball game, will be why this is Carlisle's last season

I don't think he and Bird are on the same page. It's just a feeling I am getting from their comments. I'm not all that confident in my above prediction... But if we see us going back to JO ISOball upon his return then I'll feel fairly confident in that prediction (and I feel fairly confident we'll be going that direction because that is Rick's 'thing').

That all said... I don't have too many complaints about today. It was a close, competitive game. The defending champs had the moxie down the stretch to pull it out. Once again we played some good basketball without JO in the lineup.

No longer than this team has been together it isn't an embarassment to lose to the defending champs in the closing seconds. It was a shame though... because we had this game. I can't say we were outcoached... we were overcoached is more like it. Pop didn't do anything special to win... he let us lose it.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I've thought Carlisle has played Sarunas a little 'short' in the last few games. Today it bit us. Sarunas has been in a bit of a slump lately so Carlisle got away with putting him on a short leash but today he was having a good game and deserved to stay in during the 4th qtr IMHO. To get the maximum benefit from a player like Sarunas, Carlisle is going to have to live with some things.

I thought Harrison could've gotten more minutes as well.

I don't think AJ was playing bad but today he was nothing special either. I suppose Carlisle would argue he had to pull Sarunas for defensive reasons during the last minutes of the game. That type of use of Sarunas, and when JO returns and going back to the JO ISOball game, will be why this is Carlisle's last season

I don't think he and Bird are on the same page. It's just a feeling I am getting from their comments. I'm not all that confident in my above prediction... But if we see us going back to JO ISOball upon his return then I'll feel fairly confident in that prediction (and I feel fairly confident we'll be going that direction because that is Rick's 'thing').

That all said... I don't have too many complaints about today. It was a close, competitive game. The defending champs had the moxie down the stretch to pull it out. Once again we played some good basketball without JO in the lineup.

No longer than this team has been together it isn't an embarassment to lose to the defending champs in the closing seconds. It was a shame though... because we had this game.

-Bball
    Yes, if RC goes back to the ISO ball again, it'll be time to show him the door.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I suppose Carlisle would argue he had to pull Sarunas for defensive reasons during the last minutes of the game. That type of use of Sarunas, and when JO returns and going back to the JO ISOball game, will be why this is Carlisle's last season

-Bball
    I believe these comments are right on the money. Larry keeps talking about how much he is enjoying our ball movement and Rick likes the post up crap...and he WILL revert back. Larry also loves Sarunas and his ability to shoot, pass (great anticipation passes) and desire.

Larry should pull a Pat Riley and take over the team!

Water

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    Yes, if RC goes back to the ISO ball again, it'll be time to show him the door.
    After the, "at least", 3rd game he's lost this way, the door is probably already open!

And it is a shame! Because if he would just finish the game the same way he coached his team into a big enough lead to win....all would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    Part of the reason we won that Detroit game was because down the stretch, Carlisle was playing for the win, instead of playing "not to lose".

In the last few minutes of the game, I was getting the impression that Carlisle had reverted back to his old ways; playing "not to lose"...and that didn't exactly work out.
    I agree.I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. All he thinks about is getting stops instead of keeping the pressure on their defense.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Record Bball
    Once again we played some good basketball without JO in the lineup.
    Really man, it's getting old. We have yet to see how Jermaine will do now that we have the ability to really stretch the floor. Think back to the ECFs to that one game where Cro was knocking down those outside shots and pulling the Wallaces out of the paint so Jermaine and Al could pound away on the inside. Seems to me Jermaine has had to adjust his game because of deficiencies in our shooting and size (and injuries)—he's had to fill a lot of holes; a pretty big burden had been placed on his shoulders. I'd like to see how he performs now that Peja is here and David, Scot and Jeff are stepping it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Really man, it's getting old. We have yet to see how Jermaine will do now that we have the ability to really stretch the floor. Think back to the ECFs to that one game where Cro was knocking down those outside shots and pulling the Wallaces out of the paint so Jermaine and Al could pound away on the inside. Seems to me Jermaine has had to adjust his game because of deficiencies in our shooting and size (and injuries)—he's had to fill a lot of holes; a pretty big burden had been placed on his shoulders. I'd like to see how he performs now that Peja is here and David, Scot and Jeff are stepping it up.
    Yes.

Also, I think this offense needs Jermaine. Too many times do we hit Jeff or some other stiff on a cut to the basket, only to have them screw it up. This offense needs someone who can finish in the post. I think Jermaine will flourish, assuming Rick sticks with this offense....
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Pacesetter

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    We have yet to see how Jermaine will do now that we have the ability to really stretch the floor.
    If we'd have had JO today, we would have won this game by 12.