Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,697

    Default Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Probably going to be a quick one tonight guys.

    I came home & watched the replay a little bit ago & I have to ask a question.

    Did I hear Quinn Buckner right? Did he say that Jermaine was not handling the Pacers winning & new style very well emotionally? Alberts did a quick cover by saying that J.O. would work perfectly into this new system but by that time the cat was out of the bag.

    Am I the only person who heard that? It was in the first quarter for those of you that still have it on tape. I've already deleted mine but you can go back & hear it for yourself.

    What I took from that was that Jermaine was not mad or anything he was just hurt by the apperance that the team does better without him. At least that's what I hope he is thinking. That is human, that is understandable & that makes sense to me. I sure as heck don't want to think the guy is mad because they are winning without him.

    I'm not going to dwell on this because I don't want all of the replies to just be about that. J.O. looked a lot more involved on the bench from what I could see & on TV he looked like he was supporting the team.

    I just hope he tells Rick that he wants to be part of this.

    Let's move on.

    The bench was rotten to the core during this one. Not a single player came off of that bench & played worth a d@mn IMO.

    They're entitled to a stinker just like any other player is, but God let's just hope they don't do this as a group again. One player being off is fine we can even tolerate two but all five????? That's hard to overcome.

    But overcome it we did thanks to deadeye shooting from our backcourt & our starting three.

    A.J. was 10-14 Peja was 9-16 & Jax was 8-10 from the floor & very few of these shots were dunks.

    Now we are not going to shoot like that every night, in fact I doubt if we shoot that good many more games. But for this game it was all that was needed.

    In fact if you look at almost every stat across the board the Warriors beat us.

    They outrebounded us by 45-43 they had more fast break points than us & had more points in the paint. We did go to the line more often & we each turned the ball over the exact same amount of time.

    Due to foul troubles we went with a small lineup on several occasions which did not work out very well for us, but in this case I understand why Rick had to do this.

    Let's do the good the bad & the ugly for a change.

    The good.

    Anthony Johnson. He was the engine that made the car run. There is no better way to put this that I can think of. Whenever A.J. went to the bench we were in trouble. Whenever he was in the game he held the team together & he was the one thing you can not teach, practice or become. You either are or you are not & in this game he was. Clutch.

    He still looks like Beetlejuice from Howard Stern so that might make him in the ugly catagory. But his game sure as heck wasn't ugly.

    Peja. What can I say other than to admit over & over & over again to everybody. I was wrong.

    I didn't want him on our team, I thought that from a talent standpoint this was a horrid trade & that while I would have taken a bag of chips for Nutball I thought Peja was worse than a bag of chips.

    I couldn't have been more wrong if I tried. This guy is better at everything than I thought he would be. He is even a better shooter than I though & I always thought he was a good shooter. He is a superstar shooter. We have been blessed with some great pure shooters over the years here. Reggie, Eddie Johnson, Chris Mullin, Dale Davis (I kid, I kid) but Peja is better than all of them with maybe the exception of Reggie. Maybe. He hasn't hit the big time big game shots yet so let's see what he can do there.

    Caveat: Chris Mullin was a player at the end of his career when he was here so in fact as a young player Mullin was a better shooter but he had lost his quick release when he was here especially in year 3. But he could still deadeye shoot, just not under pressure anymore.

    Back to Peja. He is far more physical than I would have ever dreamed & his rebounding makes me drool. He had 8 boards in this game. Now Granger is going to out do him in the reboudning department eventually but that is no shame because I think evenatually Granger is going to outdo everybody in the rebounding departement on our team.

    Stephen Jackson. In one 30 second time frame Jackson took was was a wonderfull, joyous, spectular game. Wadded it up & pitched it in the trash can. Then he came back & redeemed himself (but only to a point)

    What am I talking about? Well, simple. He had played out of his mind good both on defense & offense. Then he got his 5th foul & Carlisle took him out of the game. First he waved Rick off, then after it was clear that Granger was going to come in he sighed & hung his head & stood there for a few seconds while Rick is waving for him to come out. He did go out but then stood there & yapped at Carlisle from his seat.

    I'm putting Jax's game into the good catagory. His game on the floor was great, probably the best game he has ever played overall here as a Pacer. He was a willing passer for a change, he held his own on defense, he didn't overdribble but on two occasions & he attempted to help on the boards. So I was very very pleased with his on court production.

    But this crap of yapping @ Rick everytime he comes off of the floor has got to stop. Obviously he has no respect for the coach because if he did he would not do this in front of his team, the fans & for God's sake the uppermanagement.

    I think it's time for TPTB to bring Jax into the office & lay it on the line with him. He does this again, it's a fine. He does it again after that & he loses his starting job for a game. Again he loses his starters spot for three games & after that he gets suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.

    Is this tough? Yes, yes it is. But by allowing him to do this crap it just shows other players that they can do it as well. Think A.J. leaving the floor slowly & getting that "T" I said that very night why shouldn't he be able to do it because Jax does this all of the time. What happens to Carlisle if Harrison or Pollard or Foster or Jones or pick any other Pacer starts doing this whenever. What happens when Jax refuses to come out of a game at all?

    It's time for the upper guys to step in & back up the coach on this.

    I hate to even do this because Jax played a heck of a game, but as we all know from the past three years. Just playing the game well isn't enough.

    Jeff Foster. 5-8 from the freethrow line. I'm more happy that he got to the line 8 times than I was with him hitting 5 times. Well I'm happy he hit them as well . He shut Diogu out, period. Ike looked small & insignificant compared to Jeff & there was a reason for that. He was. Foster as the Power Forward thrills me to death. The combo of Foster & Pollard makes me even more happy. I don't know what to do about Austin when he comes back. Well in a game like last night I think it would have been very helpfull to have him in there because of foul trouble. But I really like the tone that Pollard & Foster set out there.

    Scot Pollard. Hulk Hogan has nothing on him. He was legitimately p!ssed about blowing that play. Man I hate to see that. I mean nothing upsets me more than a guy caring about his job. Ok, that was sarcasm for those who could not detect it. Isn't it nice to see a guy be mad at himself for a change & not be mad at a ref? No honestly isn't that refreshing? In all honesty he was to hard on himself, even though he didn't grab all that many boards he sure as heck set the tone. He attacked the rim every chance he got & he was setting some bone crunching picks out there.

    The bad.

    Our bench.

    I'm not even going to point them out individually. Our entire bench stunk up the joint & yes that includes Granger who for whatever reason just could not get it going.

    Harrison was back in foul trouble, Jones couldn't hit the ocean from the deck of a ship & Saras was useless.

    It's best to just pretend these guys didn't play in this game & just move on.

    The ugly.


    I cold live the rest of my life without seeing this motion from this guy.





    Overall, this was another great win. Now we have the world champs coming to town on Sunday so I say let's give it to them & get # 5.

    BTW, I am not a believer yet. But I think I'm starting to lean that way.

    Now is the time on Odd toughts when we dance. Join me.


  2. #2
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    I don't remember Quinn saying that, but I do remember him constantly imploring the team to play "Eastern Conference basketball", in other words, halfcourt ball-control. I wouldn't be surprised if he sees this cutting offense as a gimmick, or feels that it won't work long term with a low-post scorer with poor passing skills.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  3. #3
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,268

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ed Grimley!!!

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  4. #4
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    [QUOTE=Peck]

    Did I hear Quinn Buckner right? Did he say that Jermaine was not handling the Pacers winning & new style very well emotionally? Albert's did a quick cover by saying that J.O. would work perfectly into this new system but by that time the cat was out of the bag.

    I didn't hear it. It could have been said though.

    I'm not going to dwell on this because I don't want all of the replies to just be about that. J.O. looked a lot more involved on the bench from what I could see & on TV he looked like he was supporting the team.

    I think the Pacer players sometimes come on here to see whats said about them. If so he took it to heart.

    I just hope he tells Rick that he wants to be part of this.

    He said that last year. And they played that way while he was coming off the bench. But once he was back to starting it slowly faded away.

    Peja. What can I say other than to admit over & over & over again to everybody. I was wrong.

    I didn't want him on our team, I thought that from a talent standpoint this was a horrid trade & that while I would have taken a bag of chips for Nutball I thought Peja was worse than a bag of chips.

    I couldn't have been more wrong if I tried. This guy is better at everything than I thought he would be. He is even a better shooter than I though & I always thought he was a good shooter. He is a superstar shooter. We have been blessed with some great pure shooters over the years here. Reggie, Eddie Johnson, Chris Mullin, Dale Davis (I kid, I kid) but Peja is better than all of them with maybe the exception of Reggie. Maybe. He hasn't hit the big time big game shots yet so let's see what he can do there.

    I thought he would take Reggie's place and do better than the old Reggie except for the clutch shots. I'm thinking now, who could we have realistically got that would have been better for us? And just think, if we could have got him two years ago when Bird first wanted him, Reggie would have been on one wing and Peja on the other.


    Jeff Foster. 5-8 from the freethrow line. I'm more happy that he got to the line 8 times than I was with him hitting 5 times.

    Jeff's hitting .656 from the line while his career average is .616. I think he's been doing a lot better than earlier in the year. At one point I think he hit 20 some in a row. And whats up with all his yapping now? I don't recall him ever yapping as much as he has been doing lately.

    Thanks Peck! Good post!

  5. #5
    Nude Poster Shack80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    326

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Peck, I hav ebeen a lurker on this site for a long time. Mostly becuase of your posts. Great job and thanks man.

  6. #6
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Peja can do a lot of things, but 9/10 times, clutch shot-making isn't one of them, unfortnately. Doesn't mean I'm not thrilled to have him, however.

  7. #7
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    7,012

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    I understand the frustration about Jack's reaction to coming out of the game and I, too, would love for any residue of that type of attitude or whatever to disappear. However, I think with SJ in that case it was just him being so into the game and playing so hard that he just wanted to be out there helping us win. And, with all due respect to Peja and AJ's great games, without Jack, we definitely don't win that game. He got us off to the big lead with great play in the 1st and got some important points to slow down GS's momentum late. Jack's game is all about passion and I think he's really having a positive affect on the team during this win streak. He's been sharing the ball much more and notably communicating with and supporting his teammates. IMO his defensive abilities have been consistently undervalued since he got here. To sum up, I think you have to accept some bad with the good for every player. Jack's performance while we were struggling deserved scrutiny and criticism and if he returns to that I'll be the first to say he's gotta shape up. But I think expecting absolute perfection from him or anyone is unfair. I would rate his play throughout the win streak as stellar.

  8. #8
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,843

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quinn often has trouble articulating exactly what he wants to say, so I wouldn't read too much into what you heard. I was at the game, so I have no idea what he said.

    Peck, your point about Peja being a better shooter than you thought, brings a couple points to my mind that I want to make about him.

    He is taller than he looks on TV, he is maybe a half inch shorter than Foster, they were standing next to each other last night and I had a good look at it to judge the heights, and he is basically the same height as Jeff.

    That height enables him to get his shot off over about anyone. (one thing I learned from reading the Kings forum is that teams had more success defending Peja with smaller really quick guys who can get right up into Peja as opposed to the bigger guys who tried to just bother his shot. Peja's release is so high and it is so quick he is tough to defend.

    Rick made a great point after the game. Peja can score 25 points in a game without really having the ball much. Rick didn't say this, but that is a lot like Reggie.

    The interesting thing about peja's shot. Have you noticed most of the time when he misses, he misses really bad, it will slam off the rim, or be wide right or left, or even hit the side of the board. But when he makes it it sure looks sweet. He rarely hits the rim and.

    Peja is better than I thought too.



    Peck, I agree with you about Jax, he did almost ruin a great game. He and Peja sure play well together though, but then Reggie and Jax played pretty well together too.

    I know I don't need to say this, but Jax and Artest together was a disaster, it created a tug of war of sorts, then you add in J.O and Tinsley, wow that was a disaster just from an on court chemistry situation.


    Peck, I agree with you about Cro, I don't know they should do with Cro. I mentioned this yesterday Scot can play and start during this stretch of games because there are off days in between, but look at March, there are tons of games, and I don't think he'll hold up physically during March. So Cro will be needed. But that changes things. at center

  9. #9

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mentioned this yesterday Scot can play and start during this stretch of games because there are off days in between, but look at March, there are tons of games, and I don't think he'll hold up physically during March. So Cro will be needed. But that changes things. at center
    Very good point. Maybe the same can be said for Jeff Foster who no longer seems able to take the pounding for long stretches either.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did I hear Quinn Buckner right? Did he say that Jermaine was not handling the Pacers winning & new style very well emotionally? Alberts did a quick cover by saying that J.O. would work perfectly into this new system but by that time the cat was out of the bag.

    Am I the only person who heard that? It was in the first quarter for those of you that still have it on tape. I've already deleted mine but you can go back & hear it for yourself.
    "A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest." Simon and Garfunkel, I think.

    You are way too hung up on your thesis that JO is a selfish goof who can't stand the Pacers winning without him. You correctly point out that Jack almost ruined his best game as a Pacer with stupid stuff - I feel the same way about this thread: Would have been a cogent report, but I could have done without your featuring yet another unsubstantiated attack on JO. I'm not the greatest fan of JO's game, but your needless nagging is making me one. Why not let it rest until he comes back and does whatever it is he is going to do on the court?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peja can do a lot of things, but 9/10 times, clutch shot-making isn't one of them, unfortnately. Doesn't mean I'm not thrilled to have him, however.
    Part of this is that there were always other people who took the shots.
    Pedja has hit some and missed some more.
    We gave a clean slate to Ron - untill he proves us wrong and it is going good so far.
    If You do that with Pedja and there is no reall reason not to - You just might get surprised
    Vulpes pilum mutat, non mores!

  12. #12
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,843

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by piksi
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Part of this is that there were always other people who took the shots.
    Pedja has hit some and missed some more.
    We gave a clean slate to Ron - untill he proves us wrong and it is going good so far.
    If You do that with Pedja and there is no reall reason not to - You just might get surprised


    I wonder how much that one shot he missed late in game 7 WCF against the Lakers hurt Peja's reputation. I think it has hurt it more than it should have for two reasons. One it was a key shot and he missed it so bad. But many fans forget he was injured most of that series.

    One thing Peja will do if nothing else, he will draw a good defender and that good defender won't ever leave him open that alone is a benefit to his team.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder how much that one shot he missed late in game 7 WCF against the Lakers hurt Peja's reputation. I think it has hurt it more than it should have for two reasons. One it was a key shot and he missed it so bad. But many fans forget he was injured most of that series.

    One thing Peja will do if nothing else, he will draw a good defender and that good defender won't ever leave him open that alone is a benefit to his team.
    he was injured and just played because he couldn't watch anymore. It is funny but everyone keeps saying how he is soft and can't handle pain. If he sat out those series there wouldn't have been any blame but he wanted to help. It wasn't a key shot because Kings missed 16 FTs in that game. Webber, Vlade & co just plain and simple choked on the line but Pedja is expected to hit every three he takes rather than just make a free throw.

    Pedja has hit big shots and he has missed big shots. If Your coach draws up the play and Pedja gats the ball - he will take the shot. He will either make it or not just like every other player.

    Also - trust is the big issue. If You know that Your team trusts You - You tend to step up more than not

    Pedja is a veteran player used to winning. If he is healthy - he is an all star.
    If used properly - he can be extremely effective (You have seen some glimps of that). He is neither a ball hog nor a volume shooter.

    One thing - he constantly needs is being pushed by coach and teammates. He is very coachable and unselfish especially considering his limited touches in the game.

    One of not too many player in this league who will be guarded on the perimeter even if he is 0-10 at that moment. He draws the best defender and he is a zone buster just like Reggie was for You guys. He will never be a superstar mostly because his physical limitations but again if You use him properly and he stay healthy - You guys can be really, really good.
    Vulpes pilum mutat, non mores!

  14. #14
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,044

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    I think Peja gets a bad rap for game 7 against the Lakers.

    I want to know this, when did Reggie Miller ever come up huge in a game 7? Basically all of his clutch moments came early on, or midway in the playoff series.

  15. #15
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,101

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    I've got it on Tivo. I'll check and see if Quinn actually said it.





  16. #16
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,697

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest." Simon and Garfunkel, I think.

    You are way too hung up on your thesis that JO is a selfish goof who can't stand the Pacers winning without him. You correctly point out that Jack almost ruined his best game as a Pacer with stupid stuff - I feel the same way about this thread: Would have been a cogent report, but I could have done without your featuring yet another unsubstantiated attack on JO. I'm not the greatest fan of JO's game, but your needless nagging is making me one. Why not let it rest until he comes back and does whatever it is he is going to do on the court?

    I'll make sure in the future to only post what I think you'll want to read.

  17. #17
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,697

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got it on Tivo. I'll check and see if Quinn actually said it.





    Well??????

  18. #18

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Just want to jump in to defend Jack.

    He waved Carlisle off at the end of the 1st when he was feeling it. He was making plays during the whole quarter and wanted to finish off the 1st 12 minutes.

    After the 5th foul he was pissed at Bavetta because he got mugged at the top of the key and didn't get the call. He fouled Davis simply to argue and when he got to the bench he was complaining to anyone that would listen, as to not offend Bavetta directly.

    One other thought, the best part of Peja's game is how smooth those 23 pts were. Nothing is really forced from the guy and I think this may be slowly rubbing off on Jack. What a trade. We basically got 2 new players.

  19. #19
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,307

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    If Peja continues to show this kind of game the rest of the year and
    he helps team chemistry this much then I say pay the man.
    Max if necessary.

    In effect he takes the role of Reggie only at a much younger age. Peja is
    29 and should have a good 5 years left in him.


    owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  20. #20
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,697

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats all a problem.

    Being made is fine, but stupid and disrespecting is coach is not.

    I always knew he was a gangster.

  21. #21
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    7,012

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Jack can irritate sometimes, but it's obvious that he's playing team ball, being a good teammate. High fiving, recognizing good passes leading to his scores, making good passes for scores, and generally supporting and encouraging his team. I still think some people are overly critical of him given that it's obvious that he's making the effort to play with a better attitude conducive to winning compared to when things were in complete disarray. Is he perfect? No. Is anybody else on this team? No.

  22. #22
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,101

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well??????
    I don't have access to it until tomorrow. (Too complex to explain why.) Just view it as a government operation.

  23. #23
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,101

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by bnd45
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After the 5th foul he was pissed at Bavetta because he got mugged at the top of the key and didn't get the call. He fouled Davis simply to argue and when he got to the bench he was complaining to anyone that would listen, as to not offend Bavetta directly.
    It does make a huge difference if he was complaining about Bavetta and not complaining about Carlisle.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...
    Did I hear Quinn Buckner right? Did he say that Jermaine was not handling the Pacers winning & new style very well emotionally? Alberts did a quick cover by saying that J.O. would work perfectly into this new system but by that time the cat was out of the bag.

    Am I the only person who heard that? It was in the first quarter for those of you that still have it on tape. I've already deleted mine but you can go back & hear it for yourself.

    What I took from that was that Jermaine was not mad or anything he was just hurt by the apperance that the team does better without him. At least that's what I hope he is thinking. That is human, that is understandable & that makes sense to me. I sure as heck don't want to think the guy is mad because they are winning without him.

    I'm not going to dwell on this because I don't want all of the replies to just be about that. J.O. looked a lot more involved on the bench from what I could see & on TV he looked like he was supporting the team.

    I just hope he tells Rick that he wants to be part of this...
    Sorry if I rubbed salt into wound, couldnít resist. The problem might arise when he comes back. As a leader he can force the offense go thru him. That can clog the more up-tempo style the team has been playing recently, which happened in lace w:st="on">Sacramentolace> when Webber returned back from his knee injury. He didnít want to be part of the offense we were running, he wanted to be the one. What can I say I still cheer for CWebb no matter where he is. More importantly, hope everyone stays happy or at least accepts their playing time.

  25. #25
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably going to be a quick one tonight guys.
    This was the only thing I disagreed with, because you followed it with:

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I came home & watched the replay a little bit ago & I have to ask a question.

    Did I hear Quinn Buckner right? Did he say that Jermaine was not handling the Pacers winning & new style very well emotionally? Alberts did a quick cover by saying that J.O. would work perfectly into this new system but by that time the cat was out of the bag.

    Am I the only person who heard that? It was in the first quarter for those of you that still have it on tape. I've already deleted mine but you can go back & hear it for yourself.

    What I took from that was that Jermaine was not mad or anything he was just hurt by the apperance that the team does better without him. At least that's what I hope he is thinking. That is human, that is understandable & that makes sense to me. I sure as heck don't want to think the guy is mad because they are winning without him.

    I'm not going to dwell on this because I don't want all of the replies to just be about that. J.O. looked a lot more involved on the bench from what I could see & on TV he looked like he was supporting the team.

    I just hope he tells Rick that he wants to be part of this.

    Let's move on.

    The bench was rotten to the core during this one. Not a single player came off of that bench & played worth a d@mn IMO.

    They're entitled to a stinker just like any other player is, but God let's just hope they don't do this as a group again. One player being off is fine we can even tolerate two but all five????? That's hard to overcome.

    But overcome it we did thanks to deadeye shooting from our backcourt & our starting three.

    A.J. was 10-14 Peja was 9-16 & Jax was 8-10 from the floor & very few of these shots were dunks.

    Now we are not going to shoot like that every night, in fact I doubt if we shoot that good many more games. But for this game it was all that was needed.

    In fact if you look at almost every stat across the board the Warriors beat us.

    They outrebounded us by 45-43 they had more fast break points than us & had more points in the paint. We did go to the line more often & we each turned the ball over the exact same amount of time.

    Due to foul troubles we went with a small lineup on several occasions which did not work out very well for us, but in this case I understand why Rick had to do this.

    Let's do the good the bad & the ugly for a change.

    The good.

    Anthony Johnson. He was the engine that made the car run. There is no better way to put this that I can think of. Whenever A.J. went to the bench we were in trouble. Whenever he was in the game he held the team together & he was the one thing you can not teach, practice or become. You either are or you are not & in this game he was. Clutch.

    He still looks like Beetlejuice from Howard Stern so that might make him in the ugly catagory. But his game sure as heck wasn't ugly.

    Peja. What can I say other than to admit over & over & over again to everybody. I was wrong.

    I didn't want him on our team, I thought that from a talent standpoint this was a horrid trade & that while I would have taken a bag of chips for Nutball I thought Peja was worse than a bag of chips.

    I couldn't have been more wrong if I tried. This guy is better at everything than I thought he would be. He is even a better shooter than I though & I always thought he was a good shooter. He is a superstar shooter. We have been blessed with some great pure shooters over the years here. Reggie, Eddie Johnson, Chris Mullin, Dale Davis (I kid, I kid) but Peja is better than all of them with maybe the exception of Reggie. Maybe. He hasn't hit the big time big game shots yet so let's see what he can do there.

    Caveat: Chris Mullin was a player at the end of his career when he was here so in fact as a young player Mullin was a better shooter but he had lost his quick release when he was here especially in year 3. But he could still deadeye shoot, just not under pressure anymore.

    Back to Peja. He is far more physical than I would have ever dreamed & his rebounding makes me drool. He had 8 boards in this game. Now Granger is going to out do him in the reboudning department eventually but that is no shame because I think evenatually Granger is going to outdo everybody in the rebounding departement on our team.

    Stephen Jackson. In one 30 second time frame Jackson took was was a wonderfull, joyous, spectular game. Wadded it up & pitched it in the trash can. Then he came back & redeemed himself (but only to a point)

    What am I talking about? Well, simple. He had played out of his mind good both on defense & offense. Then he got his 5th foul & Carlisle took him out of the game. First he waved Rick off, then after it was clear that Granger was going to come in he sighed & hung his head & stood there for a few seconds while Rick is waving for him to come out. He did go out but then stood there & yapped at Carlisle from his seat.

    I'm putting Jax's game into the good catagory. His game on the floor was great, probably the best game he has ever played overall here as a Pacer. He was a willing passer for a change, he held his own on defense, he didn't overdribble but on two occasions & he attempted to help on the boards. So I was very very pleased with his on court production.

    But this crap of yapping @ Rick everytime he comes off of the floor has got to stop. Obviously he has no respect for the coach because if he did he would not do this in front of his team, the fans & for God's sake the uppermanagement.

    I think it's time for TPTB to bring Jax into the office & lay it on the line with him. He does this again, it's a fine. He does it again after that & he loses his starting job for a game. Again he loses his starters spot for three games & after that he gets suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.

    Is this tough? Yes, yes it is. But by allowing him to do this crap it just shows other players that they can do it as well. Think A.J. leaving the floor slowly & getting that "T" I said that very night why shouldn't he be able to do it because Jax does this all of the time. What happens to Carlisle if Harrison or Pollard or Foster or Jones or pick any other Pacer starts doing this whenever. What happens when Jax refuses to come out of a game at all?

    It's time for the upper guys to step in & back up the coach on this.

    I hate to even do this because Jax played a heck of a game, but as we all know from the past three years. Just playing the game well isn't enough.

    Jeff Foster. 5-8 from the freethrow line. I'm more happy that he got to the line 8 times than I was with him hitting 5 times. Well I'm happy he hit them as well . He shut Diogu out, period. Ike looked small & insignificant compared to Jeff & there was a reason for that. He was. Foster as the Power Forward thrills me to death. The combo of Foster & Pollard makes me even more happy. I don't know what to do about Austin when he comes back. Well in a game like last night I think it would have been very helpfull to have him in there because of foul trouble. But I really like the tone that Pollard & Foster set out there.

    Scot Pollard. Hulk Hogan has nothing on him. He was legitimately p!ssed about blowing that play. Man I hate to see that. I mean nothing upsets me more than a guy caring about his job. Ok, that was sarcasm for those who could not detect it. Isn't it nice to see a guy be mad at himself for a change & not be mad at a ref? No honestly isn't that refreshing? In all honesty he was to hard on himself, even though he didn't grab all that many boards he sure as heck set the tone. He attacked the rim every chance he got & he was setting some bone crunching picks out there.

    The bad.

    Our bench.

    I'm not even going to point them out individually. Our entire bench stunk up the joint & yes that includes Granger who for whatever reason just could not get it going.

    Harrison was back in foul trouble, Jones couldn't hit the ocean from the deck of a ship & Saras was useless.

    It's best to just pretend these guys didn't play in this game & just move on.

    The ugly.


    I cold live the rest of my life without seeing this motion from this guy.





    Overall, this was another great win. Now we have the world champs coming to town on Sunday so I say let's give it to them & get # 5.

    BTW, I am not a believer yet. But I think I'm starting to lean that way.

    Now is the time on Odd toughts when we dance. Join me.

    Other than that, great post.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •