Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers have found their point guard.

Default Pacers have found their point guard.

I've seen enough. I'm ready to award Anthony Johnson as the Pacers starting point guard for at least the rest of this season, and maybe for the next couple of seasons. I don't care if Tinsley comes back, I don't care if Tinsley gets healthy, stays healthy and plays well. AJ is the Pacers best player at that position. Yes I phrased that carefully and purposely.

Is Tinsley more talented than AJ, yes, but he is never healthy, and he won't fit into the Pacers current style. Tinsley likes to dominant the ball, he likes to make the scoring pass, he won't be effective or happy playing this style of quick ball movement.

Face it, this is the style most if not all of you want, so lets play the players who excel in this style. Players who are willing to move the ball, and players who can play well without the ball. Tinsley is horrible player without the ball. Tinsley simply cannot do that. Don't force him to try to do something he's not good at.

Tonight AJ was just great. For those of you who used to love to point out AJ's plus/minus, I dare you to look at what it was tonight. Whenever he went out of the game tonight the Pacers fell apart. He was the most valuable player without question. AJ may not be pretty, but he's effective and a lot better than most of you are willing to admit. Is he a point guard, Does it really matter, in this current style you don't need a classic point guard. You can't have it both ways. If you want to play this style you you have to play the players who are most effective in this style.

Let me make a few comments about the game tonight. The starters played well, but the bench struggled. Jax scored 30 point on 10 FG attempts, that is incredible.

Peja scored 6 huge point midway through the 4th that staved off one of the Warriors runs.

Peja is a lot better player than I thought. His floor game, rebounding, passing, and basketball IQ is just much better than I thought

Did you see Pietrus tonight, he was impressive, would have loved to have gotten him.

Default Re: Pacers have found their point guard.

Your love fest for Sarunas is over? I have no problem with AJ starting, at least you are not just handing over our starting PG spot to a rookie this time.

Can AJ keep this up though? I hope so.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

I'm all for whats best for the team. And if that means that AJ should be the starter, than I'm ok with that.
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I 100% agree. One thing about AJ that is overlooked, he is a great finisher around the rim.

With Saras and Tinsley, you can expect them to occasionally miss a contested "lay-up." With AJ, don't count on it. This guy looks to be in his prime and I am glad he is a Pacer.

Let's not forget he is also one of the better defenders as far as point guards go.

Aj and Runi are our future. Forget Tinsley, he can rot on the bench I could careless. I wouldn't mind trading Tinsley to a horrible team for a 1st round draft pick at this point.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

He is solid but not good enough for goals that Pacers should have with this roster. One or 2 games don't make a player. PG is still the weakest position that You guys have on both ends of the floor.
    Vulpes pilum mutat, non mores!

Quote Originally Posted by piksi
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is solid but not good enough for goals that Pacers should have with this roster. One or 2 games don't make a player. PG is still the weakest position that You guys have on both ends of the floor.

Yeah, but I don't really think there's a PG out there better than him that is available right now. I think he is our PG until we can draft a better one.... or until he starts sucking again.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Peja scored 6 huge point midway through the 4th that staved off one of the Warriors runs.

Peja is a lot better player than I thought. His floor game, rebounding, passing, and basketball IQ is just much better than I thought
    despite of what people might think of Pedja - You don't get to be 3 times all star and 2nd team all NBA just for shooting. Also Pedja has had 7 winning seasons. This year just sucked in many ways for him and the Kings.

I'd have to say AJ really proved me wrong on some things. He set the tone and helped us get a quick start. Runi has been struggling and AJ really helped us pull it together. I'm hopin he can keep this up.

Jack has been making up for those 6-20 FG nights. He was FIRE ALL NIGHT! He and Peja are "meshing" very well. They rack up assists while playing together.

Peja, another good night for him. He made HUGE shots during crunch time that also helped us tons. He put us up 89-80 with the 3 and the 3 pt play.

Young guns definetly struggled a bit but having AJ step up made up for a good portion of it. Fred, Danger, Runi and Hulk combined for 4 of 21 FGs.

We won though. Four straight. Spurs on Sunday

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's not go overboard here. AJ is solid, but a healthy Tinsley is a better individual player.

With that said, I think Tins should work his way back in from the bench when he returns. If he can play better than AJ in this system and stay healthy, then he should get the starting spot back. But Tins has to earn it back now, as far as I'm concerned.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I agree that AJ is playing well, but as someone has mentioned in the past...AJ is good for scoring in a game like this about once a month, maybe. I will accept Tinsley's time being up on this team from injuries alone, but I'm not buying into all this tripe about the other stuff like his attitude and not being able to run a free flowing offense.

My bottom line is, If Tins has to go...then find another starting point guard because I'm not sold on AJ, or anyone on this team for the long term.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Yeah, but I don't really think there's a PG out there better than him that is available right now. I think he is our PG until we can draft a better one.... or until he starts sucking again.
    I agree. It is hard to get good PG these days. AJ is solid but going in the POs with AJ/Sarunas is not something that gives confidence.

AJ's only knock is his inconsistency. He played great today and as one of AJ's biggest critics I couldn't find much to criticize tonight. If he continues his elevated play for a while, I would have no problem making him the full time point guard until Tinsley earns it back from him.

Aj only plays bad when we dump it into Jermaine and that is not him playing bad, it is just him doing nothing.....like the rest of our team when we do that.

Aj has always fluorished when our team is "under manned"

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore
    Aj only plays bad when we dump it into Jermaine and that is not him playing bad, it is just him doing nothing.....like the rest of our team when we do that.

Nah, I would have to disagree. During that wonderful 6 game losing streak...AJ looked pretty pathetic, and JO was no where to be found, except on the bench!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Negative.

AJ has had plenty of horrid games when JO wasn't in the offense.

LAPacer

What was that quote from Pulp Fiction?

"Ok, gentlemen, let's not suck our .....s just yet."

Sure AJ had a great game, and we are on a 4 game win streak. But come on, we are talking about AJ!!! I loved his game tonight, but something is telling me, he might not have another game like that again this season.

I still think a healthy Tinsley should start. This is like saying, "We are winning with Pollard so we don't need O'neal". I like the way we are playing but Tinsley has proven to be more consistent then AJ in the past. (Just as JO is consistently better than Pollard).

So even though we are playing great. With our current lineup of AJ and Pollard, this team will run out of gas. A team with Tins and JO can go deep in the playoffs.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know why some seem to be surprised the way AJ has been playing. He did the same thing last year in March and April. He QB'd the Pacers to the postseason.

Is Tinsley the better all-around player? Yes. The problem is, he can't stay on the floor.

Hopefully AJ can keep this up. He should keep his starting job until he loses it himself.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    AJ is solid, but a healthy Tinsley is a better individual player.

You know that means nothing. Haven't we learned anything over the past 2 years. The Pacers went "the better individual player route" And that approach crumbled. I say let's try to get players who can play together and fit in to make the overall team better

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    Negative.

AJ has had plenty of horrid games when JO wasn't in the offense.
    Yeah but weren't we running the same offense, with Jackson simply becoming mini Jermaine.

You know that means nothing. Haven't we learned anything over the past 2 years. The Pacers went "the better individual player route" And that approach crumbled. I say let's try to get players who can play together and fit in to make the overall team better
    Yes but you haven't seen Tinsley in this style of offense. Tinsley may not be the best half court PG in the league but this style of up-tempo offense plays to Tinsley greatest strengths. I have no problem keeping AJ at the starting PG position until Tinsley earns it back. A little friendly competition never hurt anybody.

Yes but you haven't seen Tinsley in this style of offense. Tinsley may not be the best half court PG in the league but this style of up-tempo offense plays to Tinsley greatest strengths. I have no problem keeping AJ at the starting PG position until Tinsley earns it back. A little friendly competition never hurt anybody.
    exactly!!!!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Yes. Keep players that fit the team, draft players tha fit them team. Eventually, we'll become a good club again, but this time as a team.

Yeah but weren't we running the same offense, with Jackson simply becoming mini Jermaine.
    There were games where AJ played worse then Gill and it wasn't because of Stephen Jackson. Like I said, AJ's biggest fault is his inconsistency. He's like Stephen Jackson at point guard..Both guys are incredibly inconsistent but when they are playing well, they play damn well.

I question whether Tinsley is willing to play this style. And I certainly question whether he can be effective. Tinsley won't have the ball as much as he used to, or maybe I should say he won't have the ball for as long stretches of time. And as I said earlier, Jamaal is not effective when he doesn't have the ball.

But really all this means nothing, he can't stay healthy, so why mess with the chemistry to oput a guy back into the lineup who will be injured again after 15 games or so