Thread: Going to grad school?

Default Going to grad school?

Sigh...5am and I've been awake for the past hour and a half.

Thought I'd mention that I'm putting together my application for grad school for the Fall. I'm looking at switching from juvenile probation to counseling. It's something I've always wanted to do, so we'll see. Took my GRE last weekend and I'm working on the personal statement.

I'm not sure I'll be able to make it work financially, but I figure at 37 it might be getting close to my last shot at it before I'm pretty well stuck with my current career. Not sure how our family of four will make it, but hey things usually work out, don't they?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Default Re: Going to grad school?

Are you applying to IU? Good luck with that man. I totally respect that. Plus, it's time you finally got educated at a real school.

Har har.

Yeah, I'm applying to IU. I'm not even bothering to apply anywhere else, b/c I'm certainly not going to move the whole fam just for school. I thought about IUPUI, but I guess my level of commitment isn't that high.

Do you have a post grad degree, McS?

Thanks for the kind words that were hidden in there as well.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

I'll be going to law school in the fall of '07. My LSAT's will likely determine where, but hopefully somewhere out here. The big boys (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia) aren't entirely outside the realm of possibility assuming I have an out-of-body experience taking the LSAT's.

I've heard the University of Pheonix Online has a nice cirriculum, too.........

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Har har.
    Sorry the many years of indoctrinated hatred are hard to let go. Seeing this just makes my blood boil:

Do you have a post grad degree, McS?
    No. I have considered it, but feel my autodidactic studies are best served here, online.

Thanks for the kind words that were hidden in there as well.
    You go, boy.

I'll eventually be going to grad school (in 2+ years), since it's practically a necessity in my area (Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences). I'd need a master's to be a speech-language pathologist, an AuD to be an audiologist, or a PhD for a research career. Not too much you can do with just a bachelor's. I'm still not sure which direction I'll go, though.
    Dean Winchester: It takes two to... you know, have hardcore sex.

One of my sister's best friends is an Audiologist. Did quite well for herself. I'm pretty sure she did all her AuD studies at Butler.
    Anyway, your new 'do is sassy, Kat.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    One of my sister's best friends is an Audiologist. Did quite well for herself. I'm pretty sure she did all her AuD studies at Butler.
    Anyway, your new 'do is sassy, Kat.
    That's good to hear (about being an audiologist). It's the career choice I'm most drawn to at this point, since it's a little geekier and more technical than being an SLP but more hands on and practical than research. It seems to strike a good balance with my personality.

And thanks for the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    Not too much you can do with just a bachelor's. I'm still not sure which direction I'll go, though.
    Same here.

I second the motion on loving the new do. New hair, new avy, new attitude? Totally kicky!

I second the motion on loving the new do. New hair, new avy, new attitude? Totally kicky!
    Thank you!

Mood

I'll be finding work right after I finish my undergrad work. I plan to get my masters after I have at least a couple of years under my belt in the field.

What are ya major'n in there, Hicks?

sweabs

Good luck, VT. I also respect what you are doing.

I'll be going to grad school to get a Masters in Sports Management after next year. I can't wait, as it will definitely be a big change from the 4 years of non-stop history I've almost completed. I'm most looking forward to the internship possibilities, that will allow me to work with NBA franchises - and I hope to work myself up from there.

I've always wanted to be a teacher, but the job opportunities are not so great in Ontario especially these last couple of years. And since I've always had a dream of working in the NBA somehow, I figure this is the best path. Maybe I can get the Toronto GM position someday? Hah.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    What are ya major'n in there, Hicks?
    Elementary Education.

That Toronto front office used to be a pipeline from IU, with Glen Grunwald, Isiah, and I think even Patrick Knight did some time there. So, maybe you should think about Bloomington if your serious about the GM position, RC. Although, maybe the memories of Glen and Zeke aren't great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Elementary Education.
    Ah, yes. I remember reading of your recent trials by fire. My dad was a elementary principal for 37 years.

Right now I'm working on doing well on my MCATs, and then applying to med schools over the summer. It's such a pain in the ***, and I hate my life right now.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I am a graduate student... Good luck... some say its the hardest time of your life... At some times I believe it... No one cares (for better or worse)
    Here, everyone have a : on me