Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How...... unceremonious.

Default How...... unceremonious.

Tonight was supposed to be my last night at Pizza Hut. Uncharacteristically, I waited until I got home half an hour ago to call to see what my hours tonight were.

A girl I never met who works there answers.

"This is Mark, can you tell me when I need to be in tonight?"

"Let me check."

(Minute later) "This may sound stupid, but are you sure you work here?"

"Uh, yeah lol I'm sure. Actually, this was supposed to be my last day."

"Well you're not on the schedule."

"Hmm. Well, that's wierd because *explains he'd talked with gen. manager that he could work last week and today before being done*"

(Her talking to manager away from phone)

"Mark wants to know his hours, but he's not on the schedule."

"Then he doesn't need to come in."

She relays the message to me.

"Oh. OK. Thanks. Bye."

*click*

----------------------------

And just like that, I'm done. I'm not upset or anything, but it's just ..... wierd. That never happened to me the 7 months I worked there, so for my would-be last day to end like that, it's just... strange. And I've been in a wierd mood / daze all day to begin with, and my day got wierder as it went along, so this just compounded that feeling of strangeness. Mmm.

Default Re: How...... unceremonious.

Wow. that's odd. No warning or anything huh? Just a "Then he doesn't need to come in." . Weird

The retail/food services industry is a wonderful place.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My job sucks even worse, and I've been working there almost 5 years now.

I started out making $7.50 as a manger. Over time, I manged to get to $10.00, which is where I'm currently at. However, I was stuck at $9.75 for over a year before I finally asked for a raise (which I hate to do), and got that last quarter. That was about 2 years ago.

When I started going back to school, obviously, my availability dwindled. I actually rearranged my school schedule to open up my availability, allowing me to work Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays, but was still only getting my 4 hours every Sunday shift. Blah. Last week, my boss admitted that the reason I was getting so few hours was becuase my rate of pay was so high, and offered to give me more hours if I would be willing to take only $8.00. She said she didn't want to insult me, but how am I supposed to feel? That's only 50 cents more than I STARTED making FIVE YEARS AGO! And there's no guarantee the hours increase will even be significant or consistent enough to offset the hourly loss.

So, now I go in to get my schedule and see that I'm not even scheduled this week at all. I almost feel like I'm being forced to take the $8.00 offer. Way to be loyal to someone who has bailed you out of a continuous string of jams over the years, including the three times the current manager has flipped out and quit, only to be welcomed back due to the fact that nobody else is willing to do the same job for the same amount of money as he does. And he's bipolar and on meds, so you know it's going to happen again.

And this, my friends, is just a small sampling of why my life is hell.

Btw, didn't mean to hijack your thread, Hicks, but I was just about to start a thread about this and yours seemed like a pretty similar situation.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tonight was supposed to be my last night at Pizza Hut. Uncharacteristically, I waited until I got home half an hour ago to call to see what my hours tonight were.

A girl I never met who works there answers.

"This is Mark, can you tell me when I need to be in tonight?"

"Let me check."

(Minute later) "This may sound stupid, but are you sure you work here?"

"Well you're not on the schedule."

"Hmm. Well, that's wierd because *explains he'd talked with gen. manager that he could work last week and today before being done*"

(Her talking to manager away from phone)

"Mark wants to know his hours, but he's not on the schedule."

"Then he doesn't need to come in."

She relays the message to me.

"Oh. OK. Thanks. Bye."

*click*

----------------------------

And just like that, I'm done. I'm not upset or anything, but it's just ..... wierd. That never happened to me the 7 months I worked there, so for my would-be last day to end like that, it's just... strange. And I've been in a weird mood / daze all day to begin with, and my day got wierder as it went along, so this just compounded that feeling of strangeness. Mmm.
    Ahh, Pizza Hut.

You were supposed to hook me up with some free Pizza. Richmond ain't that far of a drive....
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

What do you do, Shade?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I make a measly 6.00 an hour, right now.

I made minimum wage. Shut up.

*can't quite bring myself to paste a smilie here but I wasn't dead serious so I'm typing this*

I should clarify that the manager I heard in the background is different from the general manager I'd talked with last week.

I made minimum wage. Shut up.

*can't quite bring myself to paste a smilie here but I wasn't dead serious so I'm typing this*
    Dang, a smilie would have saved you something like 20 words too.

Well, consider working in a place for FIVE YEARS and only getting a net raise of 50 cents. How long would you stay at that job?

Besides, I have bills to pay, as well as food and gas.

Let me put it this way: From school, I get about $2000 net back to live off of for 16 weeks (off my loan). My base expenses, which are rent, phone, cable (need internet access for my classes...and PD, of course ), utilities, food, and gas are about $175 a week. That's a total of $2800, and doesn't include other school expenses, car repairs, clothing, etc. Hell, even if I wanted to eat more, I can't afford to! Weight loss through poverty.

18to88

Well reading these should make everyone stay in school. I only get $7.50 but I have the easiest job in the world. Plus I'll be out of school in a year and I should be doing alright after tht.

sweabs

Did you actually say "lawl"???????

Eh, be glad to be rid of Pizza Hut, Mark.

I'm desperately trying to get rid of my current job and line up something else. In fact, I had an interview tonight for a custodial position that would permanent, 2nd shift, with benefits and everything. And it's not as bad a pay cut as I was expecting. So *fingers crossed*
    Dean Winchester: It takes two to... you know, have hardcore sex.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And just like that, I'm done. I'm not upset or anything, but it's just ..... wierd. That never happened to me the 7 months I worked there, so for my would-be last day to end like that, it's just... strange. And I've been in a wierd mood / daze all day to begin with, and my day got wierder as it went along, so this just compounded that feeling of strangeness. Mmm.
    Normally I don't go around grammar policing, but this one is one of my HUGE pet peeves. It's supposed to be wEird. And I know my grammar isn't perfect by any means...feel free to flame away...

Um, so, you're saying you didn't get to meet Jessica Simpson?

Damn, after all the work I did to make sure she'd be there.

Eh, just as well. Don't want to get Brad jealous.

[edit] Wierd.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    [edit] Wierd.
    I saw that coming...

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Man, I was going to vent about my job after a long week, but after seeing this thread, I cant bring myself to do it.

My job is to basically watch paint dry, but I make $18.63/hr
    Die.

awww that sucks...

It's probably for the best...
    here's best wishes in your new endeavor..

12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Die.
    I thought I had it good getting 10-15 dollars an hour...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Die.
    After a cost of living adjustment you're probably not too far apart....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

That's only 50 cents more than I STARTED making FIVE YEARS AGO! And there's no guarantee the hours increase will even be significant or consistent enough to offset the hourly loss.
    Dude you've got to leave that job. You should be seeing an annual wage increase of at least 3% per year, so you're getting screwed.

"Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

From my experience, I think that's pretty typical, unless it's a place where you've worked a long time/made really good friends. Most jobs just end, there isn't much of a bang.

The strangest way I ever left a job: I was once terminated via voicemail. The company I worked for filed Chapter 11, and that same afternoon, fired all 6500 employees via voicemail. The brought in rent-a-guards to supervise us as we cleaned out our desks and left. The sad thing was that I had just gotten a promotion and raise the day before.

"Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

Mood

so you're the one that bankrupted them!

My last job I worked as a Vacuum Truck Asistant Operator in the Alberta Oil Fields. Pretty much it meant that I was the B!tch of the truck. I would have to get into tanks and clean them. They contained some of the worst stuff you can imagine. One of the substances that we had to deal with apparently is the worst known substance to man that causes cancer.

On one occasion I was in a tank that they were pumping excess oil into and I was in there to get the sand out. Before each trip into a tank my driver would say: "If you get dizzy or feel weird, just drop everything and get out ASAP." I always just agree and hop in. On this particular day I went down and was shovelling about 2 feet of sand into a 4 inch vacuum hose. It is a pain in the butt to do and I was just getting frustrated. All of a sudden I started turning my head and looking around and everything was getting blurry and had trails behind it. I dropped the shovel and climbed out and collapsed on the top of the tank. My driver asked what was up I told him and he went to get me a half mask (which is pretty much what painters wear when they paint a car) and hopped back into the tank. Just as I was starting again the oil started up again and shot me directly in the face. Once again I dropped everything and got out quick.

From there I had to go back to the truck change overalls, glasses, masks, gloves, t-shirt, whip the oil off of my body and helmet and of course get back into the tank and finish the job.

At that point I was only making $12/hour to be doing one of the most dangerous jobs in Canada. I got up to $15/hour in one pay jump but I was tired of my company's bull and the way they treated me when one of my dispatchers said: "F\/ck You" to me, right on the spot I told him to find someone else cause I quit.

This is the Truck I worked on
    Attached Images Attached Images