Thread: Real reason we are dominating - Pollard

Default Real reason we are dominating - Pollard

Indiana Pacers center Scot Pollard enjoys starting. His job is to defend and rebound, something he's doing with success lately.

He also knows his starting time could end at any point. When it happens, he won't complain.
    "I'm there for now -- until the star player (Jermaine O'Neal) gets healthy or the lineup changes, the dynamics change or the coach decides he wants to do something different," Pollard said. "I think that's a lost thing. I'm not trying to give myself any credit whatsoever. I think a lot of NBA guys don't understand that.

"To be a good player, you understand when the coach makes a change and decides to go with someone else. . . . I think a lot of guys take it personal and they pout and get upset. I'm not like that. I'll be getting myself ready for my next opportunity."

Going into Wednesday's game against Portland, Pollard had pulled down at least 12 rebounds in two of three games. Then, against Portland, he grabbed 16 rebounds in 211/2 minutes. He has started five of the past six overall.

"We put him in the starting lineup against the Lakers (on Feb. 1), mostly because of matchups and health issues," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "That group played well together, so we just stayed with it. It allows us to bring our younger players (such as David Harrison) off the bench, which helps with the energy."
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/602090441

Just an article - But I feel the main reason we have dominated so badly in the past 3 games is Scot Pollard. He gets us off to a fast start every game, both offensively and defensively. In each of the last 3 games, Pollard has gotten off to an insane start putting up Ben Wallace type numbers on steroids. Last night against the Blazers, he got all 16 of his rebounds in 13 minutes of play and seems to score all his points in the first quarter when we usually can't buy a bucket. He had our first 6 points against Detroit and pulled down 14 rebounds against the Wallace duo as well. If Pollards level of this type of play continues when we have our entire team intact, watch out every team in the east. We've needed a guy to dominate the boards for quite some time now and it would appear Pollard is stepping up to that job. Heres to hoping the basketball gods show us some mercy and keep him healthy all the way through the playoffs.

Gamble

Default Re: Real reason we are dominating - Pollard

I still don't understand why he couldn't plays this well in the
    last 2 years. I guess God is good to us in our time of need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't understand why he couldn't plays this well in the
    last 2 years. I guess God is good to us in our time of need.

I think he just has a warped sense of humor, I think he is building us up to just once again pull the rug and laugh and laugh at just how gullable we are.

Scott was very useful player as a King. Unfortunately, he seems to be unable to stay healthy for the longer stretches of the time
    Vulpes pilum mutat, non mores!

Default Problems Began

Actually I think our problems began with that commercial where the Pacer fans are putting on the 18th green in a storm and the Boston fan is in the clubhouse laughing at him and then the Boston fan gets struck by lightning and then you hear something like "GOD LOVES PACER FANS". Yes I think we really ticked him off with that and have been cast into Pacer hell for 2 years.
    We must seek redemtion.

Maybe Pollard's philosophy towards playing a role and being a team-oriented guy has been contagious lately. I know you can't expect everybody to handle that extreme of a position about accepting reduced playing time and all, but it's refreshing to hear. Some semblance of that attitude appears to be permeating our recent play. Artest and his monster baggage are finally outta here. Much more team oriented. This is what needs to continue. If it's the system, the trade, whatever, just keep it going. If everyone adopts this mindset, integrating JT and JO back could be a reasonably smooth transition. Too idealistic perhaps?

Pollard is a reason, not the reason. It's a team effort and he's a contributor to that.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Isn't this a contract year for Pollard?

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov
    Pollard is a reason, not the reason. It's a team effort and he's a contributor to that.
    He is the reason we are dominating..Not just winning.

Dominating is blowing people out.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    He is the reason we are dominating..Not just winning.

Dominating is blowing people out.

I stick to what I said. He's one of the reasons.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Yeah, Now who got screwed in that Pollard-Miller deal??

I really think it's been a combination of Pollard getting comfortable in the system and getting healthy enough to contribute nightly.

Hulk power
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I'm glad someone else noticed this. I love seeing Jeff and Scot in the game together, it seems like it fits the great shooters we have perfectly, kinda like the glory days of AD and D2.
    Our big men aren't scorers shooting fadeaway jumpers, they are cutting to the hoop and looking for the rebound as top priority. When we have JO in there shooting fadeaway jumpers, that is -1 big man that isn't gonna get a rebound. I'd rather leave the fadeaway jumpers to the shooters.

Pacesetter

Pollard has been larger than life. He's a battler in the truest sense of the word. But honestly, I believe the team in general has started to gel. Maybe it's because Artest is gone and the circus type crap is being pushed to the side for the seriousness of the business. You can see it on Granger's face as well as Pollard's, Foster's, Sarunas', Peja, etc ... everybody is gelling, and coming together the way teams oughta. Playin good ball is just the end result of all the hard work all these players are puttin out. I hope they all keep it up, this is alot of fun!!!!

stipo

Pollard is the reason for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by stipo
    Pollard is the reason for the season.
    HO Ho HO

Thought I'd post this here: QOD.

Is Pollard’s Surge Related To Peja’s Arrival?

Friday, Feb. 10, 2006

QUESTION
    OF THE DAY

Conrad Brunner

Q. Scot Pollard's recent play has been inspiring and he's looking a lot like the player I had initially hoped we were getting when we traded Brad Miller. I noticed that the play seems to coincide with Peja's arrival. Did these two have a previous friendship, could it be Pollard feels more comfortable with Peja in the lineup, or is it merely a coincidence? (From Larry in Terre Haute, Ind).

A. They have a friendship that dates back to Stojakovic's first season in the NBA and Pollard's first with the Kings, 1998-99, and they were teammates for five seasons. Pollard has an engaging, offbeat personality. Stojakovic is much quieter. But the two meshed very well both on and off the court; in fact, Pollard regularly refers to himself as Peja's "translator" and will reprise that role in a special Valentine's Day chat on Pacers.com.
    Pollard's surge in performance does coincide with Peja's arrival. He has 43 rebounds in those four games and has produced his three most productive games with the Pacers in that category (12, 14 and 16). But there are other factors involved.
    For one, Pollard's health is as good as it's been in a couple of months. His problematic back is allowing him to play much more freely and aggressively. The team also has adopted a more free-flowing style that suits both players better. It's much closer to what both Pollard and Peja were used to in Sacramento and a departure from the Pacers' original rigid halfcourt approach. In other words, the new Pacers look a lot more like the old Kings, and that has worked wonders for both Sacramento transplants – as well as the team as a whole.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Either way. SCOT STRIKES AGAIN. not as much tonight but just enough

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    Either way. SCOT STRIKES AGAIN. not as much tonight but just enough
    Yeah he got us off offensively again. Didn't dominate the boards like I'd hoped, but nonetheless, any contributions are greatly appreciated.

9 pts but only 3 boards but he had some foul trouble. Did good defensively though.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Listening to the radio on the way home from tonights game, Jackson gave a ton of credit to Pollard and Foster for our recent stellar play.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
    The team also has adopted a more free-flowing style that suits both players better. It's much closer to what both Pollard and Peja were used to in Sacramento and a departure from the Pacers' original rigid halfcourt approach.
    Yes, his health is a big factor. But don't underestimate this, at all. To be polite, Scot was completely lost when he first came here. Completely lost, period. Of course, if he weren't healthy now, he wouldn't be able to play like this. But if we were running the old ball-control system, he wouldn't be anywhere close to this effective.

Also, a comment on the bit in the top article about just doing what the coach wants. Peck compliments Gill for not complaining. That's nothing. Scot really deserves props for how he's handled these 3 years here. Sure, logically speaking, he shouldn't complain if he's hurt and he can't fit into the coach's system, but a lot of guys would, and at least I've never heard him do that.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!