Thread: past history- a great team that couldn't win for years

Default past history- a great team that couldn't win for years

When I was little I was a baseball fan. My team was one of the best in the league.

They went to the world series and lost.

The next year they were wrecked by injuries. The year after that they went to the world series and lost, again.

The next year they were way better, and had the best record in the league. They lost in the playoffs to a near-0.500 team.

The next year they had a great record but narrowly lost their division, and under the rules of the time missed the playoffs.

5 seasons of being one of the best teams in the league, the best record overall I think, and ZILCH to show for it in the postseason.

The next year they improved still more. Racked up 108 wins. Earned the nickname "The Big Red Machine" and lots of people chuckled how the big red machine must have a choke that sticks in the playoffs.

Well after 5 years of being the best team that couldn't win anything, they won the world series. They they won another.

Nobody remembers the 5 years of relative failure. They remember the mid 70s Cincinnati Reds as a near-dynasty.

I'm not a Colts fan, but the situation you are in is a lot like the Reds circa 1975. Maybe they can break through.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: past history- a great team that couldn't win for years

I thank you for the words of encouragement.

We can only hope.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

We will win! And when we do, it'll make all the disappointments that much sweeter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I was little I was a baseball fan. My team was one of the best in the league.

They went to the world series and lost.

The next year they were wrecked by injuries. The year after that they went to the world series and lost, again.

The next year they were way better, and had the best record in the league. They lost in the playoffs to a near-0.500 team.

The next year they had a great record but narrowly lost their division, and under the rules of the time missed the playoffs.

5 seasons of being one of the best teams in the league, the best record overall I think, and ZILCH to show for it in the postseason.

The next year they improved still more. Racked up 108 wins. Earned the nickname "The Big Red Machine" and lots of people chuckled how the big red machine must have a choke that sticks in the playoffs.

Well after 5 years of being the best team that couldn't win anything, they won the world series. They they won another.

Nobody remembers the 5 years of relative failure. They remember the mid 70s Cincinnati Reds as a near-dynasty.

I'm not a Colts fan, but the situation you are in is a lot like the Reds circa 1975. Maybe they can break through.
    I can never get too down about the Colts, or Pacers for that matter. Why? Because I've been a Reds fan since I was 9 years old. (1987). Sure, we won it all in 1990 (which helped me thru a bad year, since my father passed away that year) but they've been pure crap the last 10 years, really, with the exception of 95 & 99. BTW, for a great forum on the Reds, (like this one), check out redszone.com. I've learned a lot about "sabermetrics" and stuff from the geeks (and I mean that in a good way) there.