Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: All-Star Skills Competition

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default All-Star Skills Competition

    Havent found the participants on here yet so I thought I would post the information.

    NEW YORK, Feb. 7, 2006 – The star-studded field for the 2006 PlayStation® Skills Challenge features the contest’s defending champion and 2004-05 NBA MVP Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns, the Cleveland Cavaliers’ LeBron James, rookie Chris Paul of the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets and Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat. The event will be held on NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by AOL, Feb. 18 at the Toyota Center in Houston.
    Having debuted during NBA All-Star 2003 in Atlanta, the fast-paced event features four players competing in a two-round timed “obstacle course” consisting of dribbling, passing and shooting stations. All players must observe basic NBA ball-handling rules while completing the course. The two players with the fastest times from the first round advance to the finals with the order of competition determined by inverse order of the first round times.

    Nash, a four-time All-Star, currently leads the league in assists with 11.1 per game. James, the youngest player in NBA history to reach 5,000 career points (21 years, 22 days on Jan. 21, 2006) is averaging an impressive 30.9 points, 6.5 assists and 6.9 rebounds. Paul, a three-time 2005-06 T-Mobile Western Conference Rookie of the Month leads all rookies in most categories, including points (16.3 ppg), assists (7.8 apg) and steals (2.2 spg). Wade, recently named a starter for the 2006 Eastern Conference All-Star Team, is averaging 27.0 points, 6.9 assists and 2.0 steals.
    http://www.nba.com/allstar2006/skills_060207.html

    LeBron James
    Steve Nash
    Dwayne Wade
    Chris Paul

  2. #2
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    well that's a good field.

  3. #3
    Member Pacers#1Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    That may be more entertaining than the dunk contest this year.

  4. #4
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,468

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Yawn. The "skills" contest is the most borry event ever created. Two ball was better than that. LaBron and the other "stars" are to afraid to lose face in the dunk contest, so they settle for this?

  5. #5
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Interesting group of entrants this year - unlike the past with your typical point guards.

    I still see Steve Nash winning it, however.

    Don't you have to shoot a 3 pointer in the competition, or is it a free throw? If it's a three, that could take some seconds off D.Wade's time.

  6. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,072

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yawn. The "skills" contest is the most borry event ever created. Two ball was better than that. LaBron and the other "stars" are to afraid to lose face in the dunk contest, so they settle for this?
    Disagree.

    It's more embarrasing for people to see you can't execute a simple bounce-pass than it is a dunk, wouldn't you say?

    I love the skills contest. It's the most unerrated part of the weekend, IMO. A fundamentals contest.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #7
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Nash will win

  8. #8
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Nash should blow them away.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  9. #9
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Just like in the NBA day in and day out, the dunks get a lot more attention and hype than fundamentals. Looking bad in the dunk contest would hurt their 'cred' much more than losing the skills competition. Nature of the beast.

  10. #10
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disagree.

    It's more embarrasing for people to see you can't execute a simple bounce-pass than it is a dunk, wouldn't you say?

    I love the skills contest. It's the most unerrated part of the weekend, IMO. A fundamentals contest.
    Yea while the endless missed dunks of David Anderson seems to have been the beginning of the end, watching Baron Davis and the like miss easy passes and open jumpshots is much more embaressing.

    Hopefully those other competitors can actually provide Steve Nash with some challenge this season.

  11. #11
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That may be more entertaining than the dunk contest this year.
    Watching Geezer cut his toenails would be more entertaining than the dunk contest!

  12. #12
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching Geezer cut his toenails would be more entertaining than the dunk contest!
    Correction, Watching Geezer try to get his short little arms to his feet because his back is so bad would be more entertaining than the dunk contest!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    London
    Age
    35
    Posts
    88

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by skyfire
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea while the endless missed dunks of David Anderson seems to have been the beginning of the end
    Maybe next year Skyfire...

  14. #14
    Chest Rockwell
    Guest

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    LaBron and the other "stars" are to afraid to lose face in the dunk contest, so they settle for this?
    To quote Bill Simmons, "LeBron entering the dunk contest is the equivalent of Mariah Carey signing up for American Idol." If you want to see LeBron dunk, watch a Cavs game for 5 minutes.

  15. #15
    Kestas
    Guest

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yawn. The "skills" contest is the most borry event ever created. Two ball was better than that. LaBron and the other "stars" are to afraid to lose face in the dunk contest, so they settle for this?
    I would like to see this skills thingie. dunk contest, on the other hand, is a closed topic imho. is there a dunk not seen before?
    on the other hand, why only 4 players? in dunking as well I think. this is ridiculous imho.. there should be 10 at the very least to make it interesting.

  16. #16
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Kestas
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there a dunk not seen before?
    It is getting difficult...which is why I was so impressed with JR Smith's first dunk last year (switch hands, while in mid-air, behind the back - tomahawk). That was a perfect dunk, in my opinion.

    Nowadays, it seems like the set-up or pass for the dunk is becoming more creative than the actual dunk itself (see Amare Stoudamire & Steve Nash - 2005, or Fred Jones - 2004). I guess it's up to the judge as to whether they deem that pass/set-up as part of the dunk.

    As I've said before - it's gotten to a point where it's tough to impress me now in these contests. I'll take the in-game posterize dunk every time.

  17. #17
    Kestas
    Guest

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    As I've said before - it's gotten to a point where it's tough to impress me now in these contests. I'll take the in-game posterize dunk every time.
    absolutely! a prepared dunk sucks. if one want to see those, there are touring groups that only do dunks (like Slam Nation).
    skills are the different matter. there are people who dunk absolutely, totally unbelievably, yet they never played proffessionaly, coz they can't play. skill makes NBA players who they are, not the freaking dunking. that's why I would like to see the skills contest with those mentioned players.
    my countryman Katelynas comes to mind. he won dunking contest during the all-star NCAA day last year. after that he got some recognition, participated in the draft, failed, came to an average Italian team and got fired a few months into the season because of very bleak performance. no idea where he's playing right now.
    anyways, dunking is for the game. with the speed, deffense, passing. that's where true skill lies.
    or at least there should be more contestants involved. even we in Lithuanian league all-star games have more contestants for the mini-tourneys. btw, we don't do the same thing each year. there was once dunking for hight (certain Javtokas (rights belong to Spurs) repeated the world record that time), the next year there was a contest on the distance of the dunk. I don't know, these things may sound like some athletics competition (and it really has the same system with three attemts for each hight/distance and stuff like that), but it drags in remarkably well! brilliant stuff. and no one can tell that judges were stupid when we went backt to regular dunking contests for a few years now they really paled compared to the more imaginative afairs we had before.
    and there are not too many first league teams in LTU, so we usually have one contestant for each tourney from each team (I think). that adds to the spirit of competition as well.

  18. #18
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,468

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    The skills contest is just as contrived as the dunk contest. The "skills" take place in unrealistic settings and have as much to do with a real game as the dunks do. The 3 point contest is as close as any of them get to showing true skill.

  19. #19
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,072

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The skills contest is just as contrived as the dunk contest. The "skills" take place in unrealistic settings and have as much to do with a real game as the dunks do. The 3 point contest is as close as any of them get to showing true skill.
    "unrealistic settings?"

    Dribbling around obstacles, completing accurate bounce-passes, and pull-up shooting is "contrived?"

    It's a contest of dribbling, passing and shooting. If you don't get what that means, I don't have much left to argue with you over.

    I personally love the skills contest. I have fun trying to figure out which player is the most complete offensive guard.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  20. #20
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: All-Star Skills Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disagree.

    It's more embarrasing for people to see you can't execute a simple bounce-pass than it is a dunk, wouldn't you say?

    I love the skills contest. It's the most unerrated part of the weekend, IMO. A fundamentals contest.
    agree and yeah Nash will win, Chris Paul will surprise a lot of people.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •