Thread: All-Star Memories

Default All-Star Memories

Found this on NBA.com http://www.nba.com/allstar2006/moments_joneal.html

Jermaine O'Neal's All-Star Memories

It's Gotta Be the Shoes

The best memory for me is three years ago in Atlanta, Michael Jordan's last All-Star Game. Being able to play with him was great. He signed his last pair of All-Star game shoes and gave them to me, so that has to be the most memorable moment for me. I told him in the locker room, "I'm gonna steal either your jersey or your shoes, so give me one of them."

He gave me the shoes because he wanted to keep his jersey. Michael Jordan is the greatest player to play the game and his influence on basketball and on people's lives meant so much, so it meant a lot to me to have the opportunity to get that last pair of shoes.

A few years before that, when I was in Portland, he did an interview about me with a reporter out there. He said that he liked what he saw and that I just had to keep getting better. That meant a lot and that is still in the scrapbook. Anytime that Michael Jordan says anything good about you, you gotta think that the sky's the limit, because it doesn't get any better than him.

A Magical Return
    There are so many memories... The year that Magic Johnson came back from HIV and had an unbelievable game. That was a real memorable situation because he was going through a lot, he had been out for a while and came back, and he still looked like Magic Johnson. Unless you're in the same situation, you don't know what he's going through, but you know he's going through a lot. You can't really feel what he's going through but you can just admire the heart and the dedication that he puts in. Even today, he's keeping himself healthy and he's educating other people about that particular disease.

For him to be out there playing at the level that he played and all the guys showing him the love that they showed him during and after the game, it was a real emotional moment. You remember those types of moments the rest of your life.

The First Time
    The first time you're an All-Star is the most unbelievable feeling. My first one was in Philly four years ago and I could not sleep. Everything was new to me and I was fairly new to that scene. When I first got into the game, I just wanted to dunk everything I could. That's the first opportunity to really show the world on an elite stage what you can do. It was the most unbelievable feeling and it just makes you want to keep getting that feeling over and over again.

This Brings up the question of what is your favourite All-Star memory?

Mine personally is Jordan's Atlanta finally when he hit what should have been the game winner.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: All-Star Memories

Jon Bender in the dunk contest.

House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

JO's first game, Tinsley's behind the back move in the Rookie game, Fred winning the slam dunk contest

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is it limited to just the Pacers? If so, then it would be Freddie Jones winning the Dunk Contest. If we can go beyond the borders of the Pacers, Vince Carter's Dunk Contest performance was AMAZING. Larry Legend's three-point victory when he said, "Who's coming in second?" is great, but I don't remember actually seeing it as I was too young.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Isiah and Magic combining for 37 points and 37 assists in the 1984 all-star game, my 2nd favorite of all time.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it limited to just the Pacers?
    Not limited to the Pacers. Just your favourite All Star weekend memory or memories

A few-
    Magic post HIV announcement, winning the MVP after being guarded by all the east greats in the final few minutes, including Jordan, Bird, Isiah...

Kobe Bryant's dunk in 1998? All-Star game in NYC.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

sweabs

My favourite all-star memory: having JO and Ron both participate in the game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    A few-
    Magic post HIV announcement, winning the MVP after being guarded by all the east greats in the final few minutes, including Jordan, Bird, Isiah...

Kobe Bryant's dunk in 1998? All-Star game in NYC.
    The Magic game is my favorite All-Star memory too. The ending was just great.

Also never forget the Jordan-Dominique dunk contest, where Nique absolutely got robbed in Chicago, nor the dunk contest when it came back from a 3 year hiatus, and Vince Carter had some incredible dunks.

hoopburners

Was JO's fave all-star moment the same all star game with Jordan where he was called a late foul on Kobe that sent the game into overtime, on which Jordan shot an incredible shot on a previous play?

Quote Originally Posted by hoopburners
    Was JO's fave all-star moment the same all star game with Jordan where he was called a late foul on Kobe that sent the game into overtime, on which Jordan shot an incredible shot on a previous play?
    Yeah same game that JO was called for the stupid non-foul on the 3 point shot by Kobe

FRED JONES! WHO!? FRED JONES!! 04 DUNK CHAMP

and JO's first All-Star game as a starter