Thread: Signatures too big

Default Signatures too big

I can let slide the height of some of them, but I'm seeing a lot of animated files now, and together they add up to way more than our 150kb limit. PLEASE self-police yourself on this for now, or we'll have to remove them ourselves. They're sweet sigs, but they need to get trimmed down when they hog the bandwidth like some are.

Thanks!

- Hicks

Default Re: Signatures too big

How big can they be?
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

18to88

But height is the annoying part!

Bah. I've cut it down to something like 152 kb. If being just barely over is a huge problem, just holla, I'll take out two of the pics...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

If you had sigs turned off, it wouldn't matter.

It's amazing how much more enjoyable the forum is with sigs off.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Anthem, I'm not sure if that was meant for me or not, but if so, yes, it does matter because it's a resource hog for the server that PD is on (which costs more money for the host).

1: the limit is 150 and there are also height and width rules (mostly for aesthetic reasons).
    2: Some more explaining (yet again) about the "why":

Let's suppose 10 ppl post in a thread, and let's not count the content of the post or the avatar. but just the sigs, let's also assume they are all 150 Kb in size, that means that anyone reading the thread has to download 3 Mb just to get the sigs in.
    Now not only do I pay for traffic out, but let me sugest that a thread is read 100 times @ 3 Mb = 300 Mb of traffic, remember 1 thread; 10 posts only then realize we have 25 posts on a page, and see the size of some threads, then you will perhaps realize the enormous amount of data transferred, just to have a fancy sig.
    On top of that, there are more places in the world then your local community with it's nice and fast broadband, some places can not get broadband, and you don't have to leave the USA for that, some ppl can not afford, ever tried downloading a page 3 M big on a dialup modem @ 56k ?

Yes turn of avatars, turn of sigs, but you know what? a text sig can make more of a statement then a pic, and everyone can read it without crashing their connection.

thanks for your understanding
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

The file size is much smaller than the limit. Technically the entire thing is "taller" than the limit, but I'm usually pretty loose on that rule unless the sig is a big distraction. I don't think yours is.

Hicks, that was a generic "you," not a personal "you."

It's just amazing to me. The forum's infinitely more readable without signatures. I'm willing to bet that in most cases, if a person tried the forum without signatures for a week, they'd never go back.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Well yeah, but it's not about that. It's about the bandwidth they take up for the server. See able's reply.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hicks, that was a generic "you," not a personal "you."

It's just amazing to me. The forum's infinitely more readable without signatures. I'm willing to bet that in most cases, if a person tried the forum without signatures for a week, they'd never go back.
    Mr. T and Chuck Norris disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Mr. T and Chuck Norris disagree with you.
    They can read? :shocked:

Enjoy your time at PD!

Awesome avy hicks! Has the color version been posted anywhere?

No color version due to filesize. I had to make it as-is to keep it at 150kb.

Peja_16

is mine ok?

The forum's infinitely more readable without signatures.
    I didn't see anyone backing you up, so I thought I would step up. I agree 100% with Anthem. I turned off sigs about a year ago since I surf some at work (I didn't just say that, did I?) and it is the best thing ever. Around Christmas I forgot my password and had to not login for a bit (therefore loosing my custom settings) and let me say that it was a big change. I appreciate the humor in many of the sigs, but the different colors and all the extra scrolling was just too much.

That being said, it is personal opinion. Main thing I wanted to do is remind folks that you can select whether you want to see all the animated gifs of Pokemon or not.

Adblock is nice too. I use it on toratora all the time.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't know if you guys noticed, but sigs only appear once per page now. I doubt the difference is as great as you guys are saying now.

If you had sigs turned off, it wouldn't matter.

It's amazing how much more enjoyable the forum is with sigs off.
    You're right. I had to turn them off cause my computer had trouble loading those fancy userbars and other stuff (due to a slow internet connection). It really is a big difference.

However, I do feel I'm missing some of the fun when not able to read sigs. All those inside jokes...
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Banned

testing