Thread: Conrad: Is Peja Better Suited To Fill Reggie’s Shoes?

Default Conrad: Is Peja Better Suited To Fill Reggie’s Shoes?

QUESTION
    OF THE DAY

Conrad Brunner

Q. Now that the Pacers have gotten Peja in the lineup, do you not agree that he is a much better fit to fill the shoes of Reggie? I remember that Stephen Jackson was supposed to be the heir to Reggie and was going to fill that position. If you look at lifetime stats and achievements with shooting, free throws, and 3-point shooting, Peja was meant for that role. (From John in San Miguel De Allende, Mexico)

A. There is a huge difference between filling the shooting guard position and filling Reggie Miller's shoes. Stephen Jackson has experienced ups and downs as the new starter but he was not expected to replace Reggie's presence. It's possible Jackson is struggling with the pressure of following Reggie, which could be contributing to his inconsistency. Even so, he has had a productive season. His statistics (15.6 points, 4.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.23 steals) surpass Reggie's averages in any of the previous three seasons.
    What Reggie brought to the team was not measured by individual statistics. Even in his final seasons, he was a shooter that struck fear into the hearts of opposing players and coaches, a threat that required an adjustment to the defensive gameplan. Jackson does not bring that same reputation to the floor, but that's not exactly shameful. Few players in today's NBA do so. If you're disappointed in Jackson because he hasn't been Reggie, your expectations have been misplaced. Stojakovic is one of the best 3-point shooters in NBA history in the prime of his career and also is a true professional who quietly leads by example. Those qualities, he shares with Reggie. But it's unreasonable to expect any player to assume sole responsibility for Reggie's role. You don't compensate for the loss of a player of his impact by plugging in a different player. If it is to be done, it must be done collectively.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

Default Re: Conrad: Is Peja Better Suited To Fill Reggie’s Shoes?

That's as cuddly as a bunny.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Everything doesn't have to be dark.

Quote Originally Posted by microwave oven
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    That's as cuddly as a bunny.

-Bball
    Please clarify yourselves.

Sorry...I miss Reggie, it makes me sad that he's gone.

cuddly as a bunny: the message seems to be that Jax is great. Peja is great. Reggie was great. We are wrong to expect more from Jax. All is well.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    cuddly as a bunny: the message seems to be that Jax is great. Peja is great. Reggie was great. We are wrong to expect more from Jax. All is well.
    Ah the sarcasm. Fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Everything doesn't have to be dark.
    I'm not sure he really answered the question:
    "(D)o you not agree that (Peja) is a much better fit to fill the shoes of Reggie (than Jackson)?

Based on stats, and what we've seen so far (including demeanor), the answer is 'yes'.

As I read it-
    The question was not whether Peja or Jackson -would- fill Reggie's shoes... it was whether Peja had a better chance of it.

Conrad didn't seem to want to give them obvious answer tho. So we got some happy-speak about everyone.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I agree he dodged the question to a (maybe large) degree. I think aside from the legacy, he brings what Reggie did (oh, and of course he won't hit clutch 3's). But you know? What he DOES bring ain't bad. At all. I want us to re-sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I'm not sure he really answered the question:
    "(D)o you not agree that (Peja) is a much better fit to fill the shoes of Reggie (than Jackson)?

Based on stats, and what we've seen so far (including demeanor), the answer is 'yes'.

As I read it-
    The question was not whether Peja or Jackson -would- fill Reggie's shoes... it was whether Peja had a better chance of it.

Conrad didn't seem to want to give them obvious answer tho. So we got some happy-speak about everyone.

-Bball
    I agree he didn't really answer the first sentence of the question: do you not agree that he is a much better fit to fill the shoes of Reggie?

But he did respond to: I remember that Stephen Jackson was supposed to be the heir to Reggie and was going to fill that position.
    Where he mentions both Jackson's stat-wise productive season and his inconsistency.

And he also responded to: If you look at lifetime stats and achievements with shooting, free throws, and 3-point shooting, Peja was meant for that role.
    Where he compares what Reggie brought to the team and what Peja is expected to bring.

Not just happy-speak in those answers. A fair analysis IMO.

Gamble

It may be fair but most people with 2 eyes and optic nerve connecting
    them to their brains can see that Jackson is a disappointment.
    I mean he compares Reggie stats in his late 30's to Jacksons late
    20's. Jackson is not suited for this team in long run and it's a
    shame he isn't as bright of a player as even FJ.

In Sjax' defense... It's not really fair to be making comparisons to Reggie in such a direct way. And (importantly) we shouldn't overlook what he can/should bring to defense over what we had with Reggie.... especially in later years.

But as far as a well-rounded and centered player goes, a player that seems able to (so far) stay in the flow of the game and still get his points, Peja seems closer to the Reggie model than SJax does. I've said a thousand times Reggie's biggest problem (IMHO) was his inability to bring his "A" game 'every' game (and when his shot wasn't falling, pick up another area(s) of his game). It remains to be seen if Peja as a Pacer can do that.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the whole reggie comparison is stupid.

As Hicks said, regular old Peja isn't bad. He shouldn't have to become Reggie Miller. He should just have to be the best Peja he can be.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Reggie didn't start to get his clutch reputation until he was in his late 20's. Any old timers disagree?

PCC87

Conrad is always VERY pestimistic.I really don't like him very well....