Thread: Hornets pick up Steven Hunter for 2 second round picks

Sports Logo

Default Hornets pick up Steven Hunter for 2 second round picks

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/sports....xml&storylist=

76ers trade Steven Hunter to Hornets

2/1/2006, 10:44 a.m. CTBy JEFF LATZKE
    The Associated Press
    OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Philadelphia 76ers traded center Steven Hunter to the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday for two second-round draft picks.

It's the Hornets' second trade in a 24-hour span in an attempt to reinforce their front line following the dismissal of forward Chris Andersen last week for violating the NBA's drug policy.

"We were real small," coach Byron Scott said at the team's shootaround. "We've gotten bigger in a matter of minutes."

Hunter, a 7-footer, is averaging 4.9 points and 3.4 rebounds in 35 games with the 76ers this season. A first-round pick by Orlando in 2001, he played three seasons with the Magic and one with Phoenix before signing with Philadelphia as a free agent before this season.

"We're excited. We bring in another athlete, a 7-foot athlete, 24 years old who runs and jumps and does a lot of the things that we want here," Scott said. "I think he'll fit in extremely well."

The Hornets are giving up their 2006 and 2007 second-round picks and will also receive cash considerations from Philadelphia. On Tuesday, the Hornets acquired Aaron Williams from Toronto for their other 2006 second-round pick and a 2009 second rounder. Williams is expected to be in uniform for New Orleans' game against Chicago on Wednesday night.
    The Hornets have two first-round picks in this year's draft, including one they received from Milwaukee when they swapped Jamaal Magloire for Desmond Mason in the preseason.

"We were able to get a young center that we feel is going to get much better and better, that's shown improvement," Scott said. "He had his best year in Phoenix playing the type of basketball that we play. And then we got a veteran in Aaron Williams. We've still got our first-round picks."
    Unlike Williams, who played for Scott in New Jersey for more than three seasons, Hunter may take longer to fit in.

"There'll be an adjustment for Steven because this is an offense that he hasn't done," Scott said. "But again, once we get him in, we'll go over it every single day with him just to try to get him as comfortable as possible. ... I don't think it'll take him real long because one thing that we do a lot of is repetition on our offense."

Sports Logo

Default Re: Hornets pick up Steven Hunter for 2 second round picks

Damn.........Steven Hunter could be had for 2 2nd round draft picks?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Are you freaking, kidding me? We didn't move on that one?

*sigh*

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Damn.........Steven Hunter could be had for 2 2nd round draft picks?
    No kidding!!!

Wow...some nice pickups by the Hornets.

At this rate the hornets aren't gonna be drafting anytime in the near future......Well at least not in the second round....

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    No kidding!!!

Wow...some nice pickups by the Hornets.
    I don't know about Aaron Williams.....who I guess is a serviceable backup PF/C....but Steven Hunter is a solid backup Center that is fairly athletic. Someone could correct me....but he's more of a scoring / shotblocking Center that ( for whatever reason ) doesn't rebound as much as you think he should.

I'm more curious as to why the Sixers wanted to move him.....although they have Dalembert who gets the majority of the minutes......both madeup a rather solid Center rotation.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    I don't know about Aaron Williams.....who I guess is a serviceable backup PF/C....but Steven Hunter is a solid backup Center that is fairly athletic. Someone could correct me....but he's more of a scoring / shotblocking Center that ( for whatever reason ) doesn't rebound as much as you think he should.

I'm more curious as to why the Sixers wanted to move him.....although they have Dalembert who gets the majority of the minutes......both madeup a rather solid Center rotation.
    Because he's terrible?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    At this rate the hornets aren't gonna be drafting anytime in the near future......Well at least not in the second round....
    I know...its wierd....but the Hornets have a better record then the Pacers. They have quietly taken advantage of the Western Conference slumping teams like the TWolves / Warriors to move into the 8th playoff spot. Not bad for Byron Scott.

The Hornet were able to do this -- and 76ers were WILLING to do this -- in part becase NO/OK are under the cap and Philly are way OVER the cap.

This way, the 76ers get to shed some salary without taking any back.

So the idea of us missing out on Steven Hunter by offering 2 second round picks is a non-starter.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Well if they continue to improve, they could be making the wise choice. Because drafting in the second round usually isn't too great anyway, unless you're in the lower picks of the second round where you might find someone with hidden talent.

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    The Hornet were able to do this -- and 76ers were WILLING to do this -- in part becase NO/OK are under the cap and Philly are way OVER the cap.

This way, the 76ers get to shed some salary without taking any back.

So the idea of us missing out on Steven Hunter by offering 2 second round picks is a non-starter.
    Awwwww, it makes for good conjecture! Don't ruin it by bringing in things like that!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Part of the problem with acquiring Steven Hunter is he has a 5 year contract for 16.5 million dollars. He's only 24 but he does average 5 ppg , 3.5 rpg and a block a game. My guess is the committment to David Harrison and the fact Hunter has a 5 year deal is why he may not have aggressively went after him. Remember to Hunter is now playing for his 4th team in a 5 year career could he be a bad locker room guy?

Besides the 2- #2's the Hornets also sent a 2.8 mil trade exemption to the 76ers. The Pacers have a 2.5 exemption from the James Jones trade , so that would not have been a problem.

The Sixers biggest problem this season has been their lack of rebounding. They are something like 17-3 when they outrebound their opponent.

Despite his size Hunter is a horrible rebounder he has had games this year where he has played close to 20 minutes without a getting a rebound.

Comcast doesn't want to pay the luxury this season so Billy King dumped Hunter and replaced him with Zendon Hamilton who makes way less money. Now that gives King the flexibility to use the trade exception they recieved in the Marc Jackson deal this summer without having to pay the luxury tax.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Because he's terrible?

When given the chance and minutes when Dalembert was out....he seemed to do okay. Its not the greatest line....but in 25mpg in November he put up 7.6ppg/4.6rpg/1.4bpg while shooting 57% from the field while averaging 3 fouls.

I think he's servicable at best.

I think a rotation of Hunter/Harrison keeping JO at PF would have been very good given time.

I'm slightly sad about this.

the only thing that irks me about this and the aaron williams trades is that each of those players were acquired for 2 second round picks, but we could only get 1 second rounder for James Jones!?!

Makes me wish even more that we had just signed him and then, if necessary, traded him (or Freddie) during the season. Certainly we could've gotten more for him now that teams are reinforcing for the playoffs.

"I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Mood

wow,
    hornets made some pretty good moves within the last 24 hours.