Thread: Kobe is just a humble young man

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Kobe is just a humble young man

From RealGM

I can just see him sitting there blushing like a 14 yr old goig out on a date

(ah, gorsch maam, I didn't do nothun)

Embarrassed' Kobe Says He Isn't Chasing Wilt's 100
    31st January, 2006 - 4:12 am
    ESPN - Kobe Bryant feels a bit sheepish about his 81-point performance and says he is not caught up in a chase of Wilt Chamberlain's record of 100.

"I'm a little bit embarrassed, actually," Bryant told reporters Monday after the Los Angeles Lakers practiced for Tuesday's game against the New York Knicks .

"I think it's exciting for the game and the organization because of all the buzz, but personally it's a little embarrassing."

Bryant, who leads the NBA in scoring with a 35.9 average, said the bottom line for the Lakers (23-20) is winning.

"The concept is not about going out there and putting on a show or going out there and scoring points. It's to win games," he said. "Whatever it takes. You have to gauge the flow of the game and then decide when to pick your spot to take over.

"I'd much rather go out and score 25 points and get 10 assists and see everybody in a rhythm, everybody in a groove."

Bryant's 81 points Jan. 22 against the Toronto Raptors marked the second-highest individual scoring performance in NBA history behind only Chamberlain's 100-point night in 1962 for the Philadelphia Warriors against the Knicks.

Bryant said he was not pursuing the points record.

"I don't even think about it," he said of Chamberlain's record. "That's unthinkable. It was done once -- by Wilt, and I'm not Wilt." [READ]
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: Kobe is just a humble young man

At least Kobe plays for a team that I hate as much as him. Sorry if I'm kicking out the negative vibes this A.M., but I just detest him no matter what he accomplishes.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Just shut up Kobe. I don't even KNOW where to begin. Arrogant piece of crap. Great player, HORRIBLE BS'er.

stipo

Does anyone else think that Jackson may be letting Kobe make a fool of himself, and also get this kind of crap out of his system, as a means to an end? Meaning that maybe, MAYBE, someday Kobe can see team play is REALLY the only way to win and make a true meaningful legacy?

hmm, he would rather score 25 and get 10 assists and help his teamates get into a groove?. his shot totals and selection prove otherwise. he wants to win but only when he takes more shots than the other 2 or 3 highest shot takers on the team combined do.

And what teammates should he pass to? He's proven himself to me by having a winning record with that team, in that conference.

Tonight should be fun though, I'm going to see them play the Knicks in the Garden.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just shut up Kobe. I don't even KNOW where to begin. Arrogant piece of crap. Great player, HORRIBLE BS'er.
    Would you rather he not answer reporters' questions?

He's an impressive basketball player. If Jermaine hit half of every shot he took like Kobe did that night, then I would let him take every shot to. The only other person on the team capable of averaging over 20 points is Lamar Odom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you rather he not answer reporters' questions?
    Do you honestly think he is the least little bit "embarassed by all the attention"?

Uncomfortable, maybe, around his teammates with the obvious implication that he is a one-man team, but he is loving this to the max.

I'm sure that he and his agent have discussed the next line of "81" sneakers, "81" cologne, etc.

It just seems utterly insincere for him to try to paint himself as humble and loveable and nothing but a team guy. His ratio of 50+ point games to 10-assist games this year (his stated desire) is holding steady at infinity/error/division by zero???

i have no problem with his performance. He needed to take all those shots. That was an INCREDIBLE performance. His fake persona is a little irritating, that's all.

I looked up some stuff on Wilt's 100 point game and it seems that he was embarassed by having taken so many shots:

Al Attles (teammate): After the game, Wilt was in the dressing room and he wasn't celebrating like the rest of us.
    I said, "Wilt what's the matter?"
    He said, "I never thought I'd take 60 shots in a game."
    I said, "But you made 36--that's better than 50 percent."
    He said, "But Al--63 shots, Al."
    Then he just shook his head.

Frank McGuire (coach): I do think that we were more excited about the game than Wilt was. I do recall him sitting in that little locker room--it was nothing more than a high school dressing room with one long wooden bench in the middle where everyone sat. Wilt was holding the stat sheet, sweat pouring off his face, just staring at it.

Harvey Pollack (PR man): The one famous picture from the game is Wilt in the dressing room holding up a little sign that said, "100." The photographers wanted something special and I just grabbed a piece of paper, wrote 100 on it, Wilt held it up and it went all over the country.

Wilt Chamberlain: The 100-point game will never be as important to me as it is to some other people. That's because I'm embarrassed by it. After I got into the 80s, I pushed for 100 and it destroyed the game because I took shots that I normally never would. I was not real fluid. I mean, 63 shots? You take that many shots on the playground and no one ever wants you on their team again. I never considered myself a gunner. I led the league in scoring because I also led them in field goal percentage. I've had many better games than this one, games where I scored 50-60 and shot 75 percent.

http://wiltfan.tripod.com/onehundred.html