Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team USA may be completed soon...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Team USA may be completed soon...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...601310334/1127

U.S. wants Billups

Pistons point guard will be invited to play in World Championships and the 2008 Olympics.

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Advertisement

Robin Buckson/The Detroit News

Chauncey Billups hasn't said if he will accept the offer to play for the U.S. national team. See full image

* Printer friendly version
    * Comment on this story
    * Send this story to a friend
    * Get Home Delivery

AUBURN HILLS -- It appears, barring any unforeseen snag, Chauncey Billups will have a spot on the U.S. men's basketball team -- if he wants one.

"We want him to play," said Jerry Colangelo, who is in charge of assembling the team that will play in the World Championships this summer, potentially another qualifying tournament in the summer of 2007 and in the Olympics in 2008.

Colangelo said he planned to speak to Billups today. The only concern is a possible conflict this summer. Billups' wife, Piper, is expecting to deliver their third child in July or August.

"Would we be flexible with him as far as the pregnancy, absolutely," Colangelo said. "We just need to talk and work out the circumstances."

Billups, who took treatment on his bruised left thigh before flying to New Jersey where he is expected to play against the Nets tonight, declined to comment.

Colangelo said he was also waiting to hear from Tayshaun Prince and Richard Hamilton.

Kobe Bryant and LeBron James already have committed to the team. Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire and Allen Iverson are also expected to commit.

Colangelo has said his initial targets for the point guard position were Billups and Jason Kidd. Kidd, who will be 35 in the summer of 2008, has met with Colangelo. He said he wanted to discuss at length with his family before making the commitment.

Other point guards being considered include Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Steve Francis and Kirk Hinrich.

Colangelo is hoping to get final word from Elton Brand, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh and Marcus Camby.

He hopes to announce the team during All-Star weekend, Feb. 18-19.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Kestas

Default Re: Team USA may be completed soon...

so where are college players and European veterans that everybody talked so much about? this is just another NBA squad...

BOOOOOORING!

This team is going to be awful vs euro teams just like the last team. No shooting besides Kobe/Billups right? Why would we want Dwyane Wade on it again? The guy can't shoot. International ball needs shooters. We're gonna lose again . Why would we want Steve Francis? Yeah he's talented but he sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestas
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so where are college players and European veterans that everybody talked so much about? this is just another NBA squad...

BOOOOOORING!
    European veterans? WTF?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsfanbmiller
    This team is going to be awful vs euro teams just like the last team. No shooting besides Kobe/Billups right? Why would we want Dwyane Wade on it again? The guy can't shoot. International ball needs shooters. We're gonna lose again . Why would we want Steve Francis? Yeah he's talented but he sucks.
    Sorry, I must have missed the meeting where it was decided that Amare, Marion, Lebron, Kobe and Billups was an "awful" team. I don't care whose rules its played by.

You only need one or two shooters to break a team out of a zone. You dont need all 5 players on the court to hit threes.

Let Kobe hit 15 threes playing aganst air until whatever team we play decides to play man to man defense, and then our athletes can smother them.

Why would we want Dwayne Wade? Is that a joke? He's kinda improved his shot since 2004....

Not to mention, FIBA plays with the kiddy 3-point line. Well within Wade's improved range.

Kinda. It's like yeah you want him, but the guy can't shoot at all. This team was supposed to be different, with roleplayers on it+a few stars. Not just 1000000000 stars+ a few role players. You don't need that many scorers.

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    European veterans? WTF?
    proven Americans playing in Europe. what's there not to understand?

Why would we want Americans crappy enough that they weren't good enough to play in their own country? Because they know the rules better? Who cares.

Maceo Baston is a nice kid, but I don't want him representing my country.

Not like it matters. This is easily the most talented US team since 1996, led by the best SG and the best SF on the planet. If they lose a game to anybody, it'll be the biggest upset in the history of the world championships.

Kinda. It's like yeah you want him, but the guy can't shoot at all. This team was supposed to be different, with roleplayers on it+a few stars. Not just 1000000000 stars+ a few role players. You don't need that many scorers.
    Its a silly notion to just assume that stars can't sacrifice for the good of the team. Chauncey and Lebron have both shown their capable of deferring to others.

Kobe is the only guy on that list I see that hasn't shown he can play a #2 role, and as long as he's the only #1 option on the team, it'll be fine. Kobe can be the star of the team, and Billups and Lebron can be support players.

Meanwhile, the team is loaded with eveyrthing you could want on an international basketball team. If I had to pick a team, this is close to how I'd pick it.

Allen Iverson is probably going to be the 6th man for this team. That is freaking sick.

Banned

What? are you serious? Most of those guys I wouldn't pick for my local rec league team.

This year's team is going to be fine!

Kestas

Why would we want Americans crappy enough that they weren't good enough to play in their own country? Because they know the rules better? Who cares.
    yes, I do remember that you don't care about it

I can't complain though, coz US are not preparing the best they can as far as I see it. maybe that will improve, but no signs yet.
    sure, maybe this new team will beat everyone, but it will not be the best team for those competitions US can have imho. besides, everything your officials were telling about how versatile their team will be and how much will change, is going to the trash bucket. all they are doing is just compiling a pile of stars with no change in phylosophy whatsoever. in a way this is very dissapointing, because the Dream Team can not be recreated. USA needs to think wider.

Yeah, but they're all going to look for their shot instead of their teammate's shots(besides LeBron and Chauncey). Seriously, Steve Francis. That guy is a chucker. Not to mention LeBron is scoring 30 PPG on a great %. I like the team 1-3, Brand and Amare are good(well not if he can't come back from micro fracture). I'm just thinking it's kind of weird because Colangelo was talking about role players etc. Instead he's picking everyone who's having a great season. Maybe the role players will get bench spots, who knows.

yes, I do remember that you don't care about it

I can't complain though, coz US are not preparing the best tehy can as far as I see it. maybe that will improve, but no signs yet.
    sure, maybe this new team will beat everyone, but it will not be the best team foor those competitions US can have. besides, everything your officials were telling aobu how versatile their tema will be, is going to the trash bucket. all they are doing is just compiling a pile of stars with no change in phylosophy whatsoever.in a way this is very dissapointing, because the Dream Team can not be recreated. USA needs to think wider.
    Yeah. What versatility could possibly come from a team of Kobe, Lebron, Chauncey, Iverson, Marion, Wade and Stoudemire? No versatility there, nosirrreee....

I care about getting the gold medal back. This group is highly likely do do that for me in 2006 and 2008. Therefore, I'm happy.

Yeah, but they're all going to look for their shot instead of their teammate's shots(besides LeBron and Chauncey). Seriously, Steve Francis. That guy is a chucker. Not to mention LeBron is scoring 30 PPG on a great %. I like the team 1-3, Brand and Amare are good(well not if he can't come back from micro fracture). I'm just thinking it's kind of weird because Colangelo was talking about role players etc. Instead he's picking everyone who's having a great season. Maybe the role players will get bench spots, who knows.
    Steve Francis will never see the floor if he gets selected. If things go to plan, Chauncey will be the starting PG, and Iverson the backup. Francis will be the 3rd PG if the 5 guys in front of him pass up the opportunity.

Let's look at this logically:

1. Kobe can do his thing and be the #1 option, because there is nobody else on the team that cares if he is.

2. Chauncey is very capable of standing back sniping open 3-point shots all night long. The guy goes entire halves without attempting a shot, he doesnt need the ball to be effective.

3. LeBron has shown he can play any role. He scores 30ppg because thats the only way he can win. He's done plenty to prove he is capable of setting the table for others.

4. Amare, Marion and Dwight Howard do not need post touches to be effective. All three are finishers and rebounders. They aren't go-to guys.

5. Iverson can come off the bench as the 6th man and do his thing, which is to give the team a scoring lift off the bench. He's the perfect 6th man if he accepts the role.

6. Wade can take whatever minutes Kobes sits down for and fill the role of the #1 option.

I seriously don't see a big problem with the rotation on this team. All the peices look like they fit together, to me...

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    What? are you serious? Most of those guys I wouldn't pick for my local rec league team.
    what, you removed me from your blocked list?

I figured having people like me makes you feel better. thanks!

regarding your thought.. well, it is indeed very well motivated!
    man, I surrender. I guess your superior and insightfull knowledge of European basketball got me there, dude!

Kestas

I care about getting the gold medal back. This group is highly likely do do that for me in 2006 and 2008. Therefore, I'm happy.
    probably. but you can do better, deffinitely. world championships is not a club competition. one loss in the play-offs and you are screwed.

probably. but you can do better, deffinitely. world championships is not a club competition. one loss in the play-offs and you are screwed.
    I don't think so.

This team was constructed with international play in mind. Smaller, more athletic big men that defend and rebound but dont need to post up, and big guards and big forwards that can shoot over the top of zones and score on anybody off the dribble.

I thought this team was put together extremely well.

Nerd.
    Mood

I can't complain though, coz US are not preparing the best they can as far as I see it. maybe that will improve, but no signs yet.
    sure, maybe this new team will beat everyone, but it will not be the best team for those competitions US can have imho. besides, everything your officials were telling about how versatile their team will be and how much will change, is going to the trash bucket. all they are doing is just compiling a pile of stars with no change in phylosophy whatsoever. in a way this is very dissapointing, because the Dream Team can not be recreated. USA needs to think wider.

Okay, if this team is not the best one that the USA can field then who do you propose to add to the team, and who do you propose to take off of it?

What "proven" American stars in Europe do you propose on adding to this team? Expound, if you can.

Thanks!

With the need for shooters I'm a bit surprised not to see Ray Allen and Michael Redd being mentioned.

If they're getting together starting this summer our biggest weakness is gone though. Plus Coach K will be more flexible than LB - as long as the players pay attention to him.

Stevie Francis on the team would be an abomination though.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    Okay, if this team is not the best one that the USA can field then who do you propose to add to the team, and who do you propose to take off of it?
    What "proven" American stars in Europe do you propose on adding to this team? Expound, if you can.
    I would love to know that, but this question is too hard for me to answer, I'm afraid. it's very complicated, really. and if I mention some names from Europe, you will probably bash them anyways, so what's the point..
    imho the pool of tallent is so deep, it's mind boggling. I expected Collangelo and co. to do that research. in fact, I still expect him to invite at least a few non-NBA players. what i was trying to tell (and what seems to be the feeling outside US right now) is that having the best NBA players may not be enough (or it may turn out to be too much). sometimes less is better. looking at the current names it may appear that US will try to outplay everybody using the sheer individual tallent. but in reality the strength of basketball team is not the sum of the strenght of its individual players imho.. sometimes it may be much larger thant that sum. sometimes it can be much smaller though.

Nerd.
    Mood

I would love to know that, but this question is too hard for me to answer, I'm afraid. it's very complicated, really. and if I mention some names from Europe, you will probably bash them anyways, so what's the point..
    imho the pool of tallent is so deep, it's mind boggling. I expected Collangelo and co. to do that research. in fact, I still expect him to invite at least a few non-NBA players. what i was trying to tell (and what seems to be the feeling outside US right now) is that having the best NBA players may not be enough (or it may turn out to be too much). sometimes less is better. looking at the current names it may appear that US will try to outplay everybody using the sheer individual tallent. but in reality the strength of basketball team is not the sum of the strenght of its individual players imho.. sometimes it may be much larger thant that sum. sometimes it can be much smaller though.

So, basically you proposed a question of which you cannot answer...

I want some NAMES...

I think the biggest difference with this team and the last national team will be the coaching. Larry Brown is a good coach but he is too set in his ways and he didn't have alot of international experience. Mike D'antoni has coached and played in Italy so he understands the international game.

I thought what Brown's biggest mistake was that he let the international teams dictate the tempo of the games by playing a half court game instead of utilizing the athleticism and depth that the U.S. team had. He should have made it "40 minutes of hell" like Nolan Richardson and the Razorbacks use to do it , trap and press .

But, instead Larry was to busy complaining about what he didn't have instead of altering his game to his personnel. I understand it is important to have shooters, but there wasn't anything Larry could do during the competition to alter his personnel so I didn't understand why he complained so much. Plus I think L James, C Anthony and D Wade played very few minutes and Stoudimire played 0 minutes

As far as this up coming team I think they have some shooters but they don't have any set shooters they could remedy that adding JJ Redick. Another thing they could use is a couple of guys that are great at setting screens and are capable of hitting a consistent 15 footer ie B. Miller.

Lastly and most importantly the personnel for this up coming team is being selected with the understanding of the coaches style in mind. D'antoni, I think could have utilized the talent on the last team alot better than Brown. D'antoni is all about running so he needs heady pgs, finishers and guys that can hit a jump shot in an open full court game . He is persistant and comitted on playing a fast paced game and will not be lulled into a half court game. But with all that being said they should get a screener and a set shooter just incase they have to play half court Bball.

Banned

This is what I love about some of the Euros on internet message boards. Never, EVER, will/can they get into specifics about basketball or specific players...they always talk in generalities and whenever you call them on it, they back away.

I can't blame them, though..if I was stuck watching the equivalent of mid-major NCAA ball as a professional league I wouldn't bother learning about the game either.

I think some here are letting the fact that these players have recognizable names cloud their opinion of the team. Its been stated a couple of times in this thread (and IMO its true) that there are multiple players on this team who don't play prodominently individual ball.

Meanwhile, others here are being a little selective in their focus. I think everyone agrees that Francis is a poor choice (should he even be offered a try-out, which the article says isn't the case so far), but look at the other guys Collangelo is "waiting to hear from" Hamilton, Kidd, Prince (its a Detroit article, so of course it Detroit player centric). These are guys more then willing to 1) take a supportive role 2) make other guys better rather than focus on their individual stats. I've seen the comment "Why don't we just send the Pistons" on here more then once, it appears Collangelo is doing his best to get that done.

This team (though I agree it needs at least on more 3pt shooter) is leaps and bounds better then the last team in the forward spots alone.