Thread: Hornets will stay in OKC next year, and move back to N.O. in 2007

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hornets will stay in OKC next year, and move back to N.O. in 2007

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2309791

Report: Oklahoma City to host Hornets in 2006-07
    ESPN.com news services

The Hornets appear headed toward maintaining their home base in Oklahoma City, with several visits to New Orleans likely for the 2006-07 season, the Times-Picayune reported.

While the Hornets' number of games to be played in New Orleans next season is uncertain, the team is expected to return to the city full time for the 2007-08 season, according to the paper.

Hurricane Katrina forced the NBA franchise, along with other professional and college sports teams, to leave New Orleans last year.

While NBA commissioner David Stern has been leaning toward the Hornets ultimately returning to New Orleans, coach Byron Scott has expressed concerns about the timing.

"I really don't think they'll have the residency, the economics to support a second franchise," Scott told the newspaper on Thursday. "I think our attendance would probably be worse, because I don't think you have enough people. That's my main concern."

"We believe the Hornets' lease agreement requires them to return to New Orleans for the 2006-07 season," Louisiana Superdome Commission chairman Tim Coulon said in a statement quoted by the Times-Picayune. "We are aware of their concern regarding the ability of the market to support a 41-game season.

"The state ... has been diligently working with the Hornets and the NBA toward the same mutual goal: to assure the long-term success of NBA basketball in New Orleans. We have made every effort to make accurate, objective information and projections available to them. We believe they have made a long-term-commitment to New Orleans."

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Hornets will stay in OKC next year, and move back to N.O. in 2007

I figured they would end up going back to NO. I'm sure they will get more people to show up there anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I figured they would end up going back to NO. I'm sure they will get more people to show up there anyways.
    Perhaps in the long run; from what I've heard, though, the Hornets have been pretty popular in Oklahoma City so far. (Anybody have any attendance figures?)

EDIT: The Hornets had the worst attendance in the league last year. This year, they're in 11th place in the league, averaging more than 17,000 fans per game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2005

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    Perhaps in the long run; from what I've heard, though, the Hornets have been pretty popular in Oklahoma City so far. (Anybody have any attendance figures?)
    The Hornets are 11th in the NBA in attendance.

Lats year, they were dead last.

The year before, they were next-to-last.

New Orleans couldnt support the Hornets pre-Katrina, they probably will set all kinds of records for having nobody show up when they return.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Trust me...if it were not for the lease of New Orleans arena and terrible PR for both George Shinn, David Stern, and the NBA as a whole, Oklahoma City would be keeping the Hornets.

I have been actually following this for a while because the move to New Orleans was a mistake to begin with. When the city of Charlotte called George Shinns bluff, Shinns only recourse was to move as soon as possible.

The Hornets will just go back to being a P.O.S. franchise that can barely average 14,000 for a play-off series. PR aside...the right move for that franchise is to stay in OKC!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

OKC and N.O. are very similiar towns in terms of fanbase.

The difference is, N.O. has the saints to support and OKC has nobody.

Clearly, being the only show in OKC is much, much better than being the #2 show in New Orleans.

Wow thats pretty astonishing. I'm sure they are returning because it wouldn't be right to leave the city from a sentimental standpoint. But damn, I'm still pretty surprised they are returning to NO if they are making alot more money in OKC.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They should stay in Oklahoma City. I'm not sure Nawlins will even be habitable again in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I'm not sure Nawlins will even be habitable again in two years.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Shade.

It is a relief in one aspect of the probable return though. See, with as bad as Shinn is, he is on a whole other level than Benson. If there were no Saints to support, I would agree that the Hornets become the #1 ticket and would do much better in attendance then they have.

I give props to OK, they are doing a great job, and as a person that makes most of the Hornets games pre-Katrina, I think it is a reassuring sign.

I do like the thought of them coming back, because with the lack of homes for people right now, there are not nearly enough jobs to be filled and thus things could very easily over the next years (hell, 6 months) start to break down completely.

Here's to having my fingers crossed that my life takes no further turns to the negative!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    OKC and N.O. are very similiar towns in terms of fanbase.

The difference is, N.O. has the saints to support and OKC has nobody.

Clearly, being the only show in OKC is much, much better than being the #2 show in New Orleans.
    n.o. was the poorest big city in the u.s. and was outdated with the saftey of its dam. it sinks every year and they have 2 pump all kinds of water out. its just a bad deal. im sure okc was in better shape before katrina
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

[QUOTE=BayouPacer]Thanks for the vote of confidence Shade.

It is a relief in one aspect of the probable return though.
    I give props to OK, they are doing a great job, and as a person that makes most of the Hornets games pre-Katrina, I think it is a reassuring sign.

good luck perhaps ur city will be in even better shape in the long haul. i have fam there.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Quote Originally Posted by larry
    n.o. was the poorest big city in the u.s. and was outdated with the saftey of its dam. it sinks every year and they have 2 pump all kinds of water out. its just a bad deal. im sure okc was in better shape before katrina
    ......and yet they can support an NFL franchise by selling out every game....

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    ......and yet they can support an NFL franchise by selling out every game....
    A bad NFL franchise at that. The Saints are mediocre in almost every aspect and they don't even have Aaron Brooks starting at QB anymore.

The point is, N.O. has plenty of fans and money to support the Saints, but they can't support two franchises. OKC has no such problem.

And the hope from the people down here, myself included, is a hope that Benson will take the Saints out of town and the Hornets can become that #1 show.

That being said, if the Saints were to go under new ownership, I would want them back for sure, but as of right now, Benson can take himself elsewhere.