Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rumblings at Conseco today?

DG-33

Default Re: Rumblings at Conseco today?

Andre Miller would be great here. He's a really under appreciated player.

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would love it if the Andre Miller and Pietrus deals happen...

On the Kevin Garnett thing, O'Neal and Tinsley for Garnett works money wise... Even with the BYC stuff.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

This sounds more like sewing circle rumoring to me. A guy who works there is seeing odd events, and is only speculating on what they might mean.

Now look at this: http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18743

On our very own forum, we have an article showing that Bird was meeting with players. It seems likely that these are the same events.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    On the Kevin Garnett thing, O'Neal and Tinsley for Garnett works money wise... Even with the BYC stuff.
    I believe O Neal and Garnett works straight up due as well. Due to the huge sums o' cash involved and the percentages necessary to fulfill the CBA, you can punch in some other players and it still works.

...Pretty sure 'straight up' works... altho I doubt 'straigh up' would ever get it done.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Gimme Pietrus!

But, this is the same guy who said we were gonna get a big trade from Seattle a long time ago. I don't buy his stuff.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Displaced is correct, which makes most of what is written bs, sorry, but to state that Bender's contract has any value whatsoever this year is bull, he can only retire on medical grounds and not count against the LT for the Pacers, if he's traded, the new team can NOT insure his injuries, they can not get a trade excemption, nor can he retire with his salary coming of the cap/LT.

And he HAS another year on his contract.

In order to rumour, there has to be validity in truth, this hasn't.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

If you guys get 'Dre Miller, you would be laughing. JO, Pedja and Dre would be a pretty good trio to build around.

Personally I don't think him flubbing the Bender thing discredits him completely. People get that mixed up all the time, so it's hardly a shock. Doesn't speak at all about the probability that he's actually hearing those rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Personally I don't think him flubbing the Bender thing discredits him completely. People get that mixed up all the time, so it's hardly a shock. Doesn't speak at all about the probability that he's actually hearing those rumors.
    It wouldn't hurt to see an official or at least authorative source back up Able's claims that it's not possible. We get Pacer beat writers, ESPN writers, local reporters, national reporters, forum posters, bloggers, etc all talking about the possibility of using Bender in a trade and Able's lone voice telling us that it's not possible.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    It wouldn't hurt to see an official or at least authorative source back up Able's claims that it's not possible. We get Pacer beat writers, ESPN writers, local reporters, national reporters, forum posters, bloggers, etc all talking about the possibility of using Bender in a trade and Able's lone voice telling us that it's not possible.

-Bball
    try Larry Coon's page, it confirms what I'm saying (and Displacedknick)

53. How do retired players count against the cap?

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player has retired. For example, James Worthy retired in 1994, two years before his contract ended. He continued to receive his salary for the 1994-95 and 1995-96 seasons, so his salary was included in the Lakers' team salary in those seasons. It is at the team's discretion (or as the result of an agreement between the team and player) whether to continue to pay the player after he has retired.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). This provision can also be used when a player dies while under contract.

Teams are not allowed to trade for disabled players and then apply for this salary cap relief. Only the team for which the player was playing when he was disabled may request this relief.

If a player retires, even for medical reasons, his team does not receive a salary cap exception to acquire a replacement player.

56. Do injured players count against the cap?

Injured players are included in team salary. The exception is for players who are forced to retire for medical reasons -- see question number 53 for details.

In certain cases, teams can gain an exception which allows them to exceed the cap to sign a replacement. See question number 19 for more information on the Disabled Player exception.

DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (if the player is disabled between July 1 and November 30) or the following season (if the player is disabled after November 30). This exception can also be granted in the event of a player's death. This exception can only be used to acquire one player. The maximum salary for the replacement player is 50% of the injured player's salary, or the average salary, whichever is less (see question number 24 for the definition of "average salary"). Approval from the league (based on a determination by an NBA-designated physician) is required for this exception to be used. This exception can be used to sign a free agent, or to create room to accept a salary in trade. When used for trade, the team may acquire a player whose salary (including any trade bonus) is up to 100% of this exception plus $100,000 (not 125%). Also see question number 20 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

If a player is disabled between July 1 and November 30, the team must acquire the replacement player within 45 days. If the player is disabled between December 1 and June 30, then the team has until October 1 to sign a replacement. If the disabled player comes back sooner than expected, then he may be activated immediately, and the replacement player is not affected. However, if the disabled player comes back before the exception is used, then the exception is lost.

Teams sometimes have had difficulty getting the NBA to approve an injury exception. For example, Danny Manning tore an ACL toward the end of the 1997-98 season, yet the NBA did not approve the Suns for this exception. More recently, the Magic did not receive this exception in 2003 for Grant Hill. However, this exception was granted in the 1999 offseason to San Antonio, so they could replace Sean Elliott, who was disabled due to kidney problems. This exception was also granted to Charlotte soon after Bobby Phills was killed.

Don't confuse this exception with the salary cap relief teams can apply for a year after losing a player to a career-ending injury or death (see question number 53). This exception allows a team to acquire a replacement player. The salary cap relief removes a contract from the books.

Quote Originally Posted by able
    try Larry Coon's page, it confirms what I'm saying (and Displacedknick)
    I'm saying you need to tell some of the media and get them to correct it... or have them explain what loophole this "trade Bender" exists in.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I'm saying you need to tell some of the media and get them to correct it... or have them explain what loophole this "trade Bender" exists in.

-Bball
    1: there is no loophole
    2: Why would I do the work for a moron who get's paid better then me to begin with ?

Quote Originally Posted by able
    1: there is no loophole
    2: Why would I do the work for a moron who get's paid better then me to begin with ?

For the cocky, arrogant feeling of "I knew it all along" and now the world does too... or "I told you so".

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Well, technically Bender isn't disabled (officially; unofficially of course he is). He's just on the IR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Well, technically Bender isn't disabled (officially; unofficially of course he is). He's just on the IR.

True... and if there is a loophole it would be along those lines AND with the fact that there's the possibility his medical report doesn't rule out basketball, it just confirms it would be painful.

-BBall

------

-John Wooden

True... and if there is a loophole it would be along those lines AND with the fact that there's the possibility his medical report doesn't rule out basketball, it just confirms it would be painful.

-BBall
    Exactly. He more than likely would pass a physical (or the teams waive the physical) but he probably wouldn't ever play again due to the pain his knees are in. He would then seek a buyout of his contract and retire outright (not become a medical exception).

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    Exactly. He more than likely would pass a physical (or the teams waive the physical) but he probably wouldn't ever play again due to the pain his knees are in. He would then seek a buyout of his contract and retire outright (not become a medical exception).

Daggone guys...talk about reaching. I think what he points out is very clear and jibes with what I've read elsewhere.

Able....was that a rules change? Didn't we get somekind of relief for Danny Ferry retiring after we traded for him?
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Daggone guys...talk about reaching. I think what he points out is very clear and jibes with what I've read elsewhere.

Able....was that a rules change? Didn't we get somekind of relief for Danny Ferry retiring after we traded for him?
    Danny Ferry's contract was not guaranteed. If he was cut by training camp he did not get paid.

He waited untill almost the last minute to give the chance for the Pacers to trade him but they never did they just cut him.

Sports Logo

Once Bender offcially retires they will get a medical exemption which we can use to either sign or trade for a player.

The question is could there be a time limit on when they can use that? If so that could explain the delay.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll tell ya one thing, Smash is not above making up all kinds of wild and totally believable things and posting them. BUT...it comes after 1 or 2 things has happened:
    1) Some idiot keeps trying to tell him what is going on and has no clue...and won't shut-up
    2) He has suffered thru days of wild and rediculous trade speculation and other idocese. And decides to give people something to chew on to show them how rediculous they are.

But Peck is right...this is dif. When Smash is Smash he is "in Character" and to some it's obvious and to others it seems "normal". He is not in character here. And I'm marking it down on my calendar. I know that he used to be VERY tight with the organization (and yes, I know how) and I know he still maintains contacts there, and he would cut off his arm rather than say anything that might "out" his friends. Having said all that, Peck is the better one to ask about Smash, I've only talked a few times to him over the last 4-5 years...and he didn't suffer me very well at first...since I'm a newbie.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

DG-33

"Smash" has no ties to the Pacers. Never has, never will. Neither does diamond_dave or anyone else. Noones ever right about any of these crazy "rumors" because they're always made up.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DG-33
    "Smash" has no ties to the Pacers. Never has, never will. Neither does diamond_dave or anyone else. Noones ever right about any of these crazy "rumors" because they're always made up.
    GetOdom???
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

I know Clublakers is going wild with this rumor.They already have a 10pg thread.