Thread: I forsee things happening at the deadline.....

Question I forsee things happening at the deadline.....

This has been flirted with on other threads, but I didn't see a thread for it.

With the way this TEAM has played lately, and I say team because it's not about the Ron distractions, I truely feel that Donnie and Larry will try and shake things up before the deadline. Not to mention that they have already been talking with other teams.

The Chemistry is now shot with this team and, as others have said, something has to give.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I forsee things happening at the deadline.....

Even Mike Wells feels the Pacers will make another trade,

It would be unpopular with most but I can see Fred Jones being moved for someone like Chris Wilcox. Two players who will be restricted free agents following the season.

Anthony Johnson , might be moved. Jamaal Tinsley will be hard to move but you never know. But I get a feeling Stephen Jackson is going nowhere. Even a deal involving Austin Croshere would not be a shocker.

Feb.23rd is still almost 4 weeks away could be very interesting , a lot will be decided in the next few games without Jermaine and with Peja.

Sports Logo

I wouldn't be surprised if either AJ/Freddie/Croshere/Foster ( all players supposedly rumored to be included in any previous Artest-rumor for salary-matching reasons but I think also for cap-relief ) would be moved for draft picks, some backup type PF/C player with a 2-3 year contract or a player with an expiring contract. My money is on AJ or Freddie as we are thin up front.

Tinsley is too hard to move this season....and despite my wishes to move SJax now...I think that the Pacers will keep him simply cuz we will need him to be competitive to make a playoff push without JONeal.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

We have exactly one expiring big dollar contract.

Guess who I think will be most likely to leave at the deadline?

Hard to predict, but personally I before the deadline would only sign a tall and strong player - PF or C - for 10 days. No other changes, unless smth very good and unexpected is offered. This team needs to relax and consolidate now.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have exactly one expiring big dollar contract.

Guess who I think will be most likely to leave at the deadline?
    If the Pacers intended to replace Pollard's salary with another player's new long-term contract, they would have traded him in an Artest deal.

If Pollard gets traded for something other than a larger expiring contract I will be shocked. The Pacers probably intend to let his contract expire and gain the luxury tax relief next year.

I would hesitantly accept a Jones-for-Wilcox trade. I don't think Freddie is in our plans, so if DW/LB like Wilcox then it makes sense, particularly with JO down.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Quote Originally Posted by SwissExpress
    Hard to predict, but personally I before the deadline would only sign a tall and strong player - PF or C - for 10 days. No other changes, unless smth very good and unexpected is offered. This team needs to relax and consolidate now.
    yup

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This team is ultimately going to go younger and athletic. I see Freddie, SJax, Saras, Harrison and Granger staying. Everyone else (including JO) are probably being shopped.

JO and Tinsley are unbelievable when they are healthy and have their heads in the game. That is too infrequent though. This team needs guys who stay healthy. Foster, Pollard, Croshere, Tinsley, JO, and of course Bender are hurt too often. It hurts the continuity and chemistry of the team. I don't necessarily think it's a matter of conditioning as much as it is a matter of style of play and bad physiology. These guys are injury prone and probably always will be.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Normally, I would say there's no chance. But since this team is already severely messed up and JO is out for the foreseeable future, there could easily be another deal or two to get done. We need to scrap building around JO/Ron and now build around JO/Peja, and we may as well start the process now. I just hope we don't do any crappy trades.

Our championship hopes are gone for this year so I think Bird and Walsh will look to retool. If they can make a trade before the trade deadline I believe they will. As for the chances of each player being traded, here's what I think.

10% JO- won't be traded unless someone like Bosh is available, and since he/JO is injured it wouldn't be until this summer. I think he needs to have an easy summer so his body can heal and he won't be getting so many injuries.

50% Croshere-I don't think the Pacers are looking to move him, but they will if a good deal materializes.

0% Bender- they want him to retire.

25% Pollard- has an expiring contract so unless a deal is pretty good the Pacers will keep him to lower their own payroll. He's a big, so would probably be resigned to a minimum contract.

100% Tinsley-I think he is either gone by the deadline or this summer. He's injury prone, has a questionable attitude at the best of times, and sometimes has his own agenda.

100% Jackson- a problem child that can't keep his mouth shut. Probably gone by the deadline.

25% Foster- good player, good attitude, perfect backup. Seemingly has learned to shoot free throws. If he could hit the 15 footer too would be dynamite. Not likely to be traded.

10% Jasikevicius- not going anywhere.

75% Johnson- probably sealed his fate when he was slow to get off the floor and got a tech called on the Pacers for 6 men on the floor.

60% Jones- right now the only Pacer that can guard quick guards. Probably will be traded because he's a free agent that will enhance his value to more than the Pacers want to pay with JO out.

00% Granger- I suppose there are scenario's where the Pacers would trade him, but very unlikely because he's already a good player, he has loads of potential, plus he's a good citizen.

75% Gill-the only reason he would be traded is to make salaries match.

25% Harrison-still RAW. has potential because of his size, but something of a flake.

--% Peja- pretty much of an unknown at this time.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I like your percentages, Will, but I wonder are they based solely on basketball factors and not as much on money?

For instance, I totally agree that Jax must go, but does his contract make that difficult? Isn't it more likely that TPTB will go head over heart on this matter? I hate it, but that seems likely to me. I will the happiest if it isn't.

I disagree on AJ. Methinks your talking with your heart again (I do the same--I'd like to see AJ traded!), but the AJ thing was really an anomaly. He is usually always the good soldier, doing exactly what Rick wants, which is precisely why he gets so many dadgum minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    I like your percentages, Will, but I wonder are they based solely on basketball factors and not as much on money?
    They were based on what I thought the chances of them being traded by the Pacers were. In reality, I think the guys I assigned 80% and above are gone, and the guys below 20% aren't going anywhere. The guys in between, it would depend on the deal.

This scares me because I think part of the reason were playing bad is because some players were scared they would be moved. To get out of this slump we need everybody to be playing well,and with more trade rumors it will be hard. I know this season is pretty much a bust and I should be thinking about next year and not worrying what is going on now, but I hate to loose.