Thread: For those of you who wondered why we drafted Darko.....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default For those of you who wondered why we drafted Darko.....

...PLEASE tell me Carmello Anthony would have made a difference last night, as opposed to a stud big man.......

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: For those of you who wondered why we drafted Darko.....

One more guy to have to stop. We only have one Artest. Potentially could have been a thorn.

One more guy to have to stop. We only have one Artest. Potentially could have been a thorn.
    ....one guy that gets to go against Artest, which plays to your strength...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

In a couple years when at least Prince, and Okur get more experience, and Darko gets some playing time(hopefully) it will be a lot different. Right now though, there's no way the Pacers contain Billups, Hamilton, AND Anthony. Anthony right now is so much of a superior offensive player than Prince, and really against Artest on defense, it's about the same, they're both too weak to do anything against Ron. Prince is better defensively most of the time than Anthony but not against Artest.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BRING IN DARKO!!!

...PLEASE tell me Carmello Anthony would have made a difference last night, as opposed to a stud big man.......
    Well, he probably would have done more than Prince.

Well, he probably would have done more than Prince.
    I'm not debating Pince>Mello. I'm debating Darko+Prince>Mello.

I never said DArko would have helped LAST NIGHT, I AM saying that it gives us a big man to throw someone out there that can match JO's talent over the next 12 years....

BTW, Darko reminds me more and more of JO as far as his attitude goes, at the same age.....

Theres also another angle you can look at in this scenario. I'm not saying its the right angle but it can be debated. The Pistons could have easily traded the pick for a young talented big man already established in the NBA like when the bulls traded Elton Brand for a high pick a couple of years ago. If Elton Brand was on the Pistons last night then they may have won the game; there are plenty of quality players they could have gotten for that pick; they may have even been able to pry Randolph from the Blazers before his breakout season this year with that #2 pick.

The 2nd pick in the draft has alot of value in a trade and for a team that was in contention right now for a Championship they could have easily obtained a terrific young player who was already established in the NBA. Dumars decided he would rather take a gamble because of Milicic's potential greatness which is fine but you can make an argument that they may have been better off trading the pick for a good young big man already in the league. Only time will tell if the gamble was the right call and Milicic is the only one who can provide the anwser.

Carmelo Anthony would have made a difference last night, as opposed to a stud big man.

Happy?

Is Detroit deep? No, not really. They're not terrible but they could be deeper. Would Melo average 18 pts a game on Detroit-probably not. But what he would bring is more offensive punch for a team that seems lacking in the big offensive punch. Hamilton is OK but he is soooo small. He's quick but he's not that physical and playing against a physical team like Indiana causes him to be less of a factor late in the game. And I like Hamilton. I like Larry Brown. I like Ben Wallace. I don't like Chauncey Billups because of what he did when he was with Colorado vs. IU in the NCAA tourney. Prince is from KU so I don't like him either. I respect Detroit (which obviously is why they play the game-to gain my respect) and hope they finish 2nd in the central and we play them in the 3rd round of the conference finals. That way, the 2 best teams are playing in the conference finals in the East.

To sum up: Carmelo Anthony would have made a difference last night. Enough to create a win for Detroit-I don't know. But Detroit would be better with him RIGHT NOW than they are with Darko RIGHT NOW.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

Nerd.
    Mood

What if Darko turns out to be Jonathan Bender-Redux?

"I don't like Chauncey Billups because of what he did when he was with Colorado vs. IU in the NCAA tourney."

That's weird, that's why I DO like him.
    I'm IU with Bobby Knight all the way. It is a very sore spot. Especially the picture of the jumbo tron at the arena during the second half wth a shot of Knight with his head in his hands, just disgusted.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Carmello would have made a big difference, IMO.

Nobody will really know if it was a mistake to draft Darko till 3 or 4 years from now. I'm betting Detroit will regret it for the next 10 years, but that's opinion I could be wrong.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"