Thread: Bird Threatens???

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bird Threatens???

Interesting Bird comment at the end, sounds as tho they've had some team "discussions".
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/601270500
    IndyStar.com Sports Pacers
    January 27, 2006

Artest watch is over, but Pacers hit midpoint in disarray
    By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com
    The Indiana Pacers started coming together weeks before training camp at the urging of their outspoken leader, Jermaine O'Neal.
    Ron's world
    Ron Artest was a guest on Fox Sports' "Best Damn Sports Show Period" on Wednesday night. Here are some of the things he had to say:

"I feel blessed to be a King right now."

Asked whether trading for him is a gamble:

"I think given the circumstances I've been under, the things I have been through, everything I've been a part of -- yeah, that's a fair statement. I just want to prove everybody wrong and do the right thing by the Sacramento Kings. . . . It's a gamble, but at the same time, I'm going to try to prove everybody wrong, that it was a good choice. . . . At first I didn't want to prove (the media was) wrong, but it's time by now that I start proving everybody wrong."

"I got a lot of love for Indiana still, but it's going to feel good to go to Sacramento."

"I'm going to try to make people see a different Ron Artest. One that's less controversial, but at the same time, I'm going to be myself and have fun."

Asked whether Kobe Bryant could score 81 points against him:

"Why are you trying to insult me? I'll leave that for the other weak defenders in the NBA."

Today's game
    • Who: Cavaliers (23-17) at Pacers (21-20).
    • When: 7 p.m.
    • TV: ESPN, FSN Midwest.
    • Radio: WIBC-1070 AM.

They laughed, slapped hands, cracked jokes and talked about overtaking the Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference.
    Half a season later, poor team chemistry, injuries and the Ron Artest sideshow have led to a 21-20 record and derailed all talk of the Pacers winning a championship.
    The Pacers solved one problem Wednesday by trading Artest, but the outlook was gloomy again Thursday after they learned O'Neal could miss the rest of the regular season with a torn left groin. The Pacers are in seventh place in the Eastern Conference; eight teams from each conference reach the playoffs.
    "I think as far as season goals go still, I can't answer that question," forward Austin Croshere said. "Right now we're at such a low point that it's a matter of getting back to the basic elements of the game, which is playing as hard as you can, scrapping for loose balls. A lot of times when you kind of hit bottom like that, you just have to fight, scrap and claw your way out of things.
    "You really pay lip service to the idea of taking it one game at a time at a lot of points during the season when that's not always the case. But this is really one game at a time with the way we've been playing and how bad it's been. It's a matter of getting back to the basics."
    The Pacers have lost six of their past eight games, including four straight. It's the way they're losing that has team president Larry Bird wondering what's going on with the team that he and CEO Donnie Walsh thought could compete with San Antonio and Detroit for a title.
    "I never dreamed that it would be like this," Bird said. "We're very disappointed in the fact that we had the guys here to do it and to get off to the start we did is very frustrating. We've gone downhill since then. But hopefully we're back on the right track and we can move forward."
    Bird believes that the acquisition of Peja Stojakovic and the team's depth should allow them to remain in playoff contention without O'Neal. The Pacers play Cleveland tonight, but the 28-year-old Stojakovic likely won't make his debut until Tuesday night in Washington.
    "Our goal has to be that we make sure we make the playoffs and be ready to push even further when Jermaine gets back," Bird said. "His injury isn't the best thing to happen, but we have to get through it. It's good we got Peja. It's going to take him a little bit of time to get used to things, but he'll definitely be able to help out."
    The Pacers were in a similar position last season when O'Neal missed 22 games late in the season with a shoulder injury. The Pacers went 15-7 in that span, going to a more up-tempo style to offset the lack of an inside presence. They plan to resort to that style again. Stephen Jackson and Fred Jones likely will be the team's top two scoring options until Stojakovic finds his niche.
    "With the talent level we have right now, our margin of error is small," said Croshere, who will start in O'Neal's absence. "We can't get away with the same things we could have when our talent level was that much higher. We need to execute things better to make up for the talent we don't have." The Pacers have several issues that go beyond replacing O'Neal and Artest.
    Cohesiveness has been a problem. Bird has told players the effort and attitude have to improve. Coach Rick Carlisle has referred to the team as "selfish" after games on several occasions.
    "There's going to be some changes in the way they play," Bird said. "It's like they're just going through the motions out there at times. We've talked to them and expressed our frustrations, and if it continues to happen, we'll probably have to look in another direction, because one thing we're going to do is put a competitive team out on the court."
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bird Threatens???

Thanks Larry!!!!!!!

Either the players come to play EVERY MINUTE of EVERY NIGHT or trade their sorry a**es to Atlanta or Toronto. I think this team will respond without O'Neal. They seem like a more cohesive team when he's out for some reason.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Saying something and doing something are two different things. We'll see...

Sure wish we'd be able to pry Al from Atlanta now......

Pacesetter

Larry has proven beyond any doubt he can be patient with players. I believed he would come in and shake things up but he really hasn't done that. He gave Ron plenty of flexibility, even posed on the cover of SI. Now though I think it's time for Larry to roll his sleeves up and do what he needs to do to get this team going.

Mood

bout damn time.

Talk is cheap.......I will believe it when I see it. Larry is way to forgiving of the players (as is Donnie) so I don't see anything changing unless someone forces his hand ala Artest.

Everybody here makes alot of assumptions about things they accept as fact. I am realistic enough to realize that I have no idea what Larry and Donnie planned on doing with Ron. Many think they were trying to polish up Ron and ship him out after he had some decent trade value. Did they or were they waiting on him? One thing is for certain, after the brawl his trade value went way down and waiting did seem to bring it up some.

Larry made some tough decisions as a coach and I'm sure he'll do the same in management. He had to sit his friend Chris Mullin down when it became apparent that Rose had eclipsed him as a better player. So, I have no reservations that Bird will ship off whomever he deems expendable, but I laugh at the folks who minimize how complicated a trade is. And he was anything but patient with guys like Rik Smits. He would just stare at him sometimes.

Even if he is going to blow up the team, he could be doing trades for the next year. Most of the changes would probably happen in the summer.

Don't think many here can possibly have any idea what it's like to deal with professional athletes. These guys have been coddled since grade school. We aren't dealing with normal people here. Heck, they have CLASSES for rookies on stuff like paying your bills, etc
    Did they let it go on way to long. Yep
    Is there a reason for it. Yep

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks Larry!!!!!!!

Either the players come to play EVERY MINUTE of EVERY NIGHT or trade their sorry a**es to Atlanta or Toronto. I think this team will respond without O'Neal. They seem like a more cohesive team when he's out for some reason.

Oh they are. It's easier to move the ball around when you don't have to play the "dump and watch" game that we play when JO is in there. A LOT more ball movement.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While I like Bird's comment I still have to wonder if TPTB are all on the same page or not. That means are Bird, Walsh, and Carlisle talking the talk and walking the walk in perfect harmony and do they have the Simons' blessings to make it happen?

It sure doesn't appear that way... From style of play Carlisle seems to be coaching to roster moves (or lack of moves)... 4 PG's...still??? JO Isoball every play?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I believe Larry,he's not gonna mess around.He didnt like losing as a player or as a coach.Why would that change now?.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Pacesetter

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I like Bird's comment I still have to wonder if TPTB are all on the same page or not. That means are Bird, Walsh, and Carlisle talking the talk and walking the walk in perfect harmony and do they have the Simons' blessings to make it happen?

It sure doesn't appear that way... From style of play Carlisle seems to be coaching to roster moves (or lack of moves)... 4 PG's...still??? JO Isoball every play?

-Bball
    I understand what your saying bball, and it does make ya think, but ...

Could it be, that when a team goes through something like the Pacers have gone through with Ron Artest & injury proned JB, that it can start to begin the process of collapsing from within? In all honesty I believe that Ron's situation has caused 99% of what has happened to this team from top to bottom, coaching staff, players, management, et al. The whole enchilada has suffered and the doubting Thomas' have run amok. It's entirely understandable, but that doesn't mean our whole system is flawed or even other parts of our system. It requires a wait and see approach before going crazy with trades and firings.

IMO, this whole thing is going to snap back into place and when it finally does everyone who enjoys this fanchise will sense a tremendous amount of relief, AND the greatest thing in my mind is this organization will be much better than it was before. They'll come back as true contenders without all the cracks! I just sense this is what's going to happen.